DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 2103 Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
got my first HR24 today: it does seem a bit faster even on channel changes

now it is downloading new software 03BA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2103 Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

got my first HR24 today: it does seem a bit faster even on channel changes

now it is downloading new software 03BA

WooHoo....
The software is needed because the "base version" is so featureless.

A.K.A. VOS
post #33 of 2103 Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

help on serial adapter please?

RTI RS232 adapter works on HR21Pro

trying a Keyspan USB serial adapter : connected to rear USB port of new HR24 and rebooted but no response

TIA
post #34 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Trickplay might improve, but it's hard to tell someone who has had things working fine to spend the $99+$49 for the upgrade.
I have it and it works great, but my Cat5 worked as well as the software did at that time too.
There are some good network folks than have looked into this and the DECA does have a feature that ethernet doesn't have. It's a bit over my head, so I'll have to give the "blond speak" version.
DECA has the ability to send a request that will override other packets. This is how the trickplay can improve. Something about layers/stacks/buffers.
If ethernet is FedEx ground for packets, this it an overnight delivery for changes.

I think I see -- if you have managed switches (few home users have these) and know what type of network traffic to prioritize you could accomplish the same thing with a home nework. I'm guessing MRV traffic stays on the DECA network only and it is built in which packets to prioritize/buffer.

The portion of my home network the Directv receivers is gigE with cat 5e/6 running between most of my switches (yeah, I know these receivers are fast ethernet only) and MRV has been working pretty flawlessly for me except the trick play is worse than it is watching a show locally. I called yesterday to schedule an upgrade to DECA next friday (to keep my MRV) so I'll see how it improves. I decided to upgrade even though it is working because they agreed to throw in another HD receiver for free which I'll throw in my garage. Plus it will be nice to have some of my equipment upgraded. I don't know much about satellite technology, but I'd like to have the later stuff .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I have 3 Direct HHR23 receivers, my dish has 5 LNBS and has the SWM feature as I only have 1 line going from the dish to my switch.

I would like to buy an OTA, from some googling it seems as though most people recommend the Channel Master 4221 or the 4228 (I think this one is larger).

1. Is the Channel Master 4221 or 4228 compatible with my Directv HR23? If not, what should I be using?

2. What about this AM21 thingy, do I require this and is it used in Conjuction with the Channel Master 4221 or 4228? is there anything else I need to buy? Amplifiers, etc?

2. Will I now need a new line from the OTA to my SWM Switch? I'm hoping the OTA just connects to the dish and no other hardware install is needed.

3. How will I then see OTA channels from my HR23 receiver, will it be picked up in the guide and can I record these channels using my HR23?

4. I am actually in Montreal (Pincourt, right near Montreal), so I would be doing this for local channels offered in my area and hopefully across the border too. My drivign Factor to do this is all the Hockey Playoff games I missed since the games are often blacked out on Directv, I just want to be abel to turn to CBC to watch a game when it is on.

Thank you.
post #36 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

help on serial adapter please?

RTI RS232 adapter works on HR21Pro

trying a Keyspan USB serial adapter : connected to rear USB port of new HR24 and rebooted but no response

TIA

I got an Iogear USB to DB9 adapter and it works great: you need a null modem adapter

don't forget to reboot the box so it will see the adapter
post #37 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

so now that I got everything working, some initial comments on the HR24:

pros:

--box runs nice and cool: there is a small fan on the back which runs but I cannot hear it

--menus and guide are noticeably faster: channel changing is a bit faster as compared to HR21 Pro

--front panel is quite nice: no more mechanical buttons: there is now a 1080p indicator LED

cons:

-- no rear IR port

My HR21 Pros are starting to fail (HD failures): the 2 large fans on the rear seem to draw a lot of dust into the stb which probably hastens the failure: the HR24 seems like a great replacement stb: with the Iogear adapter, it is a drop in replacement for my HT
post #38 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mark, what did you mean when you said "there is now a 1080p button?" I'm getting my HR 24 later today, and I want to make sure that I set it up right. Do I have to do something to make sure I get 1080p programming?

Thanks,

Barry
post #39 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd2 View Post

Mark, what did you mean when you said "there is now a 1080p button?" I'm getting my HR 24 later today, and I want to make sure that I set it up right. Do I have to do something to make sure I get 1080p programming?

Thanks,

Barry

on the front panel there are several resolution LEDS you can toggle through: the HR24 has an additional indicator (rather than button) for 1080p

I will fix my earlier post
post #40 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question I just thought about. I have ordered DECA, but I'm currently using my network for MRV. the install for DECA doesn't happen until next Friday. Will I lose MRV until then? I would hope my call to them means it stays. Guess I'll find out today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The Free Beta MRV period has ended. Time to pay

A.K.A. VOS
post #42 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Free Beta MRV period has ended. Time to pay

Was that in response to what I wrote, or just a general comment? I guess I'll find out if mine is still on when I get home. If not - another call to the CSR.

post #43 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

Was that in response to what I wrote, or just a general comment? I guess I'll find out if mine is still on when I get home. If not - another call to the CSR.

Just an announcement.

A.K.A. VOS
post #44 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick question I just thought about. I have ordered DECA, but I'm currently using my network for MRV. the install for DECA doesn't happen until next Friday. Will I lose MRV until then? I would hope my call to them means it stays. Guess I'll find out today.

Well it still became disabled, and my first attempt at talking with a CSR was useless. He said he couldn't get it enabled. Well first he said it was impossible, and I told him it was (following the instructions from the dbstalk site). Then he said he couldn't get it to work. I'll try another one, or maybe the email method.

post #45 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well it still became disabled, and my first attempt at talking with a CSR was useless. He said he couldn't get it enabled. Well first he said it was impossible, and I told him it was (following the instructions from the dbstalk site). Then he said he couldn't get it to work. I'll try another one, or maybe the email method.

If you've got one of the older packages, it's going to be hard. I just switched to one of the newer ones and sent an email. All good for me.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #46 of 2103 Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

If you've got one of the older packages, it's going to be hard. I just switched to one of the newer ones and sent an email. All good for me.

I don't have one of the legacy packages. Third CSRs the charm. She knew exactly what I was talking about and said it will be working in 5 minutes... We'll see. I sent an email anyway just in case because I don't feel like calling again tonight.

post #47 of 2103 Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm in one of the test markets for MRV. When it went national recently, I didn't lose anything.

For some odd reason, the On Demand downloads are faster when I'm connected to my home network running the ethernet cable directly into my HR24 versus DECA.
post #48 of 2103 Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstead View Post

Guys I have 3 Direct HHR23 receivers, my dish has 5 LNBS and has the SWM feature as I only have 1 line going from the dish to my switch.

I would like to buy an OTA, from some googling it seems as though most people recommend the Channel Master 4221 or the 4228 (I think this one is larger).

1. Is the Channel Master 4221 or 4228 compatible with my Directv HR23? If not, what should I be using?

2. What about this AM21 thingy, do I require this and is it used in Conjuction with the Channel Master 4221 or 4228? is there anything else I need to buy? Amplifiers, etc?

2. Will I now need a new line from the OTA to my SWM Switch? I'm hoping the OTA just connects to the dish and no other hardware install is needed.

3. How will I then see OTA channels from my HR23 receiver, will it be picked up in the guide and can I record these channels using my HR23?

4. I am actually in Montreal (Pincourt, right near Montreal), so I would be doing this for local channels offered in my area and hopefully across the border too. My drivign Factor to do this is all the Hockey Playoff games I missed since the games are often blacked out on Directv, I just want to be abel to turn to CBC to watch a game when it is on.

Thank you.

If you are in Montreal, the AM21 will be of no use to you. You cannot "scan" for OTA channels. D* has a database with channels for each local area, and you can only receive those channels in their database. Since D* is only in the US, you will not find any channels OTA in Montreal.

SMK
post #49 of 2103 Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

If you are in Montreal, the AM21 will be of no use to you. You cannot "scan" for OTA channels. D* has a database with channels for each local area, and you can only receive those channels in their database. Since D* is only in the US, you will not find any channels OTA in Montreal.

SMK

A poor work-a-round is to find & pick zipcodes with channels you're looking for. While the guide data may be off, it will tune to the channel.

A.K.A. VOS
post #50 of 2103 Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A poor work-a-round is to find & pick zipcodes with channels you're looking for. While the guide data may be off, it will tune to the channel.

Bingo, that's what I did. The guide data is always wrong but at I do get all of the Toronto HD locals. It'll take some time and patience, that's for sure.

Google is your friend, Rockstead.

Just say no to cable.
post #51 of 2103 Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have a friend interested in DirecTV. He will only be getting one DVR. Does that mean they will install the dish setup where two cables are needed for the DVR (1 for each tuner)?

Thanks.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #52 of 2103 Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears my HR21-700 is dying (after about 5 years, I think.)

It often hangs, sometimes pixelates and frequently resets itself. I have red-button-reset it numerous times and have yanked the plug a few times.

But I have quite a bit of unwatched shows and I wonder if I should just hang on to it until I can get though the most important ones or would DirecTV let me keep it for a while?

Can they send me a replacement or does this require a truck roll?
post #53 of 2103 Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM

For me, after I troubleshoot on the phone with a tech person, they just sent out a new box for me to swap out. It took two days for the new box to show up and they wanted the old one back with in a week. Mine died before I could watch all the old shows, good luck
post #54 of 2103 Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

It appears my HR21-700 is dying (after about 5 years, I think.)

It often hangs, sometimes pixelates and frequently resets itself. I have red-button-reset it numerous times and have yanked the plug a few times.

But I have quite a bit of unwatched shows and I wonder if I should just hang on to it until I can get though the most important ones or would DirecTV let me keep it for a while?

Can they send me a replacement or does this require a truck roll?

I think those came out in late '07, so the math may be a bit off.
What will happen is, if they don't get it back by "x time", they'll charge you a fee [around $470] for un-returned equipment, which they'll credit back when they receiver it.
Used to be you had 30 days for they charged, but not sure now.

A.K.A. VOS
post #55 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Anyone able to stream from their Directv DVR to PS3? After all this rolled out, my Directv DVRs showed up on my media servers list on the PS3, but won't show playlist or playback anything. I wonder if the DVR is blocking and someday I'll be able to access by PS3?
post #56 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Anyone able to stream from their Directv DVR to PS3? After all this rolled out, my Directv DVRs showed up on my media servers list on the PS3, but won't show playlist or playback anything. I wonder if the DVR is blocking and someday I'll be able to access by PS3?

"Not yet". I believe it is due to a DNLA issue and the PS3 not having what DirecTV uses.

A.K.A. VOS
post #57 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Will I have any problem if I disconnect my HR22-100 from the satellite dish and use it for a week to watch my recorded programs?

Dave
post #58 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

Will I have any problem if I disconnect my HR22-100 from the satellite dish and use it for a week to watch my recorded programs?

I don't think you can do that. When my box can't get the satellite, it can't do anything. It just hangs on the screens where it is trying.
post #59 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I don't think you can do that. When my box can't get the satellite, it can't do anything. It just hangs on the screens where it is trying.

If I connect to just the 101 satellite, will I be good? I have a portable 101 dish I could use.

Dave
post #60 of 2103 Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 PM

Hey folks,

I wonder if anybody has any suggestions as to how I can get Media Share with my pictures to work. Video has never worked because I haven't downloaded the proper software. Music will share, and pictures used to share.

I can't think of anything that would have caused the picture sharing to quit functioning. Generally it's extremely slow to execute the menu system and when I select pictures I receive a multitude of errors. Sometimes it tells me the folder is empty. Sometimes it's Cannot Play Media. It will display the squares for the icons, however almost all thumbnails are yellow warning triangles with the exclamation mark in it. I can still continue to drill down into folders at times if I do want to. However when I choose to play a picture such as shuffle all or play all, it may actually display an image. The following image says something to the effect of cannot display image. It then switches over to grabbing content and usually fails again. Sometimes when I select "pictures" from the menu it will lock up the receiver and I have to RBR as it's completely unresponsive.

The receiver is only a couple of years old. I'm on a different router now than I was previously however I do believe my pictures were failing on my previous router also. I can't seem to understand why it may choose to attempt to load pictures sometiems, and not another. If picture do load, I only see one and I receive the unable to display, and it fails again on Grabbing content.

I have the HR21 connected with an AM21 (off air tuner).

Do I somehow need to change sharing on my PC or something else PC related? Thanks for any ideas you can provide.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page