Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-14-2002, 07:46 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The coverage in Widescreen Review (in their upcoming issue 59, April 2002) is extensive and valuable. It includes a thorough five-page equipment review of the HM-DH30000U by Greg Rogers, who is now WSR's Video Technical Editor and who is one of my favorite writers working in this field.

I found it curious that WSR's coverage dances completely around the fact that there is a small community of users who have been accumulating tapes of HD movies for several years now. I suppose it's mostly irrelevant since the significance of the D-Theater announcement is that this is the first time some content providers have chosen to make pre-recorded HD content available for consumers to watch at their leisure.

I also suppose WSR has no wish to draw extra attention to our little community, which is fine. But I had to smile when I read that they've occasionally watched 1080i movies in WSR's theatre with the Panasonic PV-HD1000, on tapes "provided by the studios", as though no one there has ever taped an HD movie from HBO or Showtime.

Anyway: Greg's review of the JVC deck is, on the whole, a favorable one. His description of its performance on SD content has made me want one even more. This is a very versatile VCR.

Given our many discussions of the "freeze" problem, it's significant that Greg encountered it as well. I trust that excerpting a few sentences from his review here won't upset him or WSR:

Quote:
On a couple of occasions I experienced "dropouts" while viewing the JVC demo tape, in the form of a second or two of silence and usually a momentarily frozen image or a short burst of MPEG blocks. But surprisingly the defects were never repeatable on that tape. Each time I would rewind past the suspected "dropout" and play the same section again with no difficulty. On several other occasions I played the entire demo tape without any "dropouts," and I never experienced any problems with the Motley Crue tape.

However, one of the six-minute recordings that I made
[he was testing SD recording from digital and analog sources -- rrg] had three dropouts that were repeatable every time I replayed the tape. The picture would freeze and the sound would become silent for a second or so. But I never experienced dropouts anywhere else on that tape.

Ron Gomes
post #3 of 21 Old 03-14-2002, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would anyone want to use SD recording, rather than HS speed?

I also thought it was interesting that WSR didnt deal with the number of products that allow the jvc to be used as a time shifting product, like the HiPIx and 169time products. I did write Gary about this and have not heard anything back. I agree Ron, I could clearly read the politics between the lines. But it was a great set of articles. No negatives about but we must have HD-DVD now.

dave
post #4 of 21 Old 03-14-2002, 08:40 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

The deck is useful for more than just HD recording and playback, and Greg's review makes that point well. If I get one of these I will be using it not just to record HD but also to take over a lot of the SD recording of regular TV that I currently do onto analog S-VHS tape. The digital recordings that this deck makes from analog SD sources, using its built-in MPEG encoder, are virtually noise-free and essentially indistinguishable from the originals.

Before I got distracted by HD, this was my Holy Grail of video: affordable, perfect, and re-copiable recordings of the pristine SD video sources (like C-band satellite) that I have access to. There'll still be a need for this for a while.

Ron Gomes
post #5 of 21 Old 03-14-2002, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rrg
Given our many discussions of the "freeze" problem, it's significant that Greg encountered it as well.
...and gratifying that he said anything about it in the review. Hopefully this will goad JVC into fixing this design flaw.

-Roger
post #6 of 21 Old 03-14-2002, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
we must have HD-DVD now.

dave
I am agree with you Dave. Beside I don't like the old idea of useing tape instead of disc.

Tony
post #7 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

We DO have HD DVD now. Just get a $400.00 DVD-R burner and record the MPEG2 or transport streams of your choice. What am I missing?
:confused:
post #8 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Question: Will the now discontinued Panasonic HD VCR be able to play the soon to be released D-VHS High Definition movies?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #9 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe there is currently only one model of VCR available that will play the new D-Theater tapes - the US model JVC HM-DH30000U. This format has a very limited market IMHO. $1500 for a player and $30-$40 per title and very few titles to be available. Only hard core HT enthusiasts will probably go for it. Most who buy the JVC unit will probably buy it for the recording capability and the D-Theater playback will be a bonus. You would have to want HD real bad to buy this just for HD playback.

