post #991 of 3380 Old 04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

All I've ever seen from stations I can transfer to my PC is MPEG video. Some of the D* (and dish) stations are MP4, I believe, but all I've seen from Comcast is MPEG.

I'm getting almost the same bit rates from Comcast as I do for OTA in my area. One funny thing I've noticed is that the headers from both OTA & cable recording say the maximum bitrate is 19Mbs, but when I run it through a program (like VideoReDo's stream fix program) that examines the actual bitrate, the actual maximum bit rate is often much less. I've often thought 14-16Mbps was the lowest rate that should be used for 1080i sports recordings if you want the high-speed action to be completely smooth. 10-12 Mbps is smooth with 720p. Usually both cable and OTA rates are above these numbers.

The header does not necessarily match the actual stream bitrate. The 19 you see is just the maximum allowed ATSC bitrate (audio, video, data, null packets) and nothing more. I guess it is too difficult programming to track the peak bitrate during a recording and then update the header after the recording finishes with the actual maximum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did other people get this? I also got a similar email from Disney Vacations

TiVo® Service Announcement

Dear TiVo Customer,

Today we were informed by our email service provider that your email address was exposed due to unauthorized access of their system. Our email service provider deploys emails on our behalf to customers who have opted into email-based communications from us.

We were advised by our email service provider that the information that was obtained was limited to first name and/or email addresses only. Your service and any other personally identifiable information were not at risk and remain secure.

Please note, it is possible you may receive spam email messages as a result. We want to urge you to be cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown third parties.

We regret this has taken place and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

If you have unsubscribed in the past, there is no need to unsubscribe again. Your preferences will remain in place.

Sincerely,
The TiVo Team

Phil Tomaskovic
post #993 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I got the same email a couple?? of days ago, I just deleted it.
post #994 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Did other people get this? I also got a similar email from Disney Vacations

TiVo® Service Announcement

Dear TiVo Customer,

Today we were informed by our email service provider that your email address was exposed due to unauthorized access of their system. Our email service provider deploys emails on our behalf to customers who have opted into email-based communications from us.

We were advised by our email service provider that the information that was obtained was limited to first name and/or email addresses only. Your service and any other personally identifiable information were not at risk and remain secure.

Please note, it is possible you may receive spam email messages as a result. We want to urge you to be cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown third parties.

We regret this has taken place and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

If you have unsubscribed in the past, there is no need to unsubscribe again. Your preferences will remain in place.

Sincerely,
The TiVo Team

Yes, I got that email, too. The subject was "Important Information About Your Account".
post #995 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I got the email as well, apparently it involves many companies.

Quote:

'Massive' Epsilon E-Mail Breach Hits Citi, Chase, Many More

The Epsilon e-mail breach has escalated into a "massive breach," according to SecurityWeek blogger Mike Lennon.

The breach was first noted on March 31, when Epsilon, a marketing firm whose services include permission-based e-mail marketing and database hosting, began notifying its customers of potential data exposure thanks to an unauthorized entry into Epsilon's e-mail system. According to Epsilon, the information compromised was "limited to e-mail addresses and/or customer names only," and "no other personal identifiable information associated with those names was at risk."

One of Epsilon's clients, grocery chain The Kroger Co., subsequently notified its customers that the database had been breached, and urged its customers to be wary of e-mail from senders they did not know. Later, it was revealed that JPMorgan Chase, Capital One, Marriott Rewards, McKinsey Quarterly, US Bank, Citi, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, Brookstone, Walgreens, The College Board, and the Home Shopping Network (HSN) have joined the ranks.

SecurityWeek notes that while the information harvested may seem like a "minor threat" -- after all, it's just e-mail addresses -- targeted phishing messages to these customers are likely to yield a higher "hit rate" than a blind spamming campaign. In other words, people are much more likely to click on an e-mail (or link within an e-mail) that addresses them by name and purports to be from Citi Bank (especially when Citi Bank is the bank they use) then they are to click on an e-mail that addresses them as "Big Guy" and purports to be from a male "growth" company.

In some cases, more than just e-mail addresses and names were disclosed -- both Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards had member rewards points disclosed, along with names and e-mail addresses. This could give scammers more leverage when they attempt a targeted campaign.

Epsilon has the world's largest e-mail marketing service, and sends more than 40 billion e-mails a year and manages customer databases from 2500 clients. Other Epsilon clients (who have not yet been named in the e-mail breach) include Best Buy, TIAA-CREF, and Staples.

If you subscribe to e-mail marketing from any of these brands, never fear -- you're in no danger as long as you keep an eye out for e-mail from senders you don't know, and don't send any sensitive information (such as credit card or banking info) to "companies" via e-mail. It's also a good idea not to open any attachments unless you personally know who's sending you the e-mail and what the attachment is.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22414...many_more.html

post #996 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Same here.
post #997 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Got it today from both Tivo and Disney.
post #998 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
got it from Tivo. ugh.
post #999 of 3380 Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

No but I agree, the HD folder is redundant.

:sigh:
post #1000 of 3380 Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, Tivo and Robert Half International. I read an article this morning that it affects a lot of companies, including Best Buy and Walgreens. Here it is...
http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...04&id=13264192
post #1001 of 3380 Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Liked: 10
I switched a S3 for a Premiere and am having fits with the 30 second skip. It's just not instant anymore. Yes, I've disabled the preview ff skip thing but when I hit the skip, it pauses a fraction of a second. My typical use would be to hit the skip 4-5x, see if I'm still in a commercial, then maybe hit it again.

If I do that on the premiere, there's an extra fraction of a second for each time I hit the skip. How can this supposedly newer faster better hardware be slower. I don't use any other command nearly as often but I have noticed some other delays.

I've called Tivo who gave me no help but to say that it's an apples to oranges comparison to compare it to the S3. It was almost as if he was admitting it was built on a less efficient platform.

Other than the lower resolution menus on the S3, I'm kinda wishing I had it back.

Apologies if this came up before but I didn't find it in my search.
post #1002 of 3380 Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi ben2e,

I think your concern here is a valid one. I'm also interested if there is a solution or explanation to your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
I switched a S3 for a Premiere and am having fits with the 30 second skip. It's just not instant anymore. Yes, I've disabled the preview ff skip thing but when I hit the skip, it pauses a fraction of a second. My typical use would be to hit the skip 4-5x, see if I'm still in a commercial, then maybe hit it again.

If I do that on the premiere, there's an extra fraction of a second for each time I hit the skip. How can this supposedly newer faster better hardware be slower. I don't use any other command nearly as often but I have noticed some other delays.

I've called Tivo who gave me no help but to say that it's an apples to oranges comparison to compare it to the S3. It was almost as if he was admitting it was built on a less efficient platform.

Other than the lower resolution menus on the S3, I'm kinda wishing I had it back.

Apologies if this came up before but I didn't find it in my search.
post #1003 of 3380 Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Did you try this from the first post? (I'm not near my Premiere, so can't test).
Quote:

30 second scan

On past TiVos, the ADVANCE (-->|) button toggled between the beginning and end of the program by default. If the user wanted that button to perform 30 second skip—a popular feature to skip commercials—they had to enter a special remote sequence: SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT.

The TiVo Premiere ships with a new 30 second “scan” function enabled by default on the ADVANCE (-->|) button. This feature is very similar to the 30 second "slip" on DirecTV's latest DVRs. It doesn't skip 30 seconds; instead, it fast forwards through a 30 second interval in one second (i.e. 30x speed). Pressing ADVANCE repeatedly queues added time. Four presses of the ADVANCE button fast forwards through 120 seconds of programming (or commercials) in four seconds.

The traditional 30 second instant skip function is still available, and enabled with the same remote sequence. Simply enter SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT while viewing a recorded program.

post #1004 of 3380 Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

If I do that on the premiere, there's an extra fraction of a second for each time I hit the skip.

I just tried this on both my TivoHD and Tivo Premiere, and they are both seem to me to be about the same speed. In fact sometimes it skips faster that I expect on the Premiere and I need to backtrack. I hated the 'Scan' method of skipping and did enable the old style skips (by pressing SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT).

Quote:

How can this supposedly newer faster better hardware be slower. I don't use any other command nearly as often but I have noticed some other delays.

The hardware is faster, the software is what is slow. I'm quite happy with the Premiere as an upgrade over the TivoHD. I bought a Premiere for the very real benefit of the Premiere's TivoToGo being so much faster than I could get from the TivoHD. However, the HD menus are too slow for my taste, so I do not use them.
post #1005 of 3380 Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Anyone else getting freezing/lockups streaming Netflix? I seem to get them more often if I use the skip back/forward buttons. All video/audio will stop even if I exit Netflix and attempt to view OTA or recordings. A reboot always gets me back to normal and I have seen the same issue playing a few MKV files. So far zero issues simply viewing OTA recordings. Never see any issues with Netflix via another device.
post #1006 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Anyone else getting freezing/lockups streaming Netflix? I seem to get them more often if I use the skip back/forward buttons. All video/audio will stop even if I exit Netflix and attempt to view OTA or recordings. A reboot always gets me back to normal and I have seen the same issue playing a few MKV files. So far zero issues simply viewing OTA recordings. Never see any issues with Netflix via another device.

I haven't had any problems with lockups since the first software update, but others have. I used Netflix at least once a week, though I rarely fast forward or rewind.

I hear Netflix seems to lock-up the system when the internet cuts out, even momentarily. I've also heard downloading video podcasts can cause lockups - even just having the podcast on the drive (including recently deleted). I've never downloaded one though.
post #1007 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I haven't had any problems with lockups since the first software update, but others have. I used Netflix at least once a week, though I rarely fast forward or rewind.

I hear Netflix seems to lock-up the system when the internet cuts out, even momentarily.

I use/have used Netflix with several other devices so it's not them as far as I can tell. I stream quite a bit and recently moved back to the TiVo. Previously, I didn't have any issues but now the video/audio will stop playing (frozen or black screen - not attempting to rebuffer) and often I can still navigate around the menus but the image never comes back. Some times I can't and TiVo will reboot itself after a short period of time.
post #1008 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Unfortunately, Netflix performance is closely tied to the Internet. We play a lot of World of Warcraft in my house and we are very aware of how often the quality of our connection goes to hell. We will be fine for months on end, but suddenly we will go through weeks where we disconnect every fifteen minutes or more.

Just as unfortunate, it seems that the Tivos do not always respond well to drop-outs. Having a wired connection helps a lot.
post #1009 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Just as unfortunate, it seems that the Tivos do not always respond well to drop-outs. Having a wired connection helps a lot.

I am wired and in the past I have seen plenty of re-buffering without losing the video/audio completely. It won't even play recordings or live TV afterwards. The other day it said it wasn't receiving a OTA signal after it started acting up. To me it appears the decoder freaks out and everything goes downhill from there. As I stated before it tends to happen much more often (almost exclusively) when I use fast forward/rewind. Not sure how it knows to but most often it will reboot itself (while frozen) if I keep pushing buttons on the remote. I watch far more recordings than streaming and have zero issues with them so I don't think it's the box per se.
post #1010 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 607
As an experiment, you might want to try deleting all the video podcasts on the drive. Be sure to clear them from the "recently deleted" folder too.

Not sure if it will do anything, but I remember reading a while back people with lock-up problems clearing all downloaded podcasts from their drive, and the lock-ups stopped.
post #1011 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

it would be awesome to be able to "delete all permanently" in the recently deleted folder, but as it stands it is more trouble than it is worth.
post #1012 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

it would be awesome to be able to "delete all permanently" in the recently deleted folder, but as it stands it is more trouble than it is worth.

They will be permanently deleted on their own. Why would you need to manually delete them?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1013 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

As an experiment, you might want to try deleting all the video podcasts on the drive. Be sure to clear them from the "recently deleted" folder too.

I have never downloaded a podcast. But I did have roughly 2 dozen MKV files waiting to be viewed. Just checked and I had 59 deleted recordings... just permanently deleted them for the fun of it. Since it has evolved around Netflix (just once with a MKV file) I haven't been looking at the entire box but I might run a clear and delete everything if it keeps up.
post #1014 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

Quote:

I am wired and in the past I have seen plenty of re-buffering without losing the video/audio completely. It won't even play recordings or live TV afterwards. The other day it said it wasn't receiving a OTA signal after it started acting up. To me it appears the decoder freaks out and everything goes downhill from there. As I stated before it tends to happen much more often (almost exclusively) when I use fast forward/rewind. Not sure how it knows to but most often it will reboot itself (while frozen) if I keep pushing buttons on the remote. I watch far more recordings than streaming and have zero issues with them so I don't think it's the box per se.

You are not alone. The TiVo lockup problem with Netflix that you are describing was very common for the TiVo HD. It drove me up a wall to the point I was afraid to do any trickplay functions while streaming Netflix and considered buying a separate Netflix device. A lockup always required a TiVo reboot (why couldn't they stick a darn reboot button on the case) which was nerve wracking because in my case it would take sometimes 2-3 power cycles before the TiVo would recover and make it all the way through startup.

My Internet connection has become very stable and I'm connected by hard-wire. The final updates to the TiVo HD software seemed to have ironed out the trickplay bugs so that I haven't locked it up with a FF/RW in a long time but if the Internet stalls out due to heavy Netflix volume, pushing the wrong button on the remote (i.e. anything except exit to TV) will lock it up tight.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1015 of 3380 Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

They will be permanently deleted on their own. Why would you need to manually delete them?

because of the post above mine. If you had to delete all podcasts because your box was running slow and that was the fix.
post #1016 of 3380 Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Could someone please help me with this situation.

I purchased a Tivo PremiereXL last year, around April/May 2010 for $500.00 plus tax, from BestBuy in Buffalo. I only got to activate today because of my living situation and moving etc, however, I freaked out when the only payment option was $19.99 a month 1 year contract, no lifetime option was offered. Is this right? Will Tivo support be able to help me or am I stuck with the monthly payment plan? I'm really upset about this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
post #1017 of 3380 Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

call them, I think they will do it over the phone.
post #1018 of 3380 Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Yep if you can show you purchased it before 11/13/10, you can get any rate they offer including lifetime (which is the best deal).
post #1019 of 3380 Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Thank you b_scott and slowbiscuit for your quick response and support. I really appreciate it.

Well I talked to TiVo customer support and they told me to fax a cover letter, letter of request and the receipt. I did that yesterday and I have a reference number. They said it could take 3-5 business days. The rep sounded very reassuring in that what I have in my favour is I purchased the unit June 5th, 2010 and it clearly states this on the receipt and also reflects what slowbiscuit said in his post.

I will report back on my results when they call me with the final verdict.
post #1020 of 3380 Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Comcast on-demand coming to Tivo Premiere.

Hopefully makes its way to PA.

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...261&highlight=
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page