post #901 of 3372 Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This has all the appearance of being the new way for them to try and market/sell TiVo going forward while increasing the overall cost and boosting their revenue. I've checked a number of Etailers and they all list it at $99 (and generally cite $200 "instant savings"). None of them reveal that you are on the hook for an additional $240 post-sale expense (the 1-yr compulsory $20/mo sub). I don't think this is just a holiday special and look for them to "extend" the new offer into the new year.

So it lowers the upfront cost but increases the back-end cost. Under this cost structure you can't buy a lifetime until after your first year subscription has ended. So you would end up eventually paying $740 for a TiVo with lifetime. That's assuming they continue to offer lifetime. Didn't they discontinue it at one time.
Wow, if they have to resort to this type of price structure to make money, they are in trouble. Who is going to pay the same monthly price for a TiVo that they would for CC DVR while knowing that if the CC DVR breaks they give you a new one; if the TiVo breaks you are on your own. And, not competitive with Moxi's 3-tuner DVR. I hope this is not a bad sign of things to come.

I can confirm that the policy has extended into this week at least. We have a Tivo box from 2001 with a lifetime service agreement. Looking into switching from DirecTV to FIOS with Tivo, the Tivo Multi-Service Discount Agreement online says this makes us eligible for a discount (from $19.95 or $12.95 down to $9.95 per month). On this basis, we ended up going with FIOS and purchased a Premiere and a Premiere XL from Amazon. We activated the boxes and then requested the Multi-Service discount. We were informed that any Tivo box not bought from Tivo was part of a promotional hardware/service bundle and thus required a $19.95/month rate and wasn't eligible for MSD. The Amazon site mentioned nothing like this at all, and the MSD actually doesn't mention this for people with lifetime service subscriptions either (it does mention promotional subscriptions for all other types). This pricing is buried deep in the payment plan document somewhere and it contradicts what is in the MSD. Of course, you know what Tivo goes with if their own documentation is contradictory...

So this will cost us another unplanned $240 per year and we are unhappy Tivo customers. They could have easily stated their policies in both places where people would read instead of just in one. But the general policy they emailed to us is: if you buy a Premiere or XL from a retailer, it's a bundle, and you won't get any MSDs or other promotions - you will pay the $19.95 per month per box. Hopefully they'll edit their MSD Agreement ASAP so other people don't fall into the same trap caused by their own poor documentation. And Amazon should publicize that they're selling a bundle, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3372 Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Apparently the only way to buy a TiVo with lifetime is direct from TiVo. They are the only ones selling the box for $300 which is what you need to pay in order to be able to buy it with lifetime at time of purchase.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #903 of 3372 Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
What about all the people who bought the Premieres for $99 at Woot a few weeks ago?
If one wants to add lifetime you better read all the fine print and even then purchase it at a place that will allow returns if things don't work out
Buyer beware.
post #904 of 3372 Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Apparently the only way to buy a TiVo with lifetime is direct from TiVo. They are the only ones selling the box for $300 which is what you need to pay in order to be able to buy it with lifetime at time of purchase.

Not so on three occasions. I have seen two purchased at Best Buy and one via Ebay all given Lifetime on single unit accounts.

My story... I decided to buy one for $99 until I read about the increased monthly fee. Once I saw the additional fees I changed my mind although I started looking at eBay and there were sealed units for $525 (or so) with Lifetime. I thought how can they sell them with Lifetime and I almost purchased one. However I also saw them going for $90 or so on eBay and of course with Lifetime they would be cheaper yet.

So I chatted with TiVo online and they stated if I purchased a unit from eBay I could purchase Lifetime and noted such and gave my the reference number. I called in to verify the information before I ordered the unit. A simple phone call when it arrived had me up and running.

Later on I needed to swap the unit and instead of going the eBay route again I returned the unit and purchased the replacement at Best Buy and had Lifetime swapped. Since that was so easy a few friends simply purchased theirs at Best Buy and received Lifetime as well.
post #905 of 3372 Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What about all the people who bought the Premieres for $99 at Woot a few weeks ago?
If one wants to add lifetime you better read all the fine print and even then purchase it at a place that will allow returns if things don't work out
Buyer beware.

The Woot boxes were $65 shipped and specifically eligible for lifetime or normal monthly prices. Also, you can buy refurb Premieres direct from tivo.com right now for $99 that are also eligible for normal prices - signup for monthly, wait for it to be processed, then switch to lifetime. Or just call Tivo and order the refurb with lifetime, I'd bet they'd give the MSD on it.
post #906 of 3372 Old 01-30-2011, 03:36 PM

I have a Series-4 to replace my Series-4 that was having the problem of not responding to the remote. Cable card and Cisco tuning adapter have been installed by Time Warner.

The tuning adapter keeps restarting itself and when it does, it stops recording. It does not record any other programs until I respond to the tuning adapter message on the screen. I tried changing the USB port on the TiVo - no effect. I'll call TW, but does anyone have any suggestions. They will probably blame the TiVo who will blame TW.

Thanks, cb
post #907 of 3372 Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Liked: 45
I'm so new to TiVo, this may sound like a stupid question, but I could definitely use an answer!

Is there a way to get from the "Tivo Central" screen back to the "Now Playing" without pressing zoom? It seems like a natural button to get back would be the TiVo button at the top of the remote, but that doesn't do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #908 of 3372 Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

... And Amazon should publicize that they're selling a bundle, of course.

Just thought I'd report back that both Amazon and Tivo have resolved my issue to my satisfaction. Amazon will take the box back as a return and Tivo will cancel that activation under their 30 Day Money Back guarantee. Then we will purchase direct from Tivo, getting the pricing plan that is right for us.
post #909 of 3372 Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Is there a way to get from the "Tivo Central" screen back to the "Now Playing" without pressing zoom? It seems like a natural button to get back would be the TiVo button at the top of the remote, but that doesn't do it.

Doesn't the TiVo button toggle between TiVo Central and Now Playing?
post #910 of 3372 Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM

I've been looking at Tivo instead of the HD DVR box from comcast. First I wanted a HD Dvr box that was capable of having online recordings scheduled. All of the service centers in a 30mil radius had none. I spent hours with them on the phone and finally they send me one from North Carolina (I'm in CT) and its a cisco rng 200. Its been two days and it still has the settop box is not authorized for use and I've called two times about this. I also see a lot of complaints with tivo as well so I'm really up in the air on what to do.
post #911 of 3372 Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Doesn't the TiVo button toggle between TiVo Central and Now Playing?

The TiVo button toggles between "Tivo Central" and "My Shows" for me...
post #912 of 3372 Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

The TiVo button toggles between "Tivo Central" and "My Shows" for me...

"My Shows" is the Premiere's new name for what used to be called "Now Playing". Scroll down a bit on this page.

If you are wanting to go to live TV, just hit the "Live TV" button in the upper right.
post #913 of 3372 Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Do I have to call Tivo to cancel a service, or can I do it through their website?

Djoel
post #914 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ya gotta call
post #915 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Liked: 11
I just got my Tivo Premiere yesterday and ran the guided setup without a hitch. This AM Comcast installed the cable card. I was able to set up recordings for tonight, but when I try to set up a recording for later in the week, I am told that the programs I'm trying to record are not scheduled. The guide will not go past 2:00 AM tomorrow morning, and I get a message that "Program info has run out. Connect to the Tivo Service." What do I do? Or do I just wait?

Alan
post #916 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post

i just got my tivo premiere yesterday and ran the guided setup without a hitch. This am comcast installed the cable card. I was able to set up recordings for tonight, but when i try to set up a recording for later in the week, i am told that the programs i'm trying to record are not scheduled. The guide will not go past 2:00 am tomorrow morning, and i get a message that "program info has run out. Connect to the tivo service." what do i do? Or do i just wait?

just wait
post #917 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

just wait

It's takes a day or so for all the indexing of programs to happen. You should be good to go by tomorrow.
post #918 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
you can also force a connection under network settings - do that 3-4 times and it should have at least a week.
post #919 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Liked: 13
Moved my TiVo from one outlet to another last night. Suddenly discovered I was getting some channels and not others.

Signal strength meter showed zero on the affected channels, not just a low number "in the red". Conditional Access diagnostic said Con:Yes, Network connectivity fine, card still paired fine, forced connection a couple times, restarted TiVO a couple times, but still couldn't get two or three non-basic HD channels (eg msnbc, MTV, TCM). (Note the cable company DVR in other outlet played those channels fine.)

Called the cable company, had them send some hits, but eventually I decided to come back to them later and re-check the basics first.

Replaced a section of crappy RG-59 with a shorter segment of RG-6.

Channels re-appeared. Signal strength meter suddenly said 90 on the very same channels.

First rule of troubleshooting network devices: "check the physical layer"...
post #920 of 3372 Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Ya gotta call

I was afraid of that, thanks.

DJOel
post #921 of 3372 Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Regarding the channel logos that appear on the TiVo channel banner, like shown here http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/gl...ges/LiveTV.jpg where there is supposee to be a logo like here http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/i...ap_360x270.jpgIts the area by teh channel number, time, and station call letters. I have a list of 30 channels that are missing these logo's but I can't find anyone in my area on here to check their own lineup to see if they have the same trouble.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #922 of 3372 Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

I'm a new TiVo owner and I just finished reading through this entire thread. Thanks for the info. I learned several nifty tricks that will help me enjoy my purchase more.

I have one question that I was sure would come up but hadn't. If you have a multistream cablecard and an OTA antenna connected, can you record three shows at once? I don't think you can due to the fact that this topic hadn't come up in this discussion but I thought I'd check. I currently have a cablecard through FiOS and was wondering about hooking up an OTA antenna for that purpose.

Now for the observation. I opted to get the TiVo wireless-N adapter with my purchase. There's no way for me to run cat5 from my router to the TiVo so I had to have some sort of wireless solution. I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player that isn't currently connected to the Internet. When I got my adapter from TiVo, it occurred to me that it identical in function to a "wireless gaming adapter", which is essentially a one port wireless bridge. Its ethernet output is device agnostic. To test this I hooked it up to my Blu-Ray player. Sure enough, I was able to get Internet on the previously unconnected player.

If I buy a cheap four-port switch, can I connect the wireless adapter, the TiVo and the Blu-Ray to the switch and have them all work or will there be contention? I'm thinking it won't work because the wireless MAC to wired MAC has to be a one-to-one mapping.

By the way, I took the plunge by opting for the Premiere XL through the 24-month payment plan. When I ordered it, not knowing the history of TiVo service pricing, I assumed that $19.99 was the current monthly rate. Later, when I found out that this rate was not the "normal" rate. It became obvious that this was setup to gouge you long-term in exchange for a more affordable up-front equipment investment. Even before my order arrived, I called TiVo to cancel because I was going to buy a refurb offered on their site and get the $12.95/month and lifetime option. I went round and round with the guy as he tried to convince me that after my term was up that monthly prices would be negotiable in practice even though it doesn't say that in writing. In fact, it says the opposite. In the end, I couldn't cancel because the order was already out so I decided to give it a try. If I liked it I'd return the unit and buy a refurb either directly through TiVo or on eBay. If I didn't like it I'd still return it. I have until the 19th to decide as that will be one month from the day of activation.

If I do get a new unit, can I just swap out the cablecards without having the FiOS guy come out to the house? Watching him set it up, I'm almost certain I could do it myself if need be. Thankfully, they didn't charge for the service.
post #923 of 3372 Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonium View Post

If you have a multistream cablecard and an OTA antenna connected, can you record three shows at once?

Nope.
post #924 of 3372 Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I buy a cheap four-port switch, can I connect the wireless adapter, the TiVo and the Blu-Ray to the switch and have them all work or will there be contention?

It won't work and I'd dump the TiVo wireless adaptor and replace it with an Access Point or one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6854894&sr=8-1

Quote:

If I do get a new unit, can I just swap out the cablecards without having the FiOS guy come out to the house? Watching him set it up, I'm almost certain I could do it myself if need be. Thankfully, they didn't charge for the service.

Depends on your provider. In most cases they send someone out to pair the card(s) to the receiver. If you are very lucky a phone call might be all it takes.
post #925 of 3372 Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Depends on your provider. In most cases they send someone out to pair the card(s) to the receiver. If you are very lucky a phone call might be all it takes.

I already have a paired cabelcard and TiVo. What I want to know is if I get a different TiVo, can I simply remove the cablecard from this one and slip it into the new device and everything will work?
post #926 of 3372 Old 02-05-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I already have a paired cabelcard and TiVo. What I want to know is if I get a different TiVo, can I simply remove the cablecard from this one and slip it into the new device and everything will work?

It won't. The card(s) would have to be paired to the new receiver.
post #927 of 3372 Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
http://www.woot.com/
$199 for a refurbished Premiere XL! (today only and while supplies last)
post #928 of 3372 Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Others have told you 'No'. However, I did it without a problem. It may have worked for me because I only have basic service plus Comcast's Sports and Entertainment package. It might not work with premium packages...but it worked fine for me.

If it doesn't work, you just need to call Comcast to do the pairing.
post #929 of 3372 Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:

My understanding is that with FIOS you can. With other providers YMMV.

Try it and let us know.
post #930 of 3372 Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:

Most likely the answer is a solid "no" because of the complexity of the handshake protocol required for the cablecard and cable system uses. For example, even if the cablecard and device pair up, copy protection, which is required to decrypt subscribed channels such as hbo, showtime, cinemax, starz, and almost everything else except clear qam, which is like abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cw, upn, pbs, is seperate for exactly the reason your attempting.
Basically what this will mean is that even though the copy protection hasn't been granted you might be able to see those clear qam channels, but thats all.

Idealistically, you'd need a visit from the technician to "pair" the card to the new device and "clear out" the old host ID associated with the card. Once this is done you should be good to go. I did exactly the same thing, was told by Comcast that I could just pop the card into the new device, call them up and tell them the host ID and I'd be good to go.....but it didn't work and still had to have an installer come out.

I hope I was helpful, and good luck dude.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page