The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 3333 Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Member
 
triple_vee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, newb question: My understanding is that the Premiere XL accepts OTA and is basically the Premiere with extra storage. Is that the gist of the difference? Why was it discontinued by Tivo?
triple_vee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 3333 Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_vee View Post

Hello, newb question: My understanding is that the Premiere XL accepts OTA and is basically the Premiere with extra storage. Is that the gist of the difference? Why was it discontinued by Tivo?
Yes, basically that is correct. Why TiVo discontinued the XL is beyond me, I think they should have kept the XL and given it an upgrade to 2TB and kept the price the same. My guess is they do not have enough OTA customers to justify keeping two models in production. And the fact that so many owners upgrade their own HDD to 2TB anyway, using the base Premiere.

Both the Premiere and Premiere XL have 2 Cable Tuners, Analog or Digital & 2 ATSC OTA Tuners, capable of using any combination of 2 at the same time.
http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-specs.html#tab
https://www3.tivo.com/store/clearance-premiere-xl.do

Old (Discontinued) TiVo Premiere - 45Hr HD, 320GB HDD,
New TiVo Premiere (Expanded Edition) - 75Hr HD, 500GB HDD

(Discontinued) TiVo Premiere XL - 150Hr HD, 1TB HDD, THX Certification (doesn't mean much, IMO), upgraded to Glo Remote (This remote is very nice)
www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD748000-Premiere-DVR-Black/dp/B0036OR91A/


You can easily upgrade the Internal HDD on the regular Premiere to a 2TB HDD, TiVo uses the 2TB WD20EURS in their XL4, and that is the HDD I used to upgrade my Premiere.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

In case you are interested in upgrading your own HDD here is a Refurbished Premiere 45Hr, 320GB for $49.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Renewed-TiVo-Premiere-HD-DVR-w-45-Hours-HD-Recording-Internet-Video-/200807882657

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #1713 of 3333 Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Member
 
woster402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I have perused this forum and done several Google searches and haven't found the answer to my problem. I recently purchased a premier as I am about ready to "cut the cord" and I decided to test the Amazon VOD service by purchasing a season pass of a show. I linked my accounts and set Amazon to have the first three shows of the season downloaded to my Tivo. Out of the three shows of the season, only one downloaded to my Tivo. Amazon shows that I have only one of two downloads left so it believes the shows have been delivered. I deleted the one show that made it and Amazon shows that I have two downloads for that show now. I've tried linking and un-linking my account, hard rebooting my Tivo, and a couple of other techniques I read about on the web. Anyway, has anyone had this issue, and if you have, how did you rectify it?

XBOX Live: MaHawkma
PSN: woster
Steam: MaHawkma

woster402 is offline  
post #1714 of 3333 Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Member
 
atmusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by woster402 View Post

Anyway, has anyone had this issue, and if you have, how did you rectify it?
Contact Amazon support (use the "Contact Us" button when logged into your account to find the contact info - they are your best bet and are great at fixing issues with downloads
atmusky is offline  
post #1715 of 3333 Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Member
 
woster402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try that route. Thanx

XBOX Live: MaHawkma
PSN: woster
Steam: MaHawkma

woster402 is offline  
post #1716 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm getting a clicking noise from my Tivo Premiere that I never had before. Its clicking or ticking whether its recording or not recording.

Is this normal? I've had this Tivo box for about 2 years approx. Is the hard drive failing or about to crash? Is it dust or something?

Thanks everyone.
Edllguy is offline  
post #1717 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
It's either the drive or the fan, but my guess is the drive. If it's the drive then yes, it's going to die soon. Take the lid off and find out, it's just a few Torx screws in the back.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #1718 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You have some outstanding hardware. I'm sure you will get many opinions. My cable feed is only 1080i and my Premier feeds a Yamaha RX-V867 and then to a Sony EX700.
I don't add progressive scan by any device. Of course the TV only displays 1080p. I find no problems, audio or video with this configuration. Cables are from Monoprice.com and have a good cable signal level.
I wish I could point to a problem, but except for the occasional temporary loss of a channel, I can't report any probems. I might, in your situation, run the TiVo straight to the TV for a day. If your problem is intermittent this may not be a good suggestion. Good luck.

