DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 2096 Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oh well, better luck next time I guess.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2096 Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

0x412

Definitely didn't help the dropout situation.

If this is the audio dropouts, it's going to be hard to have a software update fix something that's is from the uplink encoders.

A.K.A. VOS
post #453 of 2096 Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a new hr24-500 and replaced my two hr20s and got deca installed for 200 with the commitment. I thought that wasnt too bad a deal..Are the Pioneer avr's better with the drop outs than the onkyo's I need to go to 1.4?
post #454 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 AM

The following problem with my HR20, that I am going to describe, will probably not be believed by most of you, but it does happen. I live in the Chico-Redding, CA, DMA. The local cannels here are not in HD off of the D* sats. Chico and Redding are 70 miles apart.

Two of the channels, ABC and PBS, are broadcast from Redding. Two of the channels, FOX and CBS, are broadcast from Chico. One channel, NBC, is in between but closer to Chico. Three of the channels have decided that they can broadcast the same logical channel numbers on two frequencies, to get better coverage. Channel 7-1, ABC, is broadcast on 34 and 7 with 7 being the weaker of the two. Channel 9-1, PBS, is broadcast on 9 and 18 with 18 being the weaker of the two. Channel 12-1, CBS, is broadcast on 43 and 36 with 36 being the weaker of the two.

When the channels are synced, they show very strong signal strength. However, when watching a channel that is broadcast on two frequencies, the picture often pixilates and drops out. There is no way of telling, on the HR20, which channel is actually synced. I can switch my viewing to the tuner in the TV and see what's going on. The HR20 is synced to the weaker of the two signals, even when the signal strength shows 100%.

Mike
post #455 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaxj View Post

The following problem with my HR20, that I am going to describe, will probably not be believed by most of you, but it does happen. I live in the Chico-Redding, CA, DMA. The local cannels here are not in HD off of the D* sats. Chico and Redding are 70 miles apart.

Two of the channels, ABC and PBS, are broadcast from Redding. Two of the channels, FOX and CBS, are broadcast from Chico. One channel, NBC, is in between but closer to Chico. Three of the channels have decided that they can broadcast the same logical channel numbers on two frequencies, to get better coverage. Channel 7-1, ABC, is broadcast on 34 and 7 with 7 being the weaker of the two. Channel 9-1, PBS, is broadcast on 9 and 18 with 18 being the weaker of the two. Channel 12-1, CBS, is broadcast on 43 and 36 with 36 being the weaker of the two.

When the channels are synced, they show very strong signal strength. However, when watching a channel that is broadcast on two frequencies, the picture often pixilates and drops out. There is no way of telling, on the HR20, which channel is actually synced. I can switch my viewing to the tuner in the TV and see what's going on. The HR20 is synced to the weaker of the two signals, even when the signal strength shows 100%.

Mike

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.
The HR20 OTA tuners will tune to a channel's actual frequency from a database. If this database is in error, then the channel doesn't tune in.
The OTA tuner in the HR20s aren't the greatest, so it sounds like the signals it is tuning to aren't that good/strong/lack of multi-path.
I've got a mountain between my local towers and my antenna, and my signals are very weak. My TV will pick up channels that my HR20 won't.

A.K.A. VOS
post #456 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.
The HR20 OTA tuners will tune to a channel's actual frequency from a database. If this database is in error, then the channel doesn't tune in.
The OTA tuner in the HR20s aren't the greatest, so it sounds like the signals it is tuning to aren't that good/strong/lack of multi-path.
I've got a mountain between my local towers and my antenna, and my signals are very weak. My TV will pick up channels that my HR20 won't.

VOS,

Can you explain why a signal that shows 100% would pixilate. I believe there is a bug in the firmware that causes the weaker of the two signals to sync when viewing the channel.

Mike
post #457 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VOS,

Can you explain why a signal that shows 100% would pixilate. I believe there is a bug in the firmware that causes the weaker of the two signals to sync when viewing the channel.

Mike

What is giving you this "100%"?
Digital readings are bit-error rates, not true signal "levels", but if you're getting zero errors, then the signal is great.
My levels/rates bounce all over the map because of multi-path, which is the curse of digital OTA.
There is no way two channels are "syncing" in the receiver. The tuner has a 5 MHz bandwidth for each channel, so 34 & 7, or 9 & 18, or 43 & 36, aren't/can't be tuned at the same time.
To find out a bit more about what is going on, I think you'd need to have the HR20 record a program, while you are able to monitor either or both channels with other tuners that will tune/show which RF channel they're tuned to.
Then you might be able to tell which actual RF channel the HR20 is being tuned to from the DirecTV database.

Some of this may be in the station itself, as my PBS is known for this and my others also have problems in the Sacramento DMA, simply getting their signals to the towers.

A.K.A. VOS
post #458 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:

What is giving you this "100%"?
Digital readings are bit-error rates, not true signal "levels", but if you're getting zero errors, then the signal is great.
My levels/rates bounce all over the map because of multi-path, which is the curse of digital OTA.
There is no way two channels are "syncing" in the receiver. The tuner has a 5 MHz bandwidth for each channel, so 34 & 7, or 9 & 18, or 43 & 36, aren't/can't be tuned at the same time.
To find out a bit more about what is going on, I think you'd need to have the HR20 record a program, while you are able to monitor either or both channels with other tuners that will tune/show which RF channel they're tuned to.
Then you might be able to tell which actual RF channel the HR20 is being tuned to from the DirecTV database.

Some of this may be in the station itself, as my PBS is known for this and my others also have problems in the Sacramento DMA, simply getting their signals to the towers.

VOS,

The 100% comes from "Menu->System Setup->Satelite Dish & Antenna Setup->Antenna Setup->Edit Off Air Channels->Antenna Signal Strength".

I didn't say that two channels were syncing at the same time. I said that the weaker of the two signals is syncing.

I have done quite a bit of research on this problem before I did the post.

Mike
post #459 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VOS,

The 100% comes from "Menu->System Setup->Satelite Dish & Antenna Setup->Antenna Setup->Edit Off Air Channels->Antenna Signal Strength".

I didn't say that two channels were syncing at the same time. I said that the weaker of the two signals is syncing.

I have done quite a bit of research on this problem before I did the post.

Mike

So what this means is: the weaker of the two is what the database is using, right?
The OTA tuner users have been complaining about the lack of ability to scan for channels from day one. The database sure isn't perfect, which has forced some to find other zipcodes that have the RF channel they want to tune to.

What does http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx show?

A.K.A. VOS
post #460 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

So what this means is: the weaker of the two is what the database is using, right?
The OTA tuner users have been complaining about the lack of ability to scan for channels from day one. The database sure isn't perfect, which has forced some to find other zipcodes that have the RF channel they want to tune to.

What does http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx show?

VOS,

The Antenna Web data for my address is out of date. It only shows one frequency for each of the problem channels.

Is it possible to get a software engineer at D* to look at this problem?

I have used both Redding And Chico Zip codes with the same results.

Mike
post #461 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VOS,

The Antenna Web data for my address is out of date. It only shows one frequency for each of the problem channels.

Is it possible to get a software engineer at D* to look at this problem?

I have used both Redding And Chico Zip codes with the same results.

Mike

I can't find where to request the database to get updated, "but" one way is to have your stations notify those who keep the database. This is a third party, so a software engineer isn't who would do this.
Much like their guide info, each station is to report changes to the programs, broadcast frequencies, etc. to a company/site, for all programing suppliers to use.
If I can find out "who", I'll post it back here, but for now the best is to let the stations know.

A.K.A. VOS
post #462 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I can't find where to request the database to get updated, "but" one way is to have your stations notify those who keep the database. This is a third party, so a software engineer isn't who would do this.
Much like their guide info, each station is to report changes to the programs, broadcast frequencies, etc. to a company/site, for all programing suppliers to use.
If I can find out "who", I'll post it back here, but for now the best is to let the stations know.

VOS,

I'am fairly certain that the data base contains both frequencies for each channel. The problem is, the firmware is picking the weak channel instead of the strong channel.

Mike
post #463 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VOS,

I'am fairly certain that the data base contains both frequencies for each channel.

Mike

Then antennaweb would show this too.

I guess the real point I'm trying to make here is that it isn't the firmware in the receiver, but the data in the SAT feed that needs to change for you.

A.K.A. VOS
post #464 of 2096 Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Then antennaweb would show this too.

I guess the real point I'm trying to make here is that it isn't the firmware in the receiver, but the data in the SAT feed that needs to change for you.

Antenna Web data is wrong. If the HR20 reports a signal strength for channel 43 and then syncs the channel for viewing on 36, What can the data base do?
post #465 of 2096 Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have ordered a new AVR that unfortunately does not include XM Radio. Instead it is "SIRIUS Radio Ready." My equipment is in a room without a window to the southern sky. XM solved the problem with a Delphi wireless repeater. The XM antenna sits on a window sill is in a room with a window facing the southern sky plugged into a transmitter and a receptor is in the room with my equipment. Perfect.

For some unknown reason, such a solution is no longer available for SIRIUS although the little indoor foldout antenna looks the same. Maybe the plug ends are different. I've ordered the SIRIUS adapter for my new AVR but it hasn't arrived yet. I will closely examine the plug ends when it gets here as the technology should be the same.

Presuming for the moment that there is no wireless repeater solution, SIRIUS offers a Home Signal Distribution Kit – Satellite TV + SIRIUS. This is not unlike what I vaguely recall when I had a D* OTA antenna and the 3 LNB D* dish - before locals here were on the D* satellite in HD. The SIRIUS antenna signal rides down the coax cable by using a 2>1 combiner that is installed after the multiswitch on the 5 LNB Slimline dish. The SIRIUS antenna feed is then split off of the coax by using a 1>2 splitter where my equipment is located. One leg out from the splitter goes to my HR23; the other goes to the SIRIUS adapter near my new AVR.

The Sirius specific combiner and splitter both have each of the two terminasl clearly marked, suggesting that it has been engineered specifically for use with satellite technology.

The HR23 does not use an external BBC.

A long story. All of this seems superficially reasonable. But, the SIRIUS instruction book is © 2007 and much has happened with D* technology since then.

Bottom line. Will this proposed SIRIUS antenna setup not interfere with my current D* setup?

TIA.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #466 of 2096 Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Frequency: 2320 to 2332.5 MHz

This won't be a problem with DirecTV [SWiM & non SWiM].
I wish they called these diplexers and not "splitters".
If these are based off a 2-way splitter, it could cost you maybe 6 dB of SAT signal.

A.K.A. VOS
post #467 of 2096 Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This won't be a problem with DirecTV [SWiM & non SWiM].
I wish they called these diplexers and not "splitters".
If these are based off a 2-way splitter, it could cost you maybe 6 dB of SAT signal.

Many thanks! You are "da man!"

Dana

post #468 of 2096 Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this somewhere: THR22-100

Anybody want to make a guess what the "T" is for?

A.K.A. VOS
post #469 of 2096 Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Saw this somewhere: THR22-100

Anybody want to make a guess what the "T" is for?

"T" = The.

Dana

post #470 of 2096 Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

"T" = The.

Dana

Hope "The" people can write extremely "crisp" firmware, or it too will be a dog.

A.K.A. VOS
post #471 of 2096 Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Can it do all this?

Quote:

* Store all of your recorded programming on one playlist and access it from any receiver in your home
* Get HD-DVR service in every room
* Record up to 5 shows at once
* Have wireless TV compatibility (new TV's coming on the market will be wireless ... no cable of any kind)
* View Picture in Picture (the only DIRECTV receiver that is capable of this)
* Store up to 1 Terabyte on the hard drive, which is approximately 800 hours of SD programming or 200 hours of HD programming and 2x the capacity of the largest capacity HD-DVR (HR24) receiver we currently offer
* Get 72hr look back, which will allow you to go back in time in the program guide up to 3 days in the past and record programs to your DVR that you may have missed
* Compatibility with RVU enabled televisions which require no receiver at all ... no ugly box to look at (starting in mid to late 2011)

post #472 of 2096 Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Can it do all this?

I haven't seen any sign of a THMC30

A.K.A. VOS
post #473 of 2096 Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I called tech support because I have been having a lot of pixelation. Since I'm a long time customer, they offered me a new HDDVR (to replace an old SD Tivo box in a room where I plan, eventually, to switch to HDTV) plus troubleshooting my picture problem and moving my dish to the house (from the barn 160' away.) I have been an "unsupported" MRV customer, and I decided just to let them install it and become "supported".

Well the tech climbed up on my roof on a rainy and windy day, but couldn't find a good spot due to trees. Then he checked the alignment of my dish and found a 6% improvement in signal strength. He offered to dig a trench to run a new wire, since I told him my current 4 wires had been damaged by a tractor. I suggested he test what's already there before doing all that extra work, and he found that two were perfectly fine (and only one is needed.) So he installed the SWM device at the dish and set everything up. He was VERY knowledgeable.

Everything worked fine.

Now to the best part.

The tech said he wanted to replace my other HR20-700 because he said they have a history of causing problems. No charge since I have the support package, or whatever it's called. Both my new boxes were HR24-100. (By becoming supported with MRV, my new HR24 can be used and I don't have to worry about running an ethernet cable to it.

It gets better. He gave me his phone number and asked me to call him directly if I have any problems. He said he would come up and fix them, and he has to travel about 90 miles, btw. He said any subsequent calls to DirecTV for support within the next 90 days hurts his rating and his pay.

Even better. He told me that there are 4 levels of techs and that he is the highest level (level 4.) Furthermore, based on customer ratings, the number of subsequent calls for support within that 90 day window, and other factors, the tech are rated. He said he is ranked in the top ten of the ~1300 DirecTV techs in the US.

This was a remarkable experience, and you can bet I will not be losing that phone number!

EDIT: The pixelation? Gone, and the fix was a combination of adjusting the dish, using a "good" (undamaged, existing, high quality RG6) wire to the house, and last but not least the removal from the system of a piece of RG59 coax I had foolishly used in the DIY setup.
post #474 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 06:29 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I called tech support because I have been having a lot of pixelation. Since I'm a long time customer, they offered me a new HDDVR (to replace an old SD Tivo box in a room where I plan, eventually, to switch to HDTV) plus troubleshooting my picture problem and moving my dish to the house (from the barn 160' away.) I have been an "unsupported" MRV customer, and I decided just to let them install it and become "supported".

Well the tech climbed up on my roof on a rainy and windy day, but couldn't find a good spot due to trees. Then he checked the alignment of my dish and found a 6% improvement in signal strength. He offered to dig a trench to run a new wire, since I told him my current 4 wires had been damaged by a tractor. I suggested he test what's already there before doing all that extra work, and he found that two were perfectly fine (and only one is needed.) So he installed the SWM device at the dish and set everything up. He was VERY knowledgeable.

Everything worked fine.

Now to the best part.

The tech said he wanted to replace my other HR20-700 because he said they have a history of causing problems. No charge since I have the support package, or whatever it's called. Both my new boxes were HR24-100. (By becoming supported with MRV, my new HR24 can be used and I don't have to worry about running an ethernet cable to it.

It gets better. He gave me his phone number and asked me to call him directly if I have any problems. He said he would come up and fix them, and he has to travel about 90 miles, btw. He said any subsequent calls to DirecTV for support within the next 90 days hurts his rating and his pay.

Even better. He told me that there are 4 levels of techs and that he is the highest level (level 4.) Furthermore, based on customer ratings, the number of subsequent calls for support within that 90 day window, and other factors, the tech are rated. He said he is ranked in the top ten of the ~1300 DirecTV techs in the US.

This was a remarkable experience, and you can bet I will not be losing that phone number!

EDIT: The pixelation? Gone, and the fix was a combination of adjusting the dish, using a "good" (undamaged, existing, high quality RG6) wire to the house, and last but not least the removal from the system of a piece of RG59 coax I had foolishly used in the DIY setup.

Glad things worked out for you and you're happy now.

BTW, on the tech giving you his phone number, they like to do that since if you call DirecTV with another problem within 90 days the tech gets a charge back (lose money) so by you calling him directly that won't happen.
post #475 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tech said he wanted to replace my other HR20-700 because he said they have a history of causing problems.

Not sure how correct this is. I think it's the HR20-100, and not the HR20-700, which I have two of and are working well.
"I know" that engineering pleaded to have the HR20-100 removed from the DECA/MRV list of receivers, but marketing repeatedly refused.
Only the HR20-100 requires a unique setup for adding DECA.

A.K.A. VOS
post #476 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Not sure how correct this is. I think it's the HR20-100, and not the HR20-700, which I have two of and are working well.
"I know" that engineering pleaded to have the HR20-100 removed from the DECA/MRV list of receivers, but marketing repeatedly refused.
Only the HR20-100 requires a unique setup for adding DECA.

Tail....Please wag dog
post #477 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Tail....Please wag dog

A.K.A. VOS
post #478 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Marketing tell engineering whats best.
post #479 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Marketing tell engineering whats best.

"Ah", thank you.

A.K.A. VOS
post #480 of 2096 Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM

Happens at my company. Marketing is in control of operations, and it's the stupidest thing ever.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page