SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 597 Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

You're probably right, but that site, and the AZ forum in particular, seem more HSI-oriented (duh), so I didn't see much on TV and the coming software changes. And, if that is an authorized site for feedback, then there should be a prominent link on the Cox site, even if it's limited to broadband.

Personal experience says Cox-Phoenix employees tend to have thin skins,probably because they are not allowed to provide much info. They have participated in the past in this and our local forums, but leave fairly quickly because they can't stand the heat, can't answer many questions,and generally get just as frustrated as we do.

Note on DSLR: "Final disclaimer: This forum is not a replacement or substitute for our official call centers and support web sites."

I did post a thread regarding the Rovi Passport Update, and Cox employees are participating. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r240...SACisco-DVRSTB

Cox can and has terminated employees for posting on forums without Cox's authorization, and I know of two former employees that were. So it is no wonder Cox employees are careful not to post or post anonymously.

BTW: I just received a message that currently PHX is scheduled to start Mid to late June, or July. With North PHX being first.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 597 Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

No doubt about that, but is there any kind of roll-out schedule posted on the San Diego site so people don't wake up one day and find all their season passes gone without knowing why or what to do, etc.? And how about letting foks know what to do if they get the update and didn't get a guide?

No, and no.

I have a neighbor with an Explorer 3100, and he received absolutely no warning from Cox. He woke up one morning, turned on his TV, and there was Passport. He received an automated phone call from Cox warning him of the change the day after he actually got the update. I downloaded a quick guide for him, as he had no clue as to how to navigate Passport. I'm still waiting for any word from Cox about my 8240HDC.
post #93 of 597 Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

No, and no.

I have a neighbor with an Explorer 3100, and he received absolutely no warning from Cox. He woke up one morning, turned on his TV, and there was Passport. He received an automated phone call from Cox warning him of the change the day after he actually got the update. I downloaded a quick guide for him, as he had no clue as to how to navigate Passport. I'm still waiting for any word from Cox about my 8240HDC.

To be fair, they've temporarily turned the power-on channel setting off and the box comes up on channel 100 which has a long rolling Passport tutorial. People who didn't receive the quick guide aren't left completely uninformed.

Basic usage of Passport is not completely counterintuitive, particularly for non-DVR STBs like the Explorer 3100. You press the GUIDE button and the guide pops up; you navigate through it with the UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT buttons and choose a channel to change to with the SEL button. You can get information about what you're watching by pressing the INFO key. All of these things work pretty much the same as in SARA. The use of the A, B and C buttons in the guide is different, but basic operation is pretty much the same. It's not as though those people are left without use of their STB until they can get some documentation for the guide, some of which is provided on channel 100 in any case.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #94 of 597 Old 05-29-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

To be fair, they've temporarily turned the power-on channel setting off and the box comes up on channel 100................some of which is provided on channel 100 in any case.

That's all very true and a great use of the Power On Channel option. I agree that Passport is fairly straight-forward and most customers won't have too many problems getting used to it. We tend to highlight the one person out of thousands who didn't get a notice or guide in the mail and overlook the things Cox does do right. I suspect that if I wasn't a participant here, I'd have a better appreciation for their efforts. Personally, I can't think of a better cableco, certainly not the TWC I've used. I don't apologize for complaining though because I think it could be so much better with minimal effort.

Cheers, Dave
post #95 of 597 Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No--I'm not trying to say that people aren't right to complain about not getting proper warning or some documentation in the mail before the switch. I'm just trying to put things into perspective. It was beginning to sound as if people who didn't get the quick guide in the mail were left with an STB that they couldn't use at all, when that's hardly the case. Cox should strive to make sure that everyone receives warning and that pamphlet.

"
" -- hookbill
post #96 of 597 Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched the channel 100 loop and there's some good stuff in there. One thing is currently screwed up--the loop says that there are video tutorials on channel 1411, which is a tutorial-on-demand channel. They ain't there.

The loop also tells you where to find more information about the guide online.

"
" -- hookbill
post #97 of 597 Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been meaning to change the "Power-on channel" but after looking at the user guide and what's really displayed on my My Preferences, I do not have the Power-on Channel option. I'm in the San Diego market, wondering if it is just me or everyone has this "non" feature.

huh?
post #98 of 597 Old 05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post

So I've been meaning to change the "Power-on channel" but after looking at the user guide and what's really displayed on my My Preferences, I do not have the Power-on Channel option. I'm in the San Diego market, wondering if it is just me or everyone has this "non" feature.

As was mentioned earliy, that option has been temporarily disabled in favor of powering on to channel 100 to inform folks of the changes. The option should come back once they are confident folks have gotten the word.

Cheers, Dave
post #99 of 597 Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Ahh I see. Well I should read the whole thread. Sorry about the double question. Thanks for the info.

huh?
post #100 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 AM

how do you perform the manual reboot on this passport system?
post #101 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasturbtec View Post

Any particular reason you don't want to just unplug, wait 30sec, plug back in and force the reboot? Wait until the time is displayed to turn on.

If there is a button or remote sequence used to reboot, I've never used one with SARA.
Older versions used pressing "VOL+", "VOL-" and "INFO" buttons on the DVR/STB all at once to manually reboot. Anyone else?

post #102 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 AM

Speaking of missing options, what happened to Copy to VCR?

Hask
post #103 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Hask

I think it is gone!!! I will miss it the Most. Does the HDMI connection disable the other video outputs with Rovi Passport?
The thing I loved about the "Copy to VCR/DVD" is it operated seamlessly in the background, even during the daily 3am pause/channel refresh cycle.

Since Rovi and Macrovision are one in the same, I would assume copy protection is stricter than it was with SARA. Just my own logic.

Quote:

Yes, when all is said and done, SARA will be a thing of the past, and probably not be missed once folks get used to the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Maybe Yes, Maybe No. I will surely miss the dedicated unattended "Copy to VCR/DVD" I have not seen any documentation that this is an option with Passport. As I used this function often to archive recorded content to a DVD-R HDD for editing and burning to DVD.

If indeed the function is gone, I will have to resort to outputting the content to both TV and DVD-R HDD simultaneously, thus no background playback, while watching another program, live or recorded. This is assuming the HDMI does not disable the other outputs. I have my fingers crossed.

post #104 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

It was never a feature of Passport Echo. Former SARA users have complained about the lack of it in TWC's Digital Navigator.

In the past it was possible and the analog outputs remained active with HDMI attached. It was not as elegant as SARA--if I recall correctly SARA output to the VCR through its second set of analog outputs and you could continue to use the VCR normally while it was doing that. With Passport it was kind of awkward--you could record what's in the PIP window on the analog outs, or you could put it in SD mode and record from S-Video (something weird about the composite when you did that). Someone should play around with this and report it back here. I might have, but I don't own an analog video recorder.

I sympathize, though I haven't owned an analog removeable media video recorder in over a decade (since the year that TiVo launched). My primary DVR is a TiVo S3--if I want to archive something, I can copy it (in HD) to my computer over my LAN. (Copy protected items can't be moved that way, but by FCC regs they have to be marked with equivalent protection when output via an analog connection--Macrovision Colorstripe, CGMS-A, etc--and your recorder shouldn't be able to copy that either).

"
" -- hookbill
post #105 of 597 Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasturbtec View Post

In older versions, you'd press and hold the POWER button (on the DVR, not the remote) until "boot" appeared in the LEDs. This is called a "warm boot". A "cold boot" is unplugging the unit and plugging it back in.

EDIT: Curious as to what displays on the screen during the bootstrap (familiar Aptiv Passport boot screen), I tried that procedure and it worked fined. Takes several minutes to come up.

"
" -- hookbill
post #106 of 597 Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Does anybody know how to get to the diagnostic page?

With the old SARA guide on my SA 4240HDC all you had to do was press the select button until the mail light came on, then press the info button, but that doesn't seem to work with the new guide.
post #107 of 597 Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary61 View Post

Does anybody know how to get to the diagnostic page?

"Search this thread" is your friend (pulldown at the righthand side of the thick gray bar above the top post on the page). Use it now to search for "diagnostic".

Please search before asking--if we keep answering the same questions over and over the thread will get choked with repetitive information.

"
" -- hookbill
post #108 of 597 Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to take the time to post you might as well answer the question.

The process to enter the diagnostic menu should be a sticky included in the first few posts anyway.

Quote:

To get to the multi-page Diagnostics screen, simultaneously press and hold the front panel's (not the remote's) SELECT and EXIT buttons till "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. To exit press Ch + or Ch -. I forget but I think that pressing EXIT will get you back into it until you power the STB off.

post #109 of 597 Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

If you're going to take the time to post you might as well answer the question.

I strongly disagree. The unasked question that I answered was "what's the proper way to find out how to enter the diagnostics" . Now that I answered that, he should try it. We all learn best through doing.

"
" -- hookbill
post #110 of 597 Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Is there a way to boost up the volume of the box itself, set that, then go back to controlling the volume of the TV? I know on the old software, this was possible by going into the settings screen. However, it seems to be gone on this software.

EDIT: by the way, I'm on a non-DVR box, and followed the guide posted in post #7 in this thread. The "Audio Level" listed in that guide is unlisted in my settings.
post #111 of 597 Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No--I'm not trying to say that people aren't right to complain about not getting proper warning or some documentation in the mail before the switch. I'm just trying to put things into perspective. It was beginning to sound as if people who didn't get the quick guide in the mail were left with an STB that they couldn't use at all, when that's hardly the case. Cox should strive to make sure that everyone receives warning and that pamphlet.

Well, today (Sunday, 6/06) I received TWO emails and an automated phone call reminding (?) me of a 6/09 update. Still no mailing, however. [Note: 8240HDC in Encinitas, CA.]
post #112 of 597 Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

hello,
8240 box updated last night! ( it says on the welcome screen that ALL boxes will get update by June 9 )
To say that it is better than the old software is to compare a horse to a car for cross country travel -- yeah it's not perfect, but whoa ! how much better!!!!
The problem is now I feel ripped off by Cox for paying for such shiiity old software for SO long.....
Bernie
post #113 of 597 Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found a sequence of keys on the remote control that gets a user into the 8240HDC diagnostic pages? Also, I have read that there is a diagnostic section around Page 990 of the 8240 in Cox San Diego. I cannot locate. Anyone?
post #114 of 597 Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone found a sequence of keys on the remote control that gets a user into the 8240HDC diagnostic pages? Also, I have read that there is a diagnostic section around Page 990 of the 8240 in Cox San Diego. I cannot locate. Anyone?

Don't know about a remote sequence, michaeltscott says there is not one.

The process to enter the diagnostic menu should be included in the first few posts. I will post it if someone will verify this proceedure.

Quote:

To get to the multi-page Diagnostics screen, simultaneously press and hold the front panel's (not the remote's) SELECT and EXIT buttons till "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. To exit press Ch + or Ch -. I forget but I think that pressing EXIT will get you back into it until you power the STB off.

post #115 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No.

I've been playing with the Passport Echo diagnostic pages on my 8240HDC for a while, and here's what I found:

There is a diagnostic page on 990 - sort of. If I power up my 8240HDC and enter "990" on the remote, the channel readout on the screen flashes "???" and the DVR's display shows "---". Same as any other non-existent channel.

So, I went to the front panel of the DVR, and (with power on) held in "SELECT" and "EXIT" together for about 5 seconds. "DIAG" appears on the DVR front panel. Pressing "EXIT" on the front panel brings up the (very nice) diagnostic pages. You may return to your chair now, as the rest may be accomplished via remote. You navigate through the pages with the navigation arrows on the remote. You can return to normal DVR function by hitting almost any key on the remote. Watch TV, play-back a recording, etc. But you can return to the diagnostic pages at any time by going to Page 990! That is until you power off the DVR. Then you must go through the "SELECT"/"EXIT" routine again.

So, Page 990 is for the diagnostic pages on the 8240HDC running Passport Echo after you have loaded the diagnostics via the front panel. I could find no sign of a "mini diagnostic page." Still looking for remote control commands to load the diagnostic pages.
post #116 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, Page 990 is for the diagnostic pages on the 8240HDC running Passport Echo after you have loaded the diagnostics via the front panel. I could find no sign of a "mini diagnostic page." Still looking for remote control commands to load the diagnostic pages.

So channel 990 becomes the alternative to getting off you butt and pressing EXIT on the box to get back into the multi-page diags.

I would think that the mini-diags would have just enough information to be useful to phone CSRs.

"
" -- hookbill
post #117 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So channel 990 becomes the alternative to getting off you butt and pressing EXIT on the box to get back into the multi-page diags.

I would think that the mini-diags would have just enough information to be useful to phone CSRs. They were a good way to check signal strength with very little effort, but they're not a tremendous loss.

"
" -- hookbill
post #118 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. But for someone who is disabled and wants to check HDD free clusters/sectors after each recording deletion in a multiple recording deletion session, using the remote is so much easier.
post #119 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Cox Phoenix, Arizona Deployment Schedule (as of June 22, 2010)

Q: When will the new Interactive Program Guide (IPG), Passport, be available in Scottsdale, Arizona
A: At this time, we are tentatively scheduled to begin launching the new program guide beginning on 8/03/10.
This date is still subject to change based on a number of factors.

Q: will it be all of the Phoenix area, or section by section
A: The Scottsdale service area is scheduled to be the first area to receive the new program guide when it is launched.
Both North and South will launch at the same time. The rollout of the new program guide will be based on the type of equipment as well.

Q: Do you have a link to the new IPG User Guide?
A: At this time, you can view information on the new program guide at our San Diego area's Web site.
We do not have any information on the new program guide on our Phoenix Web site at this time.

Q: what is the link for the SD area IPG
A: http://www.cox.com/support/digitalca...0for%20DVR.pdf

Q: Which equipment will get the new program guide on which date
A: At this time, we have not announced which equipment will get the new program guide on which date.
post #120 of 597 Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. But for someone who is disabled and wants to check HDD free clusters/sectors after each recording deletion in a multiple recording deletion session, using the remote is so much easier.

Yeah--I did that for several months when I got my first DVR running Passport 5.5 years ago (late 2004). You can see one of my reports of that on the hdtv.forsandiego.com archives here.

Now I have TiVo and if I want to calculate bit rate of a recording I just press the INFO button while viewing a recording description and it gives me more info, including the file size .

"
" -- hookbill
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page