Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering ditching my Comcast Motorola DVR's to purchase an Elite XL4 for my Great Room & probably an inexpensive 2 tuner Premiere for my Master Bedroom. I did the 30 day trial 2 years ago & ended up sending back my Premiere & cancelling my service. I was hoping somethings have changed since then & I'd like to get some real world unbiased answers from current owners if you don't mind.
1) Menu Screens: Has the responsiveness of the menu screens improved, specifically in HD menu mode? I remember the HD menus lagged & were incomplete (mixed HD & SD menus) & the SD menus were not as up to date graphically but were more responsive. Have they enabled the second core on the dual core processor on all of the premieres via an update yet? I would think that this would have made a difference.
2) Screen Saver: Unless I missed something I was shocked to find out that my POS Motorola box has a screen saver & Tivo did not. Major over site in my opinion, sometimes I get up for a break & don't want image retention on my Pioneer PRO-141FD. I hope this has been addressed?
3) Caller ID: Not a deal breaker but a nice feature that my DIRECTV DVR & Comcast DVR have that I find a nice feature. I can't see why they couldn't enable this since the can connect via phone line with an adapter of course.
4) Whole Home DVR: Overall how well does the streaming (not transferring) from box to box work on a wired ethernet connection? I would use the XL4 to record all of my shows & stream them to a 2 tuner Premiere in my bedroom. I am no concerned with transferring or even recording, just access to the main library & pause, rewind, etc functions of live TV. I have heard a little bit about the rumored IP box that is coming soon & it sounds interesting but I am not sure if it is worth losing a tuner on the XL4. I am assuming this IP box can only access recordings & not live TV, correct me if I'm wrong.
5) IP Control: I will be using this with the Roomie Remote app & was wondering if anyone can comment on how responsive the Tivo is to IP control? If anyone here is using Roomie or another form of IP control (iRule, Crestron, Control4 , etc) with a Premiere please give me as much info you can on your experience.
6) Bugs & Issues: I had problems with my premiere locking up & had to unplug it sometimes. Has this improved &/or are there any other issues that my pop up that I should be aware of ahead of time?
Thank you in advance,