AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Can you elaborate on this?

You mean copy the contents of the hard drive to an external drive or something?

This Thread should explain it all, you can just Clone the HDD or Upgrade to a 2TB HDD.
I upgraded my original 320GB HDD to a 2TB WD-AVGP WD20EURS. If the HDD ever fails I can use the original HDD to create another Internal HDD.

Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3380 Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

I went with lifetime $500 / $20mo = 25months. Do you plan to use your TiVo more than 25months? Lifetime for additional TiVos is reduced to $400

Plus a TiVo with Lifetime has a resale value where a used TiVo w/o isn't worth much.

The best bet would also be to create a HDD copy so that Lifetime exceeds the life of the original HDD.

Yes, I definitely plan on keeping it more than 2 years. I guess I just needed some reassurance before pulling the trigger. Thanks!
post #1443 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I maybe in the market to buy two Tivos. I would like to buy two at the same time and set them up. But my understanding is that you have to establish your account with one. Then you can buy and set up another. Is this true?

Lake Worth, FL

If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing, anyway.
post #1444 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I bought 3 Premier's in late December and then purchased lifetime for each on the same day in early January.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1445 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

... The best bet would also be to create a HDD copy so that Lifetime exceeds the life of the original HDD.

So are you saying that the TiVo's unique identity is contained on the original hard drive and not in some flash memory on the circuit board?

They consider THIS
post #1446 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

So are you saying that the TiVo's unique identity is contained on the original hard drive and not in some flash memory on the circuit board?

The TiVo's unique identity is contained in a chip on the motherboard, but purely electronic parts tend to be fairly robust. The components that are most likely to fail are those that have moving parts: hard drives and cooling fans. There have also been some problems with power supplies, but you can also replace those (or just the capacitors that are usually the problem).
post #1447 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

I went with lifetime $500 / $20mo = 25months. Do you plan to use your TiVo more than 25months? Lifetime for additional TiVos is reduced to $400. Plus a TiVo with Lifetime has a resale value where a used TiVo w/o isn't worth much.
The best bet would also be to create a HDD copy so that Lifetime exceeds the life of the original HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

The TiVo's unique identity is contained in a chip on the motherboard, but purely electronic parts tend to be fairly robust. The components that are most likely to fail are those that have moving parts: hard drives and cooling fans. There have also been some problems with power supplies, but you can also replace those (or just the capacitors that are usually the problem).

Exactly. But Bryan_CoxPHX's post seems to imply that if the hard drive dies, your Lifetime subscription is kaput (unless you have a backup of the drive). It didn't seem likely to me that that was the case, but I wanted to ask the question to be sure.

They consider THIS
post #1448 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Exactly. But Bryan_CoxPHX's post seems to imply that if the hard drive dies, your Lifetime subscription is kaput (unless you have a backup of the drive). It didn't seem likely to me that that was the case, but I wanted to ask the question to be sure.

Not true. If your unit dies, TiVo will replace it with a refurbished unit for either $50 or $150 depending on the age of the unit and keep your lifetime sub intact.
post #1449 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Thread Ender

If your hard drive dies, can you simply replace it yourself and get back up and running?

They consider THIS
post #1450 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

If your hard drive dies, can you simply replace it yourself and get back up and running?

Well, more or less: If your TiVo's hard drive dies, you can copy an image of the TiVo operating system and other software (from a backup) onto a compatible replacement drive that is the same size or larger, but since their video encryption is tied to the unit's TiVo Service Number, you won't be able to record anything or even view existing recordings unless the backup came from that unit. Once you perform a "Clear & delete everything" menu operation, you'll be able to record again, but existing recordings are lost. If the old hard drive was failing gradually, you may be able to copy (DRM permitting) old recordings off to your computer before replacing the drive. After making sure that the unit is working properly for a while, many people replace their TiVo's hard drive with a larger model (using procedures documented at TiVo Community Forum) and then keep that original drive as a backup.
post #1451 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 85
So they won't let you add storage with an external drive, right?

And do a lot of people buy the lower-end models and swap out the drives instead of buying the models with the higher-capacity drives?
post #1452 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

And do a lot of people buy the lower-end models and swap out the drives instead of buying the models with the higher-capacity drives?

Yes - It's relatively painless to swap drives. Hopefully their pricing will continue to drop back to reality (after the flooding) and for $80 or so you can end up with 2TB of storage. You can add external storage but only approved drives will work last I heard.
post #1453 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
You can add an eSata drive, but it has to be a specific model for the Premieres.

Personally I wouldn't (and don't) bother with externals, I just swap out the original internal drive with a bigger one. This is not uncommon, as David said, and reduces the chance of a drive failure taking away your recordings.
post #1454 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I did a hard drive swap last summer on my Series 3 and it was extremely easy to do following these instructions (http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/#winmfs).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1455 of 3380 Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:

As some here may know, in January I installed three Premier XL's, each with a TiVo Wireless-N adapter. Since completing the installation, I've been working towards improving the "wireless" portion of my home network.

As backgound information, the wireless portion of my existing network was 802.11g and my Cable Modem, Router (not wireless), and Wireless Access Point were located in my upstairs office. The office is located in the "bonus room" over my attached garage, which extends outward from the front of my home in kind of an "L" shape. In other words, the Wireless Access Point was just about as far away from the 3 TiVo's located downstairs in the main part of the home as you could get. Before the TiVo's, we got acceptable wireless performance to other upstairs rooms and the closer rooms downstairs (closer than where the TiVo's are). The TiVo's were getting good enough wireless signal to get the Guide, but Internet viewing and streaming between TiVo's was very iffy.

So in my quest to improve I bought 2 new wireless Routers (NetGear WNDR4000) which have simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz operation, and have bandwidth (theoretical) ratings of up to 300 and 450mbps. I quickly learned that the 5Ghz signal is much more susceptable to being degraded by traveling through walls and such.

I currently have the upstairs WNDR4000 configured to act as the Router, and it also has both transmitters configured and turned "On". Each transmitter on this WNDR4000 has a unique SSID.

I currently have the downstairs WNDR4000 configured to act as a Wireless Access Point only, and it also has both transmitters configured and turned "On". The 2.4Ghz transmitter on this WNDR4000 has an SSID to match the 2.4Ghz SSID on the upstairs unit, and the 5Ghz transmitter on this WNDR4000 has an SSID to match the 5Ghz SSID on the upstairs unit. The channel assignments between upstairs and downstairs are unique and spaced 6 channels apart.

The downstairs WNDR4000 is currently connected to the upstairs WNDR4000 via a long Cat5e cable running through the interior of the house and up the stairs to reach the upstairs WNDR4000. I plan to replace this Cat5e cable in the next few days with MoCA bridges attached to an existing (unused) coax cable that I have easy access to at both the upstairs and downstairs ends near where the WNDR4000's are located.

With this setup I am getting a decent signal strength throughout my house at all the computers and at the TiVo's (3 bars on every TiVo).

But I still don't know if I'm getting the optimum (well, wireless optimum) experience. The WNDR4000's have a WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) button, as do the TiVo adapters. So now the questions . . .

When using the WPS buttons, does the TiVo adapter pick up BOTH the 2.4Ghz AND the 5Ghz confurations, or only one of them?

If only one, how does the TiVo adapter decide WHICH one?

If any wireless "G" devices are on the network at any given time, does the whole wireless system drop to "G" speeds for all attached devices, or will the TiVo's still operate at "N" speeds?

Is there any way to give the TiVo's "names" that will show up on my home network when I look to see "connected devices"? Currently I only see the IP addresses I assigned to the Tivo's. I use fixed IP addresses in my network.. so I can recognize the TiVo's currently only by the addresses I have assigned. If I was using DHCP, I guess I would have to memorize MAC addresses?

I'm sure I have more questions... but I've had such a confusing few days I'm not even sure now what my other questions are...

If anyone is interested (yeah right ) my adventure with TiVo Wireless-N networking is continued over several posts in another thread at the link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21678306

Ultimately (as of this afternoon) it all seems to be working well, so hopefully this is the end of it. Maybe the information in the posts I've linked to will help save others some time when trying to get better performance with TiVo's over a wireless network.

They consider THIS
post #1456 of 3380 Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm thinking about the Premier lines but the monthly and lifetime fees are ridiculous.

If you're paying $16.95 a month in pure rental fees on a DVR from say Comcast, then really after about 2.5 years Lifetime is paid for in a Tivo, and then it's free after.
post #1457 of 3380 Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Plus you can sell the lifetime TiVo in a few years to cover most of the cost of a new box. I sold my S3 boxes and covered over 80% of the cost of my Premiere boxes with lifetime service. When the Elite came out in October last year, I sold two of my lifetime Premieres and that more than covered the cost of my Elite box with lifetime service.(The two Premieres sold for $1k and the Elite cost me around $950 with taxes, 4 year extended warranty, and lifetime service.)

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1458 of 3380 Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Thread Ender

Another (relatively) newbie TiVo question...

With the TiVo remotes having a round bottom, I find that often the remote beside me "rolls" into the side of my hand as push down to get up from the sofa. This has caused an accidental pressing of the rewind "<" button several times while watching live TV. Is there a ONE button solution to get back to live TV? The "Live TV" button of course changes channels on the first press, so you need to press it twice to recover from this.

They consider THIS
post #1459 of 3380 Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
To answer you question pushing the skip button(below the FF key) once will get you back to live TV. Additional information Pushing it a second time will take you to the beginning of your buffer and pushing it a third time will take you back to live.
post #1460 of 3380 Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Thread Ender

^^^

Thanks jjeff. It seems that mine works a little differently however.. maybe due to some setup choice I made back on day one. But your reply helped me to stumble on to something that works pretty good.

If I simply press the "Skip" button, the DVR just skips forward 30 seconds with each press. However if I press the FF button followed by the Skip button, the DVR jumps forward in 15 minute increments with each press of the Skip button. It seems that the Rewind button followed by the "Skip Back" button does the same thing in reverse. Either way these are good things to know, and are an acceptable solution to the problem I had.

They consider THIS
post #1461 of 3380 Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
^^^I thought of that after I typed my response. Yes that skip button can be configured to skip the whole way or just 30 seconds. I believe default is the whole way, which is how mine is setup. Even though mine is setup that way, mine acts like yours when visually scanning a recording, it jumps forward or backward 15 minutes at a time. I use this trick occasionally for very long recordings where for example I want to go ahead a couple of hours without having to watch 2hrs visually.
post #1462 of 3380 Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM

TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Black)

In stock

$49.95

http://www.electronics-expo.com/tivo...127sSR16ABtU7Q
post #1463 of 3380 Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexamus View Post

TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Black)

In stock

$49.95

http://www.electronics-expo.com/tivo...127sSR16ABtU7Q

If you call them, you can also get the Elite for $399.00 (plus shipping). When I called today, Rich told me they had six units in stock.

I have owned two TiVo HD's for about 2-1/2 years now and plan to upgrade to the Premiere. My one question is whether the HD GUI will be functional over my Earthlink 3.0Mbps DSL network. I have both of my current TiVo's hard-wired into my router and they work like a charm, but I understand that the Premieres might be balky on anything slower than about 6.0Mbps. If this is a major issue (and I tend to be impatient with slow processing), I plan to stick to the SD GUI.

Can anyone enlightened me on this count?
post #1464 of 3380 Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

If you call them, you can also get the Elite for $399.00 (plus shipping). When I called today, Rich told me they had six units in stock.

I have owned two TiVo HD's for about 2-1/2 years now and plan to upgrade to the Premiere. My one question is whether the HD GUI will be functional over my Earthlink 3.0Mbps DSL network. I have both of my current TiVo's hard-wired into my router and they work like a charm, but I understand that the Premieres might be balky on anything slower than about 6.0Mbps. If this is a major issue (and I tend to be impatient with slow processing), I plan to stick to the SD GUI.

Can anyone enlightened me on this count?

I have no issue on the Premiere I take with me to my Girlfriends house. She has a 1.25mb/s DSL line and the HDUI works fine with it.

LED DLP
post #1465 of 3380 Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have no issue on the Premiere I take with me to my Girlfriends house. She has a 1.25mb/s DSL line and the HDUI works fine with it.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

At least one TiVo CSR has insisted to me that I would have issues. I love TiVo, but most of their CSR's are not too reliable when it comes to technological matters.
post #1466 of 3380 Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

The Elite is also available from Tivo for that price, there was a recent Tivo ad on my HDs offering it for $399 now. Free shipping, but you'll pay tax. Also eligible for the MSD sub prices, which are $399 lifetime and $14.95 monthly. Looks like the Elite just got a price drop, but it may be temporary.
post #1467 of 3380 Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The Elite is also available from Tivo for that price, there was a recent Tivo ad on my HDs offering it for $399 now. Free shipping, but you'll pay tax. Also eligible for the MSD sub prices, which are $399 lifetime and $14.95 monthly. Looks like the Elite just got a price drop, but it may be temporary.

You're right about the above, BUT none of the TiVo sales reps I've spoken to over the past few days have been able to offer better than $80 for the Premiere. Add the sales tax (8% here in GA), and the direct-from-TiVo price for the two units (Premiere + Elite) is not competitive with Electronics-Expo's, even after adding the latter's $19 shipping charge for the two DVR's ( total cost of $517 vs. $468).
post #1468 of 3380 Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's not common, but i think that was the second time in the past month that I've noticed the issue come up. I was watching some Netflix streaming when this happened and had to use my Roku2 instead which is several notches down in quality with the content I was watching since I can't send it through my Algolith Flea to clean up like I can with my TiVos.

LED DLP
post #1469 of 3380 Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Since I have only had a TiVo for 3 weeks, is it common for TiVo service to go down? It was back up and functioning fine this morning. I should also note that access to my account through my Iphone app was unavailable at the same time and was indeed back up this morning.

When I get that message it typically meant that my local internet connection was down.

As for Iphone app how were you accessing it. Was it via your local wifi or the phones network?
post #1470 of 3380 Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 606
My Premiere was also running slow last night, and eventually got the yellow exclamation point at the top.

Must have been something on TiVo's end.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page