Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - Page 11 - AVS Forum
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 04:42 PM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

The two terms are pretty much interchangeable.

PVR = Personal Video Recorder?
DVR = Digital Video Recorder?

Why personal?

dattier's Avatar dattier 04:49 PM 06-21-2011
I guess it's because you can pause and rewind live TV as well as timeshifting, so the idea is you can record for yourself and watch on your own terms.
A J's Avatar A J 05:21 PM 06-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel27nc View Post

How do you like the Roku unit? I'm using Boxee software right now....very limited on the programs on Boxee.

A little OT, but since you asked, the Roku with over 100 channels (most are free) and streaming Netflix at $8/mo, in addition to my CM-7000PAL mean no regrets about dropping cable 6 months ago.

AJ
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 02:56 AM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

PVR = Personal Video Recorder?
DVR = Digital Video Recorder?

Why personal?

Some people make the distinction that a DVR is a stand-alone box with the sole purpose of timeshifting television broadcasts, while a PVR is a personal computer with a TV-tuner card and software for timeshifting television broadcasts, but the term can refer to either of them.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 05:52 AM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Some people make the distinction that a DVR is a stand-alone box with the sole purpose of timeshifting television broadcasts, while a PVR is a personal computer with a TV-tuner card and software for timeshifting television broadcasts, but the term can refer to either of them.

This has always been my understanding as well.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 05:54 AM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

A little OT, but since you asked, the Roku with over 100 channels (most are free) and streaming Netflix at $8/mo, in addition to my CM-7000PAL mean no regrets about dropping cable 6 months ago.

AJ

I did the same thing. I already had streaming capabilities on my PS3 and I picked up a couple of Roku boxes as well. I cut my cable completely the day after I received my 7000PAL about six months ago. I have absolutely no regrets other than missing some of the NBA playoff games.
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 06:51 AM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

This has always been my understanding as well.

Ah. I always thought PC setups were called HTPC (Home Theater PC) or Media Center (from MS?).
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 02:09 PM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Ah. I always thought PC setups were called HTPC (Home Theater PC) or Media Center (from MS?).

The HTPC term refers more to the playback capabilities (monitor type/size, speaker configuration, and remote control capabilities) than to the recording capabilities of the computer, but this is again more a matter of perception than definition.
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 02:11 PM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The HTPC term refers more to the playback capabilities (monitor type/size, speaker configuration, and remote control capabilities) than to the recording capabilities of the computer, but this is again more a matter of perception than definition.

Ah thanks.
Budget_HT's Avatar Budget_HT 10:48 PM 06-22-2011
TiVo always described their recorders as PVRs because of the amount of customization provided, season passes, suggestions, wish lists, etc. TiVo always referred to their competition as providing more generic DVRs, lacking much of the customization, or personalization.

That's a historical view of the two terms, going back 10 years. Beyond that, many folks use PVR and DVR interchangeably.

Now if we can just get people to stop telling us they are going to tape a program on their PVR/DVR.
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 10:50 PM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

... Now if we can just get people to stop telling us they are going to tape a program on their PVR/DVR.

ROFL. I hate that too. I tease them tape like a VHS and casette tapes? :P They need to say "record"! Even VCRs can use that term.
A J's Avatar A J 08:37 AM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

ROFL. I hate that too. I tease them tape like a VHS and casette tapes? :P They need to say "record"! Even VCRs can use that term.

And, a VCR might honestly be called a PVR (why not, no mention of "digital" in Personal Video Recorder, but it can't be termed DVR.

I must confess, I still say that I "taped" something with my DVR. Gotta work on breaking that old habit!

AJ
BTV Mark's Avatar BTV Mark 11:51 AM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

And, a VCR might honestly be called a PVR (why not, no mention of "digital" in Personal Video Recorder, but it can't be termed DVR.

I must confess, I still say that I "taped" something with my DVR. Gotta work on breaking that old habit!

AJ

Funny about language. It takes time to change. I often hear coaches and players say "we won't know for sure until we look at the film." Of course, they haven't used film in...what...10-15 years? (And I think "NFL Films" needs to change their name eventually, too.)

Mark
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 11:55 AM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTV Mark View Post

Funny about language. It takes time to change. I often hear coaches and players say "we won't know for sure until we look at the film." Of course, they haven't used film in...what...10-15 years? (And I think "NFL Films" needs to change their name eventually, too.)

Mark

Also, sport coaches say look at tapes. TAPES?! VHS tapes?
BTV Mark's Avatar BTV Mark 12:14 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTV Mark View Post

Thanks, everyone--wow, quick and "spot on" comments. You guys know your stuff.

I have it connected temporarily via component inputs, and I am very impressed! It's working just as I had hoped!

Two comments:
1) The PVR remote's volume control doesn't seem to have any affect. Is that only active when outputting via RF (ch. 3 or 4?) Probably doesn't make much difference as I don't expect to be needing it. (See next point.)
2) I forgot to mention I have a Harmony remote. I believe it will be versatile enough to handle the system so we can control the audio from our home stereo receiver.
3) So now I have to get my wife comfortable seeing the PVR menus instead of the Sony TV menus. That may be the biggest challenge!

Thanks again for all the comments.


Mark

OK, it's been a couple days, and I've tried it both ways. Hands-down, the best way (as I'm sure you all already know) is to keep the PVR/DVR "in line" all the time. I saw no degradation in the quality. The Harmony remote had no trouble adapting, so there was no additional training needed for my wife, so she's happy. This is a very nice unit!

I do think the menus could be a bit more clear. It still take me a minute to find something I recorded.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Mark
zarg7883's Avatar zarg7883 03:38 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J

I must confess, I still say that I "taped" something with my DVR. Gotta work on breaking that old habit!

AJ
On a Star Trek episode, Abraham Lincoln asked Captain Kirk where the music (Hail To The Chief) was coming from. Kirk said it was taped...

Old habits die hard. We still "dial" a phone number!
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 03:45 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post
On a Star Trek episode, Abraham Lincoln asked Captain Kirk where the music (Hail To The Chief) was coming from. Kirk said it was taped...

Old habits die hard. We still "dial" a phone number!
Oh yeah, I still say that. I should say "call". :P
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 03:52 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Oh yeah, I still say that. I should say "call". :P
Nonsense. Keep saying "dial" and "tape". Embrace the old terms. They provide sense of history and an appreciation of our roots.
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 03:58 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Nonsense. Keep saying "dial" and "tape". Embrace the old terms. They provide sense of history and an appreciation of our roots.
Bah, I am trying to be technical. :P
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 11:53 PM 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Nonsense. Keep saying "dial" and "tape". Embrace the old terms. They provide sense of history and an appreciation of our roots.

The majority of people here in Chicagoland refuse to call the old, Sears Tower the "Willis Tower".

After all, it's a friggin' landmark.
Count Blah's Avatar Count Blah 02:32 PM 07-26-2011
Is it just me...

Shouldn't the dual tuner be recording the current and last channel you visit? My old FiOS DVR did this, and I guess I just assumed this would do the same. This really makes watching two shows at once REALLY annoying.
gadget-zilla's Avatar gadget-zilla 04:27 PM 08-11-2011
All,

I recently purchased the CM7000PAL.

Two or three times so far I've noticed that I'm unable to turn on the unit from the remote. The 'only' way I got it to turn on was if I held the remote an inch away from the base unit's remote sensor. Most other times, I'm able to turn it on from the couch which is about 10ft way from the unit.

has anyone experienced this or do I have a defective unit ?

I googled this odd behavior and came across a hit where a user reported a workaround by taping a piece a paper over the unit's sensor ?

Any feedback regarding this is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
OPPIZ's Avatar OPPIZ 06:32 PM 08-11-2011
Light sensor on some TVs may cause poor / intermittent remote response

A number of newer LCD and plasma TVs feature "light sensor" or "day-night sensor" to adjust the TV's picture depending on ambient light conditions. When enabled, this "light sensor" or "day-night sensor" causes havoc with many STBs and DVRs using IR remotes. Disable this option in your TV settings and remote response should return to normal.

from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...95&postcount=1
Mloot's Avatar Mloot 08:32 PM 08-11-2011
If I were to buy this at Walmart, would it be worth it to get the extended warranty? I am not knowledgeable about the reliability of this dvr.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 05:32 AM 08-12-2011
Has anyone tried connecting a Logitech Revue for Google TV on this unit? Any idea if it would work?
A J's Avatar A J 06:31 AM 08-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloot View Post

If I were to buy this at Walmart, would it be worth it to get the extended warranty? I am not knowledgeable about the reliability of this dvr.

I very rarely buy an extended warranty on anything, but I did for my CM-7000PAL. From what I've read I do not expect it survive 3 years of heavy use without problems and repairs for this unit can be problematical. So, when I got mine from Amazon I also bought the 3 year SquareTrade warranty.

Not sure what the price is at Wal*Mart, but you might compare it (including sales tax) to Amazon's price (free shipping and no sales tax).

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...3151369&sr=8-1

AJ
Guitar Hero's Avatar Guitar Hero 12:28 PM 08-12-2011
Just bought one for my mom at Chruchfield. $299.99 and free 2 day shipping!
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 02:40 PM 08-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Has anyone tried connecting a Logitech Revue for Google TV on this unit? Any idea if it would work?

I think somebody just did in the DTVPal thread, and it worked fine.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 06:57 PM 08-12-2011
^ Thanks, Rammitinski. I'll check that out.
Chere's Avatar Chere 05:33 PM 08-16-2011
I wanted to know if there are any owners here using this DVR with the Terk HDTVa OTA antenna. I own this antenna and a 2010 samsung plasma and was wondering if this DVR would make a good addition as I went ahead and cut the cable cord a couple of months ago. Do you get good reception and noise free play back recordings?

I'm also trying to picture how the connection is going to work for me. Terk DTVa-> 7000 Pal-> Samsung HDTV via HDMI is how I'm thinking it's going to work. Does this sound right?

Your feedbacks is greatly appreciated

By the way for anyone out there who is having antenna reception issues but isn't willing to run long cables and deal with setting up an outdoor antenna, I strongly suggest this model as it deals excellently with multipath interference. I bought it after doing my research here and have to say that I haven't looked back since
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop