SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > SA/Cisco 8*** series DVR's Tips and tricks using Cox's Passport Echo software
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 12:43 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta View Post

Edit -- I assume if AMC shows reruns of Mad Men at some point, I will be able to slip it back into the mix, since I believe that's what Dave meant in his comment in the other thread -- if a show is in the guide, even if only a rerun, it's possible to select it and set it up for a recording of all new episodes.

Yes, Mad Men is on Monday night at 8:30. All you have to do is select it for recording and set it to "First run only". You may not see it flagged any way int he guide or listed in the scheduled list, but it it there in the series manager list.

I wish that list was sorted alphabetically and I wsih "First run only" was the default. If anyone finds options for that, please let me know, I'm still reading.

Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 05:16 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

I'm confused. My list of scheduled recordings (Guide/"B") displays from today (Thu) through next Wed, as it always did.

Well my neighbors Guide after conversion, was missing Mon and Tues' Scheduled Recordings.

But after some thought, It was probably because there were no episodes, (period - new or repeats) those days due to the World Series and Tues night Election Coverage.
Mondays - "Lie To Me" is a good example.

With such a great Search Feature, It would be so nice to be able to enter a Program Title as a "Placeholder" so that next time that Title appeared in the guide It would automatically schedule it to record. Does TiVo even do this?
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 05:36 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Does TiVo even do this?

Yes, AFAIK Tivo still has Wish Lists.
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 07:52 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:

... I wish that list was sorted alphabetically and I wsih "First run only" was the default. If anyone finds options for that, please let me know, I'm still reading.

Thanks for the hints on Mad Men.

Your ideas make sense, and I think a user could manage additional options like that, but I have looked around and haven't seen them available here.

As I think you know, but perhaps worth mentioning for the benefit of others-- I just figured it out today, while I was helping a neighbor -- the order in that Series Manager list corresponds to the recording priorities. With the proper button actions ("key presses?"), you can move an item up (higher priority) or down (lower priority).

I have been looking for other options --things that would give the users additional abilities to customize the box's behavior, as you have suggested -- and while it's a little disappointing that we don't get an extra degree of control, I think they didn't want to complicate things too much for the average viewer. (Looks like they wanted to keep the user's manual under 400 pages.)
vegggas's Avatar vegggas 08:08 PM 10-28-2010
In the " A -Saved Shows" tab, you can use the "Keep Longer" function to prioritize the recorded show for automatic deletion instead of by date (oldest first), you can specify shows that you want to be automatically deleted to make space, by moving them down lower in list.
In the "C -Series Manager" tab, you can use the "Series Recording Priority" function to set the priority of shows in case of conflicts. The higher in the list, the more priority it has against a show that is lower in the list. In a conflict, the show that's lower in the list gets the "anti" circle with a line through it icon.

vegggas
vegggas's Avatar vegggas 08:12 PM 10-28-2010
You can make a wish list by using the search function with keywords. Type in your keyword or keywords and if enough letters are used with no matches, it will say "To record these (and future) shows that match "****" press the ( red record button)". You now have a "wish list".
You can even set it to shows or movies.
vegggas
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 08:22 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

You can make a wish list by using the search function with keywords. Type in your keyword or keywords and if enough letters are used with no matches, it will say "To record these (and future) shows that match "****" press the ( red record button)". You now have a "wish list".

Excellent! I almost missed the notice, not used to reading up there yet.

I just did it for "Lie To Me" that won't show iup anywhere in the guide until next Tue. Very cool, I thought someone said we didn't have that option. Glad they were wrong or I heard wrong.

BTW. I'm glad we Phoenicians could get this thread moving again, you know we always have questions. Oh, and your First Post has already been a real time saver.
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 10:47 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:

vegggas

Awesome, Thanks vegggas. I can't wait to get the New Guide on my own DVR.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 09:22 AM 10-29-2010
Quote:

Well, as one who never has major problems using SARA, I do appreciate the update for the added features and ease of doing some things. It doesn't come without its own problems though, but so far those have been minor, preview window freezing, etc. I have not had a freeze/reboot though and I have one of the oldest 8300s in Phoenix (someone reported a reboot in the other thread and thought it might be a memory limitation).

Truth be told, so far the biggest hassle has been finding series in the Series Manager because there is no sequence. But, I don't expect to have to use the Series Manager all that much once my series are all set.

Another minor nit is always having to change 2 of my primary recording options; "First run only" and "Until manually erased". But it's not that big a deal and they did make it a lot more UF (user friendly) to schedule recordings, extend recording times, etc.

It's also taking some time to get used to the Saved Shows list, though I did just find that Page Up/Down goes to newest/oldest. I tend to watch older recordings first, so this will help me do that quickly.
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 09:32 AM 10-29-2010
Happened again last night in the Rangers-Giants game. Once again, I couldn't get it back to live by pushing "LIVE". I wasn't recording on both tuners this time, so I could use channel down/up to quickly get it back in sync. Don't know what triggered the delay this time, but this is going to be annoying when watching sports events.
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 01:35 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:

vegggas

Quote:

Well I tried the Wishlist Keyword search out, (using it as a placeholder for a program that was not currently in the Guide) and yes it does work, and allows you to select NEW only, however it did not give me an option to select a specific channel, or whether I wanted it in HD or not.

So in many cases, It is going to return and schedule to record both the SD and HD channels, unless you caught it within the 6-7 day window and then modified that scheduled recording.

Still a very cool Feature, Just needs to add the ability to select HD or Channel Number.
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 01:42 AM 10-30-2010
Given the SA8300HD has much less memory than the SA8240HDC, I wonder if the Passport and OS Versions are Exactly the same for both DVRs?

The 8300HD I am testing has the following:
  • Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp

DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 08:29 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:

Still a very cool Feature, Just needs to add the ability to select HD or Channel Number.

I'm going to find out what happens. I set up a recording for "The Event" on Mon, Nov 8, using this search function. I should see next Tue what goes into the Scheduled Recording list, ch 012, ch 712 or both. Since I assume it willl be both, I believe I will end up with a 3-way conflict because I also set "Chuck" to record. My guess is I'll end up with an entry for "Chuck" on ch 712, Tthe Event" on ch 012 and "The Event" on ch 712 with the "No Record" icon. I will then have to manually cancel the recording for ch 012 and that willl change the one for ch 712.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 09:05 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:

Given the SA8300HD has much less memory than the SA8240HDC, I wonder if the Passport and OS Versions are Exactly the same for both DVRs?[/list]

Like there was with SARA, I would expect a difference between the HD and HDC models because of cablecard support, if anything. It's possible Passport handles both models with the same version though.
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 10:05 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:

I'm going to find out what happens.

When I was setting up my 8300HD to skip the channels I wasn't interested in, I noticed something I thought was unusual: if I set it to skip channel 2 (CSPAN), it also skipped channel 124, which is also called "CSPAN". This is the only case I know of, where there are two channels with exactly the same name (no -HD or whatever on one of them). Something to watch for -- I haven't ever set a recording on (either) CSPAN (hard to believe, I know... ) but I think this anomaly might well show up on occasions other than skipping channels.

I didn't want to skip 124, so I just had to leave 2 in the mix. Not a big problem, of course, I just was surprised to see two channels appear in the "skipped" list at the same time -- like Frick & Frack, you can't have one (or get rid of one) without the other.

Edit -- I just realized, two other channels like that are 8 and 94, both named "KAET". I used to use 94 because it was analog and I could count on the SAP working -- doubt that that's the case anymore -- no time to check right now.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 11:49 AM 10-30-2010
Good catch, Ron, CNNH 38/738 is another.

And it does, it affects recording. If you select anything on either 2 or ch (8/94, 38/738, etc.), both will be set to record and potentially cause conflicts.

Edit: Disregard. There is only one recording and it doesn't cause a conflict.

EDIT/EDIT: I meant disregard this whole post, there is no ch 738, and the others are simple remaps of the same 2 channels.
domino92024's Avatar domino92024 02:36 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

When I was setting up my 8300HD to skip the channels I wasn't interested in, I noticed something I thought was unusual: if I set it to skip channel 2 (CSPAN), it also skipped channel 124, which is also called "CSPAN".

But aren't channels 2 and 124 exactly the same channel just mapped to two different locations?
domino92024's Avatar domino92024 02:56 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

Given the SA8300HD has much less memory than the SA8240HDC, I wonder if the Passport and OS Versions are Exactly the same for both DVRs?

• Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp

My 8240HDC uses Passport Echo 3.1.084 and PowerTV 6.20.72.2sp. I think the .084 to .085 Passport change was a minor update, with the PowerTV version being major.

What is your ResApp (Passport) date? Mine is 8/12/2010. My OS (PowerTV) version date is 09/11/2009. Yours?
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 03:13 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

But aren't channels 2 and 124 exactly the same channel just mapped to two different locations?

Not sure what you're getting at. Channels 2 and 124 will have the same content, so I'm sure if you asked the CSPAN people themselves, they would certainly say that Cox's 2 and 124 are the same "channel". I'm not sure if they're the same RF frequency, if that's what you're getting at, and that is certainly possible. But none of that is the point: I just wanted to keep 124 in the lineup, since it's next to 125 and 126, the other CSPAN channels, so that will be easy to remember, and I don't need 2 in the lineup, because that would be redundant.

What I wanted to do (keep 124, skip 2), I couldn't do, with the current firmware and Cox's channel assignments. I hope they can fix this sometime in the future, but I'm sure they have much more serious problems to work on first.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 04:33 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

Not sure what you're getting at. Channels 2 and 124 will have the same...........I hope they can fix this sometime in the future, but I'm sure they have much more serious problems to work on first.

I think he's referring to my comment about recording and he's right, both get flagged, but there is only one physical channel and recording. I doubt they will fix it, especially if you don't let them know about it. We know they can map a channel to seperate channel numbers, but I don't know about IDs.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 05:01 PM 10-30-2010
One thing I need to get used to is what happens when I join a recording in progresss. I'm used to watching the recording and not the buffer. When it came to the end, it stopped. Now it just keeps right on going. My wife was 5 minutes into Medium before she realized Survivor was over and called me in from the bedroom (I watching Smallville).

The other things is when I reach the end of the 7-day guide and I'm halfway into the next 7-day period of "No Data's".

One final thing is Parental Control. They had blocked me out from making changes, but apparently that block only last for 15 minutes or something. Something lit a light overnight, so I tried it again the next day. Turns out they did activate Parental Control, but they used my account PIN to do it, so I was able to disable it, the 4-yr old little gal can watch whatever she wants again.
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 06:07 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

Good catch, Ron, CNNH 38/738 is another.

738 CNNH HD?? I do not have 738 CNN Headline News HD, Do You? Is it in the new Guide?
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 06:24 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

738 CNNH HD?? I do not have 738 CNN Headline News HD, Do You? Is it in the new Guide?

Don't get so excited.

I meant disregard that whole post, there is no ch 738, I simply got ahead of myself when I was checking Ron's post out.
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 06:36 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:

My 8240HDC uses Passport Echo 3.1.084 and PowerTV 6.20.72.2sp. I think the .084 to .085 Passport change was a minor update, with the PowerTV version being major.

What is your ResApp (Passport) date? Mine is 8/12/2010. My OS (PowerTV) version date is 09/11/2009. Yours?

• Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085 - Sep 13 2010 16:13:36
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp - May 22 2009 12:19:36

OS Version seems a bit old. Maybe that is the newest version the 8300HD can manage with available RAM.
After my 8240HDC is converted I will post those too.
domino92024's Avatar domino92024 12:30 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

Not sure what you're getting at. Channels 2 and 124 will have the same content, so I'm sure if you asked the CSPAN people themselves, they would certainly say that Cox's 2 and 124 are the same "channel". I'm not sure if they're the same RF frequency, if that's what you're getting at, and that is certainly possible.

Yes, the same RF. Cox merely maps that position to two different "channels."

Quote:

What I wanted to do (keep 124, skip 2), I couldn't do, with the current firmware and Cox's channel assignments. I hope they can fix this sometime in the future, but I'm sure they have much more serious problems to work on first.

For sure that "problem" will disappear when Cox drops its analog tier (soon.)
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar Bryan_CoxPHX 05:13 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

For sure that "problem" will disappear when Cox drops its analog tier (soon.)

I have seen several posts saying Cox made an agreement to continue Analog broadcasts for 3 years from the date of the digital transition. Do you have a source?

Meaning Cox would continue Analog (at least the local broadcasts, depending on how you interpret the language) until spring/summer 2012.

Quote:

http://www.cox.com/support/cable/transition_faqs.asp
"Cox has committed to converting the digital signals to analog so that any TV hooked to cable can receive the broadcast stations for at least three years after the deadline."

With CoxAZ using SDV on 157 channels they could basically continue Analog as long as they wanted, just adding more to SDV. I would expect Cox to deploy SDV in more markets. Cox New Orleans is currently in process.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 09:09 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

I have seen several posts saying Cox made an agreement to continue Analog broadcasts for 3 years from the date of the digital transition. Do you have a source?

Meaning Cox would continue Analog (at least the local broadcasts, depending on how you interpret the language) until spring/summer 2012.

With CoxAZ using SDV on 157 channels they could basically continue Analog as long as they wanted, just adding more to SDV. I would expect Cox to deploy SDV in more markets. Cox New Orleans is currently in process.

Actually, they agreed to keep analog going until 2012 unless they give everyone a receiver/converter. Cableco's have always been able to discontinue analog service by simply providing a receiver for every TV in the household at no added cost. That was always too expensive, but I believe there are some fairly cheap digital to analog converters on the market now that may make it cost-effective for them to do just that and recover all that bandwidth. Also, as more customers get new TVs with QAM tuners, the need for tuners is reduced. I have 3 TVs in bedrooms that use QAM, no receiver, for just the clear channels. That is one reason why Cox is still cheaper for me than DirecTV. If I needed 3 more receivers, that would up my bill by $25.50 and negate the Cox advantage.

As for SDV, you probably weren't around the boards then, but when SDV first became a reality there was a school of thought that said almost all channels should go SDV. Analyses have shown that less than 40 channels are live on any one node at any given time. Therefore, with SDV there is really no need to build nodes capable of passing many more channels than that. Node traffic has always been a hassle because cableco's have always passed every channel 24/7. SDV changed all that.

In fact, I believe it goes even further than that. If I understand what I've been told about On Demand, it all comes (or well come) from 2 central locations on the Cox network. These days, On Demand servers don't care if they are in Phoenix or Omaha. All that's needed is a connection and it's all accessible.
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 11:11 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

... There is only one recording and it doesn't cause a conflict.

That's correct, it can just look like a conflict, because if you check the guide it can appear that three channels are going to be recorded at the same time: 8, 94, and 705, for example, but the box "knows" that 8 and 94 are the same, so what shows up in the guide on three recordings at the same time only requires two tuners.

When I checked it out this morning, 705 was being recorded because it had been selected in advance in the guide, and I tuned to channel 8 and used the Record button to start recording that channel. The guide then showed the current programs on all three channels in red, as we now expect, and it was happy to let me do PIP any way I wanted: 705 in the main screen, and either 8 or 94 in the inset, for example.

But there was one small difference. When I had channel 94 in full screen and pressed the Record button to try to stop the recording, there was no "Stop the recording" option in the menu: just the usual options to record the program, or record the series, that you would expect to see if you were not currently recording the channel. I had to go over to channel 8 to get that "Stop" option. So it looks like some of the Passport Echo software modules are clued into the fact that 8 and 94 are identical, but at least one of them isn't.

Bottom line: as Dave said, no real recording conflict results from this instance of Cox's double-mapping. For most users, the only effect will be the annoying inability to skip the channel numbers they want to skip.
Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta's Avatar Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta 11:18 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

... For sure that "problem" will disappear when Cox drops its analog tier (soon.)

But the channels I was dealing with -- 2, 8, and 94 -- are not analog, they are the digital versions that the 8300HD box tunes. In fact, there isn't an NTSC channel 94 on Cox cable any more.
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ 11:21 AM 10-31-2010
Quote:

Bottom line: as Dave said, no real recording conflict results from this instance of Cox's double-mapping. For most users, the only effect will be the annoying inability to skip the channel numbers they want to skip.

I don't know how often you check to see what's on CSPAN, but you can still tune to the channel even if you blocked it from the guide. You can then use Info-Info to scroll through what's on all day, etc.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop