DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2101 of 2129 Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, the HR44-500 is blazingly fast, and that speed is there with the new remote as well as the old remote - I'm actually using a Harmony 880 and there's no difference between it and the DIRECTV remotes. I was really startled with how fast it was after using sluggish DVRs from DIRECTV for so many years including the well regarded HR20-700.
Same here. Harmony One is just as quick.
Keenan likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2129 Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Same here. Harmony One is just as quick.
Thanks, for the comments. I think I will go ahead and get an HR44. I'm not into football and I wouldn't watch most of showtime, I already watch too much TV. I assume that I will have another 2 year contract. I have a question though. I have 2 coax coming from my dish to my HR24. I understand that I will only need one for the HR 44. Will I need a different dish, or how does that work? I think I read that there is a swm box that needs power? I assume that would be at the receiver.
thanks

drkashner
post #2103 of 2129 Old 08-24-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post
Thanks, for the comments. I think I will go ahead and get an HR44. I'm not into football and I wouldn't watch most of showtime, I already watch too much TV. I assume that I will have another 2 year contract. I have a question though. I have 2 coax coming from my dish to my HR24. I understand that I will only need one for the HR 44. Will I need a different dish, or how does that work? I think I read that there is a swm box that needs power? I assume that would be at the receiver.
thanks
It depends on your dish set up/cable runs. On mine they were able to keep the old dish.

post #2104 of 2129 Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 AM

So I got my HR44 through the loyalty program, friday a week ago. I found a disadvantage from my HR20. Apparently the HR44 doesn't record when it is not turned on. When I'm at home, I would always turn on my local news at noon. If I was out doing something, and didn't come in the house right at noon, I was always able to rewind it to the beginning because I always left the dvr on the local channel. I tried that and it will only go back to the point where I turned the dvr on. Also, whats with the fast forward. I always fast forward through commercials and it would back up to compensate for not stopping exactly at the point where the commercial ended but it doesn't seem to do that. I never got used to using the 30 second skip that most people like. I've been trying that but that doesn't always work out either.

drkashner
post #2105 of 2129 Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Do you mean turn it off, or put it in standby?

It does record when in standby, although there's really never any reason to put it in standby to begin with. My HR44 has been running 24/7 for nearly 2 years.

It does have autocorrect when ffing, but it's not as much as the HR2X's, IIRC.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #2106 of 2129 Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have 2 HR24-100 receivers and when I watch or download a movie on OnDemand I get audio drop outs. It happens every few seconds and on both receivers. I hadn't used OnDemand for a long time and just started using it the past month and noticed the problem.

I called DirecTV and they don't know what would be causing it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
post #2107 of 2129 Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post
I have 2 HR24-100 receivers and when I watch or download a movie on OnDemand I get audio drop outs. It happens every few seconds and on both receivers. I hadn't used OnDemand for a long time and just started using it the past month and noticed the problem.

I called DirecTV and they don't know what would be causing it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Are you waiting until they have finished downloading to watch them? Do you run the audio straight to the TV or through an AVR?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #2108 of 2129 Old 09-22-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Are you waiting until they have finished downloading to watch them? Do you run the audio straight to the TV or through an AVR?
I usually wait until they have downloaded. It happens while streaming and playing from a downloaded movie. I have the audio going straight through to my TVs with HDMI. Both receivers do it on different TVs. It happens when playing though component connections too.
post #2109 of 2129 Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post
Do you mean turn it off, or put it in standby?

It does record when in standby, although there's really never any reason to put it in standby to begin with. My HR44 has been running 24/7 for nearly 2 years.

It does have autocorrect when ffing, but it's not as much as the HR2X's, IIRC.
So you just leave it 'on'. Do you let it go to power saving mode then. Last night I tested this. I had a channel on for awhile and I could rewind it. The remote turns my tv and dvr off, so I turned them off. Waited a min. and turned them both back on. and I was not able to rewind back. The progress bar at the bottom starts new, from when I turned it back on. My HR 24 wouldn't have done that. It would have left me rewind the whole 90 min. if it had been on the same channel.

drkashner
post #2110 of 2129 Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
You're already entitled to a free upgrade as it is. I've only been w/ them 12yrs, and they upgraded me to the Genie for free(so don't waste it on that). Go for one of the other 2 options. Btw, thrilled to death w the Genie's speedy remote response and performance.
The Genie upgrade is a normal perk-take the football or the Showtime- WTF! I've been with them since like the start- and they have yet to offer me this! Bought my 1st set up -assembled it, installed it , and the days of two providers, USSB and DTV.
My cuz shelled out $700.00 for it, I went $300.00 for a wally world sale.
Then had to buy my 1st HD receiver I still own, hmmm, I'm throwing this up to them. It ought to be the same for all original customers!!
post #2111 of 2129 Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
The Genie upgrade is a normal perk-take the football or the Showtime- WTF! I've been with them since like the start- and they have yet to offer me this! Bought my 1st set up -assembled it, installed it , and the days of two providers, USSB and DTV.
My cuz shelled out $700.00 for it, I went $300.00 for a wally world sale.
Then had to buy my 1st HD receiver I still own, hmmm, I'm throwing this up to them. It ought to be the same for all original customers!!
They offer quite a bit if you are not under contract. Anytime they give you "free" equipment, you are agreeing to another 2-yr. contract. Also, when you contact Directv you should always repeat "cancel" when progressing through the automated system so that you end up with the retention department. They will have a pre-determined list of things they can offer you based on payment history, current services, length of history with company, etc.

Often, I call to cancel a premium and end up with months of credits without asking....
joe221 likes this.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #2112 of 2129 Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They offer quite a bit if you are not under contract. Anytime they give you "free" equipment, you are agreeing to another 2-yr. contract. Also, when you contact Directv you should always repeat "cancel" when progressing through the automated system so that you end up with the retention department. They will have a pre-determined list of things they can offer you based on payment history, current services, length of history with company, etc.

Often, I call to cancel a premium and end up with months of credits without asking....
Yep. I always wait til my contract is closer to the expiration, then I call and get whatever in exchange for another 2yr contract. Why not? It's not like I'm unhappy w/ their service, and no competitor's offering anything better.

post #2113 of 2129 Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. I always wait til my contract is closer to the expiration, then I call and get whatever in exchange for another 2yr contract. Why not? It's not like I'm unhappy w/ their service, and no competitor's offering anything better.
I don't re-up unless the equipment is worth the hassle.
post #2114 of 2129 Old 09-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I was having the same issue and many others were also. If you turn off Dolby Digital in the menu, it will stop the audio dropouts. The last thing I downloaded, another episode of Boardwalk Empire, didn't skip anymore. Not sure if they have this fixed or not now, but hoping so.
post #2115 of 2129 Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
I was having the same issue and many others were also. If you turn off Dolby Digital in the menu, it will stop the audio dropouts. The last thing I downloaded, another episode of Boardwalk Empire, didn't skip anymore. Not sure if they have this fixed or not now, but hoping so.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Edit: I changed the setting, downloaded a movie and still have the same issue.

Last edited by Burnerbum; 09-25-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #2116 of 2129 Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe someone can help me out. Ive looked all over. Ive been Dtv customer for about 10 years and just about 3 months ago I had new hardware installed (HR44-200 and a C4-1500 Mini). I have no problems with the HR44, but the mini has a lot of pixelation and audio syncing problems. They come and go, but are definitely present. Ive had a tech come out, but he couldnt find anything wrong. The pixelation tends to happen mostly in the evening. The audio sync issue happens all the time. Im not sure what to do. Ive googled and notices others having issues, but no results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2117 of 2129 Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot9802 View Post
Maybe someone can help me out. Ive looked all over. Ive been Dtv customer for about 10 years and just about 3 months ago I had new hardware installed (HR44-200 and a C4-1500 Mini). I have no problems with the HR44, but the mini has a lot of pixelation and audio syncing problems. They come and go, but are definitely present. Ive had a tech come out, but he couldnt find anything wrong. The pixelation tends to happen mostly in the evening. The audio sync issue happens all the time. Im not sure what to do. Ive googled and notices others having issues, but no results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Has the unit been swapped out yet? If not, call and make up some bad problem (no picture, etc.) and go through all their troubleshooting saying nothing fixes it...they should then send you a new unit.
post #2118 of 2129 Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having an issue with one of my HR24-100 units. When I press a button on the remote it takes anywhere from 45 - 60 seconds to respond. If I press guide, it brings up the screen for the guide but takes up to a minute to populate the information. If I press the down arrow to change tuners, the screen goes black and I wait. Once it responds to something it's ok until I don't use the remote again for a little while. The remote works well, and has new batteries.

I've tried resetting the unit twice and unplugged it for about an hour to reset it but it still acts the same. It seems like the lag started when the latest software was installed back on 8/21.

Does anyone know if it's possible to force it to download and reinstall the software. I don't know what else to try.
post #2119 of 2129 Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm having an issue with one of my HR24-100 units. When I press a button on the remote it takes anywhere from 45 - 60 seconds to respond. If I press guide, it brings up the screen for the guide but takes up to a minute to populate the information. If I press the down arrow to change tuners, the screen goes black and I wait. Once it responds to something it's ok until I don't use the remote again for a little while. The remote works well, and has new batteries.

I've tried resetting the unit twice and unplugged it for about an hour to reset it but it still acts the same. It seems like the lag started when the latest software was installed back on 8/21.

Does anyone know if it's possible to force it to download and reinstall the software. I don't know what else to try.
You can try doing a two restarts within 30 minutes, that clears out the guide cache. If that doesn't help is sounds like the Harddrive might be starting to go and a call to DIRECTV is the next step to get a replacement.
post #2120 of 2129 Old 10-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the same lag on an HR20-700 - and started around the 8/21 update. Sometimes I get the blank guide screen and sometimes it populates faster. The "faster" is still slower than before. I think it has to do with the software upgrade.
post #2121 of 2129 Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
I have the same lag on an HR20-700 - and started around the 8/21 update. Sometimes I get the blank guide screen and sometimes it populates faster. The "faster" is still slower than before. I think it has to do with the software upgrade.
I'm going to try an external HDD with it, that would eliminate the HDD question. I've got drives but don't have a esata ext. drive case. I wish USB would work, I have lots of those. I have a 2tb ext drive on my other HR24 and it gives me lots of storage but I can't use that, it will format the drive.

One other, Off topic question: When I get an email from AVS the link to the thread no longer shows as a hyperlink, I have to copy and paste it into my browser. All my other emails work fine, just AVS. I'm using Outlook 2007. Is there something I need to change in my user preferences on AVS to make this work again?
post #2122 of 2129 Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Has the unit been swapped out yet? If not, call and make up some bad problem (no picture, etc.) and go through all their troubleshooting saying nothing fixes it...they should then send you a new unit.
Ill try that next
post #2123 of 2129 Old 10-13-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I read where DirecTV has enabled HDCP for premium channels; e.g., HBO. That means you cannot view unless you have an HDCP compliant television unless you use component cables.

My question: If you record an HBO movie via component and burn to BD-R, can you play it via the PS3 over HDMI on an HDCP compliant television? I have an older HDTV that is not HDCP compliant, and I can view on my HDTV via my PS3 connected via HDMI; would I havea problem viewing on the newer HDTV's; e.g., Samsung F8500 that have HDCP? Thanks!

(would it make a difference if attempted to play via HDMI with PS4?)

Last edited by igreg; 10-13-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #2124 of 2129 Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I read where DirecTV has enabled HDCP for premium channels; e.g., HBO. That means you cannot view unless you have an HDCP compliant television unless you use component cables.

My question: If you record an HBO movie via component and burn to BD-R, can you play it via the PS3 over HDMI on an HDCP compliant television? I have an older HDTV that is not HDCP compliant, and I can view on my HDTV via my PS3 connected via HDMI; would I havea problem viewing on the newer HDTV's; e.g., Samsung F8500 that have HDCP? Thanks!

(would it make a difference if attempted to play via HDMI with PS4?)
I don't have a PS3, but I believe the answer would be yes. The content you would be streaming wouldn't have any copy protection on it so there would be nothing for HDCP to stop. I record some content via component cables to h.264 file formats and stream it via my computers to various HDCP compliant devices without any issues.
post #2125 of 2129 Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 AM

Liked: 0
looking for Info for an HR22-100, the old thread seems dead...

I'm trying to do some work on an HR22-100 I have laying around, I know its old and D* TV isn't using it anymore, but it still a decent hardware device with 2 built in TV tuners. Problem is, for what I have in mind I need legitimate hardware specification information, and no matter how hard I try, or where i look i can't find anything. Can anyone tell me what hardware is inside the box, things like processor type (AMD64, PIII, sparc, exc...), tuner cards (Hauppauge WinTV, Asus MyCinema, Compro VideoMate, exc...), NIC, Card reader, and graphics card/video out information, is really what I'm looking for. Some sort of depot level Mx guide, or component repair manual would be perfect if its out there. Thank you for whatever help you can provide in advance. -John
post #2126 of 2129 Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New HR44 user

After getting an upgrade to the 44, I found a problem that I haven't been able to solve. Sometimes I watch 480i programming in 4x3. My 2013 LG handles it very well. When choosing TV resolutions, 480i is marked as "not supported by TV". This is untrue.

Is there a way to solve this?

TIA

Tony
post #2127 of 2129 Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Hi all -

I made an interesting discovery while troubleshooting slow download speeds on my DirecTV when watching On-Demand content last night and I thought I'd share

When you have your DirecTV receiver connected to the internet behind a router, most of the documentation available just says that you need to open up the STB Services and Audio Services ports listed in (Menu -> ....setup -> system setup -> network setup -> Advanced) and point those ports to the IP address for your DirecTV receiver. With this setup, On-Demand content was constantly buffering and pausing. I discovered another post that pointed to opening the L2TP port (UDP 1701) and pointing it at your DTV receiver as well. Once I did so and restarted my receiver, I saw a HUGE difference in performance getting on-demand content. If you're having issues, you may wish to try this as well! It might have been the lateness of the hour, but it seemed to me like the receiver booted up faster and was more responsive as well.

Since L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) is primarily used for VPN connectivity, I'm guessing that opening the port allows the DirecTV receiver to connect to the inside of DirecTV's network rather than outside over the network. Not having to wait for that negotiation could explain the faster boot up, too.

Hope this helps others!

Mike

HDTV - Sony 65W850 / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 / Single Polk FXiA4 rear surround/ PSA XS15se sub
post #2128 of 2129 Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you I will give that a try. My receiver is so slow.
post #2129 of 2129 Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
You can try doing a two restarts within 30 minutes, that clears out the guide cache. If that doesn't help is sounds like the Harddrive might be starting to go and a call to DIRECTV is the next step to get a replacement.
I finally got around to connecting an external Harddrive and you were right, now the DVR is working fine. Is there any way to format the internal drive. I would like to try that before I call DTV. I'm going to loose all my content either way.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page