SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 597 Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Sounds like a bad hard drive to me.

Do you think my XHD is bad? Quite a coincidence. Unless sitting idle for many months caused it to go bad?

I do recall reading about people trying different brands of XHD & building ones for use with the SA 8240HDC & some brands having problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 597 Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Cox Northern VA has updated software allowing eSata drives to work with Explorer 8240 HDC? I tried to connect a WD last year and no go. Would like to give it another try, but don't want to waste my time. When I called tech support at that time, the tech was of no help and had no knowledge.
Rick
post #543 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrb View Post

Does anyone know if Cox Northern VA has updated software allowing eSata drives to work with Explorer 8240 HDC? I tried to connect a WD last year and no go. Would like to give it another try, but don't want to waste my time. When I called tech support at that time, the tech was of no help and had no knowledge.
Rick

Try asking for help and the beta update by posting on Cox NOVA Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CoxNova

or, If you don't want to post on Facebook, create a profile at DSLR Forums and ask CoxTech1: http://www.dslreports.com/profile/621911 to look into it for you. CoxTech1 is located in Virginia and is very helpful.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #544 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcrack View Post

Do you think my XHD is bad? Quite a coincidence. Unless sitting idle for many months caused it to go bad?

I do recall reading about people trying different brands of XHD & building ones for use with the SA 8240HDC & some brands having problems.

Connect the HDD to a PC and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...upid=606&sid=3

Could also be a bad power supply.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #545 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Try asking for help and the beta update by posting on Cox NOVA Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CoxNova

or, If you don't want to post on Facebook, create a profile at DSLR Forums and ask CoxTech1: http://www.dslreports.com/profile/621911 to look into it for you. CoxTech1 is located in Virginia and is very helpful.

Thanks. I'm on DSL forum and will go that route. Rick
post #546 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Connect the HDD to a PC and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...upid=606&sid=3

Could also be a bad power supply.

Thanks Bryan,

I was going to try to run some type of diagnostic on the XHD but, lack a SATA port on my iMac. I do have Windows XP running as a virtual machine when I (rarely) need it. Have FW 800 & FW 400 & of course, USB ports. The WD My DVR Expander only has a SATA port.

It sounds like at least two people, you & kingpcgeek, think the symptoms are that of a failing HD.

Just seems very coincidental to me plus I seem to recall another thread on this web site discussing different XHD for DBRs & the issue of of freezes & possible pixellation.
post #547 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bryan,

I was going to try to run some type of diagnostic on the XHD but, lack a SATA port on my iMac. I do have Windows XP running as a virtual machine when I (rarely) need it. Have FW 800 & FW 400 & of course, USB ports. The WD My DVR Expander only has a SATA port.

It sounds like at least two people, you & kingpcgeek, think the symptoms are that of a failing HD.

Just seems very coincidental to me plus I seem to recall another thread on this web site discussing different XHD for DBRs & the issue of of freezes & possible pixellation.

Find a friend then with Windows and eSATA and have them run the testing. Many laptops now have an eSATA port.

With HDD prices over twice what they were a few months ago, I am not going to recommend purchasing a different HDD, just yet.

Any chance of having a spare power supply lying around for testing?

post #548 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My cable Co, Charter, announced with great fanfare it was moving from SARA to Passport Echo back on Aug. 2. Mailers, ads on TV, newspaper. Hasn't happened for me. A tech was out yesterday to replace my 99% dead modem and I asked what was going on with the Passport inauguration. He said "by the end of next year". "Lots of bugs".

Just as well. The few features of Passport probably evened out by the lost feature of "copy to vcr (dvdr)", although I could have gotten used to that by copying material when I wasn't watching TV.
post #549 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

My cable Co, Charter, announced with great fanfare it was moving from SARA to Passport Echo back on Aug. 2. Mailers, ads on TV, newspaper. Hasn't happened for me. A tech was out yesterday to replace my 99% dead modem and I asked what was going on with the Passport inauguration. He said "by the end of next year". "Lots of bugs".

Just as well. The few features of Passport probably evened out by the lost feature of "copy to vcr (dvdr)", although I could have gotten used to that by copying material when I wasn't watching TV.

That's a bummer, very few bugs here (except eSATA on the 8240HDC) with Cox, some issues tuning SDV (Channel Temp Unavailable), and for me lots of Audio glitching on LiveTV, but not so much on recordings.

Passport is a nice upgrade, But now I have a TiVo too and like it quite a bit, No Audio glitches with the TiVo.

post #550 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Find a friend then with Windows and eSATA and have them run the testing. Many laptops now have an eSATA port.

With HDD prices over twice what they were a few months ago, I am not going to recommend purchasing a different HDD, just yet.

Any chance of having a spare power supply lying around for testing?

Western Digital - My Book AV 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA DVR Expander
Model: WDBABT0010HBK-NESN
$169.99 Amazon
$119.99 Best Buy online free S&H but out of stock

I think this one was $100-120 @ Amazon several months ago?

I called WD & spoke to a tech despite my warranty being up. I wanted to know if the problems I have could be a bad drive. Yes.

He recommended trying to reformat the drive again. I will try this later tonight or tomorrow, Not sure if I'll get the option since it was already formatted by the DVR may just get the option to use it or not. He also said to try to find a computer with eSATA port & run the WD software & also Windows Ck disk to fix any problems. Don't know anyone in Phoenix with a PC with eSATA though.

I'm wondering about the eSATA cable? I can buy a new one for a few $.
Syba SY-CAB-ESA e-SATA to e-SATA Cable (21-Inch, Black)
$2.80
$2.80*+*Free Shipping
In Stock. Sold by WOWparts

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB-ES...1656844&sr=8-3

Not sure where I'd get another power supply except through WD.

I did once have an XHD with a bad power supply & cord & the symptoms where that it was not recognized by my iMac or it appeared & then disappeared. New power supply fixed it.

I am still wondering if anyone else has this same problem, not sure how many are following this thread. I also wonder how many people with SA 8240 HDC & the beta software are using an XHD successfully & how many are using WD My DVR Expander 500GB, model WD500FO32. I double checked my records & I used this XHD for 1 year & 10 months b4 changing DVRs & losing the XHD ability. It is strange that it would work flawlessly & then sat unused & powered down for 10 months & now all of the sudden it is bad.
post #551 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM

It’s cheapest from the manufacturer but also out of stock!

$109.99
Out of stock
*Receive free standard shipping (UPS Ground) on purchases over $100 (excluding tax and shipping charges) at the WD Store.
http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...catid.13094600
post #552 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Welcome to the hysteria that is the hard drive shortage of 2011 because of the flooding in Thailand.

I bought a laptop for $875 last week. My boss liked it and wanted one. I ordered his yesterday and it was $1025. Talked to my rep at CDW and he said all PC pricing is jumping because of hard drive shortages. They were told it would affect all of 2012. I read another article that said it should be over in January.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #553 of 597 Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Western Digital - My Book AV 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA DVR Expander
$169.99 Amazon
$119.99 Best Buy online free S&H but out of stock

I think this one was $100-120 @ Amazon several months ago?

I called WD & spoke to a tech despite my warranty being up. I wanted to know if the problems I have could be a bad drive. “Yes.”

He recommended trying to reformat the drive again. I will try this later tonight or tomorrow, Not sure if I’ll get the option since it was already formatted by the DVR may just get the option to use it or not. He also said to try to find a computer with eSATA port & run the WD software & also Windows Ck disk to fix any problems. Don’t know anyone in Phoenix with a PC with eSATA though.

I’m wondering about the eSATA cable? I can buy a new one for a few $.
Syba SY-CAB-ESA e-SATA to e-SATA Cable (21-Inch, Black)
$2.80
$2.80*+*Free Shipping
In Stock. Sold by WOWparts

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB-ES...1656844&sr=8-3

Not sure where I’d get another power supply except through WD.

I did once have an XHD with a bad power supply & cord & the symptoms where that it was not recognized by my iMac or it appeared & then disappeared. New power supply fixed it.

I am still wondering if anyone else has this same problem, not sure how many are following this thread. I also wonder how many people with SA 8240 HDC & the beta software are using an XHD successfully & how many are using WD “My DVR Expander” 500GB, model WD500FO32. I double checked my records & I used this XHD for 1 year & 10 months b4 changing DVRs & losing the XHD ability. It is strange that it would work flawlessly & then sat unused & powered down for 10 months & now all of the sudden it is bad.

How about asking a few neighbors for assistance? I would be happy to help you out if you'd like to send me a PM. I live near Ahwatukee, just a thought.

