post #1591 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Refurbished TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR for $44.95
http://www.woot.com/

Woot has refurbished 45 hour, 320GB Model TiVo Premieres for $44.95 + $5.00 shipping, Today only while supplies last.

TiVo Subscription Options:
Option 1 – $14.99 per month standard service on first box – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $12.99/month

Option 2 – $499.99 product lifetime service – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $399.99/lifetime

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

http://www.woot.com/

Woot has refurbished 45 hour, 320GB Model TiVo Premieres for $44.95 + $5.00 shipping, Today only while supplies last.

TiVo Subscription Options:
Option 1 - $14.99 per month standard service on first box - if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $12.99/month

Option 2 - $499.99 product lifetime service - if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $399.99/lifetime

That sounds like a good deal. However, I got my brand new Premiere in Feb from Electronics Expo for $50.00 (plus about $9 shipping)--an even better deal IMO. I recommend anyone interested in the Woot deal call EE first and ask the CSR for their best AVS Forum discounted price on any of the Premieres they have in stock.
post #1593 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Tivo Desktop only works with stations that are not copy protected. For me that is basically just the local networks.

You are not wrong. TiVo Desktop works only for stuff flagged Copy-Freely.
post #1594 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
And just to forestall any questions (because we get this question often on the pyTivo forum and on TCF, from people who just don't think it through), alternative software won't help -- the copy prohibition is enforced on the TiVo side, not in Desktop.

57 channels and nothing on
post #1595 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm sure this is a lame question, but here goes. Been thinking of getting an XL4 as soon as I see the apparent bugs with cable cards/tuning adapters are worked out. But, I note that it says the the unit cannot tune analog signals. Is this what I think it means? Right now most all my basic and extended basic channels are analog- I think. I must be missing something since aren't most cable systems still like this?
post #1596 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

I'm sure this is a lame question, but here goes. Been thinking of getting an XL4 as soon as I see the apparent bugs with cable cards/tuning adapters are worked out. But, I note that it says the the unit cannot tune analog signals. Is this what I think it means? Right now most all my basic and extended basic channels are analog- I think. I must be missing something since aren't most cable systems still like this?

Depends on where you are. My local TWC does a digital simulcast of all the analog stations. You should confirm this is the case with your local cableco.

-Ted
post #1597 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Depends on where you are. My local TWC does a digital simulcast of all the analog stations. You should confirm this is the case with your local cableco.

-Ted

Or find out which STBs/DVRs are used on your system. If any of them have digital only tuners, then they have a digital simulcast of the analog tier(s).
post #1598 of 3362 Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tune to the channels you think might be Analog and then go into the Diagnostic Menu of your 8300HD and look at the RF Parameters tuner specs, if it is Analog it will say Analog, if it is Digital it will have a signal level in dBmV

Most likely even if you find a few Analog channels there most likely will be a Digital equivalent. All HD channels will be Digital. In my example below Channel 94 (PBS KAET) has two Digital equivalents, Channel 8 (PBS KAET SD) and Channel 1008 (PBS KAET HD). Analog Channel 94 is used by Cox just for distribution of the Analog TVGOS data for NTSC tuners.

This is how an Analog channel is displayed in SARA on the 8300HD

This is the Digital Equivalent of KAET SD on channel 8

LL
LL

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1599 of 3362 Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Total TiVo Premieres sold: 1646
One every 52.476 seconds avg
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4988325

post #1600 of 3362 Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

Total TiVo Premieres sold: 1646
One every 52.476 seconds avg
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4988325

It was a good deal to get a spare TiVo to be used for parts. I paid $50 a few months ago for a used one to have for spare parts. Although I probably won't need it anymore since I have two Elites now and will be selling two out of my three, two tuner boxes since the IP TiVo boxes will be out later this year. So that spare box will only need to be used for my last two tuner Premiere. And I really only keep it around because it is still on the old $6.95 a month subscription from years ago, so it's not worth anything trying to sell it. Not like my other boxes which all have lifetime service.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1601 of 3362 Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

As always, thanks, Bryan. Yeah, checking the diagnostics, the few non-HD channels that I watch are digital.
[quote=Bryan_CoxPHX;21989973]Tune to the channels you think might be Analog and then go into the Diagnostic Menu of your 8300HD and look at the RF Parameters tuner specs, if it is Analog it will say Analog, if it is Digital it will have a signal level in dBmV

Most likely even if you find a few Analog channels there most likely will be a Digital equivalent. All HD channels will be Digital. In my example below Channel 94 (PBS KAET) has two Digital equivalents, Channel 8 (PBS KAET SD) and Channel 1008 (PBS KAET HD). Analog Channel 94 is used by Cox just for distribution of the Analog TVGOS data for NTSC tuners.
post #1602 of 3362 Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As always, thanks, Bryan. Yeah, checking the diagnostics, the few non-HD channels that I watch are digital.

Did you find any Analog channels? and did they also have a Digital equivalent?

post #1603 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
The TiVo Premiere protects all new recordings from deletion for 72 hours, but does a much better job of reporting when the DVR will delete older recordings. It no longer labels every recording as may be deleted simply because it is 48 or 72 hours old. Instead, it calculates the disk space requirements for scheduled recordings to report what recordings the DVR will delete and when. It only flags recordings as will be deleted when recording space runs low, or when an upcoming episode will replace an older one, per the user's own series setting for keep last X episodes.

My Premier is deleting new recordings as soon as they are done, to make room for future recordings, even though the deleted recordings wouldn't even push my HD past 80%. Is this normal? I'm losing recordings, even though i have plenty of space (well, plenty being a relative word). Last night, it deleted the 2-hour finale of Amazing Race and The Simpsons, and my HD was only at 68%. Is there anything i can do to stop this?
post #1604 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobapett View Post

The TiVo Premiere protects all new recordings from deletion for 72 hours, but does a much better job of reporting when the DVR will delete older recordings. It no longer labels every recording as “may be deleted” simply because it is 48 or 72 hours old. Instead, it calculates the disk space requirements for scheduled recordings to report what recordings the DVR will delete and when. It only flags recordings as “will be deleted” when recording space runs low, or when an upcoming episode will replace an older one, per the user’s own series setting for “keep last X episodes.”

My Premier is deleting new recordings as soon as they are done, to make room for future recordings, even though the deleted recordings wouldn't even push my HD past 80%. Is this normal? I'm losing recordings, even though i have plenty of space (well, plenty being a relative word). Last night, it deleted the 2-hour finale of Amazing Race and The Simpsons, and my HD was only at 68%. Is there anything i can do to stop this?

Do you have a lot of things set for "Keep Until I Delete"? That is a typical symptom of too many things set for KUID. Since it has to calculate the space it needs in advance and will delete things sooner because of it. KUID should be used very sparingly. It's rarely if ever needed.

LED DLP

post #1605 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Do you have a lot of things set for "Keep Until I Delete"? That is a typical symptom of too many things set for KUID. Since it has to calculate the space it needs in advance and will delete things sooner because of it. KUID should be used very sparingly. It's rarely if ever needed.

Yes, i do have alot set to KUID. I have some shows with over 10 episodes saved, and others with over 5. I guess i'll have to look at my settings for all my season passes, and make changes.

Thanks!
post #1606 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

When the "space used" percent is displayed, does that include deleted items? I appreciate the tip on KUID.

How much should I trust the "To Do" list? I have a Season Pass on Eureka and it was there with two check marks Friday. Saturday I saw a "new" on the 8pm episode, so I set my Premier to record it. About an hour ago I happened to check the "To Do" list and tonight's episodes were both gone. Plus the 8pm issue was not marked "new". I check the Season Pass Manager and still indicated the 9pm episode was there, but there were 22 more episodes.

Is it a known problem or just Cosmic Rays?
post #1607 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quickely scanned through channels, couldn't find an analog.

Quote:

Did you find any Analog channels? and did they also have a Digital equivalent?

post #1608 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quickely scanned through channels, couldn't find an analog.

Do you have another device to get a second opinion? It's true that many cable feeds have gone all digital, but they usually offer one or two DTA boxes for free. I only have 26 vsb/NTSC/analog channels left and they are mostly local or unpopular. Yet only 8 miles away there are 70 analog channels. Same cable company - different office.
post #1609 of 3362 Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, they are there allright. The STB just doesn't have any. Running bare cable to a device will yield roughly 2-99 worth of analog signals. My original post simply expressed my concern that some channels were ONLY in analog and wouldn't be able to be picked up on a TIVO XL4. That concern has proven to be unwarranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Do you have another device to get a second opinion? It's true that many cable feeds have gone all digital, but they usually offer one or two DTA boxes for free. I only have 26 vsb/NTSC/analog channels left and they are mostly local or unpopular. Yet only 8 miles away there are 70 analog channels. Same cable company - different office.

post #1610 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

When the "space used" percent is displayed, does that include deleted items? I appreciate the tip on KUID.

How much should I trust the "To Do" list? I have a Season Pass on Eureka and it was there with two check marks Friday. Saturday I saw a "new" on the 8pm episode, so I set my Premier to record it. About an hour ago I happened to check the "To Do" list and tonight's episodes were both gone. Plus the 8pm issue was not marked "new". I check the Season Pass Manager and still indicated the 9pm episode was there, but there were 22 more episodes.

Is it a known problem or just Cosmic Rays?

It's a known problem with Discovery et al putting placeholders in the listings with generic episode descriptions, all of them flagged as new. Generally these get updated with the correct ep info before Tivo would record them, and then they don't get recorded because they're actually repeats.

For example, right now I have a ton of Mythbusters showing to record during the day because the guide has generic descriptions for the eps - I know these aren't new but Tivo doesn't, but these will all go away in the ToDo (usually) before they actually record because the ep info will get updated with the correct descriptions.
post #1611 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's a known problem with Discovery et al putting placeholders in the listings with generic episode descriptions, all of them flagged as new. Generally these get updated with the correct ep info before Tivo would record them, and then they don't get recorded because they're actually repeats.

For example, right now I have a ton of Mythbusters showing to record during the day because the guide has generic descriptions for the eps - I know these aren't new but Tivo doesn't, but these will all go away in the ToDo (usually) before they actually record because the ep info will get updated with the correct descriptions.

Thanks. This was the first time I have seen a problem. It's also the first time a season pass show had a one time show added with the same name.

I think, perhaps, that having a season pass on a show and it is set for "new" only may have been confused since the show will be repeated next week. I see that the guide has it set to record next week. Mixing "one time" and "season pass" for the same show might be a bad idea.
post #1612 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Question for you guys... I've had my Tivo Premiere for about 8 months now and have used it as a tuner for my projector without having a subscription. Previously, I was able to scan for and tune clear QAM channels without any issues. About 2 weeks ago I attempted to do the guided setup again to add OTA channels, but now it appears Tivo no longer scans cable channels but uses a predetermined list of channels. Have you guys experienced this? Is there any way around it, or a way to manually add clear QAM channels?

I did a search, but didn't find much (if anything). TIA
post #1613 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When the "space used" percent is displayed, does that include deleted items? ...............................................

The space used does not include deleted items. When you delete a large program you will see the percentage decrease. And if you recover that program then you will see the percentage increase again.

LED DLP

post #1614 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:

OK - I've adjusted most of my season passes to "until space is needed". Will the Tivo now let the HD fill past 80%? Will it let it get into the 90's?
post #1615 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobapett View Post

OK - I've adjusted most of my season passes to "until space is needed". Will the Tivo now let the HD fill past 80%? Will it let it get into the 90's?

It should. I can get mine to 100%(When I get a new TiVo I always fill up the hard drive to make sure there are no issues while I'm still within the return period). Although my Elites are typically between 75% and 85% full.

LED DLP

post #1616 of 3362 Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

It should. I can get mine to 100%(When I get a new TiVo I always fill up the hard drive to make sure there are no issues while I'm still within the return period). Although my Elites are typically between 75% and 85% full.

Great - thanks! We'll see what happens...
post #1617 of 3362 Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

At 02:20 EDT my unit did a reboot. Nothing was being recorded, nothing was being played. I was just using it as a STB. Should I be concerned?
post #1618 of 3362 Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

At 02:20 EDT my unit did a reboot. Nothing was being recorded, nothing was being played. I was just using it as a STB. Should I be concerned?

2am is sometimes when it updates software, which requires a reboot. Only be concerned if it happens frequently.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1619 of 3362 Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:

I also agree it was most likely the spring update of the software. The Tivo's tend to do their automatic reboots around 2am as they believe thats the most likely period of not taping.
post #1620 of 3362 Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg0449 View Post

I also agree it was most likely the spring update of the software. The Tivo's tend to do their automatic reboots around 2am as they believe thats the most likely period of not taping.

I checked the main firmware and there is no change. I don't track the other versions. There have been no problems, but I seldom watch TV at 2am either.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page