Panny 51 and JVC 30K For the Clueless - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2002, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to get the JVC 30K to record with my Panny 51 and I'm certain I must be missing something fundamental. I can record fine on an HD1000. The tapes will play back on the JVC 30K. I can control the JVC through the Panny 51 (with appropriate menu controls). However, when I record, I can't play anything back it seems.

I have gone through the manual multiple times. I am attempting playback using the JVC component out. I have gone through these forums attempting to understand where I went wrong. I've changed cables, ensured proper connectivity, contemplated my navel and requested help from the dog. None of these things has worked. Now my 10 year old daughter is laughing at me and my husband is wondering why I'm buying so many toys then yelling at them.

As always, any help would be appreciated.

I think that I will never see
A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Would just record DirecTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

ooblick,

In order to help you we need know a bit more detail:

Is your JVC the US version (DH30000U) or the Japan version (DH30000)?

When you attempt to record does the JVC offer an I-number as one of the inputs (like I-1 or I-2) and do you select that input for recording?

When you attempt to record do you punch the necessary buttons on the JVC to put it in DVHS HS mode?

While you are recording do you see video on the JVC component output? (If not, then you know right away it's not working.)

When you attempt to play back the recording in the JVC are you selecting some other input such as L-1? (Otherwise, the JVC will stop.)

I'm assuming here that your DST51 is reporting all the proper things like "DVHS Recording" and "DVHS Stopped", etc.

-Roger
Old 03-13-2002, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

It is the US version. There was an I listed, but no number listed. So I went back in and checked the Ilink setup screen. It was set to "off." I set it to "auto" and then tried again. Guess what? IT WORKED!!!! I guess I just needed someone to point out the obvious.

Thank you, Roger!!! By the way, I read your stuff about Windows XP and the 30K. Great job! Please let me know if you ever get an inkling to try downloading streams to a Mac :-). It would be great to be able to move things to Final Cut Pro then dump them to DVD. For personal use only of course.

A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Old 03-13-2002, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't take any credit for XP stuff, that's leszek1 and others. Care and feeding of decrepit old Panny boxes is the source of my notoriousness.:)

-Roger
Old 03-13-2002, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
ooblick-

I have a similar problem with the Mitsubishi recorder. It will allow itself to be controlled by the Panny 50 but will not record any picture or sound. It works fine as a recorder from the PVHD1000 as a source. But not the otherway around, ie using the Mits as a player and the PVHD1000 as a recorder. My PVHD1000 will play the tapes recorded by the Mitsubishi just fine. The mixing of this equipment is quite sensitive.

The fact that you got the JVC to work with the Panny 51 is quite encouraging. I'm wondering if I got a 51, whether it would work with the Mitsubishi.

PS- Is Captain Don Stewart still in Bonaire? He would be in his 70's today. He was the founder of Diving operations in Bonaire in the early 70's, probably before your time as a diver. :) I used to dive with him down there when he had this little shack out on the beach in front of Hotel Bonaire.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

We were just at the 25th anniversary of Captain Don's Habitat. Got to talk to Don himself. When we got stranded there over 9/11 they took damn good care of us.

Video related - shot lots of underwater video :-)

A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Old 03-13-2002, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak
Can't take any credit for XP stuff, that's leszek1 and others. Care and feeding of decrepit old Panny boxes is the source of my notoriousness.:)
Ooops. Got you mixed up :-). I, for one, am very glad that you DO take care of the ancient boxes. I really enjoy being able to timeshift HD programming. It's getting more and more frustrating trying to do perfectly legal things with our own equipment and being blocked at every turn by outside forces.

I'm really encouraged that the JVC works with the Panny 51. I've saved face with even the dog :-)

A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Old 03-14-2002, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
We were just at the 25th anniversary of Captain Don's Habitat.
Wow!

Do you know that I was THE first one to stay at his Habitat? Actually, It was my group. We had to carry the bedding, bunk beds, matresses and all from the hotel over to those bungalows. They weren't even painted and still smelled of fresh block and mortar. Then about 30 of us hand carried Capt. Don's first flat top pontoon boat down the beach into the water. In prior years we just used small john boats to dive from. I have a 16mm movie I shot that year with my new Bolex. I wonder how much Bonaire has changed as '76 was the last year I was there. Have you been to the Black Forest off Klein Bonaire? I'm talking 170 to 200 ft. and Black Coral the size of 8 ft. trees and schools of hammerheads everywhere but that was in the early 70's.

Are you going on the AVS Cruise? I plan to do some diving in Cayman. Last I was there was in '78.

Anyway, back on topic-

Has anyone been successful with the JVC recording from the DST50? I mean the DST50 not factory upgraded? I'd also like to know if the Mitsubishi will work off the DST51?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I got it working with the 50 as well.

As for the diving stuff, I sent you email :-) We're going to try to fly ourselves down to the Caymans in a few weeks.

A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB