post #1291 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I am trying to plan ahead. I don't want another computer, the CM-7400 sucks, BV-980H is real buggy and the PHD-VRX is still vaporware. My TiVo should be here today. Call me a boy scout.

Joe,
Are you going to belly up the cash for the lifetime subscription or go with the monthly fee?
Those devices that you listed won't work for me as I watch mainly the premium channels and will need a cablecard device. I really don't watch much on the broadcast channels.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Joe,
Are you going to belly up the cash for the lifetime subscription or go with the monthly fee?
Those devices that you listed won't work for me as I watch mainly the premium channels and will need a cablecard device. I really don't watch much on the broadcast channels.

As boxes go, it's not bad. I had to work to get my channels since without a card you only get one or two initially. A manual scan includes scrambled channels. Since the channel up/down only selects favorites, that made it easy since I only ever record one or two per Sony. BTW, until your registration is processed there is no manual recording. It found 422 channels. I can record the current program, but no manual scheduling until tomorrow.

I can live without premium channels but not without network channels. For SD cable I still have my 2610A and 515H. They do a great job. So, yes, I signed up for a one year @ $20/month. Tomorrow I'll see how SE feels about me getting a $3 cable card and losing the Pace box. I already have HD service.

It will take a little while to get used to the remote. The web site could use some work too. This box is used and I had to kill the previous registration. I'll keep you posted on any progress. Thanks for tips from everyone. It uses 23 watts all the time. There's no harm by placing it in standby, is there? I like a blank front panel. I need to put a sticker on top to remove power before moving like the DHG.
post #1293 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

It will take a little while to get used to the remote...

The remote seems ok to me.. except that I can't seem to get used to NOT having a "Stop" button.

I take it that you can tune to your 4-decimal place QAM numbers ok?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1294 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The remote seems ok to me.. except that I can't seem to get used to NOT having a "Stop" button.

I take it that you can tune to your 4-decimal place QAM numbers ok?

First, the || pause on the 515H is not cancelled by > play. With the Tivo, pause will un-pause. this will take a while to learn. To be fair, Stop on the DHG does more than just stop. But you're right, a simple Stop would be nice. The simple Play seems ok once you have the title rolling.

I'm glad I didn't have any problems with my channels. It counted all my scrambled channels, but this unit wants a cable card, so I will not complain. You can't directly tune a channel that isn't on the list from what I can see. It was mentioned earlier that I will have to scroll to the channel. No problem.

Funny, I have a channel 26.0000 that messes up my 515H dual tuner. The Tivo tunes it if I punch 26 and thinks it is scrambled. My Sony TV thinks 26 is analog and channel up gives me 26.6101. The DHG doesn't detect it since it smells scrambled. You have to see it to appreciate the mess. I should mention that there was no problems getting the data from my cable feed via the internet even though it thinks I use a cable card.

Honestly, I bought the unit to see how it will work with raw QAM. So far it looks good. On Friday I get the PViX M6620N.
post #1295 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's a lot of info on non-TiVo boxes .. ; )
post #1296 of 3342 Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

There's no harm by placing it in standby, is there? I like a blank front panel.

No, no harm. I do it with my HD all the time. You should be able to dim or turn off the front panel lights through the menu.
post #1297 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No, no harm. I do it with my HD all the time. You should be able to dim or turn off the front panel lights through the menu.

Thank you again. I also figured out how to do manual recordings. I don't like the schedule display though. With a manual recording, there are five entries when you select M-F. I like the "D" and "W" icons for repeating titles. I'm too old.
post #1298 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thank you again. I also figured out how to do manual recordings. I don't like the schedule display though. With a manual recording, there are five entries when you select M-F. I like the "D" and "W" icons for repeating titles. I'm too old.

Manual recording is nice for some odd situations like a late-breaking special that hasn't made it into the guide, but the strength of a TiVo is the flexible name-based recording (using the guide). I can't remember the last time I did a manual recording.
post #1299 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I can't remember the last time I did a manual recording.

I used to do a manual recording of Daily Show Monday through Thursday because it was repeated so often, but it still records reruns when there's no new episode that night.

But then I found the excellent Tupper Method using wishlists, which is as reliable AND doesn't record reruns.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1300 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Manual recording is nice for some odd situations like a late-breaking special that hasn't made it into the guide, but the strength of a TiVo is the flexible name-based recording (using the guide). I can't remember the last time I did a manual recording.

I did establish that a manual recording can be done. Technically but not simply, I could live without a cable card now.

I ran into a problem that took the customer service (great help) about 30 minutes to fix. Over a year ago I bought a Nero Tivo box. Seems that was really confusing the Tivo computer, blocking my activation. Computers are happy now.

Next step is to get the cable card. Or should I wait for the 20.2 s/w update first?

Someone mentioned dimming the front panel LED indicators. Doesn't seem to be an option on my unit.
post #1301 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Next step is to get the cable card. Or should I wait for the 20.2 s/w update first?

Someone mentioned dimming the front panel LED indicators. Doesn't seem to be an option on my unit.

Dunno why you would wait for the 20.2 update. It's an improvement, but not really a major one IMHO (unless you are really into MRS), and I don't know if it would affect cable cards. Plus, you may not get the update for up to 2 weeks, as Tivo rolls this stuff out slowly.

LED's aren't dimmable, but to turn off the LED's: Go to Settings>Displays>Displays on the Front of the DVR>LED lights on/off
post #1302 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

That's a lot of info on non-TiVo boxes .. ; )

Kind of poetic justice for all the Tivo talk in the non Tivo threads
Quote:

I don't have a Premier but on the Tivo HD you can turn OFF, LEDs(recording, power), Resolution lights or both. After 3? years I just turned off the resolution lights the other night. Was playing around in the setup and saw the options.
post #1303 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

As boxes go, it's not bad. I had to work to get my channels since without a card you only get one or two initially. A manual scan includes scrambled channels. Since the channel up/down only selects favorites, that made it easy since I only ever record one or two per Sony. BTW, until your registration is processed there is no manual recording. It found 422 channels. I can record the current program, but no manual scheduling until tomorrow.

I can live without premium channels but not without network channels. For SD cable I still have my 2610A and 515H. They do a great job. So, yes, I signed up for a one year @ $20/month. Tomorrow I'll see how SE feels about me getting a $3 cable card and losing the Pace box. I already have HD service.

It will take a little while to get used to the remote. The web site could use some work too. This box is used and I had to kill the previous registration. I'll keep you posted on any progress. Thanks for tips from everyone. It uses 23 watts all the time. There's no harm by placing it in standby, is there? I like a blank front panel. I need to put a sticker on top to remove power before moving like the DHG.

Joe,
See if SE will let you buy the cablecard instead of leasing it. My first cablecard just turned 6 years old in december and my second one turned 3 also in december. I never had a problem with the cards. The first one they gave me for free because I was the first person to use one in our system and the second one I paid 125 dollars for.

I also think if you have the HD triple play package, the box is included in that price so you might be able to keep the box and get the card. The pace box they use is the most current one and it has MPEG4 decoding capabilities and 1GHz tuning. These are the two points to keep in mind as I don't know if the Tivos have MPEG4 decoding and 1 GHz tuning capabilities. If it doesn't then these will become doorstops also.

The one thing they will probably say to you is you won't be able to access their VOD service and also you will lose their guide service. I must have been told this a dozen times about this when I requested the first cablecard. I told them that the tv had TVGOS and they didn't have VOD yet and couldn't give me a set time when it will be available. Turns out they finally started VOD service a little over a year ago.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1304 of 3342 Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Joe,
See if SE will let you buy the cablecard instead of leasing it. My first cablecard just turned 6 years old in december and my second one turned 3 also in december. I never had a problem with the cards. The first one they gave me for free because I was the first person to use one in our system and the second one I paid 125 dollars for.

I also think if you have the HD triple play package, the box is included in that price so you might be able to keep the box and get the card. The pace box they use is the most current one and it has MPEG4 decoding capabilities and 1GHz tuning. These are the two points to keep in mind as I don't know if the Tivos have MPEG4 decoding and 1 GHz tuning capabilities. If it doesn't then these will become doorstops also.

The one thing they will probably say to you is you won't be able to access their VOD service and also you will lose their guide service. I must have been told this a dozen times about this when I requested the first cablecard. I told them that the tv had TVGOS and they didn't have VOD yet and couldn't give me a set time when it will be available. Turns out they finally started VOD service a little over a year ago.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't turned the Pace box on in over a month. I fear they will fight me to get their DVR since it would only cost $3 more a month. They don't specify their box's storage or number of tuners. I might wait until next month since cash flow is tight at the moment. Unemployment doesn't pay that much, and I just got my oil burner serviced. I made the appointment in Sep 2011. And I will be dropping my internet speed down to 3mbs. I never watch movies anyhow.

But I do miss TVGOS for manual recording. I hope with a cable card that problem will go away, but I think it will need a firmware change, so I will live with it. It's not that bad.
post #1305 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Thread Ender

Dumb TiVo remote question:

So I put in the code for my TV, and I can turn the TV On/Off, control TV Volume, and change Inputs. Then I put in the code for my Receiver, and I can control the Receiver Volume. The On/Off and Input buttons still work for the TV. Is the any way (using the TiVo remote) to also be able to control the TV Volume, and to turn the Receiver On/Off?

Sometimes my wife just likes to watch TV and not bother with the Receiver.

They consider THIS
post #1306 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

So I put in the code for my TV, and I can turn the TV On/Off, control TV Volume, and change Inputs. Then I put in the code for my Receiver, and I can control the Receiver Volume. The On/Off and Input buttons still work for the TV. Is the any way (using the TiVo remote) to also be able to control the TV Volume, and to turn the Receiver On/Off?

I don't think so. I've always set up my TiVo remotes to control the receiver volume and also be able to turn the TV on/off. But I don't recall being able to turn the receiver on/off along with the TV.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1307 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Thread Ender

^^^

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that's what I was expecting to hear.. but I was just hoping that I had overlooked something.

They consider THIS
post #1308 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Quote:

^^^

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that's what I was expecting to hear.. but I was just hoping that I had overlooked something.

Consider a Harmony remote for your wife -- the brand name reflects what you get when your wife doesn't have to deal with more than one remote. The Harmony has "Activities" where it will turn on several devices and program the keys to control the relevant devices. I have several "Activities" labeled specifically for my wife with her name on them that do the things she wants -- i.e. turn on the plasma and watch the TiVo without the AVR. The hardest part of using the Harmony was teaching her to keep the remote pointed at the equipment rack until all the codes were sent out.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1309 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM

A lot of people like the Harmony line of remotes, but I'm not one of them. I find it a pain to have to connect to the internet to program them. The 650 I had was kinda flakey in that regard and didn't always register/program correctly.

As far as using it, I was ok with it, the wife wasn't. The 'too many buttons' syndrome, and she was always afraid of hitting the wrong one (which she did a few times and panicked). Oh, and my 650 ate batteries. Maybe I just had a bad one, dunno.

I got a Tivo slide remote and love the size and the backlighting. It's great for basic TV watching, which I find is most of our TV usage.

For more complicated stuff, like movie time (TV/DVD/Receiver), I have a basic universal remote which I operate. This ends up costing less and works best for us.
post #1310 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I've always set up my TiVo remotes to control the receiver volume and also be able to turn the TV on/off. But I don't recall being able to turn the receiver on/off along with the TV.

You can turn (most) receivers on/off with the standard remote however it's tied to the TV Power button so you can't turn one on/off without the other. You simply enter the code you used to program the receiver via the TiVo-Mute combo into the TiVo-TV Pwr combo (it doesn't delete the TV code). Once in a while the code that controls the volume won't work with on/off... such as with Onkyo, (on occasion you can turn it on but not off) and other less popular receivers.
post #1311 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM

OK now for my dumb question. When I am watching a recording and go to My Shows to look at other things, of course the video continues in preview window. How do I switch back the the recording that is playing without reselecting it in My Shows. In other words there is no exit buttion.
post #1312 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM

I think you press "Zoom"

On my Harmony remote, I think I labeled it something more intuitive, like "Window"
post #1313 of 3342 Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM

thanks !
post #1314 of 3342 Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post

OK now for my dumb question. When I am watching a recording and go to My Shows to look at other things, of course the video continues in preview window. How do I switch back the the recording that is playing without reselecting it in My Shows. In other words there is no exit buttion.

Just press the left arrow next to the select button.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #1315 of 3342 Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'm having some connection problems with my Samsung Pn64d7000 pdp and my Tivo premier.It say Weak or no signal check the antenna cable, I did get a signal yesterday but after a few turn on, turn off sequences it worked some how. I'm using a Denon 4311ci for switching, but I thought it might be a Tivo issue as it's always On, and the Samsung is Hdmi-CEC compliant!

Anyone with any clue please let me know, as it's getting a little annoying not seeing TV without jumping through hoops every day.

Djoel
post #1316 of 3342 Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Could it be an HDMI cable issue? It can't hurt to change it out to see.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1317 of 3342 Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 AM

I wonder if the 20.2 update will finally use the dual core features of the Premier processor.
post #1318 of 3342 Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post

I wonder if the 20.2 update will finally use the dual core features of the Premier processor.

Dual core was enabled in the last update.

post #1319 of 3342 Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Woke up at 3 AM and went to the HT room and noticed the TA LED blinking.
5 1 second 1 2 second blink and repeating.
Not having seen that particular TA code before, I finally concluded that the Tivo had acquired the 20.2 build and was re-booting.

Having requested an early roll-out of 20.2 on Monday this seemed reasonable. Upon waking, checked at 7 AM and the TA was again at steady green and sure enough the Tivo upgraded to 20.2.

Interesting ?, perhaps, Useful? probably not.

It's been a while. Still no update. Should I be worried?
post #1320 of 3342 Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been a while. Still no update. Should I be worried?

If you do Twitter, follow @tivodesign for info - tweeted this morning:

tivodesign TiVo Margret Schmidt
Update on the TiVo Premiere update: I think there is a good chance we'll update all by the end of the week. I'll let you when it starts.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page