DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1381 of 2071 Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr_wkr View Post

It's just the wife & I, and we're both engineers. (Lives of living with bugs.) We're leaning toward 2 HR24s just to get the storage partitioned. (Her space & my space.) I do not think I can do any partitioning/allocation of HR34's storage. This means her serial recording, when unmanaged, would start deleting my old recordings.

Thanks. Are there differences to important features like: skipping commercials, toggling between two programs (poor mans PIP/PAP), OTA(one coax vs 2), Netflix download to? (TV vs ?), wired eNet vs D's eOverCoax (I have cat6 to all rooms), audio (5.1), ...

I'll be pulling more rg6 soon. Is there any advantage pulling 2 runs of coax to each room anymore?

Re MRV,I understand that wired (non DECA) can work but it's not supported. Is there any advantage to this? (Maybe just good for trouble shooting.)

And, with 2 HR24s, could I record 2 on mine and watch a 3rd, live channel coming from her HR24? This could be a key difference between 2 HR24 vs an HR34.

With two users, the twin HR24s might be a better move, as "his & hers" leave each others alone.
The HR34 is supposed to be a HR24 on steroids, so about the only feature it has that the HR24 doesn't [besides more tuners & space] is the picture in picture.
Neither has an OTA tuner, but both work with the AM-21 add-on OTA tuner.
The HR2x line is [and always will be] limited to two recordings [even with two more tuners from the AM-21], where the 34 will record five.
Networking is easy as both have the DECA internally.
You'd need to breakout to feed your TV a netflix as none of the DirecTV units have this. DirecTV uses their OnDemand, which comes in part from the SAT feed, but more from your internet connection.
DECA and the HR34 require the SWiM, so only one coax for this, but for OTA, you'll need a second coax.

A.K.A. VOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2071 Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 10
Will someone be posting here when the HD UI will be out for the HR34? I don't want to have to do a force update every day but I will, lol.
post #1383 of 2071 Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin View Post

Will someone be posting here when the HD UI will be out for the HR34? I don't want to have to do a force update every day but I will, lol.

I don't think it will be that simple/easy.
If/when it starts rolling out, it will be a staggered rollout, so you won't be able to force it unless you try in the middle of the night, but even then maybe not so.
You may see it on your HR34 [having been pushed] long before you can force it.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1384 of 2071 Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

With two users, the twin HR24s might be a better move, as "his & hers" leave each others alone.
The HR34 is supposed to be a HR24 on steroids, so about the only feature it has that the HR24 doesn't [besides more tuners & space] is the picture in picture.
Neither has an OTA tuner, but both work with the AM-21 add-on OTA tuner.
The HR2x line is [and always will be] limited to two recordings [even with two more tuners from the AM-21], where the 34 will record five.
Networking is easy as both have the DECA internally.
You'd need to breakout to feed your TV a netflix as none of the DirecTV units have this. DirecTV uses their OnDemand, which comes in part from the SAT feed, but more from your internet connection.
DECA and the HR34 require the SWiM, so only one coax for this, but for OTA, you'll need a second coax.

I've got an HR23, an H23, and CAT5 Ethernet between them with MRV working just fine. DTV says it's not supported, but that's just because they want to sell you the DECA and standardize on one kind of gear. It works flawlessly for me.

I have the HD GUI upgrade, and I have noticed something bizarre and new (in a good way). I can now record THREE shows at once on my HR23. I don't know if it's using the tuner on the H23 and streaming that over the net or what, but it will record three at once (and I can still watch something different, live, on the H23 at the same time). I cannot find ANY documentation about this. Does anyone else have a similar setup and see this too?
post #1385 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Example?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1386 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainded View Post

I've got an HR23, an H23, and CAT5 Ethernet between them with MRV working just fine. DTV says it's not supported, but that's just because they want to sell you the DECA and standardize on one kind of gear. It works flawlessly for me.

I have the HD GUI upgrade, and I have noticed something bizarre and new (in a good way). I can now record THREE shows at once on my HR23. I don't know if it's using the tuner on the H23 and streaming that over the net or what, but it will record three at once (and I can still watch something different, live, on the H23 at the same time). I cannot find ANY documentation about this. Does anyone else have a similar setup and see this too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Example?

A screen shot of the playlist showing this would help.
I doubt this is really happening though.
You can play with padding and have it appear to be recording more than two at the same time, but only two "channels" can be recorded at one time.
Tuners in other receivers aren't being used.
My playlist will show 3 or 4 recordings at one time, but I have two DVRs and each one can only record two of them.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1387 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb8888 View Post

Thanks. Is DTV giving any deals on these?

Quote:

It's too early to know.
There was "a rumor" for a trade-in price, but it has yet to be released.

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2011
Since a lot of people have been experiencing confusing from DIRECTV CSRs today, here is the official word on HR34 pricing from someone who really knows.
  • The HR34 box is $399 and is available starting today for existing customers
  • There is a $300 rebate for NEW customers only.
  • Select customers may be eligible for a lower price. This varies depending on your history with DIRECTV.

There is no rebate program for existing customers.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1388 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Since a lot of people have been experiencing confusing from DIRECTV CSRs today, here is the official word on HR34 pricing from someone who really knows.
  • Select customers may be eligible for a lower price. This varies depending on your history with DIRECTV.

How does the 34 compare w/ the 24 or the Tivo models?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #1389 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

How does the 34 compare w/ the 24 or the Tivo models?

There would be many different things that you could compare, but I'll simply do the major hardware:
HR34 has 5 tuners, 1 TB drive, and can stream three recordings at one time to other locations.
HR24 has 2 tuners, 500 GB drive, and can only stream one recording.
THR22 has one of the slowest chipsets, 2 tuners, 500 GB drive, and can't stream anything. It does have TiVo software.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1390 of 2071 Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If there's not rebates for customers out of contract, retention is going to be very busy.
post #1391 of 2071 Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr_wkr View Post

It's just the wife & I, and we're both engineers. (Lives of living with bugs.) We're leaning toward 2 HR24s just to get the storage partitioned. (Her space & my space.) I do not think I can do any partitioning/allocation of HR34's storage. This means her serial recording, when unmanaged, would start deleting my old recordings.

Thanks. Are there differences to important features like: skipping commercials, toggling between two programs (poor mans PIP/PAP), OTA(one coax vs 2), Netflix download to? (TV vs ?), wired eNet vs D's eOverCoax (I have cat6 to all rooms), audio (5.1), ...

I'll be pulling more rg6 soon. Is there any advantage pulling 2 runs of coax to each room anymore?

Re MRV,I understand that wired (non DECA) can work but it's not supported. Is there any advantage to this? (Maybe just good for trouble shooting.)

And, with 2 HR24s, could I record 2 on mine and watch a 3rd, live channel coming from her HR24? This could be a key difference between 2 HR24 vs an HR34.

Actually, with HR2x, you can record two and watch a previously recorded show, but not a live show. You get two channels in for either record/watch or record/record.

I'm hoping the hr34 will not be too buggy as I am getting one installed the 22nd along with one FR24 and two existingHR21's.
post #1392 of 2071 Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym303 View Post

Actually, with HR2x, you can record two and watch a previously recorded show, but not a live show. You get two channels in for either record/watch or record/record.

I'm hoping the hr34 will not be too buggy as I am getting one installed the 22nd along with one FR24 and two existingHR21's.

Did you pay $399 or did they give you credits and/or other considerations?
post #1393 of 2071 Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM

I got the HR34 two days ago as a new customer, had not been with DTV for five years. This is what I waited for and am damn glad I did.

Don't like the search features of the software however the dvr itself is great, and the ability to search and record from there website makes it real easy. If I can stomach the costs after all the promo's wear off dtv may have me for another 9 years like before.
post #1394 of 2071 Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

There would be many different things that you could compare, but I'll simply do the major hardware:
HR34 has 5 tuners, 1 TB drive, and can stream three recordings at one time to other locations.
THR22 has one of the slowest chipsets, 2 tuners, 500 GB drive, and can't stream anything. It does have TiVo software.

Thanx!

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #1395 of 2071 Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

As a Directv authorized dealer, we can confirm this. These have been out since mid December though. Many thought there would be inventory issues, but that is not the case........
post #1396 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 AM

HR21-100... I always leave my DVR on. The last three days I have come home to my DVR apparently being turned off. The front lights are dark. It does not respond to the power button or red reset button unless I power down the electrical power strip and turn it back on. Then the power button works and it goes through the full start up procedure and works fine from that point on.

What's going on? It has never done this before and I've had the DVR for years.

Help appreciated. Ideas?

post #1397 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Despite the THR22 having slower chips, the SDUI is apparently quite snappy. FWIW, I find the HDUI on my HR24s to be kind of sluggish. I am seriously considering trying out the THR22.

-Ted
post #1398 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Despite the THR22 having slower chips, the SDUI is apparently quite snappy. FWIW, I find the HDUI on my HR24s to be kind of sluggish. I am seriously considering trying out the THR22.

-Ted

I'm not a TiVo fan [never had one], but it would really showcase their talent with software if they can get good performance out of that hardware.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1399 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

HR21-100... I always leave my DVR on. The last three days I have come home to my DVR apparently being turned off. The front lights are dark. It does not respond to the power button or red reset button unless I power down the electrical power strip and turn it back on. Then the power button works and it goes through the full start up procedure and works fine from that point on.

What's going on? It has never done this before and I've had the DVR for years.

Help appreciated. Ideas?

What version of software does this have?
You may have the version with "power saving", which can be turned off.
You shouldn't need to power cycle the receiver to get it to power up, but this might be why it's turning off.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1400 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

it would really showcase their talent with software if they can get good performance out of that hardware.

The THR-22 is clearly slower than my HR-24 however the user interface is tuned to provide responsiveness which makes it seem much faster than my HR-23 (running the HD interface).

Speed is nice but I fnd responsiveness is more important.
post #1401 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The THR-22 is clearly slower than my HR-24 however the user interface is tuned to provide responsiveness which makes it seem much faster than my HR-23 (running the HD interface).

Speed is nice but I fnd responsiveness is more important.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.
Speed is normally equated to responsiveness.
Was your HR23 a typo and you meant HR24?

A.K.A. VOS
post #1402 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM

V.O.S.,

I figured out the same thing. I believe I have the newest SW.

I called DTV and they told me my DVR was probably overheating. I doubt that since I keep my home cool and the DVR is in an open-back ventilated cabinet. I found the Power Save function and turned it off. I hope that solves the problem.

Why would Power Save actually turn it off rather than just sleep? That makes no sense. I'll be back if it happens again.

Thanks for the reply.

post #1403 of 2071 Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

V.O.S.,

I figured out the same thing. I believe I have the newest SW.

I called DTV and they told me my DVR was probably overheating. I doubt that since I keep my home cool and the DVR is in an open-back ventilated cabinet. I found the Power Save function and turned it off. I hope that solves the problem.

Why would Power Save actually turn it off rather than just sleep? That makes no sense. I'll be back if it happens again.

Thanks for the reply.

It is asleep. For me if I press the info button on the remote it comes back in a couple seconds, buffer intact, and scheduled recordings complete. If it were completely off it would take 15 minutes.

the first time I saw all the lights off I power cycled it too .
post #1404 of 2071 Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.
Speed is normally equated to responsiveness.

I have an HR-24. It's very fast in everything it does. I have an HR-23. It's very slow in everything it does. I'm setting up a THR-22 for my in-laws (I'm replacing the HR10 they love). Overall it's obviously slower than the HR-24 and probably not really faster than the HR-23 but it seems faster because it's more resposive than the HR-23. An example: I open the TODO list on the THR. Each time I press page down it instantly changes to the next page and displays the first half. Then it stalls and displays the second half. The responsive bit is that it starts the transaction as soon as I press the button. The HR-23 usually doesn't. The time to display the complete TODO list on both boxes is probably the same but the THR seems faster. I find that's more important than being faster.

I won't have the THR that long so my perceptions may not reflect the long term truth.
post #1405 of 2071 Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I have an HR-24. It's very fast in everything it does. I have an HR-23. It's very slow in everything it does. I'm setting up a THR-22 for my in-laws (I'm replacing the HR10 they love). Overall it's obviously slower than the HR-24 and probably not really faster than the HR-23 but it seems faster beacause it's more resposive than the HR-23. An example: I open the TODO list on the THR. Each time I press page down it instantly changes to the next page and displays the first half. Then it stalls and displays the second half. The responsive bit is that it starts the transaction as soon as I press the button. The HR-23 usually doesn't. The time to display the complete TODO list on both boxes is probably the same but the THR seems faster. I find that's more important than being faster.

I won't have the THR that long so my perceptions may not reflect the long term truth.

"Interesting"
There isn't enough hardware, but the TiVo code maximizes what it can.

A.K.A. VOS
post #1406 of 2071 Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Postings on dbstalk are reporting that good customers, however that may be defined, are getting the HR34 for $99 ($300 instant credit) and just $49 for "professional installation." I don't believe there was a shipping charge.

Anyone else seeing those kinds of deals?

Anyone able to get SWM installed as well at the same time? I have an HR20 and an HR22, and obviously no whole home DVR or whatever they call it.
post #1407 of 2071 Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

yes: it is a full function matrix switch

matrix switches with over 4 ins/ outs can be very expensive

you could add an HDMI switch to feed a matrix input for additional sources

Well I followed Mark's advice and picked up the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix switch. It passed the signal from the DirecTV fine although I had to add a Monoprice HDMI amplifier to the 40' cable that runs to a plasma over my bar. I ran into some issues programming my Harmony One remote after using the remote that comes with the Monoprice switch to learn the codes. I struggled with getting it to work in the activities for a while. But I got it to work just fine with some assistance from Logitech support.

So if you are having issues switching your DirecTV HDMI signal I suggest you follow Mark's advice and get the Monoprice switch.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #1408 of 2071 Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
from dbstalk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Sweet View Post

I just received a message from DIRECTV saying that their customer service phones are down. If you want official support, you can still visit support.directv.com or forums.directv.com.

Or please ask your question here.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1409 of 2071 Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 256
just an update:

got a replacement HR34 and this one seems better: it updated to 0x4c9 and channel changing time is normal: even while recording

Thanks to Robert at VE for helping me get the swap

when I called D* to activate it, was told they now have a separate tech group that handles HR34 issues

still seeing channel change on own issues with HR24's but I understand a fix is being released

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #1410 of 2071 Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just got my HR34 installed Friday. It was $99 w/free install, SWiM & DECA upgrade, rewiring from dish, 4 wires to one, $10/12mo credit with 2yr reup. The install was botched as a DECA was installed wrong on my HR20, waiting on new appt. I have the slow channel changing/list/guide. Is that a fatal flaw that only new hardware can fix? Argh! I've RBR'd with no improvements. The advance/replay is wicked fast, like my old ReplayTV.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page