post #211 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

The slider isn't out yet, and doesn't come with the XL.

...however, the XL comes with a "Glo backlit remote". The non-XL does not.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

...however, the XL comes with a "Glo backlit remote". The non-XL does not.

true. I wish it glowed when you picked it up like my harmony. otherwise you have to hit any button to make it glow, and you might hit the wrong one.
post #213 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks guys!
My thinking is that for two bills I get more HD and a better remote, which would end up being more or less the same if you had to buy the premiere, the external HD and the glo-remote, maybe 50 bucks more for the XL.

As an exiting tivo customer I do have the upgrade optiion of 20% off but I think what I am going to do is get it at Best Buy and just get $100 off lifetime. I like the idea of paying for the XL over a year or so with the no interest financing rather than throwing $798 on the CC all at once, and we all know how quickly those things get paid for, at least for me!
post #214 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

true. I wish it glowed when you picked it up like my harmony. otherwise you have to hit any button to make it glow, and you might hit the wrong one.

Why not just use your Harmony then? Is there a problem using it in conjunction with the Premiere?
post #215 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan2 View Post

Why not just use your Harmony then? Is there a problem using it in conjunction with the Premiere?

I do use my harmony. Just saying, as a backup remote it's nice. But the Harmony doesn't have a setup for the Premiere's A/B/C/D buttons yet.

The tivo remotes are still more snappy than my Harmony, even at 0ms delay - I don't know why.
post #216 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan2 View Post

This is my first DVR and so I am very new to it and still learning how to do things efficiently. But I have to say that I find that searching for shows is easier for me from the web rather than using the TiVo. Yesterday I was on the TiVo looking at Sienfeld episoldes of which there are many. I wanted to get a snapshot of what the episode was about before choosing to record.

I seemed to have to go through several screens to get a description and then to the point I could record. And the screen changes seemed relatively slow. Then when I went back a screen to the episode list; it took me to the beginning of the list. So I had to scroll down the episode list several screens to get to the place I left off (it didn't return me to my previous location in the list). That took forever.

In Upcoming, you lose your spot in menu navigation when clicking through to episodes. You shouldn't lose your spot when browsing the Episode Guide.

The current version of the Episode Guide appears to be "bugged" in that it lists the TV icon next to each episode even when it is unavailable. It should only show the TV icon next to episodes that are actually available in the next two weeks. When fixed, that should improve its usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

I'm not a fan of the discovery bar. I already know what I want to watch, and don't need any suggestions from TiVo, but I don't really feel like going back to the classic interface.

I do like that it now does 1080p with Amazon. Saw The Blind Side yesterday, and it looked pretty good.

I don't care for the discovery bar either with its current options. I have no need for suggestions.

Once TiVo made the decision to incorporate the video window (can be turned off), it had to find a way to use that space. Outside of an EPG, most DVR screens don't mix well with a video window. The discovery bar was their answer.

I think the discovery bar could be made useful for non-suggestions. TiVo could enhance that bar to show the next 5-10 programs upcoming on the user's To Do List. Or they might add non-show "widget" uses, such as squares for the current weather, stocks, facebook updates, a twitter shortcut or twitter comments, etc. TiVo did say last month that future updates would add further customization options for the discovery bar.
post #217 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For those that missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post

For those who haven't seen the Premiere in action, below are two HD videos I just uploaded to Youtube:

TiVo Premiere's My Shows
TiVo Premiere's Search

Don't forget to click HD.

post #218 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

aaronwt, are your tivo's the 45 hr. model? And if so, do you feel there is enough space on the HD? I am on the fence about getting the XL model instead of adding an external HD. I am not sure I would use the slider remote on the XL because I don't normally text but the backlit feature would be nice.

I have two of the XL units and the rest are the non XL. The XL units are for my main viewing area(along with one non XL that I will use for shows my GF and I watch together). And if I only had one or two TiVos they would need to be the XL with more recording capacity. The way TiVo marries the external drive, I would not want to risk problems by having the external drive. On my other TVs I have the non XL unit since I really don't need the extra storage at those locations. But generally the more storage the better. I just hope I still get my Fatwallet cash in a couple of months. I should have at least $300 coming to me from the TiVo purchases.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #219 of 3333 Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

bfdtv - any word on the "quick clear progress bar" code not working on the premiere? The other codes work, but that one is the one I use and it bothers me. Thanks!
post #220 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Bfdtv

Thanks for posting the operation of the Premiere.

What speed internet are you on for the Premiere connection.

Overall, Netflix questions:

When you select Lost from Netflix and you what to watch a specific season and episode from the beginning of a showabout how long does it take to start the show?

Host does Lost come to your TV? Quality wise? 480i, or 720p, or 1080i or 1080p. How would you rate it next to Blu-Ray Lost?
post #221 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Bfdtv

Thanks for posting the operation of the Premiere.

What speed internet are you on for the Premiere connection.

Overall, Netflix questions:

When you select Lost from Netflix and you what to watch a specific season and episode from the beginning of a showabout how long does it take to start the show?

Host does Lost come to your TV? Quality wise? 480i, or 720p, or 1080i or 1080p. How would you rate it next to Blu-Ray Lost?

Netflix streams HD in 720p. Lost is HD.
post #222 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm having some problems with my new Premiere.

1) It has frozen twice now on the main Tivo screen. I have to unplug the Tivo box to restart.

2) I am frequently get this thin line of static at the top of the screen, mostly on older 4:3 programming. Basically instead of the top letterbox bar being black, it's static.

Anyone else having these problems? Thanks.
post #223 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstephe View Post

I'm having some problems with my new Premiere.

1) It has frozen twice now on the main Tivo screen. I have to unplug the Tivo box to restart.

2) I am frequently get this thin line of static at the top of the screen, mostly on older 4:3 programming. Basically instead of the top letterbox bar being black, it's static.

Word has it there's going to be a software update this week, which will hopefully fix a lot of these bugs.

For now, if your Premiere freezes during the HD-UI, press this key sequence one at a time: thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play, play. This will reset the UI without rebooting.

EDIT: apparenly this code doesn't work during the lock-up. But those that are using the SD-only menus aren't reporting any lock-ups.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #224 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

So far no issues with the seven Premieres I've setup. Although I'm still waiting for the MRV to be active for the new Lifetime boxes. It's already available for my Premieres that took over the monthly subscription.

LED DLP

post #225 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The way TiVo marries the external drive, I would not want to risk problems by having the external drive.

Thanks for the info, I don't want to invite HD problems, these early bugs are troublesome however..
post #226 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the closed captioning code. You don't normally see it since it's usually in the overscan area. If your Tivo is upconverting to 1080i/p, it will show this because it will show the entire area digitally, no matter if it's in the overscan area or not - as long as your panel supports pixel by pixel output. If you want to remove that, you'll need to re-engage overscan by setting your panel's output to something like "Full" instead.
post #227 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM

I have a Samsung HT-X50 DVD player/home theater system and a Tivo Premiere. I would like to control its volume with Tivo. None of the codes work and I have read this is a problem with these all in one systems (ie. the codes are for dedicated receivers.)

Question - if I upgraded to Tivo XL and the learning remote, would it be able to learn the correct code to control my home theater system volume? Thanks.
post #228 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM

I have a question for anyone that has a tivo and is using it with fios service. Does a tech need to come out to install a m-card and does verizon charge for these cards monthly? I currently have a fios dvr and can get a a primeire for about 1/3 of retail cost so I am looking at it to see it it would be worth it over the box i already have. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
post #229 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

I have a question for anyone that has a tivo and is using it with fios service. Does a tech need to come out to install a m-card and does verizon charge for these cards monthly? I currently have a fios dvr and can get a a primeire for about 1/3 of retail cost so I am looking at it to see it it would be worth it over the box i already have. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

#1 - tech may or may not be required, but the truth it they are not - you can do it over the phone. Depends on the operator who picks up, as to whether they're smart enough to do it. Give them the HOST ID.

#2 - cards range from $1.50 to $5 a month through Comcast - FIOS may be different, or free.
post #230 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
FiOS charges me $3.99 per month for each of two CableCARDs installed into my TiVo S3.
post #231 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

Verizon charges $3.99/mo for one M-CARD.

Verizon requires an installation appointment. Verizon charges $79 for most customer requested service visits, but CableCards are an exception. There is never a charge for CableCard installation so long as that is the only task performed. When you call to order a CableCard, don't mention outlet installations or equipment removal because they do charge for that.
post #232 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have two of the XL units and the rest are the non XL. The XL units are for my main viewing area(along with one non XL that I will use for shows my GF and I watch together). And if I only had one or two TiVos they would need to be the XL with more recording capacity. The way TiVo marries the external drive, I would not want to risk problems by having the external drive. On my other TVs I have the non XL unit since I really don't need the extra storage at those locations. But generally the more storage the better. I just hope I still get my Fatwallet cash in a couple of months. I should have at least $300 coming to me from the TiVo purchases.

