AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I bet Steve Jobs doesn't own a Series 4 for this very reason

I'm not convinced that Jobs is even in the 21st century when it comes to video, some of the remarks he's made gave me the impression he is a bit behind the times, I'll bet he doesn't even watch much TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 3333 Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm not convinced that Jobs is even in the 21st century when it comes to video, some of the remarks he's made gave me the impression he is a bit behind the times, I'll bet he doesn't even watch much TV.

Agreed Jim, but as you know, he's not a fan of Flash.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #573 of 3333 Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Agreed Jim, but as you know, he's not a fan of Flash.

Yeah, I know, almost pathologically so.
post #574 of 3333 Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yep! BTW, TiVo sent me the new "slide" remote to test. It works pretty good, although my son calls it the "chubby" remote because of its weight and smaller size. When he's older we'll get one hell of a laugh from the nickname he gave the new remote

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #575 of 3333 Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Turned on the TV at 11 AM this morning and saw a Tivo ad for the Premiere. (Always watch Live TV from the TivoHD.)
Foolishly brought it up and it was an offer for a Premiere for $209 with free shipping, from Tivo.

While not intending to get the Premiere, this seemed like a deal so I ordered it (via the Tivo). A little nervous but it showed an encryption padlock on the screen so took a chance. Just now a Tivo email (4:05 PM) stating it had shipped via UPS. Should not take long to get to San Diego.

Now if TWC can be persuaded to let me transfer the m-stream CC to the premiere myself, avoiding a tech visit it will be a bargain.
The purchase includes a subscription transfer to the Premiere from the HD.

Anyone else seen this offer, expires Aug 31.

What to do with the HD, have no need for two.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #576 of 3333 Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Turned on the TV at 11 AM this morning and saw a Tivo ad for the Premiere. (Always watch Live TV from the TivoHD.)
Foolishly brought it up and it was an offer for a Premiere for $209 with free shipping, from Tivo.

While not intending to get the Premiere, this seemed like a deal so I ordered it (via the Tivo). A little nervous but it showed an encryption padlock on the screen so took a chance. Just now a Tivo email (4:05 PM) stating it had shipped via UPS. Should not take long to get to San Diego.

Now if TWC can be persuaded to let me transfer the m-stream CC to the premiere myself, avoiding a tech visit it will be a bargain.
The purchase includes a subscription transfer to the Premiere from the HD.

Anyone else seen this offer, expires Aug 31.

What to do with the HD, have no need for two.

Haven't seen that. Online tivo.com only offers 10%off + $199 for lifetime. No xfer of existing service. Even refurbs are $209.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #577 of 3333 Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Haven't seen that. Online tivo.com only offers 10%off + $199 for lifetime. No xfer of existing service. Even refurbs are $209.

OK, I just got off tivo sales chat. This guys offer is 30% off the premiere if they don't have a lifetime subscription.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #578 of 3333 Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
I just ordered an hd tivo xl premiere for only$217.00 ,just thought i;d let you know about this deal going on at electronic expo on amazons website,just click on see price in cart.and it goes from $ 499.00 to $217.and change and if i saw correctly the 45 hr. tivo premiere was something like $89.00!!!
post #579 of 3333 Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Try adjusting the number of times it sends a command, the delay, etc. I changed those things to the recommended settings for a TiVo and it's very fast now. Harmony remotes, by default, tend to be more careful with the signal. It's in the advanced settings for each device/activity I believe.

I found this section. By default it is set to three, and I changed to four. Seems to make no difference. I'll try five next. I'm curious where you found the "recommended settings for TiVo?" Would love to see that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I had a similar issue with my Harmony 880 remote, my TiVo HD and my Panasonic plasma. After playing with the remote settings and not getting any joy, i sent an EMAIL to Harmony support describing my problem, expressing my distress and asking for guidance. The next day I received an EMAIL from their tech support saying they took care of it for me; the remotes setting database is kept on their servers so they did the twiddling on their end. They told me to plug in my remote and update it. Problems solved, I have no idea what they did.

Wow. Interesting. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

- Darell
post #580 of 3333 Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

I just ordered an hd tivo xl premiere for only$217.00 ,just thought i;d let you know about this deal going on at electronic expo on amazons website,just click on see price in cart.and it goes from $ 499.00 to $217.and change and if i saw correctly the 45 hr. tivo premiere was something like $89.00!!!

back to $439,,,

Phil Tomaskovic
post #581 of 3333 Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM

I guess i got lucky to order 1 at the lower price! after I told my wife this morning i had ordered the tivo at that low priced she asked me why i didnt order 1 of the $89.00 ones for my sons room,but my son never watches tv except when watching a blu ray or playing video games. And besides i thought she would be mad at me for ordering the 2nd tivo for the bedroom because we hardly watch tv in there,but i probably will now that football season is here and the NBA starts up in october !!
post #582 of 3333 Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I just purchased a Tivo Premiere XL and have been searching through the manual trying to find out how I can select specific past recorded shows and delete them, or even possibly shorten segments. Like I can do both on my Panny DMR-E80H DVD recorder with an 80G hard drive. I just assumed this basic capability would be available. But the only words on deleting past recorded programs seems to be it happens only automatically to unprotected programs when more space becomes needed.

Is that true?? There's no way to go back and delete old recordings manually that you no longer want? Or even a sporting event where your favorite team just got hammered and you now don't want to keep any part of the recording?

Did I miss something? I would be very unhappy if basic editing (deleting a whole recording at least) cannot be done with the Premiere to clean up past clutter, especially shows recorded just for time shift viewing purposes. I will only be recording HD and using most recording space.

edit...This is my very first HD DVR or any kind of DVR related to TV programming.
post #583 of 3333 Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

There's no way to go back and delete old recordings manually that you no longer want?

Highlight the item in the "My Shows" menu and hit the clear button on the remote.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #584 of 3333 Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Highlight the item in the "My Shows" menu and hit the clear button on the remote.

Thanks DaverJ. Guess I stopped reading after the Index & 2 following blank pages and missed the last 2 pages about the remote & the back cover page. Duh! It was late.

Just the whole program for delete though, correct? No deleting inside a program from like a "start" point to "end" point?
post #585 of 3333 Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Thanks DaverJ. Guess I stopped reading after the Index & 2 following blank pages and missed the last 2 pages about the remote & the back cover page. Duh! It was late.

Just the whole program for delete though, correct? No deleting inside a program from like a "start" point to "end" point?

Correct, you can't edit a program to trim commercials or similar operations. Also you can't delete whole folders, just one show at a time.

Note, you can download Tivo desktop to your pc to transfer files to your pc and then edit them. (you will need some other programs to convert the .tivo to a mpeg file but they are also freeware)

Phil Tomaskovic
post #586 of 3333 Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct, you can't edit a program to trim commercials or similar operations. Also you can't delete whole folders, just one show at a time.

Note, you can download Tivo desktop to your pc to transfer files to your pc and then edit them. (you will need some other programs to convert the .tivo to a mpeg file but they are also freeware)

Are you sure, on my Tivo clear does delete entire folders with a warning to that effect.

KMttg (freeware) will transfer a Tivo recording and optionally decrypt the Tivo recording and delete the .tivo file after decrypt.

Unfortunately KMttg will not transfer CP cable programs and neither will Tivo desktop. You would have to use a Hauppauge HD DVR of HDFury for that.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #587 of 3333 Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Are you sure, on my Tivo clear does delete entire folders with a warning to that effect.

KMttg (freeware) will transfer a Tivo recording and optionally decrypt the Tivo recording and delete the .tivo file after decrypt.

Unfortunately KMttg will not transfer CP cable programs and neither will Tivo desktop. You would have to use a Hauppauge HD DVR of HDFury for that.

OK, deleting groups works for me too... didn't think you could before? Right about copy protected programs, I can't transfer a video from amazon but pretty much anything I record from cable is ok (I don't have any premier channels like hbo though...)

Phil Tomaskovic
post #588 of 3333 Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, deleting groups works for me too... didn't think you could before? Right about copy protected programs, I can't transfer a video from amazon but pretty much anything I record from cable is ok (I don't have any premier channels like hbo though...)

You are fortunate. TWC San Diego sets the CP flag for every channel (not just the premium stuff) except those mandated to be in the clear by the FCC; i.e. local broadcast feeds.
Very annoying.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #589 of 3333 Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
I sub to a basic cable package 45 channels without a cable box
Can this unit handle the QAM clear channels without the need of a cable card..
The channels are already unscrambled...
post #590 of 3333 Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

I sub to a basic cable package 45 channels without a cable box
Can this unit handle the QAM clear channels without the need of a cable card..
The channels are already unscrambled...

Yes, but without a cable card you have no guide data. So first you have to find them and then record like a VCR by setting channel, day, time, and duration.
post #591 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Tivo works very poorly with clear QAM channels. All you can do is set manual recordings for given time blocks because there is no guide data. Ugh.
post #592 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 AM

That's so strange. Why would it not be able to schedule Clear QAM channels just like it does analog channels which don't even have the possibility of guide data?

I mean Tivo downloads program schedules from Tivo for analog channels, why on earth couldn't it do that for clear QAM channels? I thought that was the main thing you were paying for by paying the monthly fee, program schedules!
post #593 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tivo needs the cable cards in order to map the cable co channel number to the guides channel number. ie, Cablel co transmits NBC on ch 109, card info maps it ch 5.

People have been bitching about it since the Series 3 came out in 2006 so I doubt if they have any plans to let you map channels manually.
post #594 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM

It's just really really surprising! Do cable companies change the channels frequently? I mean would it really be that hard for someone to map the channels and then Tivo could just send that info out to the boxes? I don't actually have cable so it doesn't really mean all that much for my every day life, but that's just weird!
post #595 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Who knows how hard it would be, but they haven't done it and no indication that they will. They already have a solution with the cable card so why should they bother.
post #596 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Well it's clear they're not going to, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying I'm very surprised. It seems very "un-tivo" like.

As for "why bother" well, so customers who didn't want to pay for cable-cards and/or a digital cable package (quite a bit more expensive than analog in many places) can enjoy everything their cable company is offering at the highest quality available.

Again, there's no need for you to tell me that they aren't going to. I understand that. And I don't really even have a horse in this race as I don't have cable, I'm all OTA and internet with my TV watching (mostly through my Tivo HD). I'm just expressing my surprise.
post #597 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct View Post

Well it's clear they're not going to, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying I'm very surprised. It seems very "un-tivo" like.

As for "why bother" well, so customers who didn't want to pay for cable-cards and/or a digital cable package (quite a bit more expensive than analog in many places) can enjoy everything their cable company is offering at the highest quality available.

Again, there's no need for you to tell me that they aren't going to. I understand that. And I don't really even have a horse in this race as I don't have cable, I'm all OTA and internet with my TV watching (mostly through my Tivo HD). I'm just expressing my surprise.

I was only pointng out that the platform has been around for four years with no mapping of clear qam channels unless you have a cable card and since you were suprised I assumed that this is the first you heard of the issue so I tried to point out that Tivo isn't going to do anything about it. Like you, I am strictly OTA, Netflix, and Amazon VOD so no horse here either, but this particular horse has been beaten to death since late 2006.
post #598 of 3333 Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Well it IS the first I've heard of it, but I also don't expect that at this point they'll be changing it given that, as you say, they haven't so far.

It's still surprising that this wasn't done from the start, and wasn't ever addressed, but clearly they don't think it's important (and probably for most people it isn't).
post #599 of 3333 Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Liked: 16
I am really new to this. I currently have a Verizon Fios STB but not a DVR. Guess I haven't missed it but if you don't have it what is there to miss. I am getting a new tv and AMZ is offering the Tivo for about $100. Since I need something to access Netflix (the Sammy C550 does not have an internet connection) this may be the way to go. Does Verizon charge for the access card? Also does the Tivo do a better job as a STB vs the Verizon box in terms of processing signals?
post #600 of 3333 Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I am really new to this. I currently have a Verizon Fios STB but not a DVR. Guess I haven't missed it but if you don't have it what is there to miss. I am getting a new tv and AMZ is offering the Tivo for about $100. Since I need something to access Netflix (the Sammy C550 does not have an internet connection) this may be the way to go. Does Verizon charge for the access card? Also does the Tivo do a better job as a STB vs the Verizon box in terms of processing signals?

I would get the TiVo. Once you have a DVR you wonder how you ever lived without one. I rarely watch live TV. Even sporting events - I time delay them by 30-45 minutes. By the time I skip thru the commercials, I'm caught up and live to watch the end of the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'processing signals', but I can say that the FIOS DVR is horrible (IMO, of course). I HATE the guide and the remote. Of course you are already used to the Verizon guide so you may not like TiVo's.

Verizon charges $3.99 a month for the cable card (required).

I also watch Netflix (and Amazon) all the time. It is not the best interface I've seen, but it does the job.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page