I beg to differ. I think the up scaling in the premier series 4 is junk. I have a few standard def channels (480i). If the tivo up scales these to 1080i they just look terrible. Far better for me to set the tivo to output 480i and 1080i and then let my denon avr 4311 upscale to 1080p. I do loose info data in hd on those sd channels but at least the picture looks better.

The tivo seems to be fine with 720p to 1080i though.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1719 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's either the drive or the fan, but my guess is the drive. If it's the drive then yes, it's going to die soon. Take the lid off and find out, it's just a few Torx screws in the back.

Thanks slowbiscuit for your feedback. Will check it out and report back. Would like a 2TB hard drive in my Premiere if the 1TB dies, however, I'm kind of nervous opening it up but I understand that there is detailed instructions on the internet showing how to replace the hard drive on these Tivo STBs.
Edllguy is offline  
post #1720 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Member
 
dboff01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I recently completed the upgrade to a 2 TB drive (Western Digital WD20EURS), resulting in 318 hours of HD recording capacity. Really simple process, requires a PC to connect the old and new drive for the copy process.

Google jmfs live and it should take you to the appropriate tivocommunity.com forum thread.
Edllguy likes this.
dboff01 is offline  
post #1721 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I beg to differ. I think the up scaling in the premier series 4 is junk. I have a few standard def channels (480i). If the tivo up scales these to 1080i they just look terrible. Far better for me to set the tivo to output 480i and 1080i and then let my denon avr 4311 upscale to 1080p. I do loose info data in hd on those sd channels but at least the picture looks better.
The tivo seems to be fine with 720p to 1080i though.

Th scaling is no better/worse than the S3. Is your SD content actually 480i or 480p? It's 480P here. 480i output does look terrible but 480p looks fine with my SD content(but it is SD which looks like crap compared to HD anyway). Although I've typically used my S3 and S4 boxes in native resolution mode and let my external scalers do the scaling/deinterlacing. Although the S4 I have in the bedroom I only use 1080i/1080P24 output. So it scales everything to 1080i and passes through 1080P24 content.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1722 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post

I recently completed the upgrade to a 2 TB drive (Western Digital WD20EURS), resulting in 318 hours of HD recording capacity. Really simple process, requires a PC to connect the old and new drive for the copy process.
Google jmfs live and it should take you to the appropriate tivocommunity.com forum thread.

Thanks dboff01
Edllguy is offline  
post #1723 of 3333 Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Th scaling is no better/worse than the S3. Is your SD content actually 480i or 480p? It's 480P here. 480i output does look terrible but 480p looks fine with my SD content(but it is SD which looks like crap compared to HD anyway). Although I've typically used my S3 and S4 boxes in native resolution mode and let my external scalers do the scaling/deinterlacing. Although the S4 I have in the bedroom I only use 1080i/1080P24 output. So it scales everything to 1080i and passes through 1080P24 content.

I've not owned a s3 so can't say if its the same or worse. Checking the sd channels on my tv (clear qam) it's showing 480i ... So I guess that's what's coming down the pipe.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1724 of 3333 Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Guys I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I just got a new tivo premier series 4 latest version. I'm trying to use amazon vod. I linked to my account and tried some SD content. All worked fine.

However, anytime I try and rent HD material, key in my 5 digit code I get a error message on the tivo to say unsupported format. This device cannot support the format requested.

I contacted tivo and they say its amazons issue. I spoke to amazon and they say they will look into it?

Does anyone have a recent tivo premier s4 and is able to rent and watch amazon HD content ?

Thx.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1725 of 3333 Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Guys I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.
I just got a new tivo premier series 4 latest version. I'm trying to use amazon vod. I linked to my account and tried some SD content. All worked fine.
However, anytime I try and rent HD material, key in my 5 digit code I get a error message on the tivo to say unsupported format. This device cannot support the format requested.
I contacted tivo and they say its amazons issue. I spoke to amazon and they say they will look into it?
Does anyone have a recent tivo premier s4 and is able to rent and watch amazon HD content ?
Thx.

I watched six of the seven episodes of Tron:Uprising last week on my Premieres in 1080P24 and DD 5.1 from Amazon. Although they did have an issue with the first episode where there was no audio even though there was a 5.1 DD track. I opened a trouble ticket and got a refund. A few days later they called me back and said the issue was solved. They had to re-encode that episode again. But it was too late for me anyway. I just watched that first episode from Xbox live and watched the rest on my Premieres from Amazon.

EDIT: after reading your post again, I did not purchase these episodes from my Premieres. I purchased them from my PC and had them downloaded to the Premieres. But I just looked at some of their free HD content from Amazon on the Premiere and selected The Walking Dead: Inside Season 3 and purchased it for zero dollars. Normally it starts downloading between a few seconds to a few minutes. But it's been ten minutes now and it still hasn't started downloading.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1726 of 3333 Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I watched six of the seven episodes of Tron:Uprising last week on my Premieres in 1080P24 and DD 5.1 from Amazon. Although they did have an issue with the first episode where there was no audio even though there was a 5.1 DD track. I opened a trouble ticket and got a refund. A few days later they called me back and said the issue was solved. They had to re-encode that episode again. But it was too late for me anyway. I just watched that first episode from Xbox live and watched the rest on my Premieres from Amazon.
EDIT: after reading your post again, I did not purchase these episodes from my Premieres. I purchased them from my PC and had them downloaded to the Premieres. But I just looked at some of their free HD content from Amazon on the Premiere and selected The Walking Dead: Inside Season 3 and purchased it for zero dollars. Normally it starts downloading between a few seconds to a few minutes. But it's been ten minutes now and it still hasn't started downloading.

Thanks for the post ... if I try and rent that free walking dead HD show on the premier, i get the same issue.

I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with it, but is your Tivo Premier the 75 hour HD capable one? Model # TCD746500





I just tried to purchase something directly on Amazon.com, and download to Tivo ... lets see if that works !
apw2607 is offline  
post #1727 of 3333 Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
If I purchase/rent the HD show using Amazon.com, and select the Tivo to download the show, nothing happens. If I goto "your video library" on Amazon, I see the show I rented/purchased. However .. only standard definition versions are able to be selected to download to TiVo ... not HD versions.

Very weird.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1728 of 3333 Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Thanks for the post ... if I try and rent that free walking dead HD show on the premier, i get the same issue.
I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with it, but is your Tivo Premier the 75 hour HD capable one? Model # TCD746500


I just tried to purchase something directly on Amazon.com, and download to Tivo ... lets see if that works !

I tried it on my Premiere Elite and I also tried it with my launch Premiere (320GB drive) with the same results. It never downloaded last nigh but I haven't checked it this morning All the Premiere models have the same hardware, with the exception of tuners, MoCA, and hard drive sizes.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1729 of 3333 Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

If I purchase/rent the HD show using Amazon.com, and select the Tivo to download the show, nothing happens. If I goto "your video library" on Amazon, I see the show I rented/purchased. However .. only standard definition versions are able to be selected to download to TiVo ... not HD versions.
Very weird.

I just selected the Walking dead Season 3 HD "Inside the Walking Dead: Season 3 Zombie Studio Tour with Greg Nicotero" to download on my second Elite from Amazon online. I had no problems selecting it and it started downloading a minute later. It finished in less than a minute. And is playing back fine.

I see it did eventually download to my other Elite. I don't know what happened with my two tuner Premiere though. It's not on there and I don't even see it listed online like my other Elite was for that title.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1730 of 3333 Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I tried it on my Premiere Elite and I also tried it with my launch Premiere (320GB drive) with the same results. It never downloaded last nigh but I haven't checked it this morning All the Premiere models have the same hardware, with the exception of tuners, MoCA, and hard drive sizes.

Thanks ... Tivo folks are saying that each time Tivo bring out a new box (even if its just a harddrive increase) .. the amazon folks still have to add the new box to their service ... apparently, they haven't or they haven't done this correctly with the two tuner premier.

I've raised a ticket with amazon to see if this can be resolved.

It would be nice if they added prime whilst their at it ... although i suspect thats asking a bit much.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1731 of 3333 Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Got a call today from Amazon VOD telling me that this "issue" is now top priority, and many eyes are on it to get it resolved.

Tivo also let me know that the system to link your tivo to your amazon account is no longer working. I'm not sure if this is for "all" tivo models or just a selection.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1732 of 3333 Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Ok. Now all working. Guess amazon worked their magic. HD downloads now working !! Looks and sound great.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1733 of 3333 Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Jano18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am considering ditching my Comcast Motorola DVR's to purchase an Elite XL4 for my Great Room & probably an inexpensive 2 tuner Premiere for my Master Bedroom. I did the 30 day trial 2 years ago & ended up sending back my Premiere & cancelling my service. I was hoping somethings have changed since then & I'd like to get some real world unbiased answers from current owners if you don't mind.

1) Menu Screens: Has the responsiveness of the menu screens improved, specifically in HD menu mode? I remember the HD menus lagged & were incomplete (mixed HD & SD menus) & the SD menus were not as up to date graphically but were more responsive. Have they enabled the second core on the dual core processor on all of the premieres via an update yet? I would think that this would have made a difference.

2) Screen Saver: Unless I missed something I was shocked to find out that my POS Motorola box has a screen saver & Tivo did not. Major over site in my opinion, sometimes I get up for a break & don't want image retention on my Pioneer PRO-141FD. I hope this has been addressed?

3) Caller ID: Not a deal breaker but a nice feature that my DIRECTV DVR & Comcast DVR have that I find a nice feature. I can't see why they couldn't enable this since the can connect via phone line with an adapter of course.

4) Whole Home DVR: Overall how well does the streaming (not transferring) from box to box work on a wired ethernet connection? I would use the XL4 to record all of my shows & stream them to a 2 tuner Premiere in my bedroom. I am no concerned with transferring or even recording, just access to the main library & pause, rewind, etc functions of live TV. I have heard a little bit about the rumored IP box that is coming soon & it sounds interesting but I am not sure if it is worth losing a tuner on the XL4. I am assuming this IP box can only access recordings & not live TV, correct me if I'm wrong.

5) IP Control: I will be using this with the Roomie Remote app & was wondering if anyone can comment on how responsive the Tivo is to IP control? If anyone here is using Roomie or another form of IP control (iRule, Crestron, Control4 , etc) with a Premiere please give me as much info you can on your experience.

6) Bugs & Issues: I had problems with my premiere locking up & had to unplug it sometimes. Has this improved &/or are there any other issues that my pop up that I should be aware of ahead of time?

Thank you in advance,
Jan Simonsen
Jano18 is offline  
post #1734 of 3333 Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kemitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

The TiVo service has been down now for 4 hours. Stupid me rebooted by Premiere, thinking there was a problem with the box. Big mistake. I don't think any of my scheduled programs are going to record tonight if they don't get service back up and running. I couldn't even get on to their website. What a PITA!

Are you sure the problem is with TiVo?

I just logged into my account with no problem and also checked my "To Do List" and everything was listed.

~kyle
kemitchell is offline  
post #1735 of 3333 Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

Are you sure the problem is with TiVo?
I just logged into my account with no problem and also checked my "To Do List" and everything was listed.

Since my box said there was a problem with Tivo on the My Tivo screen, I hope they had a problem. You wouldn't notice unless you went into a menu.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #1736 of 3333 Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

The TiVo service has been down now for 4 hours. Stupid me rebooted by Premiere, thinking there was a problem with the box. Big mistake. I don't think any of my scheduled programs are going to record tonight if they don't get service back up and running. I couldn't even get on to their website. What a PITA!

Why would the TiVo service affect previously scheduled recordings. I can have my box disconnected from the internet for almost two weeks and it will continue to record my programs with the info it has. As long as there were not any changes to the schedule, it will still record them as it should. It typically has guide data for 12 or 13 days.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1737 of 3333 Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I don't know what to tell you. When my Premiere XL rebooted, with the TiVo sevice down, I could not access my box with either my Ipad or Iphone. I could also not access my scheduled recordings from the box directly. So, you may be correct that it would have recorded as it was scheduled to do. I however had no way of knowing that if I could not confirm it.

I heard it was a terrorist attack. Our power grid and government isn't as important as TiVo service anymore.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #1738 of 3333 Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

I am considering ditching my Comcast Motorola DVR's to purchase an Elite XL4 for my Great Room & probably an inexpensive 2 tuner Premiere for my Master Bedroom. I did the 30 day trial 2 years ago & ended up sending back my Premiere & cancelling my service. I was hoping somethings have changed since then & I'd like to get some real world unbiased answers from current owners if you don't mind.
1) Menu Screens: Has the responsiveness of the menu screens improved, specifically in HD menu mode? I remember the HD menus lagged & were incomplete (mixed HD & SD menus) & the SD menus were not as up to date graphically but were more responsive. Have they enabled the second core on the dual core processor on all of the premieres via an update yet? I would think that this would have made a difference.
2) Screen Saver: Unless I missed something I was shocked to find out that my POS Motorola box has a screen saver & Tivo did not. Major over site in my opinion, sometimes I get up for a break & don't want image retention on my Pioneer PRO-141FD. I hope this has been addressed?
3) Caller ID: Not a deal breaker but a nice feature that my DIRECTV DVR & Comcast DVR have that I find a nice feature. I can't see why they couldn't enable this since the can connect via phone line with an adapter of course.
4) Whole Home DVR: Overall how well does the streaming (not transferring) from box to box work on a wired ethernet connection? I would use the XL4 to record all of my shows & stream them to a 2 tuner Premiere in my bedroom. I am no concerned with transferring or even recording, just access to the main library & pause, rewind, etc functions of live TV. I have heard a little bit about the rumored IP box that is coming soon & it sounds interesting but I am not sure if it is worth losing a tuner on the XL4. I am assuming this IP box can only access recordings & not live TV, correct me if I'm wrong.
5) IP Control: I will be using this with the Roomie Remote app & was wondering if anyone can comment on how responsive the Tivo is to IP control? If anyone here is using Roomie or another form of IP control (iRule, Crestron, Control4 , etc) with a Premiere please give me as much info you can on your experience.
6) Bugs & Issues: I had problems with my premiere locking up & had to unplug it sometimes. Has this improved &/or are there any other issues that my pop up that I should be aware of ahead of time?
Thank you in advance,
Jan Simonsen

I have both an Elite/XL4 and a Premiere w/ an upgraded 2TB HDD.

1) Menu Screens:
  • I have no issues with the speed of the HD Menus, To me they are fast and responsive (others still complain).
  • Second Core has been enabled for quite some time.
  • SD Menus still remaining are To Do List, Season Pass Manager and all the Set-up and Diagnostic screens. The next SW Update (soon) should bring a few more HD menus.

2) Screen Saver: NO

3) Caller ID: NO at least not on a Retail, perhaps RCN?

4) Whole Home DVR:
  • Streaming (MRS) Works very well, Hardwired or 5GHz Dual-Band WiFi, Single channel 2.4GHz does not play very smoothly, if at all for me.
  • The Menus to access a second TiVo Premiere are still SD hopefully that will change with the next SW Update.

5) IP Control:
  • I have only used the Android App and kmttg, that type of IP Control works very well, no complaints.

6) Bugs & Issues:
  • A few Lock-ups here and there, occasionally every few months
  • All Tuners Loss of Signal, occasionally every few months
  • Loss of SDV Tuning Adapter connection, occasionally every few months

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #1739 of 3333 Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

[*] SD Menus still remaining are To Do List, Season Pass Manager and all the Set-up and Diagnostic screens. The next SW Update (soon) should bring a few more HD menus.

I just read this on Twitter from @tivodesign:

"Fall Update for TiVo Premiere DVRs includes HD My Shows (for networked DVRs), HD Season Pass Manager, and HD To Do List."


Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.


Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
DaverJ is online now  
post #1740 of 3333 Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
And hopefully fixes for Elite/XL4 tuner issues, inability to remember pause/resume points in HDUI for ongoing recordings, and HDUI/SDUI lockups that you can only get out of with iPhone remote control app or a reboot.

I've seen the first a few times ("problems with signal on this channel" on some or all channels when signal is good), the second happens all the time which is why I switched to SDUI (flip between two ongoing recordings in HDUI, like a couple of NFL games, to see it - mostly affects live sports when you're watching a bit behind live), and the third happens on a regular basis when I do page up/down in the SDUI.

If they can fix these bugs and add the new HD screens, I might be able to switch back to the HDUI. But the second bug is a killer for me.
slowbiscuit is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off