Jay
post #10 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

What you're missing is HD on a dvd-r will hold maybe 30 minutes for a 5 dollar platter. On tape I can hold a 4 hour HD movie.

dave
post #11 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

What you're missing is up to 45 minutes on a 1.99 "platter" and 90 minutes on a double sided disc. You might say you are missing HD-DVD:)

Joe
post #12 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I love my dvhs tapes. Cheap. No stopping or flipping stuff.
One step.

dave
post #13 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
I love my dvhs tapes. Cheap. No stopping or flipping stuff.
One step.

dave
Agreed. Anyone can pop in a D-VHS tape and watch a show. I don't want a collection of DVD-Rs that won't work in standard players anyway.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #14 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

"we must have HD-DVD now"

No, wait - "I love my dvhs tapes"

Of course, there's no reason not to have both.

Joe
post #15 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
So how easy is it to get blank tapes for that discontinued Panasonic VCR? Does it only work alongside/in conjunction with a DISH 5000 with modulator setup?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #16 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 01:34 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

You misunderstood Dave's original remark. He didn't express himself well but if you read it again you'll see that he was praising the D-Theater coverage in Widescreen Review, and in particular the fact that WSR expresses great excitement about this first release of pre-recorded HD content instead of complaining about the videotape format and whining that "we must have HD-DVD now."

The petty bickering on this Forum is getting really tiresome.

Ron Gomes
post #17 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
[b]So how easy is it to get blank tapes for that discontinued Panasonic VCR? Does it only work alongside/in conjunction with a DISH 5000 with modulator setup?
Blank tapes are not a problem. Many of us use relatively affordable S-VHS tapes instead of D-VHS
tapes with generally good results. I use Fuji ST-160 S-VHS tapes which cost ~ $5.50 at Tape Warehouse.

The PV-HD1000 can be used to record OTA HD content but must be mated to a Panny TU-DST50 or 51 STB (both of which have firewire connectors). Of course many of us here also mate the Panny combo to the DISH 5000 receiver/DISH modulator in order to tape PPV, HBO, Showtime, CBS-HD (some of us anyway), and DISH demo channel content.

HDTV Early Adopter
post #18 of 21 Old 03-15-2002, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
[b]Question: Will the now discontinued Panasonic HD VCR be able to play the soon to be released D-VHS High Definition movies?

No the Panny PV-HD1000 VCR can't decrypt DTheater encoded tapes. Currently only the US version of the JVC 30K VCR can play those tapes.

HDTV Early Adopter
post #19 of 21 Old 03-16-2002, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What you're missing is up to 45 minutes on a 1.99 "platter" and 90 minutes on a double sided disc. You might say you are missing HD-DVD
could you please elaborate. were you get the media that cheap etc...

Pardon my spelling, the checker hangs my system.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-16-2002, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The cheapest dvd-r media I have bought is 2.95. I think their double sided is 5.95 but to me it doesnt matter, who wants to get up and flip a platter every 45 minutes, let alone all the work to make the darn things.

Love my Dvhs tapes!!

dave
post #21 of 21 Old 03-17-2002, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Dave-
I received a post card ad last week for bulk DVD-R's for 1.99 ea. but the minimum order was 1000. Sorry, I threw it in the trash.
Last I bought the $2.95 DVD-R I got 50 and am still working my way through those on commercial jobs. In business it is important to buy inventory that does not sit for long periods of time. I'm not high enough volume to warrant a $1990 order for blanks. :(

All I want is a DirecTV STB with 1394 I/O that works with my PVHD1000 and or Mitsubishi HD DVHS that doesn't cost over $750.

I looked at the 169Time but my personal preference is to not spend $1100 for a retrofit to my $500 DTC-100 just to get the local channels HDTV recording. First of all, I don't have any locals airing HDTV at this time. (We had this for 2 weeks during the Olympics but that is now over) and second, I can already record locals to HDTV. I'm sure the 169Time device is good for some people but without DirecTV HD recording it is worthless to me. It would just be a second(expensive) way to do what I already can do with present equipment. However, the 169Time is at least working toward this goal of retrofitting the DTC-100 for the purpose I want. Some day, Maybe! Then I will have to evaluate the cost/benefit of DirecTV HD channels and have the ability to record them.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page