DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought the HR24 below, should arrive today. Can anyone tell by the picture which manufacturer it is?

http://www.dssftp.com/xcart/product....7&cat=3&page=1

Just say no to cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

I see you've had more problems than me.
My TV didn't care about RGB or YCBCR, as it "knew" what to do with what it was being sent.

Media share & OTA are also things I don't use.

I guess if these are important to you then "slight differences", may not be the best description.
Some hate any -100, so I guess this all comes down to YMMV.

I went back and forth a couple of times, and I just personally feel the image on the 24-500 is below the quality of the 22-100, so Im sticking with it for main viewing. I wish I could get my hands on another 24 model, other than a 500, to check with the pre/pro and see what it's outputting.

My DVDO is handling the RGB fine, I just don't think the NXP chip is as good as the Broadcom. I can deal with the 22 speed, but overall, the HR24 design is nice, and fast. I'm gonna stick with what I have until something new comes in the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

I recently bought the HR24 below, should arrive today. Can anyone tell by the picture which manufacturer it is?

Not really. Need to get it in first.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I went back and forth a couple of times, and I just personally feel the image on the 24-500 is below the quality of the 22-100, so Im sticking with it for main viewing. I wish I could get my hands on another 24 model, other than a 500, to check with the pre/pro and see what it's outputting.

My DVDO is handling the RGB fine, I just don't think the NXP chip is as good as the Broadcom. I can deal with the 22 speed, but overall, the HR24 design is nice, and fast. I'm gonna stick with what I have until something new comes in the pipe.

"I just personally feel", really can't be challenged/discussed.
We all have these and to us they're valid.
I've "A-B-C"d my HR20-700, HR21-200, & HR24-500 with them all connected to my Sony XBR.
You'd be surprised how many times I've started cussing at one because it isn't responding, only to find I'm on the wrong input and the wrong receiver.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Depending on what type of network you have now, this may or may not be true.
If you're using ethernet now, then no, but if you're using DECA then "maybe so".
This is what would be used:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...omponents&sku=

Which needs a coax feed.

I have an ethernet network over cat 6 on a gigabit router. So, it seems I don not need any additional hardware, correct? What about the setup? Is that easy to do with MRV?

Lastly, I may have misheard but the person from Direct said I was getting an HR24-700. I did not see any mention of that model here. If that is indeed another model how does it differ from the -100 or -500?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D. View Post

I have an ethernet network over cat 6 on a gigabit router. So, it seems I don not need any additional hardware, correct? What about the setup? Is that easy to do with MRV?

Lastly, I may have misheard but the person from Direct said I was getting an HR24-700. I did not see any mention of that model here. If that is indeed another model how does it differ from the -100 or -500?

If you're using ethernet, then you don't "need" DECA.
There is no HR24-700, but there is an H24-700 [non DVR].

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Below is a post copied from another thread related to trying to get my Directv remote to control my new JVC soundbar. Bottom line, after programming the remote using the on-screen instructions, it will now control the volume and mute, but it won't power on or off the soundbar along with the rest of my equipment (HR21-100 and Sony tv). Any ideas guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch
I programmed the Directv remote no problem.

guide--setup--system setup--remote control--program remote-- AV1 (that is what I used)--audio equipment--brand jvc
then follow instructions on screen.
I want to say it was the second code not 100% on that. I works I am using it as I type (is that possible).

Hey Petch,
I did as you suggested above, and sure enough I found a couple of codes (the 2nd and 5th I believe) that will turn the soundbar on and off when I push the "Pwr" button with the switch in AV1 mode position. However, when I "complete" the remote programming, and return the switch to "Directv" mode as directed, the remote will control the volume but will not turn the soundbar on or off. Did you run into this problem? I suppose I could leave the soundbar on all the time, but would rather not...
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

Wow, I'm shocked to hear you got the upgrade with no additional commitment. Nice work, and I may try the same, as my HR20 is also hooked up to my Samsung 3D capable display.

If you're currently out of contract, that may give you a little more ammunition in getting them to replace your HR20 w/ an HR24, IMHO. In my case also, it probably helped that I was moving to a new home and thus took advantage of the Movers Connection offer. What's even more interesting was that when the installer was setting up my HR20s (my dropship HR24 order hadn't arrived yet), he was also installing both the DECA adapters and the Broadband DECA module at no additional charge to my D* account--he said that supposedly all new customer installs (and I assume, new installs as part of Movers Connection) now include DECA (if for a receiver that doesn't have it built-in) and Cinema Connection installation at no charge...and as I mentioned in my previous post, once he couldn't get MRV to work after installing the necessary DECA adapters, he swapped my HR20s out for HR24s (built-in DECA) right on the spot.

Tony
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Below is a post copied from another thread related to trying to get my Directv remote to control my new JVC soundbar. Bottom line, after programming the remote using the on-screen instructions, it will now control the volume and mute, but it won't power on or off the soundbar along with the rest of my equipment (HR21-100 and Sony tv). Any ideas guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch
I programmed the Directv remote no problem.

guide--setup--system setup--remote control--program remote-- AV1 (that is what I used)--audio equipment--brand jvc
then follow instructions on screen.
I want to say it was the second code not 100% on that. I works I am using it as I type (is that possible).

Hey Petch,
I did as you suggested above, and sure enough I found a couple of codes (the 2nd and 5th I believe) that will turn the soundbar on and off when I push the "Pwr" button with the switch in AV1 mode position. However, when I "complete" the remote programming, and return the switch to "Directv" mode as directed, the remote will control the volume but will not turn the soundbar on or off. Did you run into this problem? I suppose I could leave the soundbar on all the time, but would rather not...
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Unfortunately the D* remotes will not turn on/off your AV device with the on/off buttons, it will only turn on/off the D* receiver and TV at the same time. I don't know why they didn't make it so you could turn on/off 3 devices at once (D* receiver, TV, and AV device). Hopefully they will with the next generation of remotes.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM

I just ordered this setup, for my living room HR22-100, due to OTA recording. Past experience with OTA and a 1TB, this should offer around 200 hours.

Western Digital 2 TB AV-GP SATA Intellipower 32 MB AV Hard Drive WD20EVDS
Designed for AV use

Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM

OK, any idea why my HR24-500 recorded a repeat when the series was set to record first runs only? I just set it up on Sunday, and several of the networks were running reruns of shows earlier in the season that ended up being recorded.

Gotta love the surround sound on the HD channels over the SD channels. I think that's the biggest unheralded improvement!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

OK, any idea why my HR24-500 recorded a repeat when the series was set to record first runs only? I just set it up on Sunday, and several of the networks were running reruns of shows earlier in the season that ended up being recorded.

Gotta love the surround sound on the HD channels over the SD channels. I think that's the biggest unheralded improvement!

This isn't that uncommon with a new setup. The guide data can be incomplete [missing first aired date] so the DVR defaults to record as it thinks this show is a first run.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

Some shows are not marked as repeats in the guide...not directv's doing.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Old 12-04-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If a show has multiple showings in one day I always set up a recurring manual recording so that I just get the one that I want.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone know where to buy an HR24-100 DVR(since it doesn't have the RGB issue the 500 has)?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Anyone know where to buy an HR24-100 DVR(since it doesn't have the RGB issue the 500 has)?

It seems the retailers only have the -500 and the -100 & -200 only come from DirecTV.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-05-2010, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
A 24-200 was recently installed. It outputs via HDMI to a DVDO Edge, where the video is stripped off and sent via HDMI to a projector and the audio via HDMI to a Cinema 11a processor. A PS3 shares the same configuration passing through the Edge to the 11a.

Each fast forward or back of recorded material ends with a sharp click. With live programming, it's only at the end of fast backward. The PS3 makes no such noises, suggesting the problem resides in the 24-200. Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

My system includes a Velodyne HGS-15 sub with SMS-1 LF room correction. Programs through DirecTV tend to have a boom-box sound not present with either the PS3 or the Sony XA5400ES CD/SACD player. The levels of all the speakers and sub have been calibrated using a sound level meter, and lowering the level of the sub many dB will eliminate the exaggerated LF. Is that a DirecTV issue or a station issue, i.e compensation for an expected poor LF response of TVs?

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have an HR21P-700 that was made in Feb 2008 that I use in a high end HT. Does anyone know if the newest model would have any better picture and sound quality? What is the new model number?

Also this was there "Pro" model which was rack mountable and had alrger hard drive that the other model HD DVR that was available at that time. Is the comparable model have that same space?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

I have an HR21P-700 that was made in Feb 2008 that I use in a high end HT. Does anyone know if the newest model would have any better picture and sound quality?

no, same PQ/sound
Quote:

What is the new model number?

HR24
Quote:

Also this was there "Pro" model which was rack mountable and had alrger hard drive that the other model HD DVR that was available at that time. Is the comparable model have that same space?

Thanks,
Ken

All DVRs from the HR22 on have had 500 GB drives.

The upcoming HMC30 will have 1 TB drive, among some other changes.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmc30???

Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmc30???

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

My system includes a Velodyne HGS-15 sub with SMS-1 LF room correction. Programs through DirecTV tend to have a boom-box sound not present with either the PS3 or the Sony XA5400ES CD/SACD player. The levels of all the speakers and sub have been calibrated using a sound level meter, and lowering the level of the sub many dB will eliminate the exaggerated LF. Is that a DirecTV issue or a station issue, i.e compensation for an expected poor LF response of TVs?

I have a large Hsu sub, system calibrated with Audyssey from an Onkyo receiver and it sounds great on BD and CD. Directv sounds anemic at best. Can't say it's worse than OTA, but probably. I'm new to satellite delivery, but I'm suspecting a lot of the PQ and AQ issues are station dependent to some degree. TNTHD has a noticeably better PQ than most others for instance. That music channel on the extra pack (starts with P ...) has horrible sound.

I turned off DD a few days ago and haven't missed it (still gets processed to surround by the receiver.) I guess I need to make clear that what I'm saying is too much bass is the last thing I'm hearing.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

no, same PQ/sound
HR24

All DVRs from the HR22 on have had 500 GB drives.

The upcoming HMC30 will have 1 TB drive, among some other changes.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM

I received a new HR24-500 to replace the older HR21. With the HR21 my MRV was working fine. I cannot get the MRV to work on the HR24. I am wondering if I scewed up MRV up by initially connecting the HR24 to my home network? I realized that you can not have both MRV and home network together. I also read that connecting to a network disables the onboard DECA. Further, since I never tried MRV with the box before setting up the network function, I cannot be sure that the box (internal DECA) was just bad to begin with.

I called support and they are useless in terms of being untrained to help with this issue. I just had a tech and he could not get it to work.

Is there something I can do to reset the box to the way it was when it arrived? I did the system reset and it cleared the network connection, the MRV is autorized but still does not see my other boxes. Anything else I should try?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received a new HR24-500 to replace the older HR21. With the HR21 my MRV was working fine. I cannot get the MRV to work on the HR24. I am wondering if I scewed up MRV up by initially connecting the HR24 to my home network? I realized that you can not have both MRV and home network together. I also read that connecting to a network disables the onboard DECA. Further, since I never tried MRV with the box before setting up the network function, I cannot be sure that the box (internal DECA) was just bad to begin with.

I called support and they are useless in terms of being untrained to help with this issue. I just had a tech and he could not get it to work.

Is there something I can do to reset the box to the way it was when it arrived? I did the system reset and it cleared the network connection, the MRV is autorized but still does not see my other boxes. Anything else I should try?

If you're using the DECA network, then connecting an ethernet cable did disable the DECA. Re-running the SAT setup [yeah, this is odd but true] will/should get the DECA working again. Run the setup and then reboot. Then go into the system info screen and look for "coax connected" under network.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
If you're using the DECA network, then connecting an ethernet cable did disable the DECA. Re-running the SAT setup [yeah, this is odd but true] will/should get the DECA working again. Run the setup and then reboot. Then go into the system info screen and look for "coax connected" under network.
Ok that worked. I guess I can cancel the Tech's return trip. It is unfortunate that Vid On Demand is not available with MRV. Before I mess it up again, can you connect one receiver to the internet to initiaite VOD download without knocking the HR24 off the network?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok that worked. I guess I can cancel the Tech's return trip. It is unfortunate that Vid On Demand is not available with MRV. Before I mess it up again, can you connect one receiver to the internet to initiaite VOD download without knocking the HR24 off the network?
VOD & MRV work fine together "WITH" one more DECA connected to your router. This is called the CCK [Cinema connection kit], which used to be called the ICK [internet connection kit].
You simply didn't get a complete upgrade.

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

ok, I will call the Tech and ask for this. Hopefully, he will do this w/o charge.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any release date on that model?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any release date on that model?

Nothing has been mentioned, so I'd put it at "in the next 6 months".

A.K.A. VOS
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

Just hooked it up, it's an HR24-500

The picture looks great, but I read here that there's an RGB issue.

Is this a concern for me?

I'm using it on a Panasonic Pro Series plasma, the model number is TH-65PF11UK.

Just say no to cable.