AVS Forum banner

DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all

300K views 2K replies 286 participants last post by  Seeker47 
#1 ·
The thread for the DIRECTV HD DVRs HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23 is now 3 years old.

Since the HR24 is the first of a new design both internally and externally, it seems appropriate to begin a new thread discussing the next generation of HD DVRs from DIRECTV.

The HR24 is faster and designed to work with both SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) and DECA (DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) technology as well as directly supporting DIRECTV's new MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) which is currently in beta testing and soon to be rolled out nationwide. It sports a new, sleeker physical appearance which is a significant departure from earlier HD DVRs.

The HR24 is now being installed in the 4 markets where MRV is available:

Denver, CO

Portland, OR

Columbia-Jefferson City, MO

Fresno-Visalia, CA

It will likely start shipping to new customers after MRV becomes available nationwide.

More detailed information on the HR24 can be found here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=hr23

See less See more
#4 ·
I live in Denver, a roll out market. I was thinking about switching over to D* from E*. Does D* offer all of the Colorado Rockies baseball games in HD? I know D* 'supposedly' does, but I need this verified by a someone who has actually observed the rockies in HD on Directv.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 /forum/post/18608756

I live in Denver, a roll out market. I was thinking about switching over to D* from E*. Does D* offer all of the Colorado Rockies baseball games in HD? I know D* 'supposedly' does, but I need this verified by a someone who has actually observed the rockies in HD on Directv.

FSN Rocky Mountain is a full time HD RSN channel, so if they provide the game to DirecTV in HD then DirecTV will show it in HD. You might want to also post your question in thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17574324 which is the Denver satellite discussion thread.

#6 ·
rad,

Thanks for the info. Dish also claims that they offer *all* of the Rockies games in HD, but they do not. So I've learned that the only way to verify programming is to talk to a subscriber that has actually witnessed the programs in question. Seems every one of my family and friends have comcast, so I appeal to the people in this forum for eyewitness verification.

As to the link, that thread was last visited six months ago, so I doubt if my appeal will get any visibility.

#7 ·
I am ready to try this new box but a couple of concerns:

--can anyone verify RS232 control is the same? I understand you need an adapter to USB: I would be replacing HR21 Pro's which have a DB-9 serial port

--is channel changing quicker? that is my big complaint with present boxes

--If I get an HR24 and it goes bad, I assume D* will still send me an old crappy HR21?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 /forum/post/18610900

rad,

Thanks for the info. Dish also claims that they offer *all* of the Rockies games in HD, but they do not. So I've learned that the only way to verify programming is to talk to a subscriber that has actually witnessed the programs in question. Seems every one of my family and friends have comcast, so I appeal to the people in this forum for eyewitness verification.

As to the link, that thread was last visited six months ago, so I doubt if my appeal will get any visibility.

Enter your ZIP here to find out.

Dana

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuuth /forum/post/18558465

The thread for the DIRECTV HD DVRs HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23 is now 3 years old.

Since the HR24 is the first of a new design both internally and externally, it seems appropriate to begin a new thread discussing the next generation of HD DVRs from DIRECTV.

The HR24 is faster and designed to work with both SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) and DECA (DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) technology as well as directly supporting DIRECTV's new MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) which is currently in beta testing and soon to be rolled out nationwide. It sports a new, sleeker physical appearance which is a significant departure from earlier HD DVRs.

The HR24 is now being installed in the 4 markets where MRV is available:

Denver, CO

Portland, OR

Columbia-Jefferson City, MO

Fresno-Visalia, CA

It will likely start shipping to new customers after MRV becomes available nationwide.

More detailed information on the HR24 can be found here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=hr23

While the other thread is very old and has evolved from an earlier thread,

Since all the HR20/21/23 & HR24 still have common features and run the same firmware,

"Maybe" it time for all of the receiver that work with Mult-Room-Viewing to have a common thread, since we don't have forums for them like DBSTalk.

This would give everyone a one stop place for their questions/answers.

With the "connected home" rolling out, it just seems that we'll either miss or be repeating questions/posts between multiple threads.

With your permission we could use this thread as that and invite/allow non HR24 users to post here.

#11 ·
Two days into the connected home and multi-room viewing national rollout.

The Beta is to stop on May 20th, so now might be a good time to sign up if you haven't and want to keep using it.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool /forum/post/18638349

Two days into the connected home and multi-room viewing national rollout.

The Beta is to stop on May 20th, so now might be a good time to sign up if you haven't and want to keep using it.

So what does that mean? Will I get a message on my boxes regarding the end of MRV and that I need to sign up with D* directly? MRV is more than proven it's worth $3 a month with 3 networked DVRs in my house. I'll probably stop all recording on my HD TiVo and clear it out then shut it off.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul /forum/post/18643565

So what does that mean? Will I get a message on my boxes regarding the end of MRV and that I need to sign up with D* directly? MRV is more than proven it's worth $3 a month with 3 networked DVRs in my house. I'll probably stop all recording on my HD TiVo and clear it out then shut it off.

I'm afraid what is going to happen on the 20th is your MRV stops working.

Then you'll get the message to call in.

Here is where it becomes tough. DirecTV's system is to setup a connected home network [using DECAs] for the "Whole Home DVR" service.

This costs $99 [hardware] + $49 [service call]

While during the Beta MRV, home networking was the only way, it isn't going to be supported.

There is a "backdoor loophole" to get an unsupported network flag added to your account and then the $3/month charge for the service.

More can be found here:
Backdoor Key

#14 ·
So for somebody that has been doing beta MRV and DirecTV2pc over a wired gigE network with no glitches other than trick play being a little slower with MRV, is there any reason to want DECA now or in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool /forum/post/18645462

I'm afraid what is going to happen on the 20th is your MRV stops working.

Then you'll get the message to call in.

Here is where it becomes tough. DirecTV's system is to setup a connected home network [using DECAs] for the "Whole Home DVR" service.

This costs $99 [hardware] + $49 [service call]

While during the Beta MRV, home networking was the only way, it isn't going to be supported.

There is a "backdoor loophole" to get an unsupported network flag added to your account and then the $3/month charge for the service.

More can be found here:
Backdoor Key

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison /forum/post/18645833

So for somebody that has been doing beta MRV and DirecTV2pc over a wired gigE network with no glitches other than trick play being a little slower with MRV, is there any reason to want DECA now or in the future?

Trickplay might improve, but it's hard to tell someone who has had things working fine to spend the $99+$49 for the upgrade.

I have it and it works great, but my Cat5 worked as well as the software did at that time too.

There are some good network folks than have looked into this and the DECA does have a feature that ethernet doesn't have. It's a bit over my head, so I'll have to give the "blond speak" version.

DECA has the ability to send a request that will override other packets. This is how the trickplay can improve. Something about layers/stacks/buffers.

If ethernet is FedEx ground for packets, this it an overnight delivery for changes.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool /forum/post/18647870

Trickplay might improve, but it's hard to tell someone who has had things working fine to spend the $99+$49 for the upgrade.

I have it and it works great, but my Cat5 worked as well as the software did at that time too.

There are some good network folks than have looked into this and the DECA does have a feature that ethernet doesn't have. It's a bit over my head, so I'll have to give the "blond speak" version.

DECA has the ability to send a request that will override other packets. This is how the trickplay can improve. Something about layers/stacks/buffers.

If ethernet is FedEx ground for packets, this it an overnight delivery for changes.

Since DirecTV doesn't know I already have a SWM8, I'm tempted to accept the DECA upgrade. If I'm not mistaken I will get perhaps a new dish with SWiM or possibly a newer version of the standalone SWM8 (I have fw ver 8, I believe). If I get a new dish, and maybe even if I don't I can get my system checked, dish alignment checked, etc. Faster trickplay would be worth it, since the only feature I currently use with MRV is the combined playlist. Because trickplay is significantly slower, I always change to the receiver that did the recording. I can watch either receiver from the "main viewing location" ... (component/baluns for one and HDMI for the other.)

I'm replacing the HR20-100 that I own with an HR24. I don't really want to upgrade the HR20-700 I lease because I have a 750 gig external HDD with a lot of programs I don't want to lose.

#18 ·
So far not so good. I found out the MRV went out of Beta and I called right away to schedule my install. When I chose DirecTV over ATT Uverse in my new house I was told the MRV would be available soon and I wouldn't be charged for the upgrade. You can probably guess the rest of the story. After some really calm threats and a talk with customer retention I was scheduled the install no charge.

First appointment tech called with 30 minutes left in the appointment window to say he won't be coming. Second appointment tech was here 2 1/2 hours joined by a supervisor and couldn't get my HR21-700 and H23 boxes networked using the DECA. The IP address kept popping up incorrectly and they apparently couldn't punch it in manually. After two hard resets and countless telephone calls they said they will be back tomorrow with 2 new 24 series boxes.

Hopefully, third time is a charm and they bring the HR24 box this morning.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_runner /forum/post/18649664

So far not so good. I found out the MRV went out of Beta and I called right away to schedule my install. When I chose DirecTV over ATT Uverse in my new house I was told the MRV would be available soon and I wouldn't be charged for the upgrade. You can probably guess the rest of the story. After some really calm threats and a talk with customer retention I was scheduled the install no charge.

First appointment tech called with 30 minutes left in the appointment window to say he won't be coming. Second appointment tech was here 2 1/2 hours joined by a supervisor and couldn't get my HR21-700 and H23 boxes networked using the DECA. The IP address kept popping up incorrectly and they apparently couldn't punch it in manually. After two hard resets and countless telephone calls they said they will be back tomorrow with 2 new 24 series boxes.

Hopefully, third time is a charm and they bring the HR24 box this morning.

This rollout hasn't gone well, for many reasons.

The problem you seem to have sounds like they haven't used another DECA to bridge to your router. This seems to be a common mistake and is causing these problems.

DHCP works very well and using another DECA with either a 18 volt or 21 volt PI, that connects to your router should resolve this.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool /forum/post/18650297

This rollout hasn't gone well, for many reasons.

The problem you seem to have sounds like they haven't used another DECA to bridge to your router. This seems to be a common mistake and is causing these problems.
DHCP works very well and using another DECA with either a 18 volt or 21 volt PI, that connects to your router should resolve this.

My network is static IP only. If I decide to get DECA do I need to enable DHCP? Changing to DHCP is something I have been considering doing anyway. Just a bit of a PIA to change everything in the house on the network.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison /forum/post/18650671

My network is static IP only. If I decide to get DECA do I need to enable DHCP? Changing to DHCP is something I have been considering doing anyway. Just a bit of a PIA to change everything in the house on the network.

If you're good with static setups, you "should be" fine making the move.

The 24s have been a bit troublesome using static and not with DHCP.

I have my router reserve IP by MAC address and then have the receivers set to auto [DHCP].

This keeps the IP the same on each receiver and if I need to reset "something" [network defaults, etc.] it comes up easily.

#23 ·
I'm considering switching from Dish to Directv, but I'm concerned over the fact that Directv is getting 100 hrs of HD on a 500 GB harddrive, while Dish is getting only 55 hrs. This, of course, suggests that Directv is compressing their signal more which results in poor PQ vs Dish. Even if it's a a matter of MPEG 2 vs MPEG4, (and I have no reason to think it is) that wouldn't account for such a big difference. Comments?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 /forum/post/18652297

I'm considering switching from Dish to Directv, but I'm concerned over the fact that Directv is getting 100 hrs of HD on a 500 GB harddrive, while Dish is getting only 55 hrs. This, of course, suggests that Directv is compressing their signal more which results in poor PQ vs Dish. Even if it's a a matter of MPEG 2 vs MPEG4, (and I have no reason to think it is) that wouldn't account for such a big difference. Comments?

As I replied to your other post. DirecTV uses MPEG-4, which is why 100 hours with 500 GB.

The 300 GB drive is only 50 hours MPEG-4 & 30 hours MPEG-2

Maybe this will help you.

DirecTV MPEG-4 is full resolution. Dish isn't, as they send 1440 x 1080.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool /forum/post/18652730

As I replied to your other post. DirecTV uses MPEG-4, which is why 100 hours with 500 GB.

The 300 GB drive is only 50 hours MPEG-4 & 30 hours MPEG-2

Maybe this will help you.

DirecTV MPEG-4 is full resolution. Dish isn't, as they send 1440 x 1080.

Thanks for the info, where do you get your information? In particular, Directv invented the concept of downresing, they are famous for it. Also, Dish supposedly also does mpeg4. If so then Directv would be getting less programming per GB of drive space, not more.

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, it's just that your statements are the the very definition of "too good to be true" and I don't want to be disappointed. So since your statements defy logic, historical trends, and conventional wisdom, I have to ask how you could possibly know the res of both Dish and Directv, a question pondered in many threads over the past few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.