I've got a used 320GB Seagate Barracuda and an enclosure I know that works, I could do a swap while I test your Ext HDD out.

Just my opinion: I would stay away from the Western Digital - My Book AV 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA DVR Expander Model: WDBABT0010HBK-NESN, I have seen too many complaints of that Ext HDD losing connection with the DVR, Most likely due to the Ext HDD powering down.

post #554 of 597 Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Hi. I was following this thread and decided to contact Cox AZ (I live in the Phoenix area) for the beta firmware upgrade for my 8240HDC so I could use the WD DVRExpander I just bought. After much cajoling, Cox finally upgraded my DVR. When I plugged in the ExtHD the screen came up asking to reformat (Yea! finally). However when I looked at my DVR listings, it showed No Saved Shows! I panicked!! I decided to test this so I unplugged the Ext HD and restarted the DVR. All the programs I saved were there--WHEW! It seems that when I plug in the ExtHD the DVR only shows what's on the External -- not the internal.

Does anyone know how I can get the ExtHD to work in conjunction with the Internal Drive? Obviously, I'm not going to unplug the eSATA cable every time I want to see a show I recorded on the internal drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rick
post #555 of 597 Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Hello all, Newbie here.
SA8300HDC external eSata HDD Charter Communications
After change from SARA to PASSPORT ECHO, intermittent pixelation, and screen freezes, along with odd DVR reboots PLUS an interesting situation.
After eSATA format and drive recognition, the dominant drive becomes the EXTERNAL drive instead of the drive in the SA8300. Buffer records on the external 24/7. AND when the SA intermittently reboots it loses the external drive and I have to reformat again for it to be recognized. (Thus losing all that was recorded on it.)
Anyone else notice this? Can I somehow change the dominant drive back to the SA internal? Any and all other solutions and ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #556 of 597 Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer parts of both questions above, the "dominate" drive, or the drive the recordings will be written to will always be the HDD with the most available free space. So until the External HDD fills up and has less available space than the Internal HDD, all recordings will be written to the Ext HDD. So in that sence the drives do "work in conjunction" with each other. The capacity of both drives do add up to a larger total. If you disconnect the Ext HDD and reboot the DVR, It will record back to the Internal HDD. Connecting and disconnecting the Ext HDD should have no effect on the DVR Listings of recordings, and recordings should not disappear from the List. Those recorded to the External however will not play until the Ext HDD is reconnected.

I have never experienced an issue when the DVR looses connection with the Ext HDD, or has ever needed to be reformatted, In 2 years just a few glitches here and there. I also am not using a Green HDD or any type of enclosure, or pre-built DVR Expander.

This is also the way it worked with the SARA software.

Question for ned.redrocks, what versions of Passport and PowerTV is your DVR running?

post #557 of 597 Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Bryan, When Charter was using SARA, the external drive was listed separately and was NOT the drive that buffered/cached the chosen non-recording channel. SARA did NOT buffer 24/7. Only when the cablebox part of the DVR was ON did it buffer/cache. As a matter of fact, under SARA, a few minutes after turning OFF the SA, it would go to sleep and the Hdd would shut down, only to occasionally powerup to check and see if recordings were scheduled. If no recording scheduled, the internal Hdd would again power down. And cached ONLY when the SA was turned ON. This no longer occurs. Currently BOTH internal and external Hdd run continuously 24/7 and the external, instead of the internal, caches an hour of tv on the last channel watched OR the channel set to turn to when turned on, and caches even when the SA is turned off.
The cache seems to also cause pixelation and picture stuttering if I don't change the cached channel and then change back.
Question: Because the external is now the cache-dominant drive, could my problem possibly be with the eSATA cable not being able to handle the amounts of data sent back and forth from SA internal, to external, and back to internal before going to the TV itself? Would a bigger gig-per-second cable, ie 6g/sec instead of 3g/second possibly fix my problem?
Again, any and all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #558 of 597 Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 AM

CRAP.... IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...AAAAAaaaaargh....
Between bedtime last night and RIGHT Now SA8300HDC lost connection to my ext. eSATA.
It's no longer the cache-dominant drive and when I go to MY DVR, choose a program to playback, a window opens and reads
"We're sorry this show is currently unavailable
If an external storage device is connected..."
yadda yadda yadda
Two plus weeks... gone, it seems.
I'll try a faster rated cable and if that doesn't fix, then I replace my ext eSATA drive.
....and go from there.
This bytes! Never had ANY of this with SARA. GUI not as sexy as Passport.
post #559 of 597 Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tested the Ext HDD on a PC using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools and run an Extended test on the HDD to see if the HDD passes? Trying a different cable would be a cheap test, but I doubt that is the problem. Make sure the cable is seated into the DVR securely, Mine slips out very easily if the DVR is moved.

Also check your DVR HDD Power Management settings. Best choice would be "Always On" But you might try setting it to "On With Set-Top" and see what happens.

Where did you get the info/idea that with SARA the "cache-dominant drive" was the Internal? If that was the case, if a recording was started say 30 min into the show, would the first 30 min then be recorded to the Internal and the rest to the Ext? or would the entire recording end up on the Internal only? or would the DVR transfer the first 30 min cache to the External. I have never heard this theory.

post #560 of 597 Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM

With PASSPORT, and external HD recognized, it's activity light is ALWAYS blinking, showing that the cache is always filling the external, EVEN when the DVR is off. When SARA was around, the activity light ONLY blinked when it was recording. When just on, not recording, the external's activity did not blink, even though the internal was caching. I have no idea how a cached show was sent to the external when chosen to save as a recording. The activity light is the key.
post #561 of 597 Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Just responded to "Matt" about the beta testing. We'll see if I get a reply. Got a setup I just tried on a 8240HDC, which of course failed. Called Cox and spoke to a lady who told me they don't support DVR expansion drives. Hope I get a reply to test...
post #562 of 597 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottyGee View Post

Just responded to "Matt" about the beta testing. We'll see if I get a reply. Got a setup I just tried on a 8240HDC, which of course failed. Called Cox and spoke to a lady who told me they don't support DVR expansion drives. Hope I get a reply to test...

Post on Cox's Facebook page that you need a firmware update. It worked for a friend of mine here in AZ. Cox Arizona Facebook

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #563 of 597 Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a new report on DSLR forums that Cox AZ and Cox Cleveland are starting to distribute the 8642HDC running Rovi Passport. It appears the 500GB HDD is only formatted to 160GB and that the 8642HDC has some bugs.

Any more info would be great, as in will it accept an Ext HDD?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r267...-DVR-Cable-Box

post #564 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Post on Cox's Facebook page that you need a firmware update. It worked for a friend of mine here in AZ. Cox Arizona Facebook

Did that as well. Hopefully they'll respond!
post #565 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM

You know what would be cool... Somebody figuring out how to upgrade the internal hard drive on our SA 8240HDC units.

I would imagine a WD Caviar Black would probably fly. It works external so I would presume it would work internally as well.

Is the internal in these units an IDE or SATA?

May involve an image backup of the 160GB drive in the internal bay. CloneZilla, dd, Ghost, etc. may do the trick for successful image copying if there is encrypted disk data on there.

Anybody willing to experiment?
post #566 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejack4 View Post

You know what would be cool... Somebody figuring out how to upgrade the internal hard drive on our SA 8240HDC units.

Except for the fact that you don't own the device, your cable company does. Something goes wrong with the "upgrade" and they charge your some highly inflated price to replace and then cut your cable.

post #567 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't do it, but do you really think they are going to pull apart a returned non-working unit and do a forensic analysis of what went wrong?

No, I would do it because it is just too simple to simply set up an external, but I'm just saying.

Quote:

Except for the fact that you don't own the device, your cable company does. Something goes wrong with the "upgrade" and they charge your some highly inflated price to replace and then cut your cable.

post #568 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Got an email this afternoon that they needed my serial number (even tho it was in the initial email, duh). Said they'd let me know when it was done.

Got home, and for giggles, tried it - BOOM! 98% free space! WHOO!!!!!

It works. Can't understand why they wouldn't give it to everyone. But oh well - glad it's working for us!!!

Special thanks to Bryan_CoxPHX. This never would have happened without you. GOOD JOB!!!
post #569 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

I wouldn't do it, but do you really think they are going to pull apart a returned non-working unit and do a forensic analysis of what went wrong?

No, I would do it because it is just too simple to simply set up an external, but I'm just saying.

Not rocket science, there are seals on the box that show whether it has been opened.

post #570 of 597 Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Meh, easily worked around.

Quote:

Not rocket science, there are seals on the box that show whether it has been opened.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page