DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 2103 Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
why is it that everyone seems to not want to sign another 2 yr deal with direct tv,they give you all new equip and a way better deal on the service for the 1st yr of the contract along with free hbo and max and stars for 3 months,I dont get why everyone doesnt do it every 2 yrs,unless there is something out there i dont know about with package pricing.

whats the issue with the rgb i see mentioned here on the 24-500? Is the 24-100 and 200 really that much better. I just signed a new deal and they are bringing me new hd dvrs this week.can older ver be requested?

Does anyone know if the direct tv deal with tivo is going through anytime soon,i really liked that software,I still have a 10-250 on a bedroom tv my kid refuses to give up on,its a shame it wont get hd channels anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Suncom3, when you get receivers from DirecTV there's no way to specify which model you'll get, could be anything from a refurb HR20 to a new HR24. It comes down to what was loaded on the techs truck in the morning. The best thing to do is when the tech calls in the morning tell them what you want and if they don't have it ask to reschedule for a time they would.

Yes, the HR24-500 uses a different chip set manufacture then the other HR2X's and put out an RGB signal vs. what all the other do. Some folks setups don't like RGB, IIRC they say it crushes the black. Other then that they all operate the same way.

The long awaited DirecTV Tivo unit is rumored to FINALLY come out in the 1st half of 2011. From some posts on other forums this unit will NOT have all the same functionality as standalone Tivo's, like the HR10-250 a number of features will be removed. Plus it's rumored that they won't be able to make use of the Whole Home DVR function with non Tivo DirecTV units.
post #723 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post
why is it that everyone seems to not want to sign another 2 yr deal with direct tv,they give you all new equip and a way better deal on the service for the 1st yr of the contract along with free hbo and max and stars for 3 months,I dont get why everyone doesnt do it every 2 yrs,unless there is something out there i dont know about with package pricing.
Well if you knew it was possible to get (almost) the exact same deals/offers w/o commitment...wouldn't you prefer to go that route vs. having to sign a 2-year contract? I've done two upgrades from the time I've owned/used my HR10-250--from the HR10 to HR20, then from HR20 to HR24...both times, not only did I not have to renew for 2 years--I also got some account and programming credits for my trouble as well.

Tony
post #724 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post

@thefyn
You have the HR23, which is the same receiver I have. Yes, it is extremely sluggish. Apparently getting the new HR24 models have fixed this issue. Honestly, I'd like to get the new ones myself, as the responsiveness is quite literally my only frustration with DirecTV's DVR. Everything else is fantastic.

I just got Google TV. WHAT A DIFFERENCE using the logitech keyboard as a remote. Much much much better response time.
post #725 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
has anyone noticed judder on some of the HD movies downloaded via vod? I downloaded "UP" the other day and the judder was horrrible. Are they trying to save bandwidth or something?

This was verified on a LCD 120hz unit AND an old school rear projection. LCD was over hdmi and the RP was over component.
post #726 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Is there a master list of remote control codes somewhere? I'm looking for a code for a Dynex DX-26L150A that controls volume, on/off and input. The codes the receiver gives the remote do 2 out of 3 of them, but none do all three.

Thanks.
post #727 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnfan View Post

Is there a master list of remote control codes somewhere? I'm looking for a code for a Dynex DX-26L150A that controls volume, on/off and input. The codes the receiver gives the remote do 2 out of 3 of them, but none do all three.

Thanks.

Google can be your friend:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...6729#h:620.495

Quote:

The following code is the most popular for your brand.

10463*

A.K.A. VOS
post #728 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Google can be your friend:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...6729#h:620.495

While I appreciate the response, you automatically assumed that I did not try Google (granted I didn't specifically come out and say it). I did get to the part of DirecTV's site prior to posting here and that code makes the on/off, volume +/- and mute work, it does not make the Input button function which I was looking for to round out all the functions.

Posted it here as well because that TV is a pretty popular BestBuy store brand TV and thought there might be others that had the TV and that found a code that made the remote operate all of the functions I wanted.

In addition to the code you mentioned from the DirecTV website there are 7 that the receiver tries to program the remote with. These seem to all work volume +/- and mute, but depending on the code it will only perform one or the other; Input Select or On/Off.

Thanks.
post #729 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post

Well if you knew it was possible to get (almost) the exact same deals/offers w/o commitment...wouldn't you prefer to go that route vs. having to sign a 2-year contract? I've done two upgrades from the time I've owned/used my HR10-250--from the HR10 to HR20, then from HR20 to HR24...both times, not only did I not have to renew for 2 years--I also got some account and programming credits for my trouble as well.

well expand on that for us bud,Ive found it easy to get small discounts,like replacing old equip credits for lease rec,movie channel discounts and things like that but it always takes a long drug conversation and getting passed around to diff people with direct tv,but with signing a new deal ya get half off on most packages the first yr,this really reduces the overall cost,and most of us have been with them for yrs and arent going anywhere?

Rad thanks for the advise,When my installer called i asked him if he had a 24-100,he said he would grab that for me if he had it or get me one the next day. Ended up getting it the same day,I still cant beleive they havent put pip into this model,thats the only thing better I like about the dish dvr system. for football its really cool to monitor 2 games. This 24-100 is a little faster than the older 23 but the tivo premiere still smokes it
post #730 of 2103 Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I appreciate the response, you automatically assumed that I did not try Google (granted I didn't specifically come out and say it). I did get to the part of DirecTV's site prior to posting here and that code makes the on/off, volume +/- and mute work, it does not make the Input button function which I was looking for to round out all the functions.

Posted it here as well because that TV is a pretty popular BestBuy store brand TV and thought there might be others that had the TV and that found a code that made the remote operate all of the functions I wanted.

In addition to the code you mentioned from the DirecTV website there are 7 that the receiver tries to program the remote with. These seem to all work volume +/- and mute, but depending on the code it will only perform one or the other; Input Select or On/Off.

Thanks.

Quote:

The following code is the most popular for your brand.

10463*

The * denotes not full compliance.
Some of this may be due to which DirecTV remote you're using.

A.K.A. VOS
post #731 of 2103 Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

well expand on that for us bud,Ive found it easy to get small discounts,like replacing old equip credits for lease rec,movie channel discounts and things like that but it always takes a long drug conversation and getting passed around to diff people with direct tv,but with signing a new deal ya get half off on most packages the first yr,this really reduces the overall cost,and most of us have been with them for yrs and arent going anywhere?

LOL...why would folks who've been with D* "for years" and "aren't going anywhere" feel the need to ask them for incentives (e.g., half-off packages for signing a new deal) in order to get them to stick around for a while longer? I mean, D* isn't exactly gonna call existing customers up and say, "Hey we noticed that your commitment is about to end--how about if you sign up for another 2 years, we'll give you half-off your existing programming package?"

Hey, more power to you if you feel comfortable renewing commitments...but I'm willing to bet that there are more than a few folks who'd rather have the freedom of not being tied to a commitment if they can avoid it.

Tony
post #732 of 2103 Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
I'm thinking of switching from Dish to Directv because I need multiroom HD with DVR.

Can you watch two recorded programs (on different tvs) at the same time or are you limited to only one at a time ?
post #733 of 2103 Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 View Post

I'm thinking of switching from Dish to Directv because I need multiroom HD with DVR.

Can you watch two recorded programs (on different tvs) at the same time or are you limited to only one at a time ?

"Two", but one has to be locally on the DVR and then the other from any remote location. Without 2 DVRs, you can't watch from two different remote locations.

A.K.A. VOS
post #734 of 2103 Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post

LOL...why would folks who've been with D* "for years" and "aren't going anywhere" feel the need to ask them for incentives (e.g., half-off packages for signing a new deal) in order to get them to stick around for a while longer? I mean, D* isn't exactly gonna call existing customers up and say, "Hey we noticed that your commitment is about to end--how about if you sign up for another 2 years, we'll give you half-off your existing programming package?"

Hey, more power to you if you feel comfortable renewing commitments...but I'm willing to bet that there are more than a few folks who'd rather have the freedom of not being tied to a commitment if they can avoid it.

I dont follow you on this? why would someone call who has been with direct tv for a few yrs to renew a contract ? to save more $ thats the point right?

you never said what kinda deal you got without a contract,that was the point of the ?
post #735 of 2103 Old 12-31-2010, 06:30 PM

I have been with D* for years now, and just ordered the "whole home" setup--while I was at it, I ordered a third HD DVR.

Anyway, I had a quick question--I currently have my two DVR's networked (wirelessly) for media-share purposes (to read the music from my PC)--will that still be necessary, or will the "whole home" somehow be tied into my network?

I guess a follow-up question would be--should I have a network conneciton (powerline, wireless, or otherwise) prepared for the installation of the third DVR?
post #736 of 2103 Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post

I have been with D* for years now, and just ordered the "whole home" setup--while I was at it, I ordered a third HD DVR.

Anyway, I had a quick question--I currently have my two DVR's networked (wirelessly) for media-share purposes (to read the music from my PC)--will that still be necessary, or will the "whole home" somehow be tied into my network?

I guess a follow-up question would be--should I have a network conneciton (powerline, wireless, or otherwise) prepared for the installation of the third DVR?

Make sure that DirecTV installs the Cinema Connection Kit, which bridges the coax network to your ethernet network. What DirecTV is supposed to do is run a new coax, if necessary, to wherever you have your router located and then connect to the network there. If it was me I'd try to avoid powerline/wireless if at all possible and go with the hardwired connection.
post #737 of 2103 Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

Make sure that DirecTV installs the Cinema Connection Kit, which bridges the coax network to your ethernet network. What DirecTV is supposed to do is run a new coax, if necessary, to wherever you have your router located and then connect to the network there. If it was me I'd try to avoid powerline/wireless if at all possible and go with the hardwired connection.

They did say that they would need to "evaluate" my internet connection for broadband...I assumed that meant that they would tie into my router, but was not sure (the service rep did not seem to know THAT much about it, other than what he was supposed to sell)...

Just so I am clear--assuming they do what they are supposed to and connect to my ethernet router, I can disconnect the wireless print servers (that I am using as an ethernet bridge)?

Also, jsut confriming that the Cinema Conneciton kit is supposed to be a part of the whole-home (or are they going to charge me additional $$$)--they are already grabbing me for $199 for the "whole home upgrade"?
post #738 of 2103 Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post

They did say that they would need to "evaluate" my internet connection for broadband...I assumed that meant that they would tie into my router, but was not sure (the service rep did not seem to know THAT much about it, other than what he was supposed to sell)...

Just so I am clear--assuming they do what they are supposed to and connect to my ethernet router, I can disconnect the wireless print servers (that I am using as an ethernet bridge)?

If done correctly, they should run a coax drop near your router for one of these:

and then connect this to your router to bridge the DECA to your home network.

A.K.A. VOS
post #739 of 2103 Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Very cool--thanks you so much, and Happy New Year!
post #740 of 2103 Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Howdy,
OK 2 new HR24-100's replaced my old HR20-100's which were working great since I received them when they were rolled out a long time ago. Replaced for 2 new 3D TV's since the HR20-100 do not support the new 3D stuff. Wow, are they quick.

Final setup is
3 LNB dish
2 x SWim8 units with E2 coupler, external powered.
HR24-100
HR24-100
HR23-700
HR23-700
HR23-700
Configured all this before any of the whole home DVR stuff was out there. Had to use the E2 and 2 SWim8 units to have all 10 tuners active. All configured using single cable SWim.

The HR20 and HR23 were all about the same speed. These new HR24-100 are really quick all the way around. Guide speed, channel change, remote response, watch record flip, etc...
replacing the HR20-100 with the new HR24-100 gave me another 2 year commitment. Thats OK since I have no other option out here in the sticks.

Later
DirecTv customer since 1998 - still here

~~Later Mike
post #741 of 2103 Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

What's with the 3 LNB dish, mflagg?

Just say no to cable.
post #742 of 2103 Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

[not him, duh]
The Slimline comes with either the 5 LNB [101, 110, 119, & 99, 103] or a 3 LNB [99/101/103], since all HD has been moved to the 99 & 103 SATs.

A.K.A. VOS
post #743 of 2103 Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

am-21 not working.....it says tuner removed anyone ever run across this...do they go bad....I did a system test that said everything ok....did a reset and got the same message so I reset locals under antennea and now there completly gone from the guide and the channels....original tuner removed message said to make sure it's plugged in and to check connections....it's been working fine...Directv's been runnin and extra .1 sub channel about neg. with one of the locals...CBS I think I've had 2 19.1 channels lately ..could this have something to do with tha 21 Freakin out......
post #744 of 2103 Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleps View Post

am-21 not working.....it says tuner removed anyone ever run across this...do they go bad....I did a system test that said everything ok....did a reset and got the same message so I reset locals under antennea and now there completly gone from the guide and the channels....original tuner removed message said to make sure it's plugged in and to check connections....it's been working fine...Directv's been runnin and extra .1 sub channel about neg. with one of the locals...CBS I think I've had 2 19.1 channels lately ..could this have something to do with tha 21 Freakin out......

You should check both the power & the USB cable/connections. If both are good, then this AM21 may have failed. It has nothing to do with anything else.

A.K.A. VOS
post #745 of 2103 Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:

If done correctly, they should run a coax drop near your router for one of these:

and then connect this to your router to bridge the DECA to your home network.

If I have a home ethernet connection available for each of my DVRs and receivers. Is there any reason for me to use a coax drop, or is the coax drop for when a wired ethernet connection is not available?

I just activated whole home on one of my two DVRs and both of my receivers and it is very cool. I just need to make an ethernet cable for my other DVR to get that in the network as well. I am currently using the following equipment: HR21-700, HR22-100 and two H21-200 receivers. None of the receivers are exactly quick, but the lag is generally bearable. Nevertheless, should I talk to my rep about upgrading?

Thanks,

Matt
post #746 of 2103 Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

If I have a home ethernet connection available for each of my DVRs and receivers. Is there any reason for me to use a coax drop, or is the coax drop for when a wired ethernet connection is not available?

I just activated whole home on one of my two DVRs and both of my receivers and it is very cool. I just need to make an ethernet cable for my other DVR to get that in the network as well. I am currently using the following equipment: HR21-700, HR22-100 and two H21-200 receivers. None of the receivers are exactly quick, but the lag is generally bearable. Nevertheless, should I talk to my rep about upgrading?

Thanks,

Matt

Ethernet isn't supported by DirecTV, "but" was used for a year while testing MRV. I doubt you'll find any difference between ethernet & DECA, "if" your home network is working well.
DECA is mainly for customers needing networking and something DirecTV installers can work with, since they're never going to learn/support ethernet.
My ethernet was just a bunch of cat5 running around the house on the floor, so DECA has removed all of this and cleaned things up.
As to whether to talk to a rep, it wouldn't cost anything to ask. Whether I'd upgrade would depend on what deal I would get. Your DVRs are the slowest types, but what the value to you verses the costs to upgrade I can't say.
I'm still using 2 HR20s and retired my HR21 when I got my HR24 [mainly because 3 DVRs is all I need]. If I'd only had one HR20, then my HR21 would still be active.

A.K.A. VOS
post #747 of 2103 Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Ethernet isn't supported by DirecTV, "but" was used for a year while testing MRV. I doubt you'll find any difference between ethernet & DECA, "if" your home network is working well.
DECA is mainly for customers needing networking and something DirecTV installers can work with, since they're never going to learn/support ethernet.
My ethernet was just a bunch of cat5 running around the house on the floor, so DECA has removed all of this and cleaned things up.
As to whether to talk to a rep, it wouldn't cost anything to ask. Whether I'd upgrade would depend on what deal I would get. Your DVRs are the slowest types, but what the value to you verses the costs to upgrade I can't say.
I'm still using 2 HR20s and retired my HR21 when I got my HR24 [mainly because 3 DVRs is all I need]. If I'd only had one HR20, then my HR21 would still be active.
So, it sounds like that if ethernet is working for me I should just stick with it realizing that DirecTV won't give me network support. I just wasn't sure if there were features or performance issues that I wasn't getting through ethernet. I am going to have my service tech come out and trouble shoot an issue (771 error) so I will talk about upgrading my boxes with him then. If I can do it for no or very little cost I might as well.

Thanks,

Matt
post #748 of 2103 Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Can someone tell me what the downside (if any) to using the remote in RF mode as opposed to IR? I have a DVR that is off to the side of the TV (in front of it by about 3 feet and to the right of it by 4 feet) and depending upon where you are in the room, it is sometimes a pain to point enough at the receiver in IR mode?

If I put all 4 units in RF mode will they interfere, or are they all assigned separate codes.

Thanks.
post #749 of 2103 Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Can someone tell me what the downside (if any) to using the remote in RF mode as opposed to IR? I have a DVR that is off to the side of the TV (in front of it by about 3 feet and to the right of it by 4 feet) and depending upon where you are in the room, it is sometimes a pain to point enough at the receiver in IR mode?

If I put all 4 units in RF mode will they interfere, or are they all assigned separate codes.

Thanks.

I have not found a downside. I have two units within 50 ft of each other configured as RF. No interference. Each remote is unique to a DVR/receiver. I'm looking to add a third and mount that receiver behind a dresser.
post #750 of 2103 Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

Howdy,

The 3 LNB works great for me. No International for me. The other birds do not have anything for me. I used to have the first issue huge 5 LNB dish. Got it with the HR20 when they first came out. Needed the newer type to feed the SWim setup. I still have all the channels I need. PPV, HD, locals, premiums etc.. I don't use any 400-499 channels.

~~Later Mike
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page