SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 597 Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990ktm View Post

On another note, one thing about the Passport software that I can not figure out is this: When browsing the channel guide, how do you return the guide back to the channel that is currently tuned? With the SARA software, I could hit the "C" button and it would return the guide back to the active channel so I could then continue browsing the guide in the opposite direction; however, the only way I can find to do this now is to close the guide and then re-open it. I know this is minor thing - I just happened to like that feature.

Yeah, two key-strokes instead of one. Nothing major in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 597 Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
1990ktm, Monday we had some weirdness in both our 8300 and the 8240HDC due to the power outage. This is also Cox Cleveland (Lakewood). The 8300 reset the audio volume way, way low and the 8240 made the TV very unhappy about the type of video it was being sent. (Y Pb Pr)
Booting each unit got things back to normal.

Kevin
post #453 of 597 Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

1990ktm, Monday we had some weirdness in both our 8300 and the 8240HDC due to the power outage. This is also Cox Cleveland (Lakewood). The 8300 reset the audio volume way, way low and the 8240 made the TV very unhappy about the type of video it was being sent. (Y Pb Pr)
Booting each unit got things back to normal.

Did you loose any previously recorded shows? My 8240 had to reboot just because I had to unplug it to move it from the basement to the upstairs. Other than the corrupted shows, everything else appears to be fine with the box, although, I have not had much time to play with it. It was not until I set it up in my kids room that I noticed the previously recorded shows were giving me the "playback error." I agree with Domino that the recordings are gone forever, but I might call COX tech today just to see what they have to say about it. By the way, I see you are in Lakewood - I am over here in River.
post #454 of 597 Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
No, I played some of the older recording this week.

Did you do a forced re-boot. holding the power button when plugging in the AC power?

(we got 7 or more inches of wet snow this morning and my wife had to go to R.River to the dentist early this AM)

Kevin
post #455 of 597 Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Our Living Room 8300HD running Passport Echo 3.1.085 on Cox San Diego frequently either "locks" up or the video jumps in/out of sync. A reboot of the box solves the problem for a week or two, then it reappears. Also, we often have trouble viewing the OSG more than one or two days ahead - everything else says "No Data". A reboot also solves that. Also, more than occasionally, the sound of a program stops for a few seconds.

This is the third box that has exhibited the same problems, including an 8240HDC in our bedroom. The first living room box that was problematic eventually "died" (the internal hard disk was clicking and the box continually rebooted). We assumed that the lockups and other problems were due to a failing hard drive but the replacement suffers the same problems. This one appears to have a good HD but continues to be problematic.

A factor that may apply is that the LR box is connected through a NAD t785 AVR via HDMI. But the BR box is directly connected to the TV via HDMI.

Any suggestions?

Be seeing you!
post #456 of 597 Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Anybody have any info on when Phoenix will get the newer (black) HD-DVR model?

An in-store rep said 'probably about 6 months' for Trio to hit here, back in very late December. But maybe the DVR itself will hit sooner?
post #457 of 597 Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

Anybody have any info on when Phoenix will get the newer (black) HD-DVR model?

An in-store rep said 'probably about 6 months' for Trio to hit here, back in very late December. But maybe the DVR itself will hit sooner?

The new DVR (8642/8652) is only being offered by Cox as part of the "Plus Pak" so far. I don't think the Passport IPG works on this DVR. Careful of what you wish for. Complaints abound about the new DVR with the Trio IPG.

[BTW, is Cox's whole home "Plus Pak" using the 8642HDC DVR, or is it using the 8652HDC DVR? Not much difference between the two.]
post #458 of 597 Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks Domino...

It's ridiculous that in 2011, we can't get a friggin' HD-DVR that just plain works. I've had HD cable since 2000-2001, and they still can't get it right? WTF?

And actually, I think it worked better back then.
post #459 of 597 Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Domino...

It's ridiculous that in 2011, we can't get a friggin' HD-DVR that just plain works. I've had HD cable since 2000-2001, and they still can't get it right? WTF?

And actually, I think it worked better back then.

Lack of DVR RAM, and less than brilliant DVR firmware writers, IMO. Think about it: If you were a software engineer, would you settle with writing firmware/IPGs for DVRs, or look for a real job? I rest my case!

[BTW, my 8240HDC with Passport is quite slow, but is otherwise quite adequate for my needs.]
post #460 of 597 Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a section of the diagnostic pages that will tell what signals are SDV and what signals are not? If so, what page and what line? I've been looking at the page titled "SDV" and nothing jumped out at me. Thanks.

[Passport Echo on a 8240HDC]
post #461 of 597 Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Is there a section of the diagnostic pages that will tell what signals are SDV and what signals are not? If so, what page and what line? I've been looking at the page titled "SDV" and nothing jumped out at me. Thanks.

[Passport Echo on a 8240HDC]

Not that I have found. SARA did not list which were SDV either, only the total number of SDV channels.

You should attempt to get Cox SD to note in the channel line-up which channels they are. Point as an example to Cox AZ where they list them with a single (*) asterisk, in the PDF.

http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...hoenixarea.pdf
* Requires a two-way capable device and CableCARD rental or a digital receiver to view these channels.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #462 of 597 Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Lack of DVR RAM, and less than brilliant DVR firmware writers, IMO. Think about it: If you were a software engineer, would you settle with writing firmware/IPGs for DVRs, or look for a real job? I rest my case!

[BTW, my 8240HDC with Passport is quite slow, but is otherwise quite adequate for my needs.]

My main problem with the current generation of DVR's are the extremely limited HDDs. 160gb is ridiculous. And Cox apparently feels the need to ruin external HDD storage at every possible turn. I record one HD sports event like NBA, MLB, NHL, or NFL game, and I'm in danger of losing shows, which I don't even have many of to begin with.
post #463 of 597 Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My main problem with the current generation of DVR's are the extremely limited HDDs. 160gb is ridiculous. And Cox apparently feels the need to ruin external HDD storage at every possible turn. I record one HD sports event like NBA, MLB, NHL, or NFL game, and I'm in danger of losing shows, which I don't even have many of to begin with.

I hear ya. I'm constantly in the 80% plus of used HDD space on my 8240. I've erased many shows without watching because I needed the space for new recordings. Something has changed, though. My HD recordings used to take up about 5% of HDD space per hour. Now, it's 3%-4% per hour. OTA bit rates have dropped from 12-18 Mbps to 11-15 Mbps. Disadvantages aside, that helps with increasing the number of programs I can record. That, along with my increased utilization of "My Primetime" free VOD, and I'm existing with a 160GB HDD. I sure would like at least 500GB, though.
post #464 of 597 Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

My main problem with the current generation of DVR's are the extremely limited HDDs. 160gb is ridiculous. And Cox apparently feels the need to ruin external HDD storage at every possible turn.

Not sure how they have ruined it. Be lucky that Cox allows external storage. There are other Cablecos that block the eSata port on their DVR's

I have successfully used external storage for years with no issues. For less then $100 you can add over a 100 hours of HD recording The only issue at this point is for Passport users with 8240's you can't add a drive because it won't format. With users that had a external drive before the Passport "upgrade" like me the external drive works fine. From what I read here if you have a 8300 you can still add a new drive with Passport and it will format properly. If you a 8240 and want to add a drive take it to the Cox store and get a 8300. There is really no difference between the two.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #465 of 597 Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Not sure how they have ruined it. Be lucky that Cox allows external storage. There are other Cablecos that block the eSata port on their DVR's

I have successfully used external storage for years with no issues. For less then $100 you can add over a 100 hours of HD recording The only issue at this point is for Passport users with 8240's you can't add a drive because it won't format. With users that had a external drive before the Passport "upgrade" like me the external drive works fine. From what I read here if you have a 8300 you can still add a new drive with Passport and it will format properly. If you a 8240 and want to add a drive take it to the Cox store and get a 8300. There is really no difference between the two.

I am sorry, no disrespect, but I have to strongly disagree here. It is attitudes like this that Cox is counting on so they do not have to fix the issue with the 8240HDC. I would be willing to bet either Rovi or Cisco already have an update that does fix it. An anonymous Charter Engineer has already posted Cisco did have a firmware update. Cox will only fix the issue when enough complaints warrant action.

As for the 8300HD having no difference to the 8240HDC, there are notable differences.
  • The 8300HD has significantly less RAM, 512KB vs. 2MB on the 8240HDC.
  • The 8300HD has not been manufactured since July 2007.
  • Every 8300HD will be a used DVR, Rebuilt or just tested, how thoroughly tested??? I am fairly sure they do not test the eSATA port for functionality.
  • 8300HD has onboard conditional access security, 8240HDC has removable security CableCard. (advantage or disadvantage or no difference???)
You can still get a brand new 8240HDC. You will need to be nice at a Cox store and check the manufacture date on the bottom, and perhaps the employee would get the newest hopefully brand new DVR.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #466 of 597 Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

• The 8300HD has significantly less RAM, 512KB vs. 2MB on the 8240HDC.

So what. There is no performance difference. I have used both

Quote:

• The 8300HD has not been manufactured since July 2007.

Another so what. They both perform exactly the same and have the same odds of being defective

Quote:

• Every 8300HD will be a used DVR, Rebuilt or just tested, how thoroughly tested??? I am fairly sure they do not test the eSATA port for functionality.

If you get it home because it is defective then take it back. I know its not optimal. Working in the IT world for 20+ years I can tell you that the chances of a eSATA port going bad are slim and none.

Quote:

• 8300HD has onboard conditional access security, 8240HDC has removable security CableCard. (advantage or disadvantage or no difference???)

The biggest So What?

I too hate the fact that I could not upgrade my hard drive on my 8240 if I wanted to right now. I was just pointing out that there are Cabelcos (Time Warner is one I believe) that do not allow any hard drive expansion. We still do have options, limited, but options none the less.

I will still make my complaint to Cox today.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #467 of 597 Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

So what. There is no performance difference. I have used both.

I disagree, the 8300HD works!

Mine has been working now since the summer of '04 (knock on wood). Touting the size of cache, RAM, etc., is a waste of time because they are both maxed out as far as Cox is concerned and a new unit will be needed to run Trio. The only reason they went to the 8240 was cost, not because it had a larger cache and more RAM. It is newer, but the basic architecture is the same and still dated by anyone's standards.

And listening to Charter and bashing Cox about an update to Passport is also pointless. For one thing, Charter has it's own problems and certainly doesn't provide better service or customer supoort than Cox. Rovi might in fact have a fix for the eSata problem, but that doesn't mean all the changes in the next update are complete and ready to be released. Even if they are, Cox is running a business and eSata users are the least of their worries. There is a workaround, but if people want to be snobs when it comes to cache and RAM size, don't blame Cox.

Cheers, Dave
post #468 of 597 Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not bashing Cox nor have I been being a snob. I am playing consumer advocate here. I am being very persistent and direct with Cox and wishing more would step up to express their concerns.

There is not an unlimited supply of 8300HDs, production has ceased and a certain number of 8300HDs are taken out of service each month due to the expense or inability to repair them. Thus reducing the available inventory each and every month. At some point they will become a scarce commodity, just look at TWC which never did fix the eSATA issue. The 8300HD is rather hard to find in a TWC market.

I also never compared Charter service to Cox service I simply pointed out that there most likely was an available a relatively simple solution.

For those that are satisfied with the status quo and just willing to accept that there is nothing they can do as a consumer to convince Cox to do the right thing, so be it.

post #469 of 597 Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those that are satisfied with the status quo and just willing to accept that there is nothing they can do as a consumer to convince Cox to do the right thing, so be it.

That is the very kind of condescending comment I am talking about. Dealing with what is and complaining to Cox about what isn't is the way I cope with things. Complaining about things here every single time the subject of eSata comes up and hyping the minor differences between the 8300 and 8240 as if one is better than the other is not. But, hey, I usually just ignore these comments, I always just thought maybe was some new worthwhile info. Besides, I haven't bugged you lately and was feeling ornery. Didn't mean to offend, just expressing my point of view.

Cheers, Dave
post #470 of 597 Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

That is the very kind of condescending comment I am talking about. Dealing with what is and complaining to Cox about what isn't is the way I cope with things. Complaining about things here every single time the subject of eSata comes up and hyping the minor differences between the 8300 and 8240 as if one is better than the other is not. But, hey, I usually just ignore these comments, I always just thought maybe was some new worthwhile info. Besides, I haven't bugged you lately and was feeling ornery. Didn't mean to offend, just expressing my point of view.

I have an 8240HDC running Passport. Beside being slow, having a tiny HDD, and unable to format eSATA, it works fine. I'm familiar with its short-comings, and have learned to adapt to the former two problems, while taking Cox at its word that it's working on the eSATA issue.

Hey...baseball starts today!
post #471 of 597 Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an 8240HDC running Passport. Beside being slow, having a tiny HDD, and unable to format eSATA, it works fine. I'm familiar with its short-comings, and have learned to adapt to the former two problems, while taking Cox at its word that it's working on the eSATA issue.

Hey...baseball starts today!

Well, while I also take them at their word, nothing keeps me from continuing to request updates and providing whatever info I get. I also encourage complainers to direct their comments to Cox, nothing said here makes any difference.

Admittedly, I don't care much about eSata because we watch what we record in a timely manner and I don't run out of space. But I just don't understand the consistent commenting about how much better the 8240 is than the 8300 simply because of increased cache and RAM size and that it's newer. None of those things makes any difference in operation as it pertains to Cox, only in technical specs. Right now the solution is to trade for an 8300 until such time as they get Passport fixed and continue to bug them about the status of the fix.

And my comment about Charter was merely to indicate they do not have the best track record when it comes to information, sevice, or support and the information provided was lacking any specifics or a bonafide source. I didn't say the info wasn't true, just that it didn't go far enough.

FWIW, I don't care what anyone posts, I don't moderate any threads, but I am free to offer my take on things too, which is what I did. I didn't intend to offend, but I can see how my comments could be taken that way. maybe I've just been reading these threads too long and it all begins to look the same.

Cheers, Dave
post #472 of 597 Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Yikes... how do you argue with someone who's willing to take a stance against you... simply because you want the hardware that you pay for to work? In a forum designed for people to figure out pros/cons, problems/fixes to the A/V technology of today, no less.

This isn't the debate club, people... you don't have to take an idiotic stance on something, just to play the other side of the argument. For those of you who don't care that it's broken, I'm very happy for you. But some people would like to figure out how to get it working again. In that case, please STFU and let the grown-ups talk.

In short, a piece of A/V hardware has been broken by a company's firmware updates. This is an A/V forum. It will be discussed.
post #473 of 597 Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

SA 8240HDC/Passport Echo

Twice now (on Sunday 4/10 and Monday 4/11) a scheduled recording has started a few minutes late. On Sunday, CSI: Miami was scheduled to record from 10:00pm to 11:00pm. It started at 10:04pm and 10:04 was in YELLOW in the programs recorded area. Same thing occurred on Monday night with Hawaii 5-0. It didn't start until 10:03pm, with 10:03 being in YELLOW in the programs recorded area. There were no scheduling conflicts, nor disc free space issues IIRC. Ideas?
post #474 of 597 Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Me on Facebook: When is Cox going to send out an update to the 8240's that will fix the external drive issue? Since the Passport "upgrade" an 8240 cannot format a new drive

Cox Arizona on Facebook: We have a fix coming tentatively this summer. It's currently in testing phases right now and we will keep everyone posted. Thanks! -Matt

post #475 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM

What audio does the 8240HDC send via HDMI? 2 channel? 5.1?
post #476 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rfreak View Post

It passes whatever the source is.

post #477 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rfreak View Post

Quote:

It passes whatever the source is.

Actually, it will produce whatever the source is, but it sends whatever format the Sync Device (TV) requests in the EDID data HDMI handshake. Almost all displays will request a 2.0 Dolby digital (or PCM stereo compatible) signal. Less than 1% of displays will request anything greater than 2.0 HDMI, even if the tuner will decode 5.1.

vegggas
post #478 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I assume that means if the cable box is hooked to the TV through an AVR, it will send 5.1?

Be seeing you!
post #479 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I assume that means if the cable box is hooked to the TV through an AVR, it will send 5.1?

Only if the AVR is the sync device and not a simple HDMI repeater. Results may vary with this scenario. Best test cases are to check your local HD stations and any premium channels for 5.1 formatted audio.

vegggas
post #480 of 597 Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Actually, it will produce whatever the source is, but it sends whatever format the Sync Device (TV) requests in the EDID data HDMI handshake. Almost all displays will request a 2.0 Dolby digital (or PCM stereo compatible) signal. Less than 1% of displays will request anything greater than 2.0 HDMI, even if the tuner will decode 5.1.

vegggas

Thanks for the explanation. Many of the new TVs have multiple HDMI inputs and an optical output. If 5.1 isn't passed through the TV and out the optical output, then it seems worthless to me to even have the optical output on the TV. Was hoping that the TV could act as the "hub" for everything to connect to. I guess I just have to find out for the specific TV.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page