Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 734 Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 155
EPG Collector is a PC program. It reads EPG data from PSIP and writes it to an XMLTV file for use with various PC-based DVR programs. But the Pal already gets EPG data from PSIP; i.e., it already does what EPG Collector does for PCs.

We want the reverse: take an Internet-based guide (e.g., Schedules Direct) and convert it to a format Pals could use (PSIP or the old TVGOS format). Much easier said than done, though. Since the Pals have always gotten all their EPG info OTA (even in the TVGoS era), you'd need an 8VSB modulator to have any chance. That would cost far more than a new DVR+ (or even a TiVo).

A firmware update to get EPG data directly from the Internet (like the DVR+) would make more sense. But as P Smith said, CM won't do that. (Nor for their CM-7400, whose old Internet guide they just cut off.) It'd cut into their DVR+ sales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 734 Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There must be a programmer to do a firmware update. Help us
post #663 of 734 Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 7000 Pal . It's quirky in that if I have a program scheduled to record and am watching that same channel, when it comes time to record, the machine does not record. Does it know I am watching that channel?

My bigger problem is that I live near the Canadian border and teach French so I like to record the Quebec Channels but only one network appears in the OS program guide.

I am thinking of replacing the unit with Channel Master's new DVR + . Has anyone tested one of those?

David
post #664 of 734 Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 127
that would be more appropriate to post/move your question into dedicated DVR+ thread, not here
post #665 of 734 Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMAC View Post

There must be a programmer to do a firmware update. Help us
OK
just ask e* to give the source code and IDE to recompile it
post #666 of 734 Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Graham View Post

I have a 7000 Pal . It's quirky in that if I have a program scheduled to record and am watching that same channel, when it comes time to record, the machine does not record. Does it know I am watching that channel?
Haven't experienced or heard of that problem. I suggest you reset to factory defaults. It will rescan your channels, so you'll have to re-enter all your timers, but you won't lose any old recordings.
Quote:

My bigger problem is that I live near the Canadian border and teach French so I like to record the Quebec Channels but only one network appears in the OS program guide.
The US FCC requires full-power stations to broadcast 12 hours of EPG data, but I'm not sure about Canadian regulations. Canada may not require any EPG to be broadcast.
Quote:

I am thinking of replacing the unit with Channel Master's new DVR + . Has anyone tested one of those?
Lots of folks, including several Pal owners. As P Smith suggested, check the DVR+ Owners thread on this forum - you'll get the good, the bad, and the ugly about the DVR+. You could also post a question there about whether its guide includes Canadian stations.
post #667 of 734 Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM

I called the FCC to complain about the limited guide data and they informed me there is no rule about how much data has to be broadcast.
post #668 of 734 Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMAC View Post

I called the FCC to complain about the limited guide data and they informed me there is no rule about how much data has to be broadcast.
you can get more info about regulations of PSIP data if you will read posts at main thread about DTVpalDVR around time when ROVI ceased its OTA service
post #669 of 734 Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been a requirement since the end of 2004: http://www.atsc.org/cms/communications/newsletter/2004_november_standard.pdf
Quote:
The FCC mandatory requirements include:
  • At least the first four Event Information Tables (EIT), which must contain the Caption Service Descriptor (when DTV closed captions are present); and the Content Advisory Descriptor (when broadcasters choose to provide such advisories). The FCC further stated they expect to have correct program titles to inform consumers about which programs are planned to be broadcast.

However, the article glossed over the fact that the rule doesn't apply to low-power stations; and despite the highlighted expectation above, I've seen even full-power stations that broadcast meaningless program titles on some subchannels, such as "TBA" or merely repeating the subchannel name.

(Note: an EIT contains info about 3 hours of programs, so the first four EITs will contain info about 12 hours. However, generally some portion of the first EIT has already passed, so depending on when you look, the info currently being broadcast may only extend 9 hours into the future.)
post #670 of 734 Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I recall all the info posted in DTV pal thread [perhaps by you];

if the poster would go there he will find it and much more, what will aim him and do encourage him to make calls to local station's engineers to improve EPG
post #671 of 734 Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 AM

My CM PAL-7000 just went on the fritz today after maybe 3 years of abuse. I bought it refurbed from CM.

While I was watching live tv with my TV's tuner, the PAL's upper light lit up on its own, there was nothing timed to be recorded and I didn't have the remote so it wasn't accidentally turned on.

I unplugged it, replugged it numerous times. The CM PAL booted and the "please wait" screen came on, then the "aquiring the program guide" notification came on. After this it went thru the motions I got an hd picture and sound on my tv. The remote would not do anything, such as change channels, open the menu or guide, or power it off. Then the PAL would blank out after about 5 minutes and reboot again, this description went on and on and on.......

I powered it down and removed it from my tv. I popped the screws and the top off. It was a dusty mess inside especially around the cooling fan, so I used my air compressor to blast it clean. While it was apart I took out the hard drive and re installed it again. Also while apart I powered it up and the cooling fan spun up for a few seconds and stopped. After that I could hear the hard drive spinning, so I thought maybe I might be in luck.

I put it back together and re installed it to my tv, but the same situation described above ensued.

Could it be the hard drive even though its spinning? I couldn't hear any of the sound of the seek head moving in the drive as far as I could tell

Anyone ever experience this?

Angelo
post #672 of 734 Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

My CM PAL-7000 just went on the fritz today after maybe 3 years of abuse. I bought it refurbed from CM. ...
Anyone ever experience this?
check the thread for similar issues
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic
post #673 of 734 Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Thankyou P Smith. I am going to read up on your link!

Angelo
post #674 of 734 Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

It was a dusty mess inside especially around the cooling fan, so I used my air compressor to blast it clean.
I screwed up Windows with an air compressor one time. The computer was okay, so I just did a clean install.

Didn't learn anything from that one though. Recently used a vacuum cleaner to clean out my computer box, and fried the motherboard that time.

Computer components are very extremely static sensitive.

Obviously, I tend to forget.
post #675 of 734 Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM

I have to thank P Smith. I followed the reboot procedure by removing the antenna cable and that allowed my remote to work again, I did the factory reset in the menu and let the unit set up again like a new one and it now works! I recorded a few programs too. The unit works and the remote works, ( I hope it stays that way but in the DTV pal thread linked above, it sounds like the unit is starting to die, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath...)

I saw mentioned in the thread too that some are having troubles begin when the unit snags daylight savings time? When my PAL crapped out had its clock had the time an hour ahead. After rebooting as in the above paragraph the clock is now correct...

As far as using a compressor to blast the dirt out, I hold the nozzle about 1.5' away from whatever I'm cleaning. I've never had a problem doing this but I sure luck had more to do with it than any skill.....

Angelo
post #676 of 734 Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes; as discussed in the other thread, these units often have issues with corrupted timers whenever DST goes into or out of effect. This can happen on either the date of the actual DST change, or (due to a common bug in many stations' PSIP encoders) one month before the change. Check the DTVPal thread linked above for more details.

Three of my five recording timers were scrambled by the fake DST change yesterday. I deleted them and will re-enter them next weekend. I'll probably have to do the same thing again next month.
post #677 of 734 Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM

My CM 7000 must have heard me questioning it. Now it no longer works. If I unplug and replug it, it switches to stand by and I can not get it to come back on. Ias it time for a new one? Which one?

David
post #678 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

You could PM P Smith and see if he'd be willing to check it out for you. If he can't fix it, you could look for another DVR on Ebay, or buy a new one.

On Ebay your best choice would probably be another Pal. You might also find a used CM-7400 or Entone 458, but they have less sensitive tuners than the Pal (and the CM-7400 always seems on the verge of overheating).

Among new DVRs, the DVR+ is probably most similar to the Pal: 2 tuners, grid-style guide, etc. You would need to add an external HDD, and may also need an RF splitter (to watch live TV while it records two shows; the DVR+ has no RF output) and/or an HDMI converter (if your TV doesn't have an HDMI input).
post #679 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

My CM 7000 must have heard me questioning it. Now it no longer works. If I unplug and replug it, it switches to stand by and I can not get it to come back on. Ias it time for a new one? Which one?

David
Have you checked your remote? biggrin.gif
post #680 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM

I'll check the remote but I called CM and they could not get it to work. The unit is only two years old so I am not sure I want to buy another CM again.
post #681 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll check the remote but I called CM and they could not get it to work. The unit is only two years old so I am not sure I want to buy another CM again.
are you sure ? all of them been mfg-ed in 2007-2008
post #682 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

The sales slip says I bought it September 11, 2011. I really liked the unit, which I bought directionally from CM
post #683 of 734 Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sales slip says I bought it September 11, 2011. I really liked the unit, which I bought directionally from CM
then I would look inside to see if components marked mfg date late then 2008
post #684 of 734 Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM

I have the Roamio set up now and have the old CM7000PAL and also the Magnavox 513 all hooked to our TV. By putting them all on the same station,I noticed thAt the CM has much stronger sound. Chgd cables inputs etc to no avail. I'm surprised at this. But now I can record 7 channels. Love it Roamio Basic
post #685 of 734 Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Somewhere on the menus there is an audio option for night or normal volume. Change it and see what happens.
post #686 of 734 Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW the "night" and "standard" settings are apparently reversed. "Night" is loud, "standard" is soft.
post #687 of 734 Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

BTW the "night" and "standard" settings are apparently reversed. "Night" is loud, "standard" is soft.
not on my DVR [F208]
post #688 of 734 Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

not on my DVR [F208]

I think that "night" and "standard" actually mean "compressed" and "not compressed". The relative loudness of them depends on what you are watching at the time.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #689 of 734 Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Dolby Digital is supposed to support four comprression types, AFAIK: light, normal, heavy, and inverse, IIRC. Most players don't seem to let you use more than one or two of them, which are probably the normal and heavy options.
post #690 of 734 Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahanner View Post

I think that "night" and "standard" actually mean "compressed" and "not compressed". The relative loudness of them depends on what you are watching at the time.

Really? I'll have to check that out; I didn't realize that there was compression on the 'night' setting, which is where I have mine set. I sometimes notice that audiences sound really weird and hollow and compressed, like on SNL, but that may be coming from their audio and not from the CM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page