DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Media sharing will show up normally after you've gone into Windows media player and picked each DVR to share media with.
To watch recordings off the DVR on a PC, you need to download/install DirecTV2PC on each computer and get serial numbers for each install.

OK done that, but where does it show up? I don't see it.

Also when I go into Dtv menu to start Network stuff I get an error saying can't start network programs or something. The VOD and internet are working fine. Each DVR has an IP address and everything.

When I start Directv2pc it searches for Servers but doesn't find any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

OK done that, but where does it show up? I don't see it.

Also when I go into Dtv menu to start Network stuff I get an error saying can't start network programs or something. The VOD and internet are working fine. Each DVR has an IP address and everything.

When I start Directv2pc it searches for Servers but doesn't find any.

When it's there, it shows up just below "manage recordings" in the main menu.
I'd guess you're seeing can't start "network services", which isn't used for anything and doesn't matter.

Now having DirecTV2PC not find any receivers may point to the firewall or router as being the problem for both media sharing to the DVRs and streaming from the DVRs.

A.K.A. VOS
post #183 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Since I had to google NAS, I'm not anymore help than I've given.

Sorry. NAS: network attached storage. I have multiple devices that play from it over my wired network.

And after reading the above, I should include that DirecTV2pc works flawlessly.
post #184 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Sorry. NAS: network attached storage. I have multiple devices that play from it over my wired network.

"Yeah" Google showed me that, but it still doesn't make me any smarter. lol
Maybe if you loaded something like TVersity on it, you'd get it to work.
From here: http://tversity.com/
Quote:

We are pleased that TVersity has optimized its product around the industry accepted and open DLNA and UPNP Based protocols adopted by DIRECTV. Now our customers can use their DIRECTV box to enjoy all forms of personal and Internet media on their TVs using TVERSITY.

source: Romulo Pontual EVP of Engineering and CTO of DIRECTV

A.K.A. VOS
post #185 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Yeah" Google showed me that, but it still doesn't make me any smarter. lol
Maybe if you loaded something like TVersity on it, you'd get it to work.
From here: http://tversity.com/

Thanks. I'll look into that. What confuses me is that with my other DVR it worked. Just not yet with the new HR24.
post #186 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll look into that. What confuses me is that with my other DVR it worked. Just not yet with the new HR24.

Well now that you put it this way, it may be the HR24 and currently it is known to have some bugs and some of these are with media sharing [among some others].
These have significantly different chips sets and the firmware is still based on the older receivers. I've seen most of the models from the early days of the HR20 and up. All but the 24s have been fairly normal, where "a tweak here & a tweak there" has them working like the earlier models. The 24s haven't been able to be tweaked as easy and still have some bugs/glitches.
I've asked/suggested the software folks split off a version and focus it just for the 24s, but [not too unusual] they have yet to see my point of view.

A.K.A. VOS
post #187 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well now that you put it this way, it may be the HR24 and currently it is known to have some bugs and some of these are with media sharing [among some others].
These have significantly different chips sets and the firmware is still based on the older receivers. I've seen most of the models from the early days of the HR20 and up. All but the 24s have been fairly normal, where "a tweak here & a tweak there" has them working like the earlier models. The 24s haven't been able to be tweaked as easy and still have some bugs/glitches.
I've asked/suggested the software folks split off a version and focus it just for the 24s, but [not too unusual] they have yet to see my point of view.

Well it's weird. Since the 24 hookup the HR20-700 no longer can access the NAS or my computer for that matter.

I should look into my computer's settings (Win7)
post #188 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

"If it was me", and the choice was an HR23 or HR24, without a doubt, I'd jump on the HR24.
I'd then call DirecTV and have them send me [free] the BBCs it needs since it doesn't have the wideband tuners.

Quote:

You may want to hold off recommending the HR24 over the HR23 for newbies if there's still bugs in it. Unless you like answering all the questions - which you do very well BTW.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #189 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

You may want to hold off recommending the HR24 over the HR23 for newbies if there's still bugs in it. Unless you like answering all the questions - which you do very well BTW.

Dana

I guess I'm still a bit of a dreamer and even though the 24 isn't as mature as the dog slow others, it still is a cut above for daily use.

A.K.A. VOS
post #190 of 2103 Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

Yes it does. I hooked one up for a buddy the other day and I was surprised it needed them.

Quote:

"Yes" the 24 line is focused for the SWiM installs and has the internal DECA, which only works on the SWiM systems.
If you don't want to use DECA, you can use the ethernet port and if you don't have a SWiM system, then you need BBC(s).
Using the wideband tuner chip just didn't make any sense.

Thanks guys....I did call and get MRV turned on through ethernet on my network....it's like having 4 tuners and 2 harddrives to record with....shouldn't have no more conflicting recordings when you can just record on the other DVR and watch on either TV....works great
post #191 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well now that you put it this way, it may be the HR24 and currently it is known to have some bugs and some of these are with media sharing [among some others]...

I'd like to know (as I'm sure others would) if there's a combination of HR24s plus associated hardware (DECA, etc.) that minimizes or even avoids the bugs/glitches to which you alluded. I'm thinking of getting two 24s as a stopgap until the TiVos arrive. I myself would want mainly just to watch recordings made off the satellites, frequently using MRV; if MediaShare does other things, I probably wouldn't mind if those things have glitches.

And I hope that D* does split off a software version just for the 24s. Please keep us apprised if anything happens on that front.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #192 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

For your intended uses the HR24 is already flawless. I have one and can't imagine how TiVo could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post

I'd like to know (as I'm sure others would) if there's a combination of HR24s plus associated hardware (DECA, etc.) that minimizes or even avoids the bugs/glitches to which you alluded. I'm thinking of getting two 24s as a stopgap until the TiVos arrive. I myself would want mainly just to watch recordings made off the satellites, frequently using MRV; if MediaShare does other things, I probably wouldn't mind if those things have glitches.

And I hope that D* does split off a software version just for the 24s. Please keep us apprised if anything happens on that front.

post #193 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

... One reason there are several current models is that D* contracts with different OEMs. The suffix after the dash in the model number indicates which OEM made the STB. - 100 = RCA. - 600 = LG. - 700 = Pace. - 200 = Samsung. I suppose as the contracts are let, D* draws up new specs to include the latest bells and whistles, not all of which broadly apply to every situation.

That last thought leads me to wonder if maybe the newest HR24 (the -100 by Technicolor) is better in some small ways than the -500 by Humax. Just speculatin' here.

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #194 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For your intended uses the HR24 is already flawless. I have one and can't imagine how TiVo could be better.

Thanks for the endorsement of the HR24. Naturally, I can and do imagine that TiVo might be better.

post #195 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the endorsement of the HR24. Naturally, I can and do imagine that TiVo might be better.

First, you'd have to imagine that cable might be better than D*. And I can't get there from here.

Oops. You're talking about the soon to be forthcoming Tivo for satellite. Vaporware at this point. Much promised. Never delivered.

Dana

post #196 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just don't use media share to the receivers, so have as much info as you've read about them.
I've got my AVR shipped off to the software folks to use to resolve the Dolby issue with the HR24-500s. Not sure about the HR24-100, since I don't have one. Even with the -500, some never saw them, while others do. Not sure why this is other than some may not be as sensitive/aware of them. I've beat the crap out of them [Dolby issues] and know they're there.
Currently "my work-a-round" is to MRV my recording from the 24 to my other HR20s.

A.K.A. VOS
post #197 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That last thought leads me to wonder if maybe the newest
HR24 (the -100 by Technicolor) is better in some small ways than the -500 by Humax. Just speculatin' here.

I'd kind of doubt this, as they [the -100s] are a couple of months behind the -500s in development.
"Regretfully" the 24s seem to be repeating the early days [08/06 to 03/07] of the HR20s, which I don't think we saw with the models in between.

A.K.A. VOS
post #198 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Boom! Like that. Today it works perfectly without me changing anything.

VOS, I haven't seen anything about the Dolby problem. Is there a thread where you've discussed it?
post #199 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VOS, I haven't seen anything about the Dolby problem. Is there a thread where you've discussed it?

"One of them" is: here

A.K.A. VOS
post #200 of 2103 Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure what was but my HR20/700 has software 0x3df and the HR24/500 has 0x3e0. This is a month old so I can't see why it should suddenly be working.
post #201 of 2103 Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Help! I have a HR24 and I want to know if I can get better pq? I have a plasma(pio) and I have a hdmi ran. My prob is the blacks are grey and washed. Is there a fix or do I have to settle with this.

"AK-47-The very best there is. When you absolutely positively gotta kill every MF in the room-Accept no substitutes"
post #202 of 2103 Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedYou View Post

Help! I have a HR24 and I want to know if I can get better pq? I have a plasma(pio) and I have a hdmi ran. My prob is the blacks are grey and washed. Is there a fix or do I have to settle with this.

Sounds like you need to cal that input on your TV.

A.K.A. VOS
post #203 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Question for all of you. My sister in law had her install today. She requested an HR24 but the installer didn't have any, and they gave her an HR-20. We want to order an HR24 from another source but still get a credit for it once it comes in.

How do we go about this? I know some have had luck getting DirecTV to credit their accounts for upgrading but this is for a first install where the HD DVR is free. I called D* this morning and they told us to accept the HR20 and then just send it back when we get the 24. I just want to make sure she doesn't end up paying $200 for the 24.
post #204 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedYou View Post

How do you know that the HR24 is causing this? Did you have another source connected to the same input that resulted in better PQ? We need more info please.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #205 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Question for all of you. My sister in law had her install today. She requested an HR24 but the installer didn't have any, and they gave her an HR-20. We want to order an HR24 from another source but still get a credit for it once it comes in.

How do we go about this? I know some have had luck getting DirecTV to credit their accounts for upgrading but this is for a first install where the HD DVR is free. I called D* this morning and they told us to accept the HR20 and then just send it back when we get the 24. I just want to make sure she doesn't end up paying $200 for the 24.

You might want to check out the info I posted here on "buying" a replacement HD DVR and then getting reimbursed.

But, does your sister want the advanced networking features the HR24 offers? Or does she just want the latest and greatest HD DVR for personal use. I ask because VOS mentions above that the HR24 apparently is buggy at this point. For newbies, that could be annoying as compared with an HR23 for instance that doesn't have all the new networking features but is more stable.

Your call.

Dana

post #206 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

OK so the best bet is to go through retention then? I told her to get the latest and greatest but an HR23 would be fine too. I just think a refurbished HR-20 on the first install is an insult.
post #207 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK so the best bet is to go through retention then? I told her to get the latest and greatest but an HR23 would be fine too. I just think a refurbished HR-20 on the first install is an insult.

Currently there is a BIG shortage of HD receivers due to the overwhelming response to the Whole Home DVR service.

While you might feel the HR20 is an insult, they aren't.
The HR24 is by far the fastest.
The HR20 is next for speed.
The H21/22/23 all are the slowest [least CPU power], though the 22 & 23 have a larger drive [500 GB verses the 300 in the 20s].
I'm still using the 2 HR20s I got back in the beginning [fall '06 & spring '07] and have retired my HR21, for my HR24.

A.K.A. VOS
post #208 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That happened to me when I rejoined D* after a brief period of insanity during which I went back to cable. (A BAD decision.) I got a pretty beat up refurb after having returned a brand new model a few months before. So, I worked a deal with Retention as described in my earlier post.

D* considers a working HD DVR to be just that. All the HR2x HD DVRs are considered current models. Some folks could care less as long as it works. I say, let them have the refurbs.

Dana

post #209 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Currently there is a BIG shortage of HD receivers due to the overwhelming response to the Whole Home DVR service.

While you might feel the HR20 is an insult, they aren't.
The HR24 is by far the fastest.
The HR20 is next for speed.
The H21/22/23 all are the slowest [least CPU power], though the 22 & 23 have a larger drive [500 GB verses the 300 in the 20s].
I'm still using the 2 HR20s I got back in the beginning [fall '06 & spring '07] and have retired my HR21, for my HR24.

That's very good information, I'll plead ignorance on this issue. I have the HR23 at my house. I just wanted her to get whatever was newer since this is a new install. I just felt that her getting a DVR that was four generations old AND a refurb was not cool. However, if you say it's faster than my HR23 I'll tell her to stick with it for now.
post #210 of 2103 Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been told to expect a month or two of refurbs being used until the supply chain can catch up to the demand.
Since refurbs have been anything but "stellar", I'd suggest everyone wring the hell out of them first to make sure they're working fulling.

They seem to come in these states:

1) Customer's closed accounts and there was no defect.

2) There was a defect and it was found with the limited testing by the refurb contractor.

3) There was a defect that got completely missed/overlooked by the refurb contractor.

A.K.A. VOS
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page