The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 3371 Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
When viewing Netflix the info bar is red.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 3371 Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Netflix has that play issue with me too, and many others. It's a bug. You have to play, hit back, then play again and it'll work. It's annoying.
b_scott is offline  
post #1173 of 3371 Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone advise what is the best service plan for a lifetime subscription to Tivo Premiere?

I understand TiVo sells a 3 year plan for $39.99. Then there's a buy-up charge if the TiVo has to be replaced within that time frame. (See TiVo site).

On the other hand, Best Buy offers a 4 year plan for $19.99. Now the folks at Best Buy are not very well versed in what this arrangement REALLY covers. They initially told me that their service plan (the Best Buy plan) only covered the box itself and not the transfer of a lifetime subscription to a new box in the event of TiVo box failure during the service plan period. Obviously, we understand any transfer of a lifetime subscription (during the active service plan dates) is subject to whatever TiVo wants to do. Obviously, this scenario would also hold true for anyone in the monthly contract plan with TiVo. But the point is here, Best Buy had no knowledge whatsoever. Only that their $19.99 4 year plan covered the replacement of the TiVo box (itself) if it breaks within 4 years of purchase. And we all know, a new TiVo box will do you no good until it is activated with TiVo. So then the question becomes, what will that cost you (if anything) during the active service plan period?

So I called TiVo to get more information about the Best Buy service plan and how that relates to what TiVo does when/if Best Buy customers contact TiVo and report their boxes are broken (within the active service plan period). The TiVo rep told me (currently) they are honoring a retail transfer of TiVo boxes during the service plan period of a Best Buy service plan. In other words, if the box breaks within the 4 year period (purchased at Best Buy), then Best Buy would give you a new box. Then, according to TiVo, they are currently offering the *transfer* of a lifetime subscription to a new TiVo box provided the Best Buy customer first contacts TiVo, then ships the defective TiVo box to TiVo, along with an exchange receipt from Best Buy.

However, the TiVo rep told me he cannot guarantee that TiVo will always offer this 'retail exchange' of the lifetime subscription--even when Best Buy customers are still within the 4 year period. However, he had no information about any upcoming changes that would affect that arrangement either.

It seems like a little bit of a gray area for people who are considering a TiVo box--particularly those people who are considering the lifetime subscription with TiVo on a single TiVo. $500 is plenty of money for someone to spend on the lifetime TiVo subscription service, in addition to the $100 up front to purchase the box itself. So most people would want assurances that their TiVo box would last at least 3-4 years with FULL coverage and no fees whatsoever if it became necessary to swap out the TiVo box due to failure during that time frame.

On the surface, it would appear the *current* situation with what TiVo is willing to accept from Best Buy is a more favorable service plan option (versus the service plan offered internally through TiVo). But I am not certain on this matter since the rep at TiVo told me what they honor from Best Buy (right now) is subject to change at any time, even for those customers who have just paid for a new subscription.

TiVo seems like a great product with user friendly features. I just want to feel more comfortable about these service plans and what is truly the best way of handling it. Any thoughts or suggestions from others here
evan237 is offline  
post #1174 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I wouldn't believe anything a Tivo rep says about the ability to transfer a lifetime sub unless it was in writing. If you can get something from them to that effect, it's probably safe to go with the BB service plan.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #1175 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yragha View Post

Without reading thru nearly 40 pages can anyone tell me if Netflix sometimes acts up on their TIVO premiere?
Your input would be appreciated.

In a word....
Yes.
It also acts up on my PS3. Note that you might have a 25 MBps service to your home, but that doesn't mean you're constantly connected to the NetFlix server at that rate. I use the PS3 most often for Netflix and I've noticed the buffering pauses most often occur during prime time.

As to your other question, I use the SD menus and can be no help.
Hyrax is offline  
post #1176 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,665
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I was having problems with Netflix on my Premiere and got a Roku2 box. Haven't had any streaming problems with that.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DaverJ is online now  
post #1177 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
In the past, TiVo has always transferred the lifetime of a box to the replacement box when under an extended warranty. Now I don't know how many times they would do this. But I guess since the Best Buy warranty is used up if the box is replaced it would only need to be once any way. With the BestBuy warranty it will first try to be repaired. If it is repaired the warranty stays in force. It it is replaced, you have used up your warranty and would need to purchase a new one. Since technically they give you credit based on the cost of the old box and you need to buy a new box.

Of course TiVos policy could always change which is why the rep can't tell you that it would always be the policy. If you might be concerned about it then get the extended warranty from TiVo. I have several Premieres with the TiVo warranty but I bought them through TiVo. The Elite I recently purchased I got from BestBuy and payed $74 for a 4 year extended warranty from BestBuy. TiVo still offered the three year warranty at $40 like the two tuner Premieres but I opted to get the BestBuy warranty for my Elite.

I've never had problems with my TiVos over the last ten years but I figured if I did have a problem with the Elite, I might as well get the longer term warranty. That way I'm covered for a longer period, or if I sell it 3 years in the future, the future owner would still have some warranty left and also help increase the resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

Can anyone advise what is the best service plan for a lifetime subscription to Tivo Premiere?

I understand TiVo sells a 3 year plan for $39.99. Then there's a buy-up charge if the TiVo has to be replaced within that time frame. (See TiVo site).

On the other hand, Best Buy offers a 4 year plan for $19.99. Now the folks at Best Buy are not very well versed in what this arrangement REALLY covers. They initially told me that their service plan (the Best Buy plan) only covered the box itself and not the transfer of a lifetime subscription to a new box in the event of TiVo box failure during the service plan period. Obviously, we understand any transfer of a lifetime subscription (during the active service plan dates) is subject to whatever TiVo wants to do. Obviously, this scenario would also hold true for anyone in the monthly contract plan with TiVo. But the point is here, Best Buy had no knowledge whatsoever. Only that their $19.99 4 year plan covered the replacement of the TiVo box (itself) if it breaks within 4 years of purchase. And we all know, a new TiVo box will do you no good until it is activated with TiVo. So then the question becomes, what will that cost you (if anything) during the active service plan period?

So I called TiVo to get more information about the Best Buy service plan and how that relates to what TiVo does when/if Best Buy customers contact TiVo and report their boxes are broken (within the active service plan period). The TiVo rep told me (currently) they are honoring a retail transfer of TiVo boxes during the service plan period of a Best Buy service plan. In other words, if the box breaks within the 4 year period (purchased at Best Buy), then Best Buy would give you a new box. Then, according to TiVo, they are currently offering the *transfer* of a lifetime subscription to a new TiVo box provided the Best Buy customer first contacts TiVo, then ships the defective TiVo box to TiVo, along with an exchange receipt from Best Buy.

However, the TiVo rep told me he cannot guarantee that TiVo will always offer this 'retail exchange' of the lifetime subscription--even when Best Buy customers are still within the 4 year period. However, he had no information about any upcoming changes that would affect that arrangement either.

It seems like a little bit of a gray area for people who are considering a TiVo box--particularly those people who are considering the lifetime subscription with TiVo on a single TiVo. $500 is plenty of money for someone to spend on the lifetime TiVo subscription service, in addition to the $100 up front to purchase the box itself. So most people would want assurances that their TiVo box would last at least 3-4 years with FULL coverage and no fees whatsoever if it became necessary to swap out the TiVo box due to failure during that time frame.

On the surface, it would appear the *current* situation with what TiVo is willing to accept from Best Buy is a more favorable service plan option (versus the service plan offered internally through TiVo). But I am not certain on this matter since the rep at TiVo told me what they honor from Best Buy (right now) is subject to change at any time, even for those customers who have just paid for a new subscription.

TiVo seems like a great product with user friendly features. I just want to feel more comfortable about these service plans and what is truly the best way of handling it. Any thoughts or suggestions from others here


39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1178 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
catmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When viewing Netflix the info bar is red.

On a different topic, my Premiere loses all TWC cable channels ~ 3 months or so. Not just SDV, all channels. It is not the TA or CC, rebooting the TA does not help. Moreover when this happens traversing the various Tivo diagnostics eventually renders the Premiere un-resposive.
Meanwhile OTA reception is perfectly normal. A Tivo reboot restores normal cable operation.

While I have not established a definitive correlation, it seems to be related to deleting 5 or more large recordings like sports events which run 3 hour +.

IIRC the Tivo linux OS uses XFS which is the preferred file system designed to facilitate deleting large files so file corruption should not be an issue.

Do have any insight into this situation ?
If not I should pursue this on TivoCommunity.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
catmother is offline  
post #1179 of 3371 Old 10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

On a different topic, my Premiere loses all TWC cable channels ~ 3 months or so. Not just SDV, all channels. It is not the TA or CC, rebooting the TA does not help. Moreover when this happens traversing the various Tivo diagnostics eventually renders the Premiere un-resposive.
Meanwhile OTA reception is perfectly normal. A Tivo reboot restores normal cable operation.

While I have not established a definitive correlation, it seems to be related to deleting 5 or more large recordings like sports events which run 3 hour +.

IIRC the Tivo linux OS uses XFS which is the preferred file system designed to facilitate deleting large files so file corruption should not be an issue.

Do have any insight into this situation ?
If not I should pursue this on TivoCommunity.

I can only say that I've deleted long recordings(12+ hours of HD) before with zero issues. But I'm also on FiOS which doesn't use Tuning Adapters. From what I read those can cause several issues..

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1180 of 3371 Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
catmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I can only say that I've deleted long recordings(12+ hours of HD) before with zero issues. But I'm also on FiOS which doesn't use Tuning Adapters. From what I read those can cause several issues..

Thanks, Verizon has a large presence in San Diego but but no FiOS. Pity

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
catmother is offline  
post #1181 of 3371 Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

In the past, TiVo has always transferred the lifetime of a box to the replacement box when under an extended warranty. Now I don't know how many times they would do this. But I guess since the Best Buy warranty is used up if the box is replaced it would only need to be once any way. With the BestBuy warranty it will first try to be repaired. If it is repaired the warranty stays in force. It it is replaced, you have used up your warranty and would need to purchase a new one. Since technically they give you credit based on the cost of the old box and you need to buy a new box.

Of course TiVos policy could always change which is why the rep can't tell you that it would always be the policy. If you might be concerned about it then get the extended warranty from TiVo. I have several Premieres with the TiVo warranty but I bought them through TiVo. The Elite I recently purchased I got from BestBuy and payed $74 for a 4 year extended warranty from BestBuy. TiVo still offered the three year warranty at $40 like the two tuner Premieres but I opted to get the BestBuy warranty for my Elite.

I've never had problems with my TiVos over the last ten years but I figured if I did have a problem with the Elite, I might as well get the longer term warranty. That way I'm covered for a longer period, or if I sell it 3 years in the future, the future owner would still have some warranty left and also help increase the resale value.

Well, if TiVo continues to honor the Best Buy warranty, to include repairing or replacing the box at least one time (retail exchange), then it would seem like the 4 year service plan from Best Buy is the better option. The warranty through TiVo is only for 3 years and it includes other charges (during that three year time). It's a shame though that TiVo doesn't commit themselves to the life of a specific warranty once it is purchased from Best Buy. For example, I would hate to buy a TiVo box (today) with a BB warranty. Then two years down the road, I find out that policy has changed and that I would then have to buy an entirely new TiVo subscription as a result of a TiVo box failure. While there are no forecasted changes, it's too bad that TiVo will not commit themselves with the BB plans (at least for BB service plans purchased through X date).
evan237 is offline  
post #1182 of 3371 Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
L David Matheny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

Well, if TiVo continues to honor the Best Buy warranty, to include repairing or replacing the box at least one time (retail exchange), then it would seem like the 4 year service plan from Best Buy is the better option. The warranty through TiVo is only for 3 years and it includes other charges (during that three year time). It's a shame though that TiVo doesn't commit themselves to the life of a specific warranty once it is purchased from Best Buy. For example, I would hate to buy a TiVo box (today) with a BB warranty. Then two years down the road, I find out that policy has changed and that I would then have to buy an entirely new TiVo subscription as a result of a TiVo box failure. While there are no forecasted changes, it's too bad that TiVo will not commit themselves with the BB plans (at least for BB service plans purchased through X date).

TiVo probably has nothing to do with the Best Buy service plan (warranty). If you buy an "extended warranty" from TiVo themselves, you might reasonably expect it to be an extended version of their manufacturer warranty. But most "extended warranty" plans are really insurance policies, often written by third parties. I wouldn't buy one unless they guaranteed that transfer of my lifetime service would be covered (by their paying TiVo to do that if necessary), but TiVo themselves wouldn't be guaranteeing anything in a case like that. They wouldn't even know about it until a claim was made.
L David Matheny is online now  
post #1183 of 3371 Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As any TiVo owner knows, you go through setup and you plug in a zip code to get you started. But in many cases if you are trying to lock in all over the air channels that you know you can receive, you *then* have to go through the manual channel scan to grab the leftover channels that the zip code did not pick up.

So the question, what difference does it really make concerning the zip code provided as long as it is somewhere in your time zone? I am concluding the answer is no significance. But others can correct me if I am wrong on this issue.

I am in my 30 day trial of TiVo. So far I like it. I only have it hooked up to antenna TV. And if I decide to get a cable card, I assume this whole zip code thing is still a moot point because the cable company would have the cable card programmed with authorized channels for my address only. Any thoughts on this matter?
evan237 is offline  
post #1184 of 3371 Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

As any TiVo owner knows, you go through setup and you plug in a zip code to get you started. But in many cases if you are trying to lock in all over the air channels that you know you can receive, you *then* have to go through the manual channel scan to grab the leftover channels that the zip code did not pick up.

So the question, what difference does it really make concerning the zip code provided as long as it is somewhere in your time zone? I am concluding the answer is no significance. But others can correct me if I am wrong on this issue.

I am in my 30 day trial of TiVo. So far I like it. I only have it hooked up to antenna TV. And if I decide to get a cable card, I assume this whole zip code thing is still a moot point because the cable company would have the cable card programmed with authorized channels for my address only. Any thoughts on this matter?

I thought the zip code is used to determine the channel guide to use. So it knows what station is broadcasting on the channel, not really what the avail channels are. 2 different stations could be broadcasting on the same channel in the same time zone, but different programming.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is online now  
post #1185 of 3371 Old 11-03-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I thought the zip code is used to determine the channel guide to use. So it knows what station is broadcasting on the channel, not really what the avail channels are. 2 different stations could be broadcasting on the same channel in the same time zone, but different programming.

Yes, it needs to be a zipcode in your broadcast area.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1186 of 3371 Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes, it needs to be a zipcode in your broadcast area.

Well, what you have both said makes sense....to the extent that it should be a zip code somewhere in the *general* area of where I live. But when I first went through setup, using my home zip code, I noticed it left out some of my neighboring out of market stations. At this point (during the process), I was not yet familiar with the manual channel scan feature (using the remote) to grab the leftover stations that the zip code setup feature did not obtain.

So in my case, in order to try to force the TiVo to recognize *all* broadcast stations that I really do get with my over the air antenna, I plugged in a zip code about 35 miles away. The particular zip code that I used is still inside my DMA, but it borders on the neighboring out of market locals that I also obtain with my antenna in the next market over. Using this zip code in setup, the TiVo *then* recognized all of my home town locals, plus all of my out of market locals. However, there was still *one* channel that TiVo didn't recognize (a repeater station) using the zip code feature only. It was at that point that I discovered the manual channel scan option using the remote. Once I did that, it picked up the remaining station that I get over the air with my antenna.

I have not taken the time to change the zip code in my TiVo back to my home zip code. And at this time, it would seem possible that it could jeopardize some of the guide data. So I guess like the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'. So I'll just leave the zip code that's in there (about 35 miles away). But I do understand your feedback. Thanks.

PS I noticed the TiVo guide fails to recognize repeater stations, but at least using the manual channel scan option does grab those stations as well. Although my TiVo will not show guide data for the repeater station, at least it now tunes into that station as well as all the others.
evan237 is offline  
post #1187 of 3371 Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Member
 
yragha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

It was at that point that I discovered the manual channel scan option using the remote.

How does one access that?

Question, NETFLIX related kinda --

the red informational bar that comes up after you press play to begin whatever you are trying to watch. I've tried countless times pressing (RIGHT) direction to bring up the mini bar, then the red bar that shows at the top of the screen only to be back to the episode description bar the next time I play something. THE RED BAR THAT DRAPES ACROSS THE TOP OF THE NETFLIX SCREEN is the one I want. I don't need the big episode description that displays since I read up on that prior to watching anything. Can anyone get the bar other than the informational one to stick. I sure can't.

The blue bar during live tv watching without description sticks fine. However I can't get the red NETFLIX bar to take. Could this be something with NETFLIX & the tivo?

Thanks!
yragha is offline  
post #1188 of 3371 Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yragha View Post

How does one access that?Thanks!

You can go to Settings, then Setttings & Messages, Channels, and finally Channel Scan. Once you get there, you will see an option (probably highlighted) to 'scan for channels'.

This option pulls in what I call 'the leftover' broadcast stations that you 'do' receive OTA, but those that were not picked up when you previously setup your TiVo using the zip code function. These channels would be any additional broadcast stations that your tuner sees from your specific location.

This option would normally (probably) not be used for any of your true locals because the zip code feature should automatically pick up all of those. But in my case, I have access to out of market locals. When I used my home zip code, it did pick up most of the out of market locals through the zip code setup and loaded all the guide data for those channels. However, there were a *couple* of out of market locals that were left out.

The only downside of channel scan seems to be that while the channels can be added to your lineup in this manner (you'll now see them in your guide), you won't have access to the details of any particular program on that channel. I guess the ideal scenario would be to have TiVo Tech support add all neighboring out of market local guide data to your particular zip code, but I don't know how easy of a process that might be.

Note: there is the option of using an alternate zip code that may pick up all broadcast stations that you receive in two markets (can try picking one in the middle between both markets). However, if you use TiVo for both OTA and cable (with cable card), you generally need to stick with your true home zip code to get the proper guide data to load for the cable channels.
evan237 is offline  
post #1189 of 3371 Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cap'n Preshoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cinco Ranch West (Houston suburb)
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

As any TiVo owner knows, you go through setup and you plug in a zip code to get you started. But in many cases if you are trying to lock in all over the air channels that you know you can receive, you *then* have to go through the manual channel scan to grab the leftover channels that the zip code did not pick up.

So the question, what difference does it really make concerning the zip code provided as long as it is somewhere in your time zone? I am concluding the answer is no significance. But others can correct me if I am wrong on this issue.

I am in my 30 day trial of TiVo. So far I like it. I only have it hooked up to antenna TV. And if I decide to get a cable card, I assume this whole zip code thing is still a moot point because the cable company would have the cable card programmed with authorized channels for my address only. Any thoughts on this matter?

My experience with Cable Cards (I have two now) is that when you get them they are almost brain dead. They will boot, but you have to call Comcast to have them initialized and paired, the latter process being something the Comcast Teledroid you initially reach will likely be unable to do and you will need to ask to be transferred to 2nd level support (good luck with that as well).

If you have Comcast, the initialization/authorization process can be achieved by calling 888-270-6445 and choose option 1. They'll need the s/n of the card (most start with "P"xxxxxxxxxx)

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Cap'n Preshoot is offline  
post #1190 of 3371 Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

My experience with Cable Cards (I have two now) is that when you get them they are almost brain dead. They will boot, but you have to call Comcast to have them initialized and paired, the latter process being something the Comcast Teledroid you initially reach will likely be unable to do and you will need to ask to be transferred to 2nd level support (good luck with that as well).

If you have Comcast, the initialization/authorization process can be achieved by calling 888-270-6445 and choose option 1. They'll need the s/n of the card (most start with "P"xxxxxxxxxx)

In my area, it is Time Warner Cable. But I suspect it is the same experience with most of these cable companies in that you end up being transferred to 2nd level support (like you said) before anything gets accomplished. Even then it may be hit or miss.

On a different note, I have gathered, (as per my last post--and what was mentioned on here by others), that a specific home zip code is critical with these cable cards. Even within the same DMA with the same broadcast or specialty channels, cable companies often use different channel numbers for these same networks. So if you put in a zip code 30 miles away in the next county over and left it like that through the setup process, it could really hijack your guide data for the channels through the cable card.

I think the only time you can fudge it (a little) is when you use TiVo for OTA only. In those cases, it may not make any difference if you use a different zip code (35 miles away for example). In fact, (as I found) sometimes it can be beneficial if you are trying to get guide data from two different OTA markets. Of course, the other option could be contacting TiVo tech support and asking them to add all guide data for any missing OTA channels that a viewer receives in their particular zip code.
evan237 is offline  
post #1191 of 3371 Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
jobedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cumming Iowa
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some thoughts about the Long-Range Antenna that comes with this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Long-Ran...rd163300050001. I was not impressed by the looks of it ,i set it up in the house first and the signal was not as good as old one in the attic .I put it up on the roof and it and it gets all the channels in my area, the signal went up about 10 -20 %.
Joe
jobedo is offline  
post #1192 of 3371 Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post

Some thoughts about the Long-Range Antenna that comes with this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Long-Ran...rd163300050001. I was not impressed by the looks of it ,i set it up in the house first and the signal was not as good as old one in the attic .I put it up on the roof and it and it gets all the channels in my area, the signal went up about 10 -20 %.
Joe

I have a Clearstream 4 in my attic. Like you, I was not impressed by the looks or style of the Clearstream models. But it works very well. My Clearstream 4 has locked in a couple of stations 70 miles away; and I get them 24/7 in HD. Of course, we know a lot of factors play into that; and I happen to live in a good neighborhood for OTA signals.
evan237 is offline  
post #1193 of 3371 Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
jobedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cumming Iowa
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Premiere OTA signal is 15 % lower than my HD Tivo .That makes some of my channel's down to 50 % . That's not good, and yes i use the same antenna line on both boxes
Joe
jobedo is offline  
post #1194 of 3371 Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post

The Premiere OTA signal is 15 % lower than my HD Tivo .That makes some of my channel's down to 50 % . That's not good, and yes i use the same antenna line on both boxes
Joe

It's only not good if you don't get a picture at 50%. If my signal is at 50% and lower I can get a consistently good, clean picture without any issues.
I have several local stations with a signal strength between 30 and 50 on my Premieres. They are all rock solid at those signal levels.
If it drops to around 20 I will have issues. One of them does this when the foliage is gone from the trees. Fortunately I use FiOS for my recordings so I don't need to rely on OTA, but it is there for a backup and I have a box that still records some shows from OTA.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1195 of 3371 Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's only not good if you don't get a picture at 50%. If my signal is at 50% and lower I can get a consistently good, clean picture without any issues.
I have several local stations with a signal strength between 30 and 50 on my Premieres. They are all rock solid at those signal levels.
If it drops to around 20 I will have issues. One of them does this when the foliage is gone from the trees. Fortunately I use FiOS for my recordings so I don't need to rely on OTA, but it is there for a backup and I have a box that still records some shows from OTA.

I've never understood why there isn't a more universal measurement with these signal meters that are built into new HDTVs. For example, on my 37 Panasonic LED, I generally need to maintain 50% signal strength. If/when it drops below that level, I can expect pixelations and dropouts. And when the meter gets in the low 40 percent range, there's generally no picture on my screen at all.

Yet, I understand on other televisions, people can view a picture with lower signal rates. Perhaps, every brand uses their own special type of built in meter. As a result, it seems like comparing apples to oranges from one HDTV brand to another

PS I am just referring to the built in signal meters and not a professional external instrument that might be used by someone in the business.
evan237 is offline  
post #1196 of 3371 Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone heard a noise when pausing while rewinding? Sounds like a stuck stuttering noise. I never heard it before but I took my receiver into the shop for repair so the tivo is now going hdmi to the tv (Sony hx929) instead of to the receiver. Actually heard it on both my Premieer and a HD-XL, so I'm guessing the tv has some hdmi issue, but just curious if anyones else has heard it.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is online now  
post #1197 of 3371 Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Member
 
CynKennard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Has anyone heard a noise when pausing while rewinding? Sounds like a stuck stuttering noise. I never heard it before but I took my receiver into the shop for repair so the tivo is now going hdmi to the tv (Sony hx929) instead of to the receiver. Actually heard it on both my Premieer and a HD-XL, so I'm guessing the tv has some hdmi issue, but just curious if anyones else has heard it.

Yes, I hear it from either of my TiVo HD XL's, but only in a separate zone where the left/right analog audio output is fed. I don't hear it in my living room where I have digital audio in use.

Cynthia
CynKennard is offline  
post #1198 of 3371 Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,807
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I also hear it after pausing my Tivo HD, switching inputs on my HDTV(Sony) and going back to the Tivos HDMI input. Unpausing stops the stuttering and I never hear this on my AVR, only the TV speakers.
jjeff is offline  
post #1199 of 3371 Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
jobedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cumming Iowa
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I activated my Premiere today and even thou i had been told by Tivo before purchasing http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Long-Ran...rd163300050001 no lifetime, when i gave them the serial number they offered me lifetime. I then ask for 99$ deal on my HD Tivo and they gave it to me . Its kind of scary first they up the price for service then they almost give it away .
Joe
jobedo is offline  
post #1200 of 3371 Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
sdsalsero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post

I activated my Premiere today and even thou i had been told by Tivo before purchasing http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Long-Ran...rd163300050001 no lifetime, when i gave them the serial number they offered me lifetime. I then ask for 99$ deal on my HD Tivo and they gave it to me. Its kind of scary first they up the price for service then they almost give it away.

You mean you got a brand-new Premiere w lifetime for $200 total?? Or, are you saying that you had to pay more than $99 for lifetime on the Premiere, but you got lifetime on an older THD for $99?
sdsalsero is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off