post #361 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

If you don't care about the UI, then why not just use a cable company DVR?

I know several people with Comcast and FiOS DVRs. They miss more recordings every few months than I have in nine years of using TiVo. I have over 200 recordings on my Premieres so far. No issues. No lost recordings. No conflict issues. The cable company DVRs are really, really bad.
the TiVo is rock solid with recordings and conflict management.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The TiVo Premiere, even in it's not-quite-finished state, is much better than the cable company DVR

That is something we agree on, but at the same time, it's a very low bar.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #363 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

from what I've read the Series3 was pretty buggy when it went out the door too.

I also had a Series3 on day one and that isn't the way I remember it. Although it is true that many of the features of the Series2, like MRV and TTG, didn't ship with the Series3.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #364 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The cable company DVRs are really, really bad.

Yep, but just because they don't compare to TiVo doesn't mean the TiVo Premier is good.
Quote:

the TiVo is rock solid with recordings and conflict management.

Yes it is, which is the best thing about TiVo. Now, what about everything else?

Ben
Engadget HD
post #365 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yep, but just because they don't compare to TiVo doesn't mean the TiVo Premier is good.

Yes it is, which is the best thing about TiVo. Now, what about everything else?

I'm not having issues with my Premieres. They have been very good. And the best thing is they will get even better.

People have been talking about HD menus freezing for 2 or 3 minutes. That has never happened on the seven Premieres I have setup. the longest an HD menu will take is a few seconds on my boxes, usually it's quicker.

LED DLP

post #366 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

People have been talking about HD menus freezing for 2 or 3 minutes. That has never happened on the seven Premieres I have setup. the longest an HD menu will take is a few seconds on my boxes, usually it's quicker.

TiVo addressed most of the stability issues in the 11.0c software. I believe there are still some issues related to the use of certain older IR codes, which some users have programmed on their Harmony remotes.

As I've mentioned several times, I don't find the HDUI usable given the lag on the My Shows menu. I will not wait 2-4 seconds for the "working" icon every time I click through to the next page on the recorded list. I expect every page to refresh in 0.5s or less, and I won't be switching back to the HDUI until it does.

Anyone satisfied with the TiVo HD should be more than satisfied with the classic menus on the Series4 (Premiere). In addition to superior network throughput, the Premiere noticeably improves responsiveness in classic and makes some useful tweaks to improve usability. Examples include the new press-and-hold trickplay functions, USB keyboard support, more video output options (incl. 1080p24), improved handling of delete notifications, new channel logos in the recorded list, and a 15 minute menu timeout for liveTV. Further explanation in my review, last updated 4/17.

At this point, I think it would be unwise to purchase a Tivo HD / Series3, unless it can be had at a substantial discount from the Premiere. TiVo is working on some long-requested improvements, not all of which are UI related. Today, the Series4 functions as a faster Series3 for those that find the HDUI unusable, but that won't be the case in another year.
post #367 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

improved handling of delete notifications

Have they fixed the bug with the deleted folder where it keeps jumping back to the top of the list? It drives me crazy every time I need to restore multiple programs(I have a 1TB drive so I generally have 100+ items in my deleted folder). After each restore it pops me back to the top of the list and I need to page down multiple times to get back to where I was before.
Other menus including the to do list do not act this way. I believe I've been told this quirk has been around as long as the Tivo HD, maybe longer.
post #368 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Have they fixed the bug with the deleted folder where it keeps jumping back to the top of the list? It drives me crazy every time I need to restore multiple programs(I have a 1TB drive so I generally have 100+ items in my deleted folder). After each restore it pops me back to the top of the list and I need to page down multiple times to get back to where I was before.

Yes, that is one of several older "quirks" fixed in the 14.x software on the Premiere.

I expect the TivoHD / Series3 to get a variant of the 14.x software later this year. It should have that fix.
post #369 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

bfdtv,

There seems to be some confusion about the use of the cores in the TP. Your review states (stated) that the HDUI was using both cores, while Nilay of Engadget said in his review that his understanding was that even the HDUI was only using one of the two cores.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #370 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

To me the whole HD UI is just eye candy anyway, I watch programs not UI but to each his own. Even with HD UI disabled you still have much faster transfers with the Premiere

Well said. I too am perfectly happy with the "classic" UI on the TiVo HD. If the Premier makes that UI run on steroids, I'll not be hesitant to buy one when I need second TiVo. I don't care about eye candy, but rather speed and utility -- that's why I run all my Windows machines in classic interface mode with all the whizzies disabled.

Will the HD-UI put more useful information on the screen? Will it display more rows and longer titles in my NPL and ToDo lists? Will it show me a greater time span and more rows of the on-screen guide? That is what I would find useful, not the same information of the classic interface, squished down to smaller size so my screen can be polluted with little preview boxes and widgets. I realize some people love that stuff, but for other people like me it detracts from the user experience. If that is what the HD-UI is all about then I just hope that once they get it ironed out, they still include the fast classic interface and give people a choice.

BTW, anyone know if they have fixed the NetFlix crash problems with the Premier?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #371 of 3362 Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There seems to be some confusion about the use of the cores in the TP. Your review states (stated) that the HDUI was using both cores, while Nilay of Engadget said in his review that his understanding was that even the HDUI was only using one of the two cores.

Regarding the HD UI, my original review stated "work is now being done to improve performance through better utilization of the second core on the TiVo's Broadcom chip."

At the time, TiVo told me that the Flash platform and HDUI could take advantage of both cores, but that capability was not ready at release. They told me they planned to enable the second core in the HDUI with a software update. They said the underlying Linux software could use both cores, but the classic software was only using one core.

I assumed the second core was enabled and used by the OS and system-level operations. The improved network throughput seemed to support that. That was also consistent with statements from TiVo marketing which touted the second processor core. Looking back, I don't think the marketing folks really understood what was going on, or they were trying to "dumb down" the issue to make it easier for the press to understand.

I learned later that my assumption was incorrect. The second core is not used at all in the current software. It is disabled in Linux. Linux boots up with one core, not two, because [some part of] the DVR software is not yet stable with it enabled. Others have confirmed this through a review of the Linux boot log. I am told this is a software/OS setting, so the second core can be enabled with a software update. I updated my review to reflect that.
post #372 of 3362 Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am told this is a software/OS setting, so the second core can be enabled with a software update.

That is good news. Thanks for the clarification.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #373 of 3362 Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I don't care about eye candy, but rather speed and utility -- that's why I run all my Windows machines in classic interface mode with all the whizzies disabled.

While you don't care about eye candy, you are not the norm -- I assume your car runs like a clock, but is covered in bondo?

But regardless we agree that the overall experience is what matters and TiVo was supposed to bring us to a new world where it didn't matter where our media came from, it would be easy to find and enjoy. That promise is not fulfilled. I haven't read one person who said that finding and enjoying digital content is any more enjoyable on the TP. The search is unified and that is about it -- it takes more than shortcuts to Amazon and Netflix in the now playing list to integrate the two worlds. If you want to see someone who actually does this better check out Sezmi's UI (although they have all kinds of other problems, they get this one thing right).
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/s...-have-a-video/

No, the only thing TiVo accomplished with the TP (in regards to the UI) is with the Discovery Bar. I have to say it is a good start, but not complete. Besides the fact that it is to slow to be useful, it recommends every movie because "it is an up and coming movie" even if the movie is 10 years old. It does do a nice job of showing other relavent content when viewing show info and searches.

So what you call speed and utility, I call overall experience and no the TP doesn't really offer much of an improvement over the TiVo HD. Now if you didn't have a TiVo and you were trying to decide which to get, yeah get the TP, it has much faster transfer speeds and lots of potential. But if you already have a TiVo HD, I'd hold on to it for now.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #374 of 3362 Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

-- I assume your car runs like a clock, but is covered in bondo?

Now if you didn't have a TiVo and you were trying to decide which to get, yeah get the TP, it has much faster transfer speeds and lots of potential. But if you already have a TiVo HD, I'd hold on to it for now.

My car does run like a clock, but it's non covered in bondo, rather a late model Scion I bought new. Why pay for the Toyota name when the Scion has many of the same parts for $1000s less
But I basically agree with the rest of your post, Tivo shouldn't have introduced a new product that was half baked, if their product is sold as having a HD interface it SHOULD work, regardless of whether I'd use it or not.
I'm sure someone at Tivo said this product wasn't ready to be released, sadly that person wasn't the one in charge of when it actually was
post #375 of 3362 Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
At first I was a little disappointed with my launch-day Premiere, but after the 14.1c update and using the thing for a month, I've grown to really like it. The remote is good, the DVR operation (pause, rewind, fast forward commercials, etc.) is excellent, finding and setting up shows is good. The HD-UI has sped up over the last couple weeks. And when we found a missing episode of Breaking Bad in Amazon PPV in HD so we could continue watching the rest of the Season Passs....that was awesome!

The Discovery Bar, like TiVo Suggestions, really shines after the user trains it with thumbs up and down for various shows and movies. I think the people that don't like these two features probably don't do the thumbs up/down thing, or may be mucking it up with too much like/ dislikes. I've found that a single thumb up or down for a liked show/movie is then best approach, and a very rare two-up for only the best favorites. I recommend never giving two down or three ups/downs to anything. But that's just what works for me...YMMV.

Bottom line... The more I use the TiVo Premiere, the better it gets and the more I like it.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #376 of 3362 Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

While you don't care about eye candy, you are not the norm --

As I said, speed and utility. If the eye-candy provides increased utility without hitting the speed then I'm all for it. Each person has their own criterion as to what increased utility is. There is no such thing as "the norm".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #377 of 3362 Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Remote on my new Tivo also controls my older D*HDTivo box (HR10-250). Is there a way to change it so it doesn't?

Also, on my HR10-250 remote there is a button that takes me straight to the list of programs I've recorded. Now it seems on the new Tivo I have to press Tivo button, go through the menus and get to the list of recorded programs. Isn't there a quicker way like on the HR10-250 remote?
post #378 of 3362 Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Remote on my new Tivo also controls my older D*HDTivo box (HR10-250). Is there a way to change it so it doesn't?

You need to assign remote addresses on the DVRs:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/284
post #379 of 3362 Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Also, on my HR10-250 remote there is a button that takes me straight to the list of programs I've recorded. Now it seems on the new Tivo I have to press Tivo button, go through the menus and get to the list of recorded programs. Isn't there a quicker way like on the HR10-250 remote?

You could use the same remote with the Premiere, but when you hit the list button it will take you to the SD list menu. I don't think they have a shortcut yet for the HD menu of the recorded programs.

I just hit the TiVo button twice to go to the "My shows" list.

LED DLP

post #380 of 3362 Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is the reason I sold my Glow remote that came with my series 3. I hate loosing the "now playing list" shortcut. I'm still using my HR10-250 remote.
post #381 of 3362 Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Also, perhaps I'm missing something obvious but how do I get this thing to scan for channels above 99 which is where Comcast has put some of the clear HD locals? Fwiw, I don't have a cable card.
post #382 of 3362 Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. Also, perhaps I'm missing something obvious but how do I get this thing to scan for channels above 99 which is where Comcast has put some of the clear HD locals? Fwiw, I don't have a cable card.

Re-run guided setup and select digital cable with the option to install CableCards later. Then re-run the scan.
post #383 of 3362 Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Re-run guided setup and select digital cable with the option to install CableCards later. Then re-run the scan.

I thought thats what I did. I don't recall there being a specific option for "digital cable". IIRC, there was an option for cable, antenna or both. Plus, an option to choose cable card now, cable card later or no cable card. I'm sure I chose the cable card later option but I seem to recall it said something ablut not being able to get digital channels. I'll try it again.

P.S. I only have basic cable (Comcast) at the moment but my TV (Sony A2020 SXRD) and DVD Recorder (Panasonic EZ-28) get the clear-QAM HD local channels OK, including above 99.
post #384 of 3362 Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought thats what I did. I don't recall there being a specific option for "digital cable". IIRC, there was an option for cable, antenna or both. Plus, an option to choose cable card now, cable card later or no cable card. I'm sure I chose the cable card later option but I seem to recall it said something ablut not being able to get digital channels. I'll try it again.

In many areas, there are separate "basic cable" and "digital cable" lineups; that could make a difference (I'm not certain). Choose the latter with the option to install a CableCard later. Then run Settings -> Channels -> Channel Scan.
post #385 of 3362 Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Is there any compatibility or performance advantage to using the Tivo wireless N adapter? Can one use a wireless N adapter that plugs into one of the USB ports? What network adapters and wireless routers are Premiere users having good experiences with?
post #386 of 3362 Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by okc329 View Post

Is there any compatibility or performance advantage to using the Tivo wireless N adapter? Can one use a wireless N adapter that plugs into one of the USB ports? What network adapters and wireless routers are Premiere users having good experiences with?

You can't use an USB adapter since the tivo won't have drivers for it. You can use any wireless bridge which provides the ethernet port so you can conncect the tivo to its ethernet port.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #387 of 3362 Old 05-13-2010, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Dlink DAP1522 AP/Wireless Bridge works great with the Premiere. I have no issue getting 90mbs transfer rates through the wireless bridge, the same as when using a wired connection.

The Premiere is so much faster when transferring programs between Premieres than the other TiVos were.

LED DLP

post #388 of 3362 Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The Dlink DAP1522 AP/Wireless Bridge works great with the Premiere. I have no issue getting 90mbs transfer rates through the wireless bridge, the same as when using a wired connection.

The Premiere is so much faster when transferring programs between Premieres than the other TiVos were.

keep in mind the distance between your router and the Tivo. I had little to no signal running about 80 feet down the hall to my HD.
post #389 of 3362 Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

keep in mind the distance between your router and the Tivo. I had little to no signal running about 80 feet down the hall to my HD.

I have several DAP 1522 units in my condo setup as APs so I can always get 100mbs+ speeds from the wireless bridges.

Although in my tests at my girlfriedns house I had no issue getting a connection from a couple of houses away, although it was very slow at that distance, and the AP was located on her top floor.

LED DLP

post #390 of 3362 Old 05-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:

About two years ago, Motorola and Scientific Atlanta (now Cisco) halted production of the older cards and began manufacturing multi-stream cards exclusively. These M-CARDs -- pictured here-- are now widely available from cable companies.

Has anyone pointed out that the FAQ is linking to a photo of an S-CARD not an M-CARD?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page