How are you controlling multiple units in the same viewing area? Are you using multiple remotes and the tivos are set to remote 1 & 2 ?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #233 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Maybe this has been reported, can't believe it hasn't, but anyway I just received a email from Tivo today saying if I bought a Premiere I could get lifetime for 1/2 off. I would take that as $200 for lifetime, which I do have on my Tivo HD so it's probably why I received the offer(IOW not for new members).
post #234 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a Samsung HT-X50 DVD player/home theater system and a Tivo Premiere. I would like to control its volume with Tivo. None of the codes work and I have read this is a problem with these all in one systems (ie. the codes are for dedicated receivers.)

Question - if I upgraded to Tivo XL and the learning remote, would it be able to learn the correct code to control my home theater system volume? Thanks.

Here is a link to the procedure at Tivo's website.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...TE/r_id/100041

If you don't want the XL you can buy the Glo-Remote separately from Tivo.
post #235 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Be careful when buying one of these boxes. I purchased a premiere with lifetime, but the OTA tuner is quite a step down from previous generations. When I inquired about a replacement box, they advised I would have to ship it back to them (at my expense) and upon receipt they would then send out a replacement. If I wanted to go the other route (They charge my credit card for another 800.00 or so) they would ship another one right away. I think maybe not. I asked for an RMA to return the premiere. Time to look around ebay for a 3rd gen with lifetime.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #236 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Be careful when buying one of these boxes. I purchased a premiere with lifetime, but the OTA tuner is quite a step down from previous generations. When I inquired about a replacement box, they advised I would have to ship it back to them (at my expense) and upon receipt they would then send out a replacement. If I wanted to go the other route (They charge my credit card for another 800.00 or so) they would ship another one right away. I think maybe not. I asked for an RMA to return the premiere. Time to look around ebay for a 3rd gen with lifetime.

I've got several S3 and TiVo HD units I plan on selling. They have been upgraded to 1TB drives and have Lifetime Service. I plan on only using Premiere boxes and selling all my S3/TiVoHD boxes.

LED DLP

post #237 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

the OTA tuner is quite a step down from previous generations.

What generation are you talking about? Series 2, 3, HD.
From what I understand the Premier is supposed to have the same tuner as last years Tivo HD(which I have) and it works fine for me OTA. I'm not what you'd call in a rural area but rather the burbs so I can't say about fringe reception. Generally the newer a product the better the digital tuner is, or at least that's the way it's been in the past.
Either something is wrong with yours, you've got a bad cable/connection or I don't know what. I really haven't read this problem before so I'd like to see a few more reports before saying the tuner is a poorer quality. Good luck on getting it straightened out and please report back.
post #238 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Hughes HR10 that gets all of my locals perfectly, some at 60+ miles with a rock solid picture. Using the premiere, my signal levels on all stations are down 20 to 30%. just enough to kill reliable reception at those distances. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=446075

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #239 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What generation are you talking about? Series 2, 3, HD.
From what I understand the Premier is supposed to have the same tuner as last years Tivo HD(which I have) and it works fine for me OTA. I'm not what you'd call in a rural area but rather the burbs so I can't say about fringe reception. Generally the newer a product the better the digital tuner is, or at least that's the way it's been in the past.
Either something is wrong with yours, you've got a bad cable/connection or I don't know what. I really haven't read this problem before so I'd like to see a few more reports before saying the tuner is a poorer quality. Good luck on getting it straightened out and please report back.

Nothing is wrong with his Premiere. I have seven of them and they all show the same results when compared to the S3/TiVoHD units. Whatever settings they currently have for the Premier OTA tuner, it is less sensitive than the S3 units. The reception doesn't seem to be as good. But they probably need to tweak something.

LED DLP

post #240 of 3333 Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

From what I understand the Premier is supposed to have the same tuner as last years Tivo HD(which I have) and it works fine for me OTA.

Each "tuner" consists of two parts -- a silicon tuner and a demodulator. The silicon tuner is the same as the TiVo HD, but the demodulator is different. The demodulator does the bulk of the work; it is the part that extracts the MPEG-2 stream from the 8-VSB (ATSC) signal provided by the silicon tuner.

Both the TiVo HD and Series3 used the same ATI Theater 314 demodulator, so TiVo had plenty of time to "perfect" the associated settings in firmware. The Premiere is the first TiVo product with a Micronas DRX demodulator, so the implementation and settings may not be as mature. The Micronas DRX is the same product line used by the latest revision of the SiliconDust HDHomerun.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page