DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2041 of 2103 Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Is there still no way, other than checking on the actual DVR through the menu, to see what programs you have scheduled to record?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2103 Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post
Is there still no way, other than checking on the actual DVR through the menu, to see what programs you have scheduled to record?
That's the only way....
post #2043 of 2103 Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
That's the only way....
Thanks.

Wow, it's 2014 and DIRECTV still doesn't seem to be able(or willing) to give their subscribers a very useful convenience feature TiVo has had for around a decade. Even cable company provided DVRs have this feature, what's the deal with DIRECTV?
post #2044 of 2103 Old 06-14-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Thanks.

Wow, it's 2014 and DIRECTV still doesn't seem to be able(or willing) to give their subscribers a very useful convenience feature TiVo has had for around a decade. Even cable company provided DVRs have this feature, what's the deal with DIRECTV?
...and there is a long list of things that DirecTV DVRs do that cable company's DVRs don't, so....

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2045 of 2103 Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Quote:
Thanks.

...and there is a long list of things that DirecTV DVRs do that cable company's DVRs don't, so....
Well sure, but this is such a simple thing and very handy, maybe it's a patent thing as many cable companies have licensed portions of TiVo's IP for use in their DVR functionality. DIRECTV has been touting the ability to watch TV via mobile devices yet you can't even tell what you have scheduled to record, it's ridiculous. In any case, clearly DIRECTV decided they didn't want to bother with this feature.
post #2046 of 2103 Old 06-15-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
[In reply to dreaux, "I just upgraded from an HR22 to the Genie HR44. ..."]
I don't have that DVR, but it sounds to me like a system software issue. Sometimes the system gets busy with various tasks and forgets that its first priority should be to react to user commands. Maybe the problem will go away with the next software update.

Greg Lee

Last edited by GregLee; 06-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
post #2047 of 2103 Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm throwing this out there, I've looked but can't figure out a way, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

My kids seem to be in love with repeatedly hitting the "R" button on every show they watch.

I went on a work trip for 5 days last week, came home, and there were, I kid you not, 310 shows in my to do list.

I cleared all of that out and read them the riot act. Go into the same menu the next day, another 57 were in the list. Riot act read again, but I really don't think it'll register.

Is there any way to set a passcode to record something?

Mark Vidonic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2048 of 2103 Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic View Post
I'm throwing this out there, I've looked but can't figure out a way, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

My kids seem to be in love with repeatedly hitting the "R" button on every show they watch.

I went on a work trip for 5 days last week, came home, and there were, I kid you not, 310 shows in my to do list.

I cleared all of that out and read them the riot act. Go into the same menu the next day, another 57 were in the list. Riot act read again, but I really don't think it'll register.

Not that I am aware of...
post #2049 of 2103 Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic View Post

Get a universal remote, hide the R button and hide the other DirecTV remotes. For example, on a typical UEI, you can easily reassign the R button to something else and put that function on a shifted (hidden) button. If you want to pursue that, I can give you the details. Here's a few cheap UEI remotes ($7-$13) that do everything your DirecTV remotes do and more (except RF), like learning and macros and the ability to put any function from any device on any button. If it makes you feel better, UEI also makes all DirecTV, Dish, and most cable TV remotes, as well as one-for-all, RCA, etc. Most cable remotes have DirecTV codes built in (CBL 1377 or 01377). If you get a JP1 cable for $8 on ebay, you can get even fancier, using some logic to enable/disable the R button based on a password.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-Cabl...item41826402e0

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-D.../dp/B0028IKXLS

Of course you could do similar tricks with other universals like Harmony or URC.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #2050 of 2103 Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Get a universal remote, hide the R button and hide the other DirecTV remotes. For example, on a typical UEI, you can easily reassign the R button to something else and put that function on a shifted (hidden) button. If you want to pursue that, I can give you the details. Here's a few cheap UEI remotes ($7-$13) that do everything your DirecTV remotes do and more (except RF), like learning and macros and the ability to put any function from any device on any button. If it makes you feel better, UEI also makes all DirecTV, Dish, and most cable TV remotes, as well as one-for-all, RCA, etc. Most cable remotes have DirecTV codes built in (CBL 1377 or 01377). If you get a JP1 cable for $8 on ebay, you can get even fancier, using some logic to enable/disable the R button based on a password.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-Cabl...item41826402e0

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-D.../dp/B0028IKXLS

Of course you could do similar tricks with other universals like Harmony or URC.
Good idea. Pretty well any kind of fully programmable remote would allow you to do this.
post #2051 of 2103 Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe it's just the parent in me, but after the second cycle of the children being inconsiderate, I would take away their access to the remote control entirely. That way, they would only be able to watch shows with explicit parental involvement. Likewise, they would get the opportunity to see all the wonderful commercials since they would have no control after a program was started by the parent. Spending your money to address their discipline problem is just plain silly. Not having TV when you are gone just might wake them up. Clearly, your "riot act" approach is not effective. Loss of TV control just might do the trick.

Another thought, parental controls CAN be applied in a variety of ways to limit what access the children have to channels and programs.

Also, remember that removing access to the R Button would in NO WAY limit the access to the recording function. "RECORD" can be selected in the Info menus.

Last edited by mjh99; 06-18-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Correction and addition
post #2052 of 2103 Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
pardon if this has been addressed:

my DVR's now show a pop up message when i tune to popular channels that I can press the <<button to watch from the beginning

I turned recording tips off: the pop up still appears

any way to turn them off?

TIA
post #2053 of 2103 Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
pardon if this has been addressed:

my DVR's now show a pop up message when i tune to popular channels that I can press the <<button to watch from the beginning

I turned recording tips off: the pop up still appears

any way to turn them off?

TIA
Since that is a new feature, you may have to deal with it until DTV decides enough subs know about it.
post #2054 of 2103 Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

To dim and/or turn off the front panel lights on a HR24 you just press and hold the left and right direction arrows simultaneously correct? Has this changed, as it doesn't seem to be working for me anymore?
post #2055 of 2103 Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
To dim and/or turn off the front panel lights on a HR24 you just press and hold the left and right direction arrows simultaneously correct? Has this changed, as it doesn't seem to be working for me anymore?
Trying changing the channel first. Also, don't hold just tap them at the same time. Sometimes, it works by tapping the left then the right arrow.
Keenan likes this.
post #2056 of 2103 Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Trying changing the channel first. Also, don't hold just tap them at the same time. Sometimes, it works by tapping the left then the right arrow.
It worked this morning, and I had changed channels last night so maybe that did it, thanks!
post #2057 of 2103 Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It worked this morning, and I had changed channels last night so maybe that did it, thanks!
I feel like I read that trying to dim the front panel doesn't work when the receiver is tuned a channel with interactive features like ESPN...of course, I could be making that up.
post #2058 of 2103 Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I feel like I read that trying to dim the front panel doesn't work when the receiver is tuned a channel with interactive features like ESPN...of course, I could be making that up.
That might be right as I was watching an MLB-EI channel last night when I was trying to get it to dim.
post #2059 of 2103 Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
That might be right as I was watching an MLB-EI channel last night when I was trying to get it to dim.
You guys got it right. Any interactive channel will prevent you from dimming the lights.
post #2060 of 2103 Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have the hr 24 Dvr. I was wondering if dtv has come out with any new Dvr's ? I'm getting some motion blurr during playback but my two biggest issues are how slow channel changeling is and I can't stand the auto skip back when fast forwarding thru commercials. Thanks Chris
post #2061 of 2103 Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
I have the hr 24 Dvr. I was wondering if dtv has come out with any new Dvr's ? I'm getting some motion blurr during playback but my two biggest issues are how slow channel changeling is and I can't stand the auto skip back when fast forwarding thru commercials. Thanks Chris
The Genie is their newest I believe. It is the HR-44. I never fast forward...did you reprogram the remote to do a 30 second skip? That is what I use to move past commercials. It is one of my favorite things on Directv DVRs, but they don't come setup that way.

What motion blur are you referring to? I get some when starting/stopping, skipping, or otherwise messing with normal playback...but never while watching at normal speed.

Also, did you turn native resolution off in the menus? That may help with the slow channel changing.
post #2062 of 2103 Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just had my trusty HR20-700 "mandatorily" swapped out for a HR24 and I notice that when I skip ahead(30 sec skip, not slip) I'll get some image breakup/pixelation just when the skip ends, which is something I never saw with the HR20. It's not really an issue as I'm skipping through that content anyway, but is it something normal for the HR24, or might it be that something is going bad with the DVR? Maybe a different make/model of the HDD or controller from the HR20?
post #2063 of 2103 Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you are getting motion blur it's coming from the source, not from the HR24....
There's auto skip back on all the DirecTV DVRs.
post #2064 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just had my trusty HR20-700 "mandatorily" swapped out for a HR24 and I notice that when I skip ahead(30 sec skip, not slip) I'll get some image breakup/pixelation just when the skip ends, which is something I never saw with the HR20. It's not really an issue as I'm skipping through that content anyway, but is it something normal for the HR24, or might it be that something is going bad with the DVR? Maybe a different make/model of the HDD or controller from the HR20?
How did they mandate that you swap DVRs ?
post #2065 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
How did they mandate that you swap DVRs ?
When I needed to have the dish realigned(moved actually) the tech said that DIRECTV was replacing all HR20's in the field with the more recent models, like the HR24. I've had the HR20-700 for what must be around 8 years or more and never had a problem with it. The replacement HR24 is not considered an equipment upgrade so there is no new contract obligation. So far, it seems just fine, other than that weird image breakup when landing from a skip, which isn't really an problem, just curious.
post #2066 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are getting motion blur it's coming from the source, not from the HR24....
There's auto skip back on all the DirecTV DVRs.
It's not the source, I've ruled that out. That auto skip back sarks IMO. Thanks for the reply
post #2067 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Unhappy

Quote:
The Genie is their newest I believe. It is the HR-44. I never fast forward...did you reprogram the remote to do a 30 second skip? That is what I use to move past commercials. It is one of my favorite things on Directv DVRs, but they don't come setup that way.

What motion blur are you referring to? I get some when starting/stopping, skipping, or otherwise messing with normal playback...but never while watching at normal speed.

Also, did you turn native resolution off in the menus? That may help with the slow channel changing.
Thanks. There is a little background blurr during normal playback. It's liveable . I will check my settings . The auto skip back I can't stand but it sounds like there is nothing I can do about it. Twc had a setting to disable it. Not so with dtv
post #2068 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not the source, I've ruled that out. That auto skip back sarks IMO. Thanks for the reply
How have you ruled out the source? If it's not the source, then it's probably the TV.
Do you have native on or off, and what resolutions are checkmarked?
post #2069 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I needed to have the dish realigned(moved actually) the tech said that DIRECTV was replacing all HR20's in the field with the more recent models, like the HR24. I've had the HR20-700 for what must be around 8 years or more and never had a problem with it. The replacement HR24 is not considered an equipment upgrade so there is no new contract obligation. So far, it seems just fine, other than that weird image breakup when landing from a skip, which isn't really an problem, just curious.
Thanks for the clarification, I wondered because I still have 1 HR20 running and it's a workhorse. I want to keep it for a while longer.
post #2070 of 2103 Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How have you ruled out the source? If it's not the source, then it's probably the TV.
Do you have native on or off, and what resolutions are checkmarked?
It's not the tv . I can watch something live while recording and it's fine. And then go back and watch the Dvr recording and once in a while get some blurr. It's not that big a deal.
I have native off. 1080 p is the only box checked. I had twc before I made the shift to dtv. I don't regret it at all but the channel changing was a lot faster and my biggest gripe is the skip back. I don't get why dtv doesn't give you the option to disable it like twc.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page