5Likes

post #1621 of 3380 Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I checked the main firmware and there is no change. I don't track the other versions. There have been no problems, but I seldom watch TV at 2am either.

The firmware only changed from 20.2-01 to 20.2.1.1-01
Might have updated and not noticed such a small change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3380 Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post

I'm still at 20.2.01-2-746 like since March. But it's not a big thing since everything still works fine. As for the time, my 2am is 11pm PDT where (if I still lived there) I would be recording. I guess they know my zipcode. I wonder what else they know.
post #1623 of 3380 Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

...As for the time, my 2am is 11pm PDT where (if I still lived there) I would be recording. I guess they know my zipcode. I wonder what else they know.

It should be 2am local time, i.e. the time indicated on your TiVo.
post #1624 of 3380 Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Tivo Desktop only works with stations that are not copy protected. For me that is basically just the local networks.

Maybe it's just a fluke with my Tivo and cable provider but I have had no problem at all transferring anything to my HDD via Tivo Desktop. That includes the newest movies on HBO and Showtime. I now use the ReadyShare feature on my Netgear router. I have a 3tb Seagate and a 2tb Verbatim external drive connected to the USB port on the router through a USB hub. Tivo Desktop transfers content to one of those drives (albeit very slowly).

Tivo files are in the .tivo format. Years ago, I had to convert them to avi or mpg but now I watch recordings with the .tivo file extension on Windows Media Player and other players using just the basic included codecs. My favorite is the smplayer (mplayer) which has lots of extra viewing features. OR, since my home network is now a viewing choice on my Tivo along with Amazon, Hulu and Netflix, I can watch them on the Tivo without having to transfer them back to the Tivo HDD.

I have a new WD 1tb My Book Expander for Tivo, but after it arrived I found out how to configure my ReadyShare network drives. I never even unsealed the WD packaging. I no longer need it for expansion for the Tivo, so I guess I'll just sell it on eBay for what it cost me.
post #1625 of 3380 Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 817
On FiOS here, nothing is copy protected, except a couple of test channels. SO everything can be transferred to TiVo Desktop. Although I haven't used it in a month or two now. I haven't turned my PC on in awhile that I have dedicated to TiVo Desktop. That's something I need to do this weekend.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1626 of 3380 Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post

Just got the spring update. Supposedly changes the Netflix player. Can't wait to test..
post #1627 of 3380 Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

Just got the spring update. Supposedly changes the Netflix player. Can't wait to test..

So how was your test? What did you think of the new netflix app on the TiVo premieres?

LED DLP
post #1628 of 3380 Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So how was your test? What did you think of the new netflix app on the TiVo premieres?

I recently got the update and while the new netflix and youtube apps are better than they were, they are still not that great.   The netflix app specifically seems to have far more trouble than any other in my home keeping streams steady at best quality. It regularly bounces up and down in quality requiring an HDMI resync (loss of picture) each time.  The lag between button press and system response is also pretty terrible.  I've gone back to my PS3 for netflix streaming.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #1629 of 3380 Old 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven View Post

I recently got the update and while the new netflix and youtube apps are better than they were, they are still not that great.   The netflix app specifically seems to have far more trouble than any other in my home keeping streams steady at best quality. It regularly bounces up and down in quality requiring an HDMI resync (loss of picture) each time.  The lag between button press and system response is also pretty terrible.  I've gone back to my PS3 for netflix streaming.
the lag is supposed to be from the delay in controlling the streaming content from the server. Like with the cable companies and their VOD.

LED DLP
post #1630 of 3380 Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I find NetFlix greatly (hugely) better than before. I've got a fast, steady Internet connection, which may be the reason my videos play so well. I compared it to the video quality I get from my PS3 and it seems identical. I also really like the fact that you can now search for videos to stream. I used to use my Ps3 for playing Blu-Rays and Netflix. I recently bought a better Blu-Ray player and after this update to my Tivo I have stopped using my PS3 for everything and will probably retire it.
post #1631 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 AM

I saw this come up yesterday for 45 dollars. I have been looking for a device to display over the air HDTV on my projector for sports games and things like that. I'd like to have all of the functions it offers, but I don't really want to pay 15 dollars a month for it. Anyway, my projector has HDMI and Red/Blue/Green component inputs for video, but I use a home theater style setup for sound since the projector doesn't have any. Will this box work for that purpose without a subscription fee? I haven't found much else for 45 dollars that will do a similar job. What I really want is a media center PC, but it's not in the budget right now.
post #1632 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post

Will this box work for that purpose without a subscription fee? I haven't found much else for 45 dollars that will do a similar job

The tivo units will not work without a subscription of either monthly or lifetime. That is why they can be so cheap at times because they know they will be getting subscription fees.
post #1633 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM

From what I read in this thread, the only functionality it has without a subscription is the ability to watch over the air high def. You are saying it cannot do this without a subscription, and that it is ultimately a brick without a sub?
post #1634 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

From what I read in this thread, the only functionality it has without a subscription is the ability to watch over the air high def. You are saying it cannot do this without a subscription, and that it is ultimately a brick without a sub?

I believe you lose the buffer (can't RW or FF) and you will get annoying popups without a subscription. You definitely can't use it as a regular OTA tuner without a subscription. And certainly you can't setup season passes.
post #1635 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be a good summary.

It also needs internet access. Wireless or phone access is possible for extra money.
post #1636 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:

These are copied from tivo's website:

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoservicepaymentplanstermsandconditions.html
Without a subscription to the TiVo service, your TiVo DVR will not work! Please see Section 7 of the TiVo Service Agreement.

7. Your TiVo DVR Won't Work Without the TiVo Service! A subscription to the TiVo service is required in order for your TiVo DVR to have any functionality. No functionality is represented or should be expected from the TiVo DVR without a paid subscription to the TiVo service.
post #1637 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Welp, looks like I'll be going elsewhere. The cost of a subscription can really add up when you think about it. A net top can cost around 200 dollars... close to what a year of TiVo would cost you, so I think I'm out. Thanks for the info, I will probably just buy a cheap PC to use as a media center then.
post #1638 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
It's not a brick and will pull in all the channels you can get with a Cablecard or via OTA. There are no popups, just a channel banner saying you don't have service when you change channels. Can be easily dismissed with a right arrow press.

Works great as a live TV substitute for a cable box or OTA receiver, in other words, and it can be a lot cheaper than renting a box for some cableCos. It doesn't need internet service for this, it just won't work as a DVR or provide program guide data.

So much misinformation here. *sigh*
post #1639 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's not a brick and will pull in all the channels you can get with a Cablecard or via OTA. There are no popups, just a channel banner saying you don't have service when you change channels. Can be easily dismissed with a right arrow press.
Works great as a live TV substitute for a cable box or OTA receiver, in other words, and it can be a lot cheaper than renting a box for some cableCos. It doesn't need internet service for this, it just won't work as a DVR or provide program guide data.
So much misinformation here. *sigh*

Are you referring to a Premiere or an older model? AFAIK, TiVo made some changes in the 20.x software that made it even more cumbersome to use without a subscription.
post #1640 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not get a used HD tuner from eBay? [for right now]
post #1641 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am fairly new to TiVo, with a Premiere unit. One thing I cannot figure out. If I am watching a recording, and I press the TiVo button to see My TiVo, the recording still keeps playing in the small screen in the upper right corner, as it should. But what I cannot figure out is how to exit the TiVo screen and get the recording to play full screen again? Right now, I have been using the "Live TV" button to go back to live TV, then hit the TiVo button to get to My TiVo and then restart the recording. But there must be a better way. Any help is appreciated.

Greg
post #1642 of 3380 Old 06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbuchanan View Post

But what I cannot figure out is how to exit the TiVo screen and get the recording to play full screen again?

IIRC, it's the "zoom" button.
post #1643 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Are you referring to a Premiere or an older model? AFAIK, TiVo made some changes in the 20.x software that made it even more cumbersome to use without a subscription.

It's a Premiere, and I'm using one without a sub now. All they did was disable pause/ff/rew on the live TV buffer, none of which you need.
post #1644 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Why not get a used HD tuner from eBay? [for right now]

Agreed, if all he needs is an OTA tuner the Tivo is not a good choice. As a Cablecard tuner it's a great choice for a cheap STB.
post #1645 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM

I have a question about getting 1080p through my TiVo premiere and avr-100

Should I allow the tivo to do the upscaling or would it be better to let the amp do it? Sometimes the video seems slightly choppy/jittery but sometimes it's ok. I don't know if this is because I'm letting the TiVo upscale the image from my cablecard ? I have the upscale turned on on the Amp as well but assumed since the TiVo was upscaling it wouldn't matter since the amp is already getting a 1080p signal. Is both "on" creating an issue??

And would changing setting also stop the digital artifact that happens during high contrast fast flashing footage such as concert footage? Can the digitize tin be minimized. My TV is a new Sony xbr 65 inch 950 LCD

I have alot of good equipment and I think I could be doing better with the setting so I'm looking for advice. Thanks guys!
post #1646 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seosg View Post

I have alot of good equipment and I think I could be doing better with the setting so I'm looking for advice. Thanks guys!

You have some outstanding hardware. I'm sure you will get many opinions. My cable feed is only 1080i and my Premier feeds a Yamaha RX-V867 and then to a Sony EX700.

I don't add progressive scan by any device. Of course the TV only displays 1080p. I find no problems, audio or video with this configuration. Cables are from Monoprice.com and have a good cable signal level.

I wish I could point to a problem, but except for the occasional temporary loss of a channel, I can't report any probems. I might, in your situation, run the TiVo straight to the TV for a day. If your problem is intermittent this may not be a good suggestion. Good luck.
post #1647 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

IIRC, it's the "zoom" button.

Thanks DaverJ. That works great!

Greg
post #1648 of 3380 Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seosg View Post

Should I allow the tivo to do the upscaling or would it be better to let the amp do it?

It is my impression, that unless you spend $$$ on a separate scaler, your TV probably has the best scaler of any of your devices. The only way to determine where your artifacts are coming from is to experiment. Try setting the TiVo to send all signals that your TV will support, and turn off scaling in the receiver. Then see if the problems go away. Or as someone else suggested, hook your TiVo directly to your TV. Again, experiment by turning on/off the different screen frequencies to see which is best.

For me, I configure the TiVo to send the native signal (enabled all screen resolutions and scans) to my 3086. The 3806 is configured to up-convert analog to digital, but not to re-scale any of the digital signals. I get good results with this.

Greg
post #1649 of 3380 Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Anyone had to give their Premiere up after switching to satellite?

The two tuners on the THR22 wouldn't be enough for me, and I'm having difficulty finding direct comparisons with the HR34 beyond just the feature list but I haven't heard favorable things. I've had Tivo for eight years and am so very reluctant to give up that familiarity, but the amount of money it would save me (beyond being relatively upset with Comcast) is crazy.
post #1650 of 3380 Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post

Anyone had to give their Premiere up after switching to satellite?
The two tuners on the THR22 wouldn't be enough for me, and I'm having difficulty finding direct comparisons with the HR34 beyond just the feature list but I haven't heard favorable things. I've had Tivo for eight years and am so very reluctant to give up that familiarity, but the amount of money it would save me (beyond being relatively upset with Comcast) is crazy.

I gave up satellite to get a Tivo Premiere + Comcast to save a crazy amount of money. biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page