post #1531 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You speak as though the cheaper = better equation was a recent invention. Manufacturers always look for cost-cutting measures that customers will tolerate, and the situation is simply that most people don't need both antenna and cable inputs, so TV sets with only one RF connection have sold well. Cable generally provides both local and specialty channels, so the average cable customer has no reason to connect an antenna. The reasons for using both sources that are relatively common around here, like OTA's superior HD on local channels, aren't the kind of reasons that would spur average viewers to deal with using multiple content sources.

The "average cable customer" is happy with the 250 to 320Gb offering in the DVR that the CableCo's give them. The average AVS user wants 1 or 2Tb. I guess I'm an above average AVS user because I want two RF inputs.

Not everything should be built for the lowest common denominator.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The "average cable customer" isn't aware that often OTA antenna is a better choice for local/regional channels, only to be supplemented by the specialty channels that cable provides, along with internet. I like the way TiVo nicely integrates both antenna and cable in one box without the use of an A/B switch, or additional HDMI tuner connections.
post #1533 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Not everything should be built for the lowest common denominator.

I'm not defending the practice, but it is unrealistic to expect hardware manufacturers not to cut corners to save a little money. They will omit features that the majority of their customers don't demand to increase their profit margins. Welcome to capitalism.
post #1534 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I disagree with your argument. First, when I select "TUNER" on my AVR, I receive FM HD/RDDS from an external radio. When I select "CD" I get the output from my Blu-ray with serious DSP applied. When I select "BR/DVD" I get the same source (BR) but with no DSP. I never need to swap cables yet one button enables different signals with different processing.

So? When I press BD on my TV's remote (what is BR?) I get my Blu-ray player. If I press DVR, I get the DVR. If I press VCR, I get the VCR. No wire switching. Same as my AVR. I fail to see your point.
post #1535 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh???

No one is asking for two seperate Antenna inputs, but simply one Antenna input and one Cable input. The fact that they both happen to be RF is irrelevent. That is what the Tivo Premier has now, and hopefully will always have. That is what most all TV's had up until the past few years, when all of a sudden "cheaper" became "better".

I bet the new "Elite" has no "antenna" input. Neither of my 7-year old Sony Bravia TVs have dual coaxial inputs. I challenge your statement that "most all TV's had up until the past few years" had dual coaxial inputs.

The TiVo Premiere can use both inputs at the same time. A TV cannot (unless it has two displays.) Most people only care to use a single coaxial input. Those that feel the need to have two can pay the expense to do so. I, for one, would not appreciate paying the extra $$ that dual inputs and circuitry require.
post #1536 of 3333 Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "average cable customer" is happy with the 250 to 320Gb offering in the DVR that the CableCo's give them. The average AVS user wants 1 or 2Tb. I guess I'm an above average AVS user because I want two RF inputs.

Then buy a TV with both inputs.
post #1537 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

I'm not defending the practice, but it is unrealistic to expect hardware manufacturers not to cut corners to save a little money. They will omit features that the majority of their customers don't demand to increase their profit margins. Welcome to capitalism.

Wow. Should we watch for the eSata port to disappear as well? I doubt that Joe Sixpack uses it, or even knows what it is.

They consider THIS
post #1538 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Only Joe Six Pack would use the eSATA port on a TiVo. Those that know better would just upgrade the internal HDD to 2TB.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1539 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Only Joe Six Pack would use the eSATA port on a TiVo. Those that know better would just upgrade the internal HDD to 2TB.

Not true. I know better yet I chose to go the eSATA route rather than open the case and void my warranty. 3+ yr later and both internal and external drives are chugging along flawlessly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1540 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Not true. I know better yet I chose to go the eSATA route rather than open the case and void my warranty. 3+ yr later and both internal and external drives are chugging along flawlessly.

Agreed. Using a 1TB eSATA and no problems. Voiding the warranty to gain only 1/2 TB, plus the extreme ease of adding an external HD made this the obvious choice for me.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #1541 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Then buy a TV with both inputs.

In my bedroom there is a Sharp LCD-37D5U, circa 2004, with three RF inputs.
One for OTA ATSC and two for cable (analog and digital), seamlessly integrated on the remote to switch among those.
Also one HDMI, two Component and one composite, all in use.
It is a basic 720p TV but has TVGOS which is not enabled.

OTOH my LG 55LH90 in my HT only has the one RF input connected to an antenna although never used since the Tivo Premiere is used for OTA and cable connected to an iScan Duo along with 7 other HDMI sources including one S-Video one Composite and one Component.
A Sony HDD250 and Silicon Dust HDHomerun provide additional recording capacity.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #1542 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should we watch for the eSata port to disappear as well? I doubt that Joe Sixpack uses it, or even knows what it is.

Adding extra capacity to a TiVo is perhaps the most common user modification for the device, so it's unlikely that the capability for external storage would be removed.
post #1543 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Adding extra capacity to a TiVo is perhaps the most common user modification for the device . . .

And you know this how?

This whole discussion was started because of the stoopid survey TiVo sent me by email last week, which didn't allow me to give a complete assessment of how I use the three Premier XL's I have. How can they know what the most common usage is if they don't ask the right questions? Maybe I'm the only one in the forum that cares to use OTA in combination with Cable. If so, that's fine. But I would hope that TiVo might like to know that the reason I didn't buy three Elites is because they don't support OTA. And if the Premier didn't have two RF inputs I probably wouldn't have bought them either. Sure, I'm only one meatball who thinks OTA is important. But I'm also one meatball that bought three of their machines . . .

They consider THIS
post #1544 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And you know this how?

I did say "perhaps". Besides, what other modifications can a TiVo user make to the system other than increasing the storage capacity, due to the system's hardware restrictions? Since storage capacity is a significant component of a DVR's functionality and eSATA provides a way for TiVo owners to increase their unit's storage capacity without voiding their warranties, it seems unlikely that TiVo would remove that functionality. It would likely inconvenience far more users than removing the dual RF inputs, which TiVo has apparently already done in their latest models.
post #1545 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

And you know this how?

This whole discussion was started because of the stoopid survey TiVo sent me by email last week, which didn't allow me to give a complete assessment of how I use the three Premier XL's I have. How can they know what the most common usage is if they don't ask the right questions? Maybe I'm the only one in the forum that cares to use OTA in combination with Cable. If so, that's fine. But I would hope that TiVo might like to know that the reason I didn't buy three Elites is because they don't support OTA. And if the Premier didn't have two RF inputs I probably wouldn't have bought them either. Sure, I'm only one meatball who thinks OTA is important. But I'm also one meatball that bought three of their machines . . .

TiVo knows exactly how many boxes are connected to OTA and/or cable. Just like they knwo how often you fast forward or skip. and whether the hard drive a higher capacity..

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1546 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

TiVo knows exactly how many boxes are connected to OTA and/or cable. Just like they knwo how often you fast forward or skip. and whether the hard drive a higher capacity..

I guess I don't understand then... why do they bother asking me "How do you receive your programming: Cable, Satellite, Fios, or OTA" if they already know the answer? Just to P me off?

They consider THIS
post #1547 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I guess I don't understand then... why do they bother asking me "How do you receive your programming: Cable, Satellite, Fios, or OTA" if they already know the answer? Just to P me off?

Most surveys also ask the same question multiple times, just worded differently.

LED DLP

post #1548 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm thinking about buying an Elite. Do I need to be worried about my cable company, Charter, using SDV?

BTW, is this the appropriate thread to talk about the Elite or is their another "official" Elite thread?
post #1549 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

If we are to believe TiVo - they have this information, but it's anonymous. So they don't know who receives cable, OTA, etc.... they just know how many.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1550 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I suspect it was asked innocently, but pushed some sort of button on you. If I can suggest this in a kindly manner, you've been a little over the top on the topic. We all have topics that turn us a little rabid (mine is the removal of s-video output), so I don't mean my comment to be critical.

My take on the question is that you need to tell them that OTA is how you receive your programming. Otherwise how will they know that it is important to you? 99% of the people are going to answer something other than OTA.
post #1551 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

My take on the question is that you need to tell them that OTA is how you receive your programming. Otherwise how will they know that it is important to you? 99% of the people are going to answer something other than OTA.

99% seems a bit high. Or should I say I would be surprised if only 1% are OTA users.

Where have I heard these numbers before? [joke]
post #1552 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I suspect it was asked innocently, but pushed some sort of button on you. If I can suggest this in a kindly manner, you've been a little over the top on the topic. We all have topics that turn us a little rabid (mine is the removal of s-video output), so I don't mean my comment to be critical.

Yes, you're right. The manner in which the question was asked in the TiVo survey did push some of the wrong buttons. And I did consider just answering "OTA". But that would be incomplete, since the correct answer is "Both". "Both" implies that dual RF inputs are required, and also says "Please don't travel down the path of the TV manufacturers in recent years".

The other thing that pushes my buttons is the attitude of several members of this forum. That being "Most people don't require this capability, so neither should you". I understand that not everyone cares that OTA image quality is superior. And not everyone lives where there are hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, falling trees, tornados, or earthquakes that can put out cable service for weeks at a time. Not to mention the times when "who knows why it's out".

They consider THIS
post #1553 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

Agreed. Using a 1TB eSATA and no problems. Voiding the warranty to gain only 1/2 TB, plus the extreme ease of adding an external HD made this the obvious choice for me.

Must additional (external) storage be purchased exclusively from Tivo? Or can I use my own drive and connect it to the eSata port? Thanks in advance
post #1554 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

I'm thinking about buying an Elite. Do I need to be worried about my cable company, Charter, using SDV?

BTW, is this the appropriate thread to talk about the Elite or is their another "official" Elite thread?

You're fine discussing the Elite here, The Elite is also a Series 4 TiVo. The other Elite thread does not have much action. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366539

SDV should not be an issue, The Cisco Tuning Adapter has worked very well for me. Although, I did get one that was defective, and demanded a new one still in plastic wrap.

I myself am waiting to purchase an Elite until after the next SW update coming this spring (late April/May). Currently there are just too many reports of issues with the Elite, rebooting, loss of channels, recordings not occurring. Hopefully a SW update will fix the reported bugs.
Start following the TiVo Forums: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

I am also waiting to see what the new TiVo streaming IP-STB will offer for Whole Home.

My experience with the Premiere w/ my 2TB HDD upgrade has been almost flawless. I can highly recommend the old Base Premiere 320GB -TCD746320, which you can get for as low as $50 plus $500 lifetime service or $14.99/mo

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1555 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Must additional (external) storage be purchased exclusively from Tivo? Or can I use my own drive and connect it to the eSata port? Thanks in advance

Doesn't have to be purchased from TiVo but MUST be the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB. It is the only one that the TiVo will allow to be connected.

Good luck finding one...
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B003MVZ60S/

post #1556 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Western Digital My Book 1TB AV DVR Expander is easy to find. It's just hard to find one at a decent price.

LED DLP

post #1557 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Doesn't have to be purchased from TiVo but MUST be the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB. It is the only one that the TiVo will allow to be connected.

Good luck finding one...
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B003MVZ60S/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Western Digital My Book 1TB AV DVR Expander is easy to find. It's just hard to find one at a decent price.

Cool, thanks for the info and the link
post #1558 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other thing that pushes my buttons is the attitude of several members of this forum. That being "Most people don't require this capability, so neither should you".

For my part, I never said that. My point was merely that it is reasonable to expect hardware vendors to remove features that the majority of their customers do not demand in an effort to reduce manufacturing costs.
post #1559 of 3333 Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I understand that not everyone cares that OTA image quality is superior.

I prefer the word "better".
post #1560 of 3333 Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I prefer the word "better".

How about "better for now"?
Reply HDTV Recorders