Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #391 of 3362 Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Suppose I decide to upgrade my Tivo HD to a Premiere (they would both be lifetime subscriptions). I wouldn't be keeping the HD. If I only have one cable card, would I be able to copy all the Now Playing programs to the Premiere easily? Should I move the CC to the Premiere and then transfer all the programs from the HD or should I leave the CC in the HD and transfer all the programs first to the Premiere and then move the CC? Or does it matter?

I also have an HD XL and found that when I copied some old tv series to the XL, that it did not group them because it could no longer find any data on them (the program was no longer broadcast even in reruns) and it needs to see guide data in order to put programs in the same group. So I'm thinking I need the CC on the XL first so that when I transfer programs to it, it will find guide data in order to group them... If remove the CC from the HD, can I still access what's been recorded?

Also I've heard that people have had problems moving the CC from a unit to a new Premiere without involving Comcast. Has anyone been able to move the CC by themselves or does it need to be reconfigured (or something) by the cable company?

Phil Tomaskovic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3362 Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
you should have no issues, the cable card has nothing to do with the recording. It just tells your machine that you receive a channel while it's actually recording. Transfers should work fine.
post #393 of 3362 Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Once the program is on the box, and as long as it's not restricted from being transferred, you can transfer to one of your tiVos on your account(s3 and S4, not sure how it works with S2 models)
I have several Premieres on FiOS with cable cards and I have no issue transferrring any of that content to my two Premieres that are OTA only.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #394 of 3362 Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Once the program is on the box, and as long as it's not restricted from being transferred, you can transfer to one of your tiVos on your account(s3 and S4, not sure how it works with S2 models)
I have several Premieres on FiOS with cable cards and I have no issue transferrring any of that content to my two Premieres that are OTA only.

Have you transfered a program that is not shown on an OTA channel to the OTA only tivo? I was thinking it may not be able to group those shows since the show is not in the OTA guide info. (just like what happened when I transfered shows to another tivo after the shows were no longer broadcast anywhere), See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18526105

Phil Tomaskovic
post #395 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Has anyone had much experience with external drives and the Premier? I know that it says that the WD DVR Expander is to be used, but it would seem that others should work. I'm considering a purchase, but I'd prefer to use my existing external rather than buying a new one.
post #396 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

but it would seem that others should work.

They don't. The WD expander is a specially formatted ESATA drive -- specially formatted for the TiVo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #397 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Have you transfered a program that is not shown on an OTA channel to the OTA only tivo? I was thinking it may not be able to group those shows since the show is not in the OTA guide info. (just like what happened when I transfered shows to another tivo after the shows were no longer broadcast anywhere), See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18526105

I'm not sure about grouping, I do know there was no issue with transferring them.

LED DLP

post #398 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

They don't. The WD expander is a specially formatted ESATA drive -- specially formatted for the TiVo.

Thanks, but that sucks.
post #399 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I get two Tivo Premier's but only buy a subscription for one of them, can I transfer recordings from the one with subscription to the other that does not?

Also, is there any way to schedule/automate transfers, e.g. w/ Tivo Desktop Plus?

Be here now.
post #400 of 3362 Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwdad View Post

If I get two Tivo Premier's but only buy a subscription for one of them, can I transfer recordings from the one with subscription to the other that does not?

No, you need a subscription on each box.
Quote:

Also, is there any way to schedule/automate transfers, e.g. w/ Tivo Desktop Plus?

You can set up automatic transfers from the Tivo to PC for a series. I don't know about between two Tivo's though. Plus, if you are only interested in transfering between Tivos, you don't need Tivo Desktop. Tivo Desktop is only for file transfers between a PC and the Tivo. From whats been said here, the transfer rates are faster and they had been fast enough on the S3's and HD's that you can begin watching right away.

Check the 2nd post(FAQ) of the Tivo HD thread. The multi room viewing should have the same feature but be faster.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post11126048
post #401 of 3362 Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My Tivo HD was purchased with a one year subscription on July 2009 and am debating an upgrade to the Premiere with a new one year subscription, letting the HD subscription expire.

But, on logging in to my Tivo account for the upgrade discount I always get this message:
Quote:

We're sorry, you are not currently eligible for the TiVo Premiere Upgrade Program

Could the fact that the HD was purchased from Amazon be the reason ? Any thoughts on this ?
I did send a submission on this message to Tivo via the "What do you thing of the upgrade program" button and will have to see if there is a reply.

Update:
Called Tivo and found a helpful SA.

Quote:

Upgrade to Premiere is only available when current subscription ends.
Either extend subscription or default to month to month. In either case transfer subscription to the Premiere.

Lets hope the upgrade offer is still in effect when my subscription lapses on 7/10/2010.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #402 of 3362 Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello. Could someone please answer my question or direct me to the correct TiVo thread.

I will be soon purchasing the TiVo Premiere XL for OTA HD channels. Do I have to purchase an accessory to get it to function properly such as the TiVo® - Wireless-N Network Adapter or some other adapter. I'm knew with TiVo so I'm trying to understand why can't I just get the TiVo box and hook it up to my laptap which has a built in wireless reception ability to my 2wire router. Of course I want to download the latest guides etc, however, why do need another TiVo item for additional functionality? Can I do without it?

Please help me understand the TiVo adapter concept.

Mods: please redirect me if this post is out of place.

Thanks
post #403 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Do I have to purchase an accessory to get it to function properly such as the TiVo® - Wireless-N Network Adapter or some other adapter.

No. You can hard wire your TiVo directly to your router.

Quote:

why do need another TiVo item for additional functionality?

The wireless adapter is only needed if you aren't going to hard wire the DVR, like I have.

Quote:

Can I do without it?

If you're not going to hard wire the TiVo to the router, then clearly there must be some way it can communicate with the router. Your laptop (apparently) has a wireless adapter built-in, and therefore included in the price of the laptop when you bought it. Since the TiVo works fine (really, I find, better) simply hard wired to the router, no wireless capability is necessary, so no wireless adapter was built-in, nor the cost of wireless included in its price. Instead, those folks who choose to go wireless instead of sticking with a hard wired connection can purchase the adapter and get that added convenience they're seeking.
post #404 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

I'm knew with TiVo so I'm trying to understand why can't I just get the TiVo box and hook it up to my laptap which has a built in wireless reception ability to my 2wire router. Of course I want to download the latest guides etc, however, why do need another TiVo item for additional functionality? Can I do without it?

Understand that TiVo is an always-on, often-connected device.

On the main menu, there's a Discovery Bar that checks what you like and downloads and displays images for possible other things you might want to record. If there's no internet connection, you'll get a big error message across the top saying there's no connection. As you look-up movies and shows, it displays cast members with pictures that it downloads.

Even if you aren't watching it, TiVos makes a daily call at different times to download the latest guide data and check for software updates. Also, you can use your computer to set up a recording away from the TiVo via the Tivo website, and the internet connection will push the request to your box. Lastly, if you have Netflix or want to do Amazon or Blockbuster pay movies/shows, you will need the internet connection.

Keep in mind this is a subscription service, alternately you can pay a one-time, life-of-the-box fee.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #405 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Keep in mind this is a subscription service, alternately you can pay a one-time, life-of-the-box fee.

Just to avoid any confusion, this statement above is more or less unrelated to everything else Daver said.

If you get a lifetime subscription it won't magically make it able to connect to your wireless network without an adapter or some sort. (It will save you money over the course of several years though!)

As to your original question, if you know how to set up your laptop to share it's internet connection to the wireless network with things connected through the Ethernet port, you can do what you're talking about. But it will mean whenever you're watching the TiVo you'll probably want to have your laptop on and connected to the Tivo. And you'll lose some functionality of the Tivo (ie remote scheduling via the Tivo website etc.) whenever your laptop isn't connected to the Tivo.

A better solution would probably be to connect the Tivo directly to the router via Ethernet (I understand depending your the placement of your router and/or the Tivo, this might not be a practical solution), get the wireless adapter, or get a bridge or wireless router that can be set up in bridge mode to sit near the Tivo and connect to it via Ethernet and keep it connected at all times.
post #406 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

I will be soon purchasing the TiVo Premiere XL for OTA HD channels. Do I have to purchase an accessory to get it to function properly such as the TiVo® - Wireless-N Network Adapter or some other adapter.

You have had 3 posts following yours that basically tell you your TiVo needs to be connected to the Internet 24x7. So do yourself a favor and do a little advance planning. If you have a way to lead a hard-wire connection to your entertainment center from your router that is the preferred route to connect your TiVo. As the number of Internet-ready components in your rack grows you can simply add a switch onto the end of that hard-line for expansion to the new components. If, on the other hand, you have to depend on a wireless connection from your router to your entertainment center (like me), then every Internet-ready component you add in the future will have to have it's own wireless adapter -- usually proprietary and expensive. In that case I recommend you do not buy the TiVo wireless adapter, but rather a wireless bridge router. A wireless-n model like the D-Link DAP-1522 cost only a few dollars more than the TiVo wireless adapter and has a built-in 4-port switch so you can accommodate 4 devices without having to add a switch (although a switch can be added in the future for >4 devices). It pays for itself upon adding your second Internet-ready component. You'll never have to spend the extra money for a future device with built-in wireless networking, like a BD-player.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #407 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

I use several DAP1522 units. I get identical transfer rates between Premieres as when the Premieres are on my wired network. I get 90mbs transfer rates whether over wireless N(2.4Gh and 5Ghz) or wired.

LED DLP

post #408 of 3362 Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^^^ Thank you biker1, DaverJ, DrOct, Kelson and aaronwt for explaining the Tivo internet connection and how it all works. It makes more sense to me now and I think I should be okay when I get my TiVo box.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain this to a TiVo newbie. I appreciate it.
post #409 of 3362 Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're using either SD menus or HD menus, is it possible to make sure that no VOD offerings are included in any search results? Maybe the only way is to (momentarily) have no broadband Internet connection (if that would even work)?

And please confirm that it's still possible to exclude PPV from all search results using Channels You Receive.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #410 of 3362 Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post

If you're using either SD menus or HD menus, is it possible to make sure that no VOD offerings are included in any search results? Maybe the only way is to (momentarily) have no broadband Internet connection (if that would even work)?

And please confirm that it's still possible to exclude PPV from all search results using Channels You Receive.

Yes, you can select what you want to show on the banner on top. I've reduced the number of ppv shows and tivo recommendations.

To your second point, you can uncheck whatever channel you like from the chanel line-up.
post #411 of 3362 Old 05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're using either SD menus or HD menus, is it possible to make sure that no VOD offerings are included in any search results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by index View Post

Yes, you can select what you want to show on the banner on top. I've reduced the number of ppv shows and tivo recommendations.

You've "reduced the number of ppv shows?" Did you mean "VOD shows?" ('Cuz PPV shows are completely eliminated simply by removing PPV channels from Channels You Receive — right?)

So, again, what about completely eliminating VOD offerings (and TiVo recommendations?) from searches?

I'd like a second opinion, please.

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #412 of 3362 Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, again, what about completely eliminating VOD offerings (and TiVo recommendations?) from searches?

I'd like a second opinion, please.

Search lists results for TV programs, plus any VOD providers enabled in the Video Provider List. If you uncheck all video providers, then you only see TV results.
post #413 of 3362 Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Search lists results for TV programs, plus any VOD providers enabled in the Video Provider List. If you uncheck all video providers, then you only see TV results.

What if a cable provider like Comcast (the one in my neighborhood) wants to sell VOD to the viewer, the way DirecTV does (ubiquitously and obnoxiously)? Would Comcast show up on the list of providers that can be enabled or disabled?

post #414 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

What if a cable provider like Comcast (the one in my neighborhood) wants to sell VOD to the viewer, the way DirecTV does (ubiquitously and obnoxiously)? Would Comcast show up on the list of providers that can be enabled or disabled?

No...you can't get VOD Comcast titles on a TiVo. That requires two-way communication and the CableCARDs are only one way. (As stated below...the TiVo is only one way)

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #415 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Actually, CableCARDs do support (or really have nothing to do with) two-way communications.

It is the TiVo's that do not support two-way communications.
post #416 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Any idea how Tivo handles that with the RCN Tivo Premieres that are out now? I thought that RCN also offered its version of OnDemand through the Premiere.
post #417 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Actually, CableCARDs do support (or really have nothing to do with) two-way communications.

ture2way Cards are multidirectional (from my understanding), but aren't available yet. Even when they are, you are correct in that TiVo won't support them.

Here's an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #418 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

And every other cable card device not rented by the cable companies, like TVs and Moxi products too. And the same will apply to teh Ceton 4 tuner products coming out.

For VOD to work it has tro be specifically supported by the cable provider, and typically the only way that will occur is if it is a box rented from the cable provider, like RCN is doing.

LED DLP

post #419 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post

Any idea how Tivo handles that with the RCN Tivo Premieres that are out now? I thought that RCN also offered its version of OnDemand through the Premiere.

I don't know but I assume that it is pretty much the same way that Netflix offers On Demand programming through the TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

ture2way Cards are multidirectional (from my understanding), but aren't available yet.

There is no such thing as tru2way cards. tru2way, as it is currently implemented, uses CableCARD. Again, CableCARD has always been bi-directional. It was the TiVo's own limitation in that regard that kept them from being more connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Even when they are, you are correct in that TiVo won't support them.

I sure would like to know to what you're referring. I keep a very close eye on this industry, and can't figure out what it may be you're thinking of.
post #420 of 3362 Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Right now I'm using a DirecTiVo (HR10-250) in addition to an HR21; toggling CC on & off is labor-intensive, and the many keypresses required don't fit into a macro.

Toggling CC might be a little easier on the HD and the Premiere, but I can't tell from reading the manuals, because it's not documented whether pressing Up will highlight the bottom-most icon in the channel banner (which looks to be the CC icon on both TiVo models).

If you have to press Down repeatedly to get to the bottom-most (CC) icon in the channel banner, that would still be nearly as labor-intensive as on the HR10-250, and the keypresses still might not fit into a macro on some universal remotes (like my Harmony One).

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page