SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 597 Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night, 11/06/10, my Sony DHG-HDD250 HDTV recorder had no listings but the grid is still there. I checked my Mitsubishi WD-73727 TV and it too has a grid which is full of No Listings. They've been working since the digital upgrades.

I'm using an OTA antenna so apparently TVGOS (still PBS KAET - channel 8?) hasn't been updating for many days. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know what's up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 597 Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Sorry--I didn't pay close enough attention to what you said.

Hey, no problem. I'm enjoying getting use to Passport and I'm amazed at how much different it feels compared to what I used with TWC at my daughter's in Fayetteville. Even though it's basically the same program, it feels so different and I give a lot of credit to Cox for that. Their channel lineup scheme is so much better and makes Passport more user friendly. Even though not directly related to Passport, their changes to On Demand simply adds to the overall experience. Had I experience this then, I proabably would have been more eager to dump SARA and a little less defensive to during past discussions.

To be sure, Passport hasn't changed anything I can do, except actually search productively, but it is a more fluid and nicer experience. I'm even getting used to the milk-toast color scheme, though I do wish there were options there. I do like the ability to skip channels, but I find that feature really doesn't do much for me since I rarely channel surf and my guide opens in the HD channels where I want it anyway. I love ch 1999 for diagnostics, way better than SARA. The biggest useful feature for me is probably the Series Manager. I like being able to see all my season passes and not just the placeholders that SARA showed.

I suppose the only negative is what it costs. I can't be sure, but I suspect the last rate increase was almost all for Passport, I'm quite sure it costs more than SARA did.

Cheers, Dave
post #273 of 597 Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ
I don't, I said I record Smallville and Medium. As I also said, this was the first season pass I scheduled before I figured out how to limit Passport to a specific timeslot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Sorry--I didn't pay close enough attention to what you said.

What he actually wrote: "Anyway, when I moved Sanctuary, it ended up ahead of Smallville creating a 3-way conflict with Medium. Needless to say, Sanctuary got recorded instead of Smallville. Fortunately, I watch Smallville live in the bedroom..."

Now, what he actually meant may well be different.
post #274 of 597 Old 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Now, what he actually meant may well be different.

Reply deleted.

Never mind, not taking the bate.

Cheers, Dave
post #275 of 597 Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMundy View Post

Last night, 11/06/10, my Sony DHG-HDD250 HDTV recorder had no listings but the grid is still there. I checked my Mitsubishi WD-73727 TV and it too has a grid which is full of No Listings. They've been working since the digital upgrades.

I'm using an OTA antenna so apparently TVGOS (still PBS KAET - channel 8?) hasn't been updating for many days. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know what's up?

I use the TVGOS through Cox Cable, and the data did indeed stop within the last 7-14 days. I had guide data last week. I have put in a request with Cox, but it sounds like it is a KAET problem, or even a Rovi problem, (Rovi is the data provider) if OTA is also not working.
The Contact at KAET is Kim @ 602-496-2308. I will be giving her a call tomorrow. Anyone else having a problem should contact her also.

I reset my DVD Recorder's IPG so it would rescan the channels. It did stop at 94 and did obtain the correct channel mapping, but no guide listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

All my talk recently about Channel 94 and the TV Guide OnScreen data.

I checked my DVD Recorder tonight and it was empty, no guide info, but there was Guide data last week. So I wonder is there any way this could be related to the Rovi Passport IPG upgrade, even though none of my boxes have been updated yet.

TVGOS is also provided by Rovi then transmitted by KAET, not sure that has anything to do with the issue.
http://digitaltransition.macrovision..._id=rightPromo

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #276 of 597 Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use the TVGOS through Cox Cable, and the data did indeed stop within the last 7-14 days. I had guide data last week. I have put in a request with Cox, but it sounds like it is a KAET problem, or even a Rovi problem, (Rovi is the data provider) if OTA is also not working.
The Contact at KAET is Kim @ 602-496-2308. I will be giving her a call tomorrow. Anyone else having a problem should contact her also.

I reset my DVD Recorder's IPG so it would rescan the channels. It did stop at 94 and did obtain the correct channel mapping, but no guide listings.
I Just spoke with KAET. They had a piece of equipment fail and are waiting for a replacement part. It should be back up this week possibly as early as Wednesday.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #277 of 597 Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 8300HD I am testing has the following:
  • Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085 - Sep 13 2010 16:13:36
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp - May 22 2009 12:19:36

OS Version seems a bit old. Maybe that is the newest version the 8300HD can manage with available RAM.
After my 8240HDC is converted I will post those too.

Just downloaded Passport to my 8240HDC
  • Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085 - Sep 13 2010 16:20:06
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp - Jun 2 2010 2:20:38 PM

Listed under Scheduled Recordings, only 5 shows, of 30, transferred into the new guide.
External eSATA HDD is working as expected. I cannot find where the Ext HDD model # is listed in the Diagnostic Menu.

Well that only took 1/2 HR to set the new guide up and change all 100 recordings to Keep. I feel sorry for the folks that didn't write everything down.

post #278 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 AM

Hello all, last night 11/09 I noticed my box was updating, I had heard about the new IPG and my fathers non HD box had already upgraded a few days before... he was not too happy about the new IPG, however I had been looking forward to it... util I got it. SARA was ugly and did stick sometimes, etc, however as someone mentioned earlier, it was reliable.

Well I spoke with a cox rep the other day inquiring about the upgrade, they had mentioned my recordings would need to be re-set. After the upgrade (which took a long time, and my box repeatedly rebooted for about 20 or so minutes) my upcoming recording timers were still there. I deleted them just to be safe, as nothing was in the series manager, just in the upcoming list. Well here is the issue I am having now. Once I re-set up some recordings, like Conan, or George Lopez, General Hospital, etc. Shows that are on M-F new episodes everyday... well the next day is not showing on the guide as being set to record. I called and they said well perhaps the upgrade did not go through correctly and they sent it to me again. I waited and once again reset a recording timer... still the next day is not set to rec. I am at a loss now. Why is it not marking my shows to be recorded when I have set it to rec the series, all episodes, keep until manually erased.

For example, I set Conan to rec today at 12am... well tomorrow at 12am Conan is not showing as set to rec... even though I chose rec series. Is anyone seeing this issue? Will they still record but not show as being set to record?

The next step is to replace the box they said, however I use a DVR expander from Iomega and I will then lose the shows I have on their that I have yet to watch. I go to college, work, do homework most of my free time, so I need a working DVR... one I can see that yes my shows are actually going to record. I am disappointed in this new IPG upgrade.

I have a 82040HDC and a Iomega 1tb DVR Expander.
post #279 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fused0ne View Post

Well here is the issue I am having now. Once I re-set up some recordings, like Conan, or George Lopez, General Hospital, etc. Shows that are on M-F new episodes everyday... well the next day is not showing on the guide as being set to record. I called and they said well perhaps the upgrade did not go through correctly and they sent it to me again. I waited and once again reset a recording timer... still the next day is not set to rec. I am at a loss now. Why is it not marking my shows to be recorded when I have set it to rec the series, all episodes, keep until manually erased.

For example, I set Conan to rec today at 12am... well tomorrow at 12am Conan is not showing as set to rec... even though I chose rec series. Is anyone seeing this issue? Will they still record but not show as being set to record?

The next step is to replace the box they said, however I use a DVR expander from Iomega and I will then lose the shows I have on their that I have yet to watch. I go to college, work, do homework most of my free time, so I need a working DVR... one I can see that yes my shows are actually going to record. I am disappointed in this new IPG upgrade.

I have a 82040HDC and a Iomega 1tb DVR Expander.

I just set Conan to record all NEW episodes, and under "DVR LIST" - (B) "Scheduled Recordings" Conan shows up for Wed, Thur, Fri, Mon, Tue.

Series Recording Options
  • First Run Only
  • TBSHD 716 only
  • All Showings

If that is how the series is set up and does not show Conan on all weekdays, Try Re-booting the DVR by unplugging the power for a few minutes and reconnect power.

post #280 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:

I just set Conan to record all NEW episodes, and under "DVR LIST" - (B) "Scheduled Recordings" Conan shows up for Wed, Thur, Fri, Mon, Tue.

Series Recording Options
  • First Run Only
  • TBSHD 716 only
  • All Showings

If that is how the series is set up and does not show Conan on all weekdays, Try Re-booting the DVR by unplugging the power for a few minutes and reconnect power.

I have done that, and nothing. Its not showing it at all, anything I have set up to record, for the rest of the week is not showing up unless I manually record each episode, instead of series rec. I tried rebooting, I tried having them send me the upgrade again, nothing worked.

Any other ideas of things I can try? I do not want to lose the recordings I;ve not yet seen on my DVR Expander.

Next week some shows seem like they are showing up, but anything for the rest of this week does not seem to be working. If it starts to work for next week, fine, I'll gladly manually rec for the rest of the week, but I am not sure if that applies for all things I've set up, since I can't see past next Tue on the guide yet.
post #281 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

... I do not want to lose the recordings I;ve not yet seen on my DVR Expander...

That's another matter. You need to go through all your old recordings and make sure anything you want to keep until you have a chance to watch it is set to be kept until you manually erase it. For others reading this thread, I believe this is especially important if you have only the internal HDD.

Ron (Cox Phoenix AZ) SA 8300HD, Passport Echo 3.1.085, OS PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp
post #282 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any other ideas of things I can try? I do not want to lose the recordings I've not yet seen on my DVR Expander.

Calm down and don't panic. There is no need to run out and replace the box the first day or even first week. If there is something wrong at their end, perhaps they'll figure it out so you don't lose your recordings. As long as you can record, hang in there.

I would try setting a series recording for First Run & Reruns to see if that works.

I would also try some different daily programs on TBS and another channel to see if it's limited to Conan and/or TBS. You say you think other weekly's work for next week, so somethng must be working.

Also try going to Tuesday morning's program in the guide and use that to set the series recording for First Run to see if there's just something wrong with the data for tomorrow morning.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try it again tomorrow after the guide updates tonight.

If none of that works, I would try a hard reboot - hold the power button in while plugging the power cord back in. This forces a deeper reset than just rebooting. I believe it also forces a reload of the guide data.

Cheers, Dave
post #283 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I deleted them just to be safe, as nothing was in the series manager, just in the upcoming list.

When I set up our 8300HD after the upgrade, I did essentially the same thing you did, and I know I saw some confusing behavior that I think was related to the fact that I had deleted the future recordings (left over from SARA) that were showing up as individual recordings rather than series. The box seemed to "remember" that the show had previously been set for recording and had been canceled, because the icon that I thought meant "recording conflict" showed for some of those shows in the guide.

When I thought I had finished setting up all the series (about 12) I wanted, I checked and the Series Manager had multiple entries for one or two shows. I just selected and removed the settings I didn't want.

Sorry I can't offer a specific suggestion, but I believe Dave's advice above is good. Just wish I could have "recorded" everything I did to make the transition, because I believe some of it didn't go according to the manual. All is OK at this point.

Ron (Cox Phoenix AZ) SA 8300HD, Passport Echo 3.1.085, OS PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp
post #284 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hard Drive Power Management:
Do one of the following:
• If you want the power to the hard drive(s) to remain on, highlight the Always On option.
• If you want the power to the hard drive(s) to turn off one minute after the set-top box turns off, highlight the On with Set-top option.

Quote:

Hard Drive Power Management

To set whether the hard disk drive powers off one minute after the set-top box, or remains on all the time:
1) Press the SETTINGS key.

Passport Echo displays the Quick Settings menu.

2) Press the A key.

Passport Echo displays the General Settings menu.

3) Press the PAGE - or + key repeatedly to highlight the Accessories category.
  • If the Accessories category is not expanded, press SELECT.
  • The Accessories category will expand to display various preferences (e.g., AC Outlet Use, RF Output, Power Manager and Set-top Clock).
4) Press the DOWN ARROW key to highlight the Power Manager preference.

The currently-selected Power Manager setting is displayed.

5) Press the RIGHT ARROW key to move to the Options column.

The Options column displays two options:

• Hard Drive Power
  • Settop Power
6) Press the UP or DOWN ARROW key to highlight the Hard Drive Power option.
7) Press SELECT.

The State column displays the following options:

• Always On
  • On with Set-top
8) Do one of the following:
  • If you want the power to the hard drive to remain on, highlight the Always On option.
  • If you want the power to the hard drive to turn off one minute after the set-top box turns off, highlight the On with Set-top option.
9) Press SELECT.
10) Press the EXIT key to exit the General Settings menu.

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" my DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 2-2.5 minute before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Nice feature of the New Cox Passport IPG, will certainly save both power and wear on the External HDD, by not having it spinning 24/7 anymore.

post #285 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I just had my first unexpected Re-Boot. I changed the Hard Drive Power Management to "Always On" switched the channel from CNN to MSNBC (a SDV channel) and the DVR Re-Booted.

Currently with this setting the DVR is NOT Buffer the last two channels.

Currently DVR is NOT Buffering two channels in either setting, Going to reboot manually.
After manual reboot, now buffering two channels. I attempted to recreate the unexpected Re-boot, but could not.

DVR still buffers the last two channels even when viewing a Recorded Program. Cool.

post #286 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" the DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 1 minute before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Nice feature of the New Cox Passport IPG, will certainly save both power and wear on the External HDD, by not having it spinning 24/7 anymore.

I wondered about this setting while resetting my series this morning. I left it set to "always on," but with this clarification, i'll switch it to "on with settop."

Thanks!

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #287 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM

I wanted to alert people on here that the new guide will NOT remember your HD settings, you will need to go to SETTINGS/Press A for more options, in PREFERENCES, look up AUDIO/VIDEO FORMATS and select the ones that will work on your tv.

(had to cut and paste from my other thread as my current box: 4240 is still holding on to SARA(

-Rob

Ghost Adventures Crew Supporter
post #288 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGAC View Post

I wanted to alert people on here that the new guide will NOT remember your HD settings, you will need to go to SETTINGS/Press A for more options, in PREFERENCES, look up AUDIO/VIDEO FORMATS and select the ones that will work on your tv.

(had to cut and paste from my other thread as my current box: 4240 is still holding on to SARA(

-Rob

My conversion DID keep Audio and Video output settings the same as they were. But only 5, out of 30, Scheduled Recordings transferred, so it would seem not all conversions behave exactly the same.

post #289 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

So far I have not seen any on-screen messages regarding the external HDD.

I have disconnected and reconnected the Ext HDD, even hot-plugging with the DVR on, No message, But the Recording space indicator does show that it is being used.

post #290 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

I had a hell of a time figuring out why it didn't remember my settings. I called last night and got cut off, she probably thought I was stupid. I tried doing the wizard thing and it wasn't available. Through searching, I figured it out.

I hope my 4240's won't lose their settings. this is the grey DVR they gave me, 8003 I think.

-Rob

Ghost Adventures Crew Supporter
post #291 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far I have not seen any on-screen messages regarding the external HDD.

I have disconnected and reconnected the Ext HDD, even hot-plugging with the DVR on, No message, But the Recording space indicator does show that it is being used.

What does the SATA tab on 1999 show? I don't have an external, so mine just shows "Authorized".

Cheers, Dave
post #292 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta View Post

When I set up our 8300HD after the upgrade, I did essentially the same thing you did, and I know I saw some confusing behavior that I think was related to the fact that I had deleted the future recordings (left over from SARA) that were showing up as individual recordings rather than series. The box seemed to "remember" that the show had previously been set for recording and had been canceled, because the icon that I thought meant "recording conflict" showed for some of those shows in the guide.

When I thought I had finished setting up all the series (about 12) I wanted, I checked and the Series Manager had multiple entries for one or two shows. I just selected and removed the settings I didn't want.

Sorry I can't offer a specific suggestion, but I believe Dave's advice above is good. Just wish I could have "recorded" everything I did to make the transition, because I believe some of it didn't go according to the manual. All is OK at this point.

I remember similar strange behavior too, but I wasn't sure what I remembered, so I didn't mention it. If some programs have the icon though, that should mean there is a series recording scheduled. I think those phantom series might be the cause and I don't remember them being in the Series Manager at the time. I deleted all mine and started over with a clean slate before I did anything else.

Cheers, Dave
post #293 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My conversion DID keep Audio and Video output settings the same as they were. But only 5, out of 30, Scheduled Recordings transferred, so it would seem not all conversions behave exactly the same.

Same here Bryan. I did get an unexpected reboot too and so have some others,, but I don't remember what I was doing, it was not the power management though.

Cheers, Dave
post #294 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

What does the SATA tab on 1999 show? I don't have an external, so mine just shows "Authorized".

Mine shows just "Authorized" also, nothing more.

But DVR AVFS shows:
  • AV Size and AV Capacity: 1076.4 GB
  • AV Used Space: 567.5 GB
  • AV Free Space: 508.9 GB

post #295 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine shows just "Authorized" also, nothing more.

But DVR AVFS shows:
  • AV Size and AV Capacity: 1076.4 GB
  • AV Used Space: 567.5 GB
  • AV Free Space: 508.9 GB

Interesting, never looked at DVR AVFS.

Cheers, Dave
post #296 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what CALLID on Channel 1995 in Phoenix is for?

I assume Caller ID History? I called Cox and they did not know (of course).

I have Cox Digital Phone and Caller ID, It says to call Cox and Subscribe? Is this a future service or available now?

post #297 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" the DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 1 minute before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Whoa! Slow down there a moment. The eSATA chipset does NOT have this capability. The only thing the eSATA port can do is shut down when the STB is powered off. Most likely, your particular Hard Drive is sensing the port status and shutting down on it's own due to a power saving feature of the drive.
I would say that this might be a particularly bad scenario if the drive doesn't sense the power status and then never spins up to record a program while it's off.

vegggas
post #298 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what CALLID on Channel 1995 in Phoenix is for?

I assume Caller ID History? I called Cox and they did not know (of course).

I have Cox Digital Phone and Caller ID, It says to call Cox and Subscribe? Is this a future service or available now?

Yes, Its for caller ID once Rovi is fully deployed. When someone calls your Cox phone line, it pops up the caller ID on the screen, as long as you subscribe to the Caller ID service on your phone. The individual channel is there to manage your settings, options, history, etc.

vegggas
post #299 of 597 Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 PM

A very nice guide indeed. My mother complained it was a bit small (and it is). Personally, the HDD setup controls will be nice to keep noise down in a bedroom or two.
post #300 of 597 Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Hi I'm legally blind and cannot use the passport gui because it a bad combonation of colors for my eyes. I've talked to more than one tech that's told me there is patch coming out to allow color schemes but the supervisor I talked to yesterday told me there is not and will not be a patch to allow color changes. I need the color scheme option so I can use my dvr and see whats on tv without pain. Bright lights hurt my eye so I use car tenting over my hdtv & monitor to be able to use them. Thanks for your help and time
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page