Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

When a manufacturer contracts with a third party service, as Rovi suggests, the manufacturer is the customer, not the end user.
That is exactly correct. Nobody with a TVGOS device was ever a customer of Rovi. PAL users were customers of CM or Dish. Their expectations for TVGOS service were spelled out in the documents included with the device they bought from CM or Dish. And if I remember the information provided in other posts, TVGOS was never guaranteed and specifically disclaimed to not be available in all areas.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of an app that will connect my Channel Master CM-7000PAL to an iPad?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
No such app exist in the world.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Graham View Post

Does anyone know of an app that will connect my Channel Master CM-7000PAL to an iPad?

Like the one for the MTV-7000 Mini?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be an apparatus, not app. smile.gif
JHBrandt and partsman_ba like this.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Unfortunately Echostar chose the same proprietary file system for the CM-7000PAL that they used for Dish's satellite DVRs. At least one court has ruled that this file system is an "effective means of copy protection" under DMCA; thus it's illegal to distribute "unauthorized" apps to read it. Score another one for the copyright extremists.

And of course Channel Master and Echostar have no interest in releasing their own app for a DVR that's no longer in production. So no app.

But maybe an apparatus would do. Have you looked at the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR? It's hardly a perfect solution - you have to play back each recording on the Pal and let the Hauppauge re-digitize it from component video - but you should have no problem playing the resulting file on a PC, iPad, or any other device that can play digital video files.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If we are talking about apparatus, perhaps Sling Solo or HD model would be the answer ?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 AM

Liked: 11
As far as an aparatus goes, I use the Hava Titanium and prefer its operaion and cost over Slingbox.
Not sure how well it works on I Pad, but it works wonderful on my Androids and Windows machines.

gracz
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, two issues have popped up recently, and I want to see how many of you have seen these...
1: Myself and a co worker with CM-7000PAL DVR's have experienced several recordings on several channels NBC, CBS and Fox where the second track of audio (Descriptive audio for the blind ) was the ONLY track of audio available during playback even though when you press the SAP buttton on the remote only the "English" audio service is displayed.
Descriptive Audio on NCIS and The Following. Chicago fire had no audio mainly because the NBC Channel here puts nothing on the second language track when spanish or descriptive audio is not there, but leaves their second language PSIP PID on.
Normally these DVR's record both embedded audio services, and you simply choose it with the SAP button during playback.When this has happened only the second audio service is available.
I know the provider is not at fault, as I work for the CBS broadcaster (Provider) and checked our Log recording for the NCIS that was effected, and both audio services were broadcast that evening.
2: My CM-7000 DVR ocassionally macroblocks which also drops out the audio. This is regardless of which channel is tuned and it happens on recordings when played back (From any recorded channel).
If you jump back, the dropout is in the same place everytime, so it appears the tuner or decoder is at fault since it is in the recording.
Tonight during the Superbowl, I verified it is not the broadcast or antenna reception, as the over the air (OTA) tuner in my Dish HD DVR did not experience the macroblocking and audio drop out at all, and when I would experience the symptom on the CM-7000, I could switch over to the Dish DVR, and then jump back to the same time and not see the problem. I did this several times.
Has anyone else experienced either of these problems?
Mick1204 likes this.

gracz
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Technically , it's possible tuner/demod chips are overheating in your CM7k DVR.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracz View Post

Hey guys, two issues have popped up recently, and I want to see how many of you have seen these...
1: Myself and a co worker with CM-7000PAL DVR's have experienced several recordings on several channels NBC, CBS and Fox where the second track of audio (Descriptive audio for the blind ) was the ONLY track of audio available during playback even though when you press the SAP buttton on the remote only the "English" audio service is displayed.
Descriptive Audio on NCIS and The Following. Chicago fire had no audio mainly because the NBC Channel here puts nothing on the second language track when spanish or descriptive audio is not there, but leaves their second language PSIP PID on.
Normally these DVR's record both embedded audio services, and you simply choose it with the SAP button during playback.When this has happened only the second audio service is available.
I know the provider is not at fault, as I work for the CBS broadcaster (Provider) and checked our Log recording for the NCIS that was effected, and both audio services were broadcast that evening.

I had a similar problem occur once during live playback. I'm pretty sure it was on NCIS too. Changing channels (and changing back) fixed it, but of course with a recording that's not possible.

What I think happened is that both audio tracks got labeled English somehow. Normally the descriptive audio track is sort of intentionally mislabeled Spanish, so boxes like the Pal (that only let you select audio programs by language) can still access it. From your next problem I'd guess there was a tuner glitch at the start of the problematic recordings; in any case, if both tracks got labeled English the Pal has no way to switch between them, so you're pretty much stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracz View Post

2: My CM-7000 DVR occasionally macroblocks which also drops out the audio. This is regardless of which channel is tuned and it happens on recordings when played back (From any recorded channel).
If you jump back, the dropout is in the same place every time, so it appears the tuner or decoder is at fault since it is in the recording.
Tonight during the Superbowl, I verified it is not the broadcast or antenna reception, as the over the air (OTA) tuner in my Dish HD DVR did not experience the macroblocking and audio drop out at all, and when I would experience the symptom on the CM-7000, I could switch over to the Dish DVR, and then jump back to the same time and not see the problem. I did this several times.
Has anyone else experienced either of these problems?

I also saw some brief dropouts watching the Super Bowl last night, which is unusual for KTVT. However I was watching live using my TV's tuner, not the Pal. I also recorded the Super Bowl on my HTPC; soon I'll see if dropouts were recorded there as well.

In general I've found that the Pal's tuners work just fine, but of course anything can fail (or start to) at some point. If it's happening primarily on recordings but not when watching live via the Pal, or vice versa, I'd say one of the Pal's two tuners is causing the dropouts. (If it were happening equally for both live viewing and recordings, I'd conclude the Pal was getting a somewhat weaker signal than the Dish DVR is, and check my cables, splitters, etc.)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I had a similar problem occur once during live playback. I'm pretty sure it was on NCIS too. Changing channels (and changing back) fixed it, but of course with a recording that's not possible.

What I think happened is that both audio tracks got labeled English somehow. Normally the descriptive audio track is sort of intentionally mislabeled Spanish, so boxes like the Pal (that only let you select audio programs by language) can still access it. From your next problem I'd guess there was a tuner glitch at the start of the problematic recordings; in any case, if both tracks got labeled English the Pal has no way to switch between them, so you're pretty much stuck.
I also saw some brief dropouts watching the Super Bowl last night, which is unusual for KTVT. However I was watching live using my TV's tuner, not the Pal. I also recorded the Super Bowl on my HTPC; soon I'll see if dropouts were recorded there as well.

In general I've found that the Pal's tuners work just fine, but of course anything can fail (or start to) at some point. If it's happening primarily on recordings but not when watching live via the Pal, or vice versa, I'd say one of the Pal's two tuners is causing the dropouts. (If it were happening equally for both live viewing and recordings, I'd conclude the Pal was getting a somewhat weaker signal than the Dish DVR is, and check my cables, splitters, etc.)
I was having some of those drop outs for a while but haven't experienced in the past few weeks. I watched the Super Bowl through the 7000PAL and it was absolutely perfect. People on my local cable forum were complaining about the quality of Cox Cable's broadcast but my OTA was stellar.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM

I guess what I meant to say was that I was using a Slingbox to move the image from an CM-7000 DVR to an iPad. But I could not duplicate the CM-7000 DVR's remote control. Was I missing something?

Also, (how) is it possible to route both the CM-7000 DVR and Direct TV through the Slingbox to the iPad?

David
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

To control the CM-7000 Pal with your iPad's IR blaster or other remote, use the codes for a DISH VIP622 satellite DVR. They are the same.

Hint: To select a subchannel other than a station's first suchannel, since the Pal's remote has no '.' or '-' key, enter a 3-digit channel number followed by a 2-digit subchannel number. For example, to select subchannel 50.4, enter 05004.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are the CM versions of the Pal still being sold?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Are the CM versions of the Pal still being sold?
You can still buy new units on eBay. They're in and out of stock on the Channel Master Store. They usually have open box units available but they seem to be out of stock right now as well. I bought an open box unit from them three years ago and have used it daily ever since, it's still going strong. http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Set_Top_Boxes_s/27.htm

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 AM

From what I can tell on my TVGOS, it's going to disappear on Monday in Atlanta. For days now, when I get to Monday, it just reads No Information for everything. I read that one thing I can do to make sure it "forgets" TVGOS is to delete and then add the station that carries it. How do you know which station is broadcasting TVGOS?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 AM
A J

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

How do you know which station is broadcasting TVGOS?
Trip has that info on his site (Atlanta is #8 on the list).
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow when it goes away.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

From what I can tell on my TVGOS, it's going to disappear on Monday in Atlanta. For days now, when I get to Monday, it just reads No Information for everything. I read that one thing I can do to make sure it "forgets" TVGOS is to delete and then add the station that carries it. How do you know which station is broadcasting TVGOS?

It may take more than that. I've seen several reports where TVGoS guide data stops, but clock data continues. If that happens in Atlanta, the Pal will "find" TVGoS again shortly after adding back the host station. You'll know that's happened if, within an hour of adding back the host station, you can't adjust the time on the Pal because it says "time acquired from TVGoS.")

A commonly-reported symptom of this situation is that the guide doesn't get populated from PSIP data automatically. Instead, you have to go to the guide and scroll through the channels manually to get it to fill in.

If you want to "blind" your Pal to TVGoS completely, delete the host station, change your Zip code to 00000, reboot (i.e., hold the power button until a soft reset occurs, or unplug the Pal and plug it back in), and finally add back your host station. Or you could just do a factory defaults reset, and enter 00000 for the Zip code when prompted (but that's a bigger hassle for many).

Since 00000 isn't a real Zip code, your Pal won't lock onto any "neutered" TVGoS clock data coming from your host station, and so won't expect guide data that never comes....

Correction: Turns out the struck-through method won't work. Once the Pal has locked onto TVGoS with a valid zip code, it saves info that lets it lock back on again even if rebooted with the zip code reset to zeros. As soon as you add your TVGoS host station back, if they're still sending clock data the Pal will lock onto it. A factory defaults reset is the only known method of erasing that saved info. frown.gif
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Doing a factory reset will also start the PSIP time calculations from scratch, eliminating any old channels and data. As a result, your DTVPal calculated time should be more accurate. YMMV...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:

It may take more than that. I've seen several reports where TVGoS guide data stops, but clock data continues. If that happens in Atlanta, the Pal will "find" TVGoS again shortly after adding back the host station. You'll know that's happened if, within an hour of adding back the host station, you can't adjust the time on the Pal because it says "time acquired from TVGoS.")

A commonly-reported symptom of this situation is that the guide doesn't get populated from PSIP data automatically. Instead, you have to go to the guide and scroll through the channels manually to get it to fill in.

If you want to "blind" your Pal to TVGoS completely, delete the host station, change your Zip code to 00000, reboot (i.e., hold the power button until a soft reset occurs, or unplug the Pal and plug it back in), and finally add back your host station. Or you could just do a factory defaults reset, and enter 00000 for the Zip code when prompted (but that's a bigger hassle for many).

Since 00000 isn't a real Zip code, your Pal won't lock onto any "neutered" TVGoS clock data coming from your host station, and so won't expect guide data that never comes....

I did the 00000 thing, as well as the delete/add the former TVGOS station, and so far everything is going very well. The clock seems to be working fine and the PSIP data is refreshing pretty frequently. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM

If they are still being sold, maybe they should not be. See below

After ONLY two years my Channel Master CM 7000 Pal stopped feeding signals to my HD TV. The lights on the front both light but no images are shown on the TV screen. Interestingly, the 7000Pal still transmits viewable signals through a Slingbox 500 to my wife's iPad

I am looking for advice. Can/should I get the 7000 PAL repaired, if possible or go to a new and different unit? What would you all recommended? I used the unit exclusively to capture OTA signals. I have Direct TV for the other stuff.

I am really upset that the unit stopped working after only two years of use!

Your thoughts?

David
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I would look into it to see if it repairable ...
Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they are still being sold, maybe they should not be. See below

After ONLY two years my Channel Master CM 7000 Pal stopped feeding signals to my HD TV. The lights on the front both light but no images are shown on the TV screen. Interestingly, the 7000Pal still transmits viewable signals through a Slingbox 500 to my wife's iPad

I am looking for advice. Can/should I get the 7000 PAL repaired, if possible or go to a new and different unit? What would you all recommended? I used the unit exclusively to capture OTA signals. I have Direct TV for the other stuff.

I am really upset that the unit stopped working after only two years of use!

Your thoughts?

David

If I understand you correctly, one of your Pal's outputs (connected to your TV) has stopped working but another output (connected to a Slingbox) still works, right?

First thing I'd try is a factory defaults reset. That may sound strange but it's been known to fix audio output problems, so it might fix video output problems as well. If that doesn't work, let us know which output (composite, component, or HDMI) has failed.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM

I STAND CORRECTED AND APOLOGIZE TO CHANNEL MASTER. IT WAS A LOOSE WIRE.

Everything is fine now.

DBG
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I STAND CORRECTED AND APOLOGIZE TO CHANNEL MASTER. IT WAS A LOOSE WIRE.

Everything is fine now.

DBG

Glad to hear. Don't be too hard on yourself - we all make mistakes.

BTW, don't apologize to CM. They didn't make these - they just sold them. Dish (the satellite TV company) also sold some, but Echostar made them and would be responsible for any poor workmanship. (Just not in this case biggrin.gif )
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Sadly, my CM-7000PAL has started having issues. I've had the unit for over three years and it was problem free until just the past month. It developed some of the clock problems mentioned in this thread but manually chaning the time every day seemed to fix it. More troublesome is that it about 75% of the time I have to pull the power cord to get it to start up and the tuners seem to have lost some sensitivity. My signals have always been trouble free but for the last couple of months I have been experiencing a lot of dropouts and macroblocking. It's also started making some strange noises so I have reduced it to part-time duty in the bedroom. It still records fine but all the signal dropouts are very annoying. I considered getting another unit but opted instead to go with a TiVo Premiere. I am enjoying the TiVo experience, it's an excellent product but now I'm paying $15 every month for service. The guide is fantastic and I love being able to set up season passes but I miss the speed of my Channel Master. One of these days I'll tear it apart and see if I can repair it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Clock problems: Since the loss of TVGoS many Pal users have experienced a clock that gains 8 sec/day. We've discovered that doing two consecutive reboots will force the Pal's clock to lock onto the PSIP average, stopping this annoying drift.

To reboot the Pal, hold the power button (on either the Pal itself or the remote) until both the red and green LEDs turn on. The Pal will then boot. Let the boot complete (your Pal will turn on normally after booting), then do it once more. On the second reboot, you should see the correct time, and it should stay correct thereafter.

Strange noises and needing to cold-start: uh-oh! This could be a failing hard disk drive, or a failing fan causing the Pal to overheat. Time to take the Pal apart (no easy task, unfortunately), clean it out, listen for the failing component, and replace it. (Note: the fan doesn't run continuously. There's a temperature sensor that turns it on when needed. So if it's not running don't panic.)

If it's the HDD, unfortunately you'll lose your recordings. But at least you'll have the chance to upgrade to a larger drive. The Pal will support up to 1 TB; larger drives won't work. Try to get a 5400 RPM drive; 7200 RPM is OK but produces more heat. Jumper the drive to SATA II if it's a SATA III drive.

Even if the Pal fails completely, you can salvage the HDD for use in another device, such as a PC. Unfortunately no software is available to read the recorded data; you'll just have to reformat and start from scratch.

Tuner sensitivity: this could also be from overheating, but check other TVs, set-top boxes, etc. in your home. Reason is, this is also the time of year when many folks start losing signal strength throughout their homes. You may find the problem isn't the Pal, but instead the growth of tree leaves is starting to cut off your TV signals.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clock problems: Since the loss of TVGoS many Pal users have experienced a clock that gains 8 sec/day. We've discovered that doing two consecutive reboots will force the Pal's clock to lock onto the PSIP average, stopping this annoying drift.

To reboot the Pal, hold the power button (on either the Pal itself or the remote) until both the red and green LEDs turn on. The Pal will then boot. Let the boot complete (your Pal will turn on normally after booting), then do it once more. On the second reboot, you should see the correct time, and it should stay correct thereafter.

Strange noises and needing to cold-start: uh-oh! This could be a failing hard disk drive, or a failing fan causing the Pal to overheat. Time to take the Pal apart (no easy task, unfortunately), clean it out, listen for the failing component, and replace it. (Note: the fan doesn't run continuously. There's a temperature sensor that turns it on when needed. So if it's not running don't panic.)

If it's the HDD, unfortunately you'll lose your recordings. But at least you'll have the chance to upgrade to a larger drive. The Pal will support up to 1 TB; larger drives won't work. Try to get a 5400 RPM drive; 7200 RPM is OK but produces more heat. Jumper the drive to SATA II if it's a SATA III drive.

Even if the Pal fails completely, you can salvage the HDD for use in another device, such as a PC. Unfortunately no software is available to read the recorded data; you'll just have to reformat and start from scratch.

Tuner sensitivity: this could also be from overheating, but check other TVs, set-top boxes, etc. in your home. Reason is, this is also the time of year when many folks start losing signal strength throughout their homes. You may find the problem isn't the Pal, but instead the growth of tree leaves is starting to cut off your TV signals.

Thanks for the help, JHBrandt. After playing with the unit a little more I think it may be a problem with a fan. I got an error message a few days ago indicating that the unit was operating at higher temperatures than intended and continuing use may cause permanent damage. It does seem to be running hotter than it had in the past. I tried cooling the unit with an external fan and it seems to be running better. It's only been a few hours but it's been working completely normal. I think I'll tear it down when I get a chance and replace a fan (assuming I find a bad one). Thanks for the help, I'll give it a week and if it keeps operating normally I'll open it up and check the fans.