DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 68 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2011 of 2141 Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

If I turn off Dolby then I will only get Stereo?

Ok I did turned off Dolby Digital and the problem is gone but I only get stereo to soundbar even if the program is Dolby Digital!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2141 Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Ok I did turned off Dolby Digital and the problem is gone but I only get stereo to soundbar even if the program is Dolby Digital!

Does it sound good. That's about the only thing important in a sound system. I know the sound bar is a very pricey setup and if you have what google took me to its says its 5.1, I just can't by it that a sound bar can put out real surround, need some back speakers.
post #2013 of 2141 Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Does it sound good. That's about the only thing important in a sound system. I know the sound bar is a very pricey setup and if you have what google took me to its says its 5.1, I just can't by it that a sound bar can put out real surround, need some back speakers.
No not even close to Dolby Digital.
post #2014 of 2141 Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cloning a 1tb to a 2tb external drive. I have done several tivos without problems but I cant clone a 1tb Direct TV to a 2TB direct TV drive and expand the main partition to the 2tb. In other words I can use one of several partition programs to clone the 1tb to the 2tb but I end up with a 1tb main partition. I cant expand it to the full 2tb. The first 2 partitions are on and the big one works and plays but I still end up with a 1tb. I found a thread where some guy used gparted 3.7 older version to copy the partition and expand it but I cant get it to work for me. Here is the thread. Ive tried it 3 times now and it never copies the partition. It just says successful. Is this a 0 (zero) or a o . mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap, I tried it both ways. Does anyone know of other threads or a cloning program that will allow me to expand the big partition? i have tried most. I think the partitions are linux.

Here are the step-by-step procedures I took:

Try to do a graceful shutdown of your DVR through the menu system. For me, this was kind of hard because in the menu there is a reset option and I believe that between time I went through the reset sequence and got to my DVR to unplug it, it had started the boot up process. This can lead to a "Can't Read Superblock" error which interferes with the copy process, but can be overcome.
Unplug your old external drive from the DVR and plug in your blank new drive.
Reboot the DVR and allow the DirecTV software to be loaded on the new drive.
After the DVR has booted up, follow the same steps as #1 above to shut down the DVR.
Unplug the new drive from the DVR.
Download gparted from the link above and create a bootable CD or usb drive.
Install your old and new drives into a computer. The instructions on dbstalk state to use SATA port 0 for your new drive and SATA port 1 for the old one, but I don't think it really matters as long as you know which one is which when it comes time to copying. But if you can install the drives as stated above, I would recommend it so there is no confusion on the drive letters for the steps below.
Boot the computer from the CD or usb drive.
Go to Devices from the gparted menu and make sure both of your drives are showing up. If you used SATA port 0 for your new drive and SATA port 1 for the old one, then the new drive should show up as sda and the old one as sdb. If these are different, please note the drive number and substitute the appropriate drive letter for "a" or "b" instead of sda or sdb in the instructions below.
Double click on the Terminal Icon to open the terminal window. This will allow you to manually enter in some commands.
I had the "Can't Read Superblock" error, so I had to do this extra step. It shouldn't hurt to run this command regardless of having the error or not, so if you want, just go ahead and run it first without finding out if you have the error or not. xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 (where ? is the letter of the drive with the error). I ran it on both drives, so I substituted a for both ? the first time and b for both ? the second time. If your drives are not sda and sdb, then make sure you use the appropriate drive letter.
Type in mkdir /mnt/fap and press enter.
Type in mkdir /mnt/hr20 and press enter.
Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap and press enter. This is mounting your NEW drive, so make sure you change from sda to sd if your new drive was not listed as sda in step 9 above.
Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20 and press enter. This is mounting your OLD drive, so make sure you change from sdb to sd if your old drive was not listed as sdb in step 9 above.
Now the command instructions to copy all your data from one drive to another. At the command prompt type in xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap and press enter. A whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files. Depending upon the amount of recordings you have, this step will take many hours.
Finally it finishes and a message is displayed that reads Restore Status: SUCCESS.
At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/hr20 and press enter.
At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/fap and press enter.
Type exit and press enter to close the terminal window.
Double click on the Exit icon.
Click on Shutdown and OK.
Remove the disc or usb drive and press enter. Power should be shut off. Make sure the power is off. Unplug the PC if you are unsure.
After the power is shut off, remove the disks from your computer.
Install the new disk into your external enclosure, plug it back into your DVR and reboot your DVR. After it has booted up, you should have an exact copy of all the settings and recordings you had before with extra disk space.
post #2015 of 2141 Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Sorry to step in and derail the current convo. I'm on my 2nd HD-DVR from Directv. Two or three recordings a week,the recording's video freezes a few seconds after playing but audio continues. Does anyone have any ideas waphat I can try? Maddening!
post #2016 of 2141 Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After I cloned my 1tb external drive to a 2 TB I too had freezing of the new shows I recorded since I swapped the drives. I swapped to a green caviar drive. So I bought a 2tb seagate drive and copied the other 2tb to the new seagate drive and I have not had the problem since.
post #2017 of 2141 Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I have the same problem!
I found MANY other posts about the exact same problem. Many solutions were suggested, but the end result was you need a tech to come out and replace your HR34 with an HR44 unit.
One of the posts said the tech came out and when he saw the problem (video freeze - audio OK) he knew right away he needed to replace the unit with the 44 because he had just done it a few blocks away on another appointment (something about the 34's overheating)
NOTE - As you found out, if you call and request a replacement unit be sent to you, you will most likely end up with another HR34 that will have the same problem! Only the techs have the HR44 units.
I've just made an appointment to have someone to come out. Luckily when I called DirecTV they checked my HR34 remotely and said I had a LOT of transmission errors so I didn't have to convince them to send someone as opposed to just sending me a replacement.
Besides getting my dish adjusted for the signal issues, I'm hoping I'll be able to get the tech to give me a 44. If not, my contract is up in June and I'll just get by until then and then jump ship back to Comcast - I've been losing 4-5 shows a week due to this problem...

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

-Greg
post #2018 of 2141 Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, as I continued to research, I found the same thread that said HR44 replacement is the only fix. I reluctantly called today. Since this was my second unit, they immediately escalated me to Case Management, so I didn't have to do all the tier 1 crap, thankfully. She did have me run several tests, which I begrudgingly did because she said the system would not let her set up a technician appointment without it. I've got a guy coming Friday. As far as I can tell I'm not being charged for the call. But she did say she cannot guarantee I'll get a 44. Depends on what the guy has on his truck. But the 34s have been replaced, so hopefully not a problem.

In the meantime, I can't watch the ABC shows that got borked bc Directv is not on the list of providers they allow. I hate this industry sometimes.
post #2019 of 2141 Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got mine about 4 months ago and the tech said that he hadn't seen any 34s for a while. He only had 44s on the truck and said that he had replaced a lot of 34s with 44s. I think you're pretty safe with getting a 44.
post #2020 of 2141 Old 05-01-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There are still HR34s being installed. Lots of refurbished ones around.
post #2021 of 2141 Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 773
today I read that AT&T has expressed interest in buying DirectTV:

I wonder how this will affect us?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #2022 of 2141 Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

There are still HR34s being installed. Lots of refurbished ones around.

I know that you have more knowledge about the national installs than I do. Hopefully he'll let us know what he ends up with, in my area (Riverside, Ca.) it's all 44s.
post #2023 of 2141 Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a 44! Woohoo! One look at it and the guy said "yup!"

Beside bragging about his salary, benefits, and family trust fund--unsolicitied, I might add--he told me he is the only certified wireless tech in my area. So I'm glad I got someone who knew what they were doing and didn't BS me around. Not that wireless had to do with anything, but it made me more confident I had a good tech.

Unfortunately, the new remote is not powering on/off my Onkyo receiver, but volume control works. I've tried every code listed. Guess I'm gonna have to pony up for a Logitech remote. Not to derail the thread, but any suggestions?
post #2024 of 2141 Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I got a 44! Woohoo! One look at it and the guy said "yup!"

Beside bragging about his salary, benefits, and family trust fund--unsolicitied, I might add--he told me he is the only certified wireless tech in my area. So I'm glad I got someone who knew what they were doing and didn't BS me around. Not that wireless had to do with anything, but it made me more confident I had a good tech.

Unfortunately, the new remote is not powering on/off my Onkyo receiver, but volume control works. I've tried every code listed. Guess I'm gonna have to pony up for a Logitech remote. Not to derail the thread, but any suggestions?
Try and find a 620 or 670. They will do everything you want them to do without having to deal with a built-in rechargeable battery. You can find them on eBay for $40-$60. I own two and have bought one for my parents and one for the in-laws.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.
post #2025 of 2141 Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Unfortunately the remotes do not power on/off AV receivers. Never understood why they designed it that way.
post #2026 of 2141 Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually was able to use the 34's remote for my receiver, albeit unconventionally. It had the hard switch so I would click that to Aux and could press a number to make the amp come on. Very strange. 3 would turn on for cable. 7 for the PS3. 8 for Apple TV. so power wouldn't turn the receiver on but for some reason it would turn it off. But even then I had to tap the power button twice. Weird, but it worked. Nothing doing on this new remote though. Just volume.
post #2027 of 2141 Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone experiencing the DirecTV screensaver coming on when watching live television? I have two HR20-700 receivers, and it used to just happen in my bedroom, but now it is also occurring in my living room.

I have disabled the power saving mode so this is not the cause. Tonight, I set my Hauppauge HD DVR to record the Billboard Music Awards in my bedroom receiver, intending to burn it to Blu-Ray and watch it later. Knowing that the screensaver tends to come on when you haven't turned the channel for hours, I purposely did not turn to the channel that the award show was on until it began. Nevertheless, when I went to shut off the Hauppauge, I noticed the screen save floating. I check the file and after about 2:18 minutes the screensaver came on, ruining my recording. Further, I could not back up and record the final 52 minutes because once the screensaver comes on it wipes out the previous minutes; i.e., no 90-minute backup. Gone.

Solutions? Seems like a long-standing problem and why DirecTV has not addressed the issue is inane. I don't even think DirecTV has acknowledged the problem!
post #2028 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Anyone experiencing the DirecTV screensaver coming on when watching live television? I have two HR20-700 receivers, and it used to just happen in my bedroom, but now it is also occurring in my living room.

I have disabled the power saving mode so this is not the cause. Tonight, I set my Hauppauge HD DVR to record the Billboard Music Awards in my bedroom receiver, intending to burn it to Blu-Ray and watch it later. Knowing that the screensaver tends to come on when you haven't turned the channel for hours, I purposely did not turn to the channel that the award show was on until it began. Nevertheless, when I went to shut off the Hauppauge, I noticed the screen save floating. I check the file and after about 2:18 minutes the screensaver came on, ruining my recording. Further, I could not back up and record the final 52 minutes because once the screensaver comes on it wipes out the previous minutes; i.e., no 90-minute backup. Gone.

Solutions? Seems like a long-standing problem and why DirecTV has not addressed the issue is inane. I don't even think DirecTV has acknowledged the problem!

I have been with Directv for more than 10 years and have 5 DVRs, one is an HR20 and I have never seen this happen. I do see some complaints about it around the net so some people are having the problem, no doubt about it. If I was seeing it I would hound them for a replacement DVR since the problem is not occurring with a vast majority of subs. Hope you can get it fixed!
post #2029 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I've had it happen to me a couple of times over the years while watching TV, and it happens a couple times a week on a couple of my receivers when I turn the TV off for a while and then go back and watch it the next day. Sometimes the screensaver is on. I too use the Hauppage HD-PVR with one of my receivers, but I've never had the problem on that receiver. I always have the channel changed automatically before the HD-PVR starts recording so that may be helping me. I rarely record shows that are more than two hours as well...

It's never really been more than a minor nuisance for me, but perhaps I will look into it more...
post #2030 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

I see this on one HR24 in my house:it also changes channels on its own sometimes: it is controlled by RS232 (via USB adapter) and I spent a lot of time thinking my programming of the remote control (RTI system with 2 way drivers) was sending out commands in error: not so: it is the box and I have become accustomed to it after realizing there is no fix since D will not even admit it is an issue

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #2031 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Absolutely. I gave up complaining. I have an HR-34 in the living room and it happens too much and an HR-24 in one bedroom and it happens once in a while.
How's this for another goofy issue; I get different local break in commercials in different rooms. All are set to my zip code but if two sets are on I can hear them running different ads. I've never seen an ad that shows where it' storm to help figure it out and the reset was sent. It is so weird.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #2032 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I've never had this happen while actually watching a program but I do see the screen saver sometimes if the TV was off or if I had been watching a different source. I assumed the receiver (HR24 (or HR23, can't remember for sure)) was detecting via HDMI that the dest was off or disconnected. (Why it would then put up the screen saver, I don't know.)

My system: 2 HR24s, a TiVo S3, and a blu-ray player all going through a Denon AVR to the TV via HDMI.
post #2033 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bpeacock22 :

Awesome! Glad you got a 44!

The tech came out last week and I told him about loosing 3-4 shows a week due to the "video freeze - audio continues" problem with live and recorded shows, and also told him the 34 would randomly jump from watching a recorded show right to channel 1.
He knew about the "freeze" issue and said he had one 44 left on the truck.
Besides installing the unit, he also told me all about the mini-genie's and the benefits of getting them. I had previously spoken with cust service about my "free 2 yr equipment upgrade" because I'm on the service plan. Other than saying the mini Genie's were smaller than the HR24's and that you could start recordings from them she knew nothing else about why I would want them.
I told her my 24's did the exact same things and she had nothing else to say. Between that and the 34 problems, I was ready to let my contract expire in June and go back to Comcast.
Thankfully the tech that installed the 44 told me all about the Mini's and how I would be able to get a 4th TV hooked up, in addition to my main TV, without running more coax lines to the dish (I was previously limited to the main 34 and 3 other TV's)
That alone sold me on them, not to mention that I could get on-demand through them, and web access (youtube, etc.) PLUS pause live TV which I couldn't do with the 24's.
The caveat is that each mini uses one of the 5 tuners on the 44, so if I'm recording 5 things (which has started happening more frequently if you can believe it) I won't be able to watch live TV on the mini's. A problem I can live with to get the other benefits.
Can't believe the size of the mini's either! Tiny!

Anyways, all my problems with the 34 are now gone, and the 44 interface is noticeably faster!

I did, of course, have to watch my old 94% full HR34 go out the door frown.gif I was luckily able to shoot a couple iPhone vids of the list of recordings so I could get the episode names and also my list of "season passes" or whatever they're called on DirecTV so now I can slowly use VOD to get much of this back.
(he wouldn't leave the old unit for 30 days like some have mentioned on here...said that's only true when they mail a new unit to you)

Oh, I had him set up all the mini's for RF so I no longer have to deal with the stray IR signals bouncing all over the place and messing with other units smile.gif

-Greg
post #2034 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Absolutely. I gave up complaining. I have an HR-34 in the living room and it happens too much and an HR-24 in one bedroom and it happens once in a while.
How's this for another goofy issue; I get different local break in commercials in different rooms. All are set to my zip code but if two sets are on I can hear them running different ads. I've never seen an ad that shows where it' storm to help figure it out and the reset was sent. It is so weird.
I get the screen saver issue very occasionally, maybe once every six weeks or so and I have five DVRs.

DirecTv sends "local" commercials to your DVR (includes their own), they are stored there and then inserted at commercial breaks. so it's not unusual so see different commercials at the same time on different boxes.
post #2035 of 2141 Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

I get the screen saver issue very occasionally, maybe once every six weeks or so and I have five DVRs.

DirecTv sends "local" commercials to your DVR (includes their own), they are stored there and then inserted at commercial breaks. so it's not unusual so see different commercials at the same time on different boxes.

That would explain it, thanks.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #2036 of 2141 Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just upgraded from an HR22 to the Genie HR44. I am using an external Fantom GreenDrive3 2TB drive eSata and am having some problems, About once an hour the screen will freeze and I will lose any use of the remote. It lasts about 30 sec. I thought it was the receiver but on closer inspection it only seems to happen when I am viewing something I recorded or when I go back in time in the buffer (does the buffer cashe use the hard drive?).

Now I am thinking it is the external hard drive. Could it be the hard drive has some bad sectors or I wonder if its too slow.

It's starting to get annoying, I can get another fast hard drive or I could get the HR44 replaced.

Any suggestions?
post #2037 of 2141 Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I just upgraded from an HR22 to the Genie HR44. I am using an external Fantom GreenDrive3 2TB drive eSata and am having some problems, About once an hour the screen will freeze and I will lose any use of the remote. It lasts about 30 sec. I thought it was the receiver but on closer inspection it only seems to happen when I am viewing something I recorded or when I go back in time in the buffer (does the buffer cashe use the hard drive?).

Now I am thinking it is the external hard drive. Could it be the hard drive has some bad sectors or I wonder if its too slow.

It's starting to get annoying, I can get another fast hard drive or I could get the HR44 replaced.

Any suggestions?

Have you used the unit without the external hard drive attached to see if the issue still persists?

post #2038 of 2141 Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Have you used the unit without the external hard drive attached to see if the issue still persists?

No I haven't done that. I was afraid that if I discontented the external hard drive and later hooked it up again I would lose all my recorded shows. Dose the receiver reformat the external hard drive again when you hook it back up?
When I first hooked it up I unplugged the receiver and then put in the eSata cable and then powered the receiver back up again. On the screen it said 'formatting the drive'. Maybe that only happens when it sees an un-formatted hard drive.
post #2039 of 2141 Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM

I've looked and can't seem to find my issue...

HR34, lost power.

Power restored and get zero output on all ports (HDMI, Component, etc).
Only have the DirecTV logo lit in the front, and both LEDs on for ethernet (nothing plugged in here) port in rear.

Tried: removing power and restoring it
Tried: red reset button under front door

Nothing changes the situation.

Is there anything I can do?

# Matt
post #2040 of 2141 Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn6 View Post

I've looked and can't seem to find my issue...

HR34, lost power.

Power restored and get zero output on all ports (HDMI, Component, etc).
Only have the DirecTV logo lit in the front, and both LEDs on for ethernet (nothing plugged in here) port in rear.

Tried: removing power and restoring it
Tried: red reset button under front door

Nothing changes the situation.

Is there anything I can do?

# Matt

Call and get a new one sent? I lost one in a storm once and had to get a new box. Worked out for the best as the new one was a HR24 (the storm knocked out my HR22).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders