DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2161 of 2173 Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
Your problem is most unusual - if fact, so unusual that I suggest there's something wrong that affects all your systems. A grounding problem comes to mind.
The HR23s almost always fail because of a disk drive problem, not a mother board.
Same with TiVos.
Swap the downstairs and upstairs DVRs and see what happens.
There is a fair amount of gear in both equipment bays, so a swap like that would be non-trivial. Plus, I'm skeptical about this explanation: how does each setup work fine for over two years -- no changes or tampering along the way -- and then, suddenly out of the blue, there's a grounding problem ? I also think the tech would have detected this, as he went over everything carefully.

I think I can also say that real 771 problems don't just disappear when you reboot.

[The HR 23s were quite awhile ago, by this point. Now that I think back on it, one of them had the HDD burn out, and on the other one it was the MB. I initially suspected the power supply board, but I had a spare here and swapping it in did not solve the problem, leading me to narrow the cause down further.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2173 Old 11-20-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
There is a fair amount of gear in both equipment bays, so a swap like that would be non-trivial. Plus, I'm skeptical about this explanation: how does each setup work fine for over two years -- no changes or tampering along the way -- and then, suddenly out of the blue, there's a grounding problem ? I also think the tech would have detected this, as he went over everything carefully.

I think I can also say that real 771 problems don't just disappear when you reboot.

[The HR 23s were quite awhile ago, by this point. Now that I think back on it, one of them had the HDD burn out, and on the other one it was the MB. I initially suspected the power supply board, but I had a spare here and swapping it in did not solve the problem, leading me to narrow the cause down further.]
Just FYI, "real" 771 problems CAN disappear when you reboot. Rebooting switches tuners, and marginal signal levels might not affect the other the same (particularly since it almost certainly will be on a different transponder).
post #2163 of 2173 Old 11-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My HR34, a refurbished replacement unit, is a POS. It's unbelievable slow in response to the remote. I am eligible to receive a free upgrade. A couple of questions:

What is the newest and 'best' all round Genie?

Will Directv only send me a new piece of equipment if I commit to a certain time frame, such as two years?

Any advice appreciated.

Bish
post #2164 of 2173 Old 11-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

My HR34, a refurbished replacement unit, is a POS. It's unbelievable slow in response to the remote. I am eligible to receive a free upgrade. A couple of questions:

Will Directv only send me a new piece of equipment if I commit to a certain time frame, such as two years?

Any advice appreciated.

Bish
post #2165 of 2173 Old 11-28-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

Any advice appreciated.

Bish
First, you can't "upgrade" to a different Genie. DirecTv considers them all the same. What you need to do is call and tell the CSR your Genie won't power up at all. Also say before it failed you were having signal problems. Get a service call, you might have to pay $50 for this if you are not on the service plan. Then when the service guy calls you, or when he arrives, insist on an HR44 as a replacement.
If you don't arrange a service call, you might just get another HR34 (even if the CSR tells you it's going to be an Hr44).
The HR54 is the latest Genie but it's only available in certain areas. The processor etc is exactly the same as the HR44 so its not an issue. The HR54 has the ability to drive a C61K 4K genie, but it's probably going to be early next year before there's an linear 4K and we expect people who need an HR54 will be able to get a swapout (no guarantee though).
If the HR44 is a replacement for an HR34 that won't power up, it will not extend your contract.
post #2166 of 2173 Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been having issues with the premium channels for the past year. Many times when I try to watch a movie the video stutters and the sound breaks up. This occurs more on the channels and movies that can be started over from the beginning.

I have 2 HR24/100 units. This happens with both receivers and at both of my houses with the same equipment. I live in different homes for the winter and summer (retired). I have had DirecTv service out to both locations a number of times but they can't find anything wrong. My signals are all in the 90.s to 100%. My brother is having the same issue with his equipment.

I'm at the point where I may be forced to change service if I can't get the resolved. I'm paying for these premium channels and sometimes can't even watch a movie because it stutters so bad.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I've had DirecTv for 15+ years now and hate the thought of having to go back to cable.
post #2167 of 2173 Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Question DISH Hopper User considering DTV Genie....seeking input

Hi everyone,

I am a current (and relatively happy) DISH Hopper DVR user. I have 3 Joeys (wired) connected and drive a Vizio P series 4k TV for the home theater. The system has served me well, and I think that DISH's HD picture and sound quality are pretty good. The hoppers interface is getting a bit long in the tooth, and it's starting to be a bit laggy, but still tolerable.

I am considering a DTV Genie/4k Genie DVR only because the GF is a hard-core football fan, and would love to have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I am looking for some feedback from the user community on the Genie as a home theater DVR and HD/4k hub.

Would love some feedback on the HR34 DVR (is that the current model?), specifically interface quality, speed, resolutions supported, DVR function, extensibility (driving other TVs) and also 4k programming quality.

thanks!
post #2168 of 2173 Old 12-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
A Fix, At Last !

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
Just FYI, "real" 771 problems CAN disappear when you reboot. Rebooting switches tuners, and marginal signal levels might not affect the other the same (particularly since it almost certainly will be on a different transponder).
I'm pleased to be able to report a favorable update on the problems I first posted in #2158 . This won't involve a tech explanation with any certainty: the finer points of networking really aren't my thing.

I had been using Linksys WET610N wireless bridge adapters at both main viewing locations -- mostly with success in providing the DTV On Demand and TV Apps features, for around 5 years. I originally got these because someone at DTV Tech Support had told me that they could provide this functionality in lieu of the DTV Cinema Connection Kit (as could at least a couple of other such devices, although none of these would be officially supported), and at the time I was able to purchase them for less than half of what the CCK was being sold for.

My working hypothesis now is that both of these Linksys bridge adapters have become fatally compromised in some way. Perhaps an EEPROM can no longer retain settings, or something like that. Evidence for this would be that no amount of hard Resets, troubleshooting steps, reboots in tandem with the HR-24, or settings changes can get the bridge's lower LED to stop blinking red, when it should be a solid blue, and that neither unit will accept a "do-over" installation from its setup software, but instead just returns an "Error 107." I consulted Linksys tech support, asking them if these things could just burn out or stop working after 5 years, and was told 'Yes.' To pursue this any further, I would have to pay a support fee, which I considered a waste of money at this point.

Anyway, the price on the CCK has since come down drastically -- at least on eBay, even for sealed units -- and I had bought one. A DTV TSR recently told me that the CCK has a rather different way of going about providing the internet access portion of service, compared to a bridge adapter like the ones I'd been using. O.K., worth a try.

It took some fiddling, and working through the CCK setup process a couple times, including some judiciously timed receiver reboots. At first, I was having trouble picking up any networks, or then later getting to the step where you are asked to input a security key. One stumbling block turned out to be that DTV inexplicably does not support an ampersand character -- you know, as in "AT&T" -- which I've used for many years, so I'd have to make this change for every wireless device accessing the home network -- a major pain in the rear ! Still, thanks to Eddie in tech support.

The end result has paid off, though. The On Demand etc. that was lost in the primary viewing location several weeks ago has now been restored. After that success, I got a second CCK for the other viewing location, whose receiver I thought had entirely lost its networking capability. That one had been down for months, as far as these features go. On Demand and TV App features have since been restored there as well.

So far so good, but I still have to envy a friend of mine a couple of counties distant, who has Verizon FIOS service -- not available here. Everything comes in there on a single fat pipe -- not bifurcated between a dish and your router / home network, which must work in perfect conjunction -- and which is apparently not susceptible to these kinds of problems.

Last edited by Seeker47; 12-25-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #2169 of 2173 Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Had my problematic HR-34 replaced with an HR-44 and am so far very happy. Switching functions are so much faster. Surprisingly I truly believe that the 'picture' delivered to my TV looks better also. Colour seem more vibrant and a little sharper. Nothing else has changed in the video 'chain', just the HR-44. Even my wife notices it. Lastly we've had to bump up the TV volume from it's norm as the audio volume supplied from the HR-44 appears to be less than that of the 34.
Bish
post #2170 of 2173 Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Had my problematic HR-34 replaced with an HR-44 and am so far very happy. Switching functions are so much faster. Surprisingly I truly believe that the 'picture' delivered to my TV looks better also. Colour seem more vibrant and a little sharper. Nothing else has changed in the video 'chain', just the HR-44. Even my wife notices it. Lastly we've had to bump up the TV volume from it's norm as the audio volume supplied from the HR-44 appears to be less than that of the 34.
Bish
post #2171 of 2173 Old 04-10-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently have 2 HR24 DVRs with 2tb ext drives attached to them. I just called DTV to try and get my bill down. $190.00 a month is just too much. They said they could save me about 40.00 a month by going to the Genie (with 2 yr commitment). But from what they told me the Genie only has a 1tb drive. So my questions are:

Can you attach larger external hard drives to these?
Are the remotes RF or IR? RF is very important to me.
Are there any other concerns I should know about before giving up my old equipment other than I will loose all my recordings on the drives?

What is the latest model I should look for?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #2172 of 2173 Old 04-12-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post
I currently have 2 HR24 DVRs with 2tb ext drives attached to them. I just called DTV to try and get my bill down. $190.00 a month is just too much. They said they could save me about 40.00 a month by going to the Genie (with 2 yr commitment). But from what they told me the Genie only has a 1tb drive. So my questions are:

Can you attach larger external hard drives to these?
Are the remotes RF or IR? RF is very important to me.
Are there any other concerns I should know about before giving up my old equipment other than I will loose all my recordings on the drives?

What is the latest model I should look for?

Any help would be appreciated.
If you want TV in two rooms you won't save anything by going to a Genie, since you would need a Genie mini-client in the second room and that still has the same monthly charge. If both your HR24s are in the same room you would save $7 a month, I don't know where they get the $40 a month from.
You can attach large external drives, I seem to remember there's no limit on the size. The remotes are IR and RF.

The latest generally available Genie is the HR44. The HR54 is available but mainly to those going to 4K, and this would also incur a second TV charge for either an RVU TV or a C61K client.
post #2173 of 2173 Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question What new equipment and rate to ask for?

I have an old DirecTV system with 3 HR23's and 2 H22's. The Whole Home network uses my home network router and switch as I installed before the SWIM was available. I called DirecTV today to complain about my bill because it has gone from $143 to $206 in 4 months. The CSR offered to give me $40 worth of discounts, but also said I was eligible for new equipment. I said I would call back.

What equipment should I ask for? I want to be able to record and watch from 5 different rooms, as I do now. I intend to upgrade to 4K TVs soon so want to be 4K ready. I would probably like to keep my old DVR's at least until I finish watching the program's I have recorded. Also, I have been a customer since 1997. I have the Choice Plus package. What is the best price I can get?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page