Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #541 of 3371 Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
That's why they make caller ID phones, dude. And expandable cordless phone systems are cheap so you can put one wherever you sit. I don't get caller ID on the TV either, it's just not that big a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3371 Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

That's why they make caller ID phones, dude. And expandable cordless phone systems are cheap so you can put one wherever you sit. I don't get caller ID on the TV either, it's just not that big a deal.

And for the very lazy amongst us it's also why they make talking caller ID phones with assignable ring tones.

post #543 of 3371 Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Personally, one of the most annoying things I've seen from an STB is calleriD. My DirecTV HD STB in 2001 had it, and it only took a few times of it poping up in the middle of watching a program before I turned it off. I hated it.

A compelling reason to include the option. Those who want it can turn it on, those who don't want it can turn it off. There are no down-sides to having the option.

- Darell
post #544 of 3371 Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darelldd View Post

A compelling reason to include the option. Those who want it can turn it on, those who don't want it can turn it off. There are no down-sides to having the option.

I agree it'd be nice to have. We'd use it. Some years ago a hobbyiest/friend had a 3" high x 30" long multi-color LED display box that he'd built a CID reader & display driver for. It ran off of an old Pentium-100. I'd love to have something like that, that could be easily seen from across the room. Alas, I digress.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #545 of 3371 Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Is it still not possible to upgrade the internal drive in the Premiere? The current deal they have going is tempting, but I'm wondering about increasing the storage capacity.
post #546 of 3371 Old 08-07-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Is it still not possible to upgrade the internal drive in the Premiere? The current deal they have going is tempting, but I'm wondering about increasing the storage capacity.

As it stands now, the way to upgrade internally to 2TB is through dvr_dude on eBay. People on the TiVo Community board have used his drives with successful results.
post #547 of 3371 Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can you use the TiVo Premiere in a manual mode (timed recordings) without a subscription. I just want to replace a VCR with the TiVo Premiere and I do not need their program guide.
post #548 of 3371 Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

As it stands now, the way to upgrade internally to 2TB is through dvr_dude on eBay. People on the TiVo Community board have used his drives with successful results.

Which costs over $200 when you can buy a 2TB drive for less than $100 now. No thanks.

This is the main thing holding me back from upgrading my HDs to Premieres, but I'm sure a hack will be released to allow you to do it yourself eventually.
post #549 of 3371 Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Which costs over $200 when you can buy a 2TB drive for less than $100 now. No thanks.

This is the main thing holding me back from upgrading my HDs to Premieres, but I'm sure a hack will be released to allow you to do it yourself eventually.

While still expensive, the 1TB drive price is not too bad. I don't need 2TB myself. Obviously it would be nice to be able to do it yourself as 1TB drives have become very inexpensive of late.

The PLS deal of $199 with this August offer is very tempting as my S3 is due for renewal in Sept and I've failed to be able to get TiVo to give me the $99 PLS deal they've been giving to select subscribers. That's what I get for purchasing the unit when it first came out in Sept '06.
post #550 of 3371 Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the other drawback of not being able to DIY is that you'd lose all your recordings and SPs unless you transfer the recordings off to a PC (or watch them all). Might get the SPs back from Tivo's servers if you have a Guru Guide or Kid Zone enabled, though.

I agree that current upgrade pricing is very tempting, though, since I could pay $470 each for a couple of Premieres and sell my lifetime HDs on ebay for around $400 each. I'd probably be out of pocket around $100 or so for each of them.
post #551 of 3371 Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 AM

I just got my Tivo Premiere XL and am awaiting the cable company to come and install my Cablecard (they have to do it because it is technical according to their service).

On my SA 8300HD box which I will be glad to be rid of, I take a secondary output to a RF box that I use to send a signal to a TV that is in front of my treadmill so my wife and I can watch the same show while I run. I noticed that the Tivo does not have multiple outputs. I am going to hook it up with an HDMI to my Receiver. If I hook RCA cables up to the RCA outputs will I get any signal through them or will the HDMI output cancel the RCA outputs?

Thanks.
post #552 of 3371 Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexhokie View Post

I just got my Tivo Premiere XL and am awaiting the cable company to come and install my Cablecard (they have to do it because it is technical according to their service).

On my SA 8300HD box which I will be glad to be rid of, I take a secondary output to a RF box that I use to send a signal to a TV that is in front of my treadmill so my wife and I can watch the same show while I run. I noticed that the Tivo does not have multiple outputs. I am going to hook it up with an HDMI to my Receiver. If I hook RCA cables up to the RCA outputs will I get any signal through them or will the HDMI output cancel the RCA outputs?

Thanks.

All output ports on your TIVO are active simultaneously.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #553 of 3371 Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you need RF then a $20 RF modulator would work. They are available at places like W/M, Target or many other places.
post #554 of 3371 Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

All output ports on your TIVO are active simultaneously.

Thanks. I hooked it up and it works.
post #555 of 3371 Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cox to offer retail TiVo Premiere DVRs next year, first with cable VOD & Amazon, Netflix access

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/c...irst-with-cab/

COX COMMUNICATIONS TO PROMOTE TIVO PREMIERE WITH COX VOD SERVICE TO ITS SUBSCRIBERS

Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation

First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content

ALVISO, CA and ATLANTA, GA – August 12, 2010 - TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a leader in advanced television services including digital video recorders (DVRs) for consumers, content distributors and consumer electronics manufacturers and Cox Communications, the third-largest U.S. cable television company, today announced that they have entered into an agreement whereby the two companies will offer TiVo Premiere with integrated Cox On DEMAND service to Cox subscribers. This represents the first time that a cable operator will make its entire video on demand (VOD) library available via a retail DVR and TiVo Premiere will become the first retail product to fully integrate a cable VOD service, along with linear television and broadband content accessible through TiVo's user interface and intuitive search capabilities.

As part of the agreement, Cox will promote TiVo Premiere to its subscribers, support TiVo Premiere as an optional set-top, and provide free installation for TiVo Premiere boxes purchased by subscribers at Best Buy and other retail and online outlets including TiVo's own website. Customers will need a CableCARD for access to Cox services. Cox will promote TiVo Premiere via its website, cross-channel advertising, and via direct marketing to its video and high-speed internet subscribers.

"We recognize that consumers are attracted to a growing range of devices that enable them to access broadband content and interactive capabilities," said Pat Esser, President of Cox Communications. "With TiVo Premiere, Cox is providing consumers even more choice. Our subscribers will not only have access to TiVo's user experience but Cox's robust Advanced TV offering including On DEMAND service."

post #556 of 3371 Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

So the next question is, how is the TiVo box going to access the VOD, not even a hint of it in the article. If I'm not mistaken, the RCN boxes are specially equipped, this article talks about off the shelf TiVos.
post #557 of 3371 Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Slightly more info:
Quote:

Cox did consider offering customers a lease option for the TiVo Premiere hardware, according to Necessary. RCN currently does that in all its markets and Suddenlink Communications plans to do the same starting later this year.

However, Cox didn't want to introduce set-tops that had inconsistent capabilities, Necessary said. For example, TiVos provide access to broadband-delivered content while Cox's currently do not.

"At the end of the day we felt the best option and alternative was simply to support the retail product as is," he said.

Cox does have an incentive to encourage more customers buy their own set-tops, as that reduces capital spending. The TiVo Premiere DVR with 320 Gigabytes of storage is $300, while the 1-Terabyte "XL" version runs $500.

The companies would not disclose whether Cox would receive a cut of the monthly TiVo subscription fee of $12.95. The MSO charges customers $2 per month for each CableCard they want to use.

This month Cox will begin the integration and testing work needed to make its VOD infrastructure based on SeaChange International software work with the Premiere DVRs. As in RCN's setup, the TiVo boxes will communicate with the Cox VOD servers using an IP signaling backchannel.

"It's largely leveraging the work we have done already with RCN," said Jeff Klugman, TiVo senior vice president and general manager of products and revenue.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...or_To_TiVo.php

post #558 of 3371 Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Further info:

Quote:

No tru2way
The Cox-TiVo relationship is bad news for tru2way.

TiVo's Premiere boxes don't use tru2way to enable interactive cable services such as VoD. Instead, TiVo uses an IP backchannel to set up the video sessions between the box and an MSO's on-demand platform and to supply metadata to the TiVo guide/search apps. TiVo has already completed that integration with SeaChange International Inc. (Nasdaq: SEAC)'s Axiom backoffice, though SeaChange itself has acknowledged that nothing prevents other VoD vendors from mimicking that work.

Similar to TiVo's deals with two other cable ops -- RCN Corp. (Nasdaq: RCNI) and Suddenlink Communications -- Cox will also stitch its VoD system to TiVo using the IP backchannel approach. Cox expects to be fully standardized on the SeaChange backoffice by the end of 2010. (See Cox VOD Effort Matches Vendor Rivals , TiVo: Cable Should Love It Some IP, and Suddenlink Boxes Up TiVo Deal .)

The big difference, Klugman says, is that Cox will be supporting and provisioning the Premiere boxes customers purchase at retail. In comparison, the RCN and Suddenlink agreements call for the operators to buy those boxes directly from TiVo while retaining the billing and subscription relationship with the subscriber.

Cox has also agreed to foot the bill on expenses tied to truckrolls and other installation requirements for TiVo Premiere boxes. That also extends to special tuning adapters that Premiere boxes will need in order to view channels Cox delivers using switched digital video (SDV). For now, that requirement is limited to Cox systems serving Northern Virginia, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and a few other markets. Cox customers still have to pay Cox $2 per month to lease the CableCARD required to authorize cable TV services. (See Everyone Hearts the Tuning Adapter! and Policy Watch: TiVo, Cable Trade SDV Barbs .)

"They [Cox] won't leave the person's home until the tuning adapter is working, the VoD is working, the linear TV is working, and the CableCARD is working," Klugman says. "That is all part of the full installation experience, funded by Cox."

Although TiVo's Premiere box doesn't use tru2way, Cox has already outfitted all of its headends for tru2way. It's using a tru2way-based guide and boxes from Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO) to back a premium video tier that includes a multi-room DVR. Cox currently has that service in front of "friendlies" in two undisclosed markets (one based on Cisco's digital cable platform, the other on Motorola's), but expects to have it rolled out "extensively" by the end of 2010, according to Necessary. (See Cox Guides Tru2way Forward.)

http://www.lightreading.com/document...site=lr_cable&

post #559 of 3371 Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Slightly more info:

"As in RCN's setup, the TiVo boxes will communicate with the Cox VOD servers using an IP signaling backchannel. "

That's what I figured, but I haven't read any reports of how well it works.
post #560 of 3371 Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
nevermind
post #561 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Does anyone know if the Premiere has upgraded the software yet in order to use both cores of the CPU?
post #562 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by niemie View Post

Does anyone know if the Premiere has upgraded the software yet in order to use both cores of the CPU?

It hasn't, but the latest software update (14.5) is running the HD-UI pretty smoothly for most people.
post #563 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by niemie View Post

no, but the new software is faster, and i hear the beta testing software is even better
post #564 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Using a Harmony ONE to control my Premier XL.

Often my button presses are not "heard" by the TiVo, and I have to press again. I've not had this problem before with other devices, and I'm guessing that it is a duration of signal issues? Anybody else experience it? Have a fix?

Thanks.

- Darell
post #565 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, interesting... I'm using a Harmony One to control my HR21, and my button presses are not always "heard" by the DirecTV box either. I blamed the HR21, but maybe it's the Harmony.

I've got no idea how to fix it, though.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #566 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

OK... time to actually go read the trouble shooting stuff. I do remember fixing this once before with another Harmony with other hardware. Just been too long to remember!

- Darell
post #567 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Try adjusting the number of times it sends a command, the delay, etc. I changed those things to the recommended settings for a TiVo and it's very fast now. Harmony remotes, by default, tend to be more careful with the signal. It's in the advanced settings for each device/activity I believe.
post #568 of 3371 Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I had a similar issue with my Harmony 880 remote, my TiVo HD and my Panasonic plasma. After playing with the remote settings and not getting any joy, i sent an EMAIL to Harmony support describing my problem, expressing my distress and asking for guidance. The next day I received an EMAIL from their tech support saying they took care of it for me; the remotes setting database is kept on their servers so they did the twiddling on their end. They told me to plug in my remote and update it. Problems solved, I have no idea what they did.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #569 of 3371 Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

no, but the new software is faster, and i hear the beta testing software is even better

IMO it's pretty sad that we're almost 6 months into the product release and they still don't have all the menus in HD nor do they have dual core enabled.

I'm starting to think that doing the UI in Flash was a bad idea for them.
post #570 of 3371 Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I'm starting to think that doing the UI in Flash was a bad idea for them.

I bet Steve Jobs doesn't own a Series 4 for this very reason

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page