Let us know what you conclude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 719 Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello.  I'm a new member to the AVS forum and have been following the Channel Master & Dish DTVPAL threads for a while now.  First, I want to send a huge thank you to all who have posted some very helpful info re: OTA DVR's.  Second, I must sadly report that my CM-7000 recently "died" after a little over 3 years of (mostly) faithful service.  It started a few weeks back after the DST bug on 2/9 (the clock was off by an hour), and then when I turned it on the very next day it got stuck on the reboot/title screen (where it shows the white screen with Channel Master logo and "loading info" bar) and would not progress past this point.  I was able to do a soft reboot using the remote, but it would still not go past the title screen.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in after a few minutes, same results.  Unplugged it, let it rest for a few days, plugged it back in, same results.  Swapped hard drives, still the same results.  I'm afraid it's toast, and not really sure what to do with it now.  I'm open to replacing it with a new OTA-DVR, but reluctant to give Channel Master any more of my hard-earned bucks, and before I go this route I'd like to be certain it's absolutely necessary.  Is there any other way I might possibly revive my CM-7000?...or, considering everything I've described and done up to this point, does it sound like it has indeed officially kicked the bucket?  Any help/info would be much appreciated, thanks!

post #693 of 719 Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaga View Post

Hello.  I'm a new member to the AVS forum and have been following the Channel Master & Dish DTVPAL threads for a while now.  First, I want to send a huge thank you to all who have posted some very helpful info re: OTA DVR's.  Second, I must sadly report that my CM-7000 recently "died" after a little over 3 years of (mostly) faithful service.  It started a few weeks back after the DST bug on 2/9 (the clock was off by an hour), and then when I turned it on the very next day it got stuck on the reboot/title screen (where it shows the white screen with Channel Master logo and "loading info" bar) and would not progress past this point.  I was able to do a soft reboot using the remote, but it would still not go past the title screen.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in after a few minutes, same results.  Unplugged it, let it rest for a few days, plugged it back in, same results.  Swapped hard drives, still the same results.  I'm afraid it's toast, and not really sure what to do with it now.  I'm open to replacing it with a new OTA-DVR, but reluctant to give Channel Master any more of my hard-earned bucks, and before I go this route I'd like to be certain it's absolutely necessary.  Is there any other way I might possibly revive my CM-7000?...or, considering everything I've described and done up to this point, does it sound like it has indeed officially kicked the bucket?  Any help/info would be much appreciated, thanks!
I was told to unplug the unit for at least 15 minutes and I've done that successfully twice in a row and unit has always worked for me.

The CM 7000 PAL is still one of the best units around even though I have laid down a bunch of cash to have a TiVo Romeo I still have them plugged into the same TV
Yes the TiVo TiVo Romeo basic works fabulous but it doesn't have all the functions that I was used to on the CM unit.
Don't give up on your old unit it is just too good to let go. P Smith could probably fix it for you but I would still play around shutting off turning on all sorts of things to try to get it to start before going that far.
I feel lucky that I have both of my old units working giving me a total of seven channels that I can record if I have to. Lots of luck.
post #694 of 719 Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Hello.  I'm a new member to the AVS forum and have been following the Channel Master & Dish DTVPAL threads for a while now.  First, I want to send a huge thank you to all who have posted some very helpful info re: OTA DVR's.  Second, I must sadly report that my CM-7000 recently "died" after a little over 3 years of (mostly) faithful service.  It started a few weeks back after the DST bug on 2/9 (the clock was off by an hour), and then when I turned it on the very next day it got stuck on the reboot/title screen (where it shows the white screen with Channel Master logo and "loading info" bar) and would not progress past this point.

Did you follow the exact method described in the DTV-PAL forum? I don't see where you disconnected the antenna cable. If you did could you describe exactly what happens when you plug the unit back in without the antenna cable connected? If you would describe the sequence and screens that come up in the loop that would be helpful. I had the same problem at about the same time and it took me several attempts to get to the menu screen. (maybe as many as 20 tries) If you do get there be sure to do a "Restore Factory Defaults".
post #695 of 719 Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Sorry, I left out a few details >>> Yes, I tried resetting it (unplugging the unit, waiting a few minutes, plugging the unit back in) many times with slight variations each time: with the antenna connected;  without the antenna connected;  with different hard drives installed (two different hard drives - the original and a compatible WD 250GB 3.5"); with NO hard drive installed;  waiting various amounts of time between reset attempts (the last series of attempts being after the unit was unplugged for a week).  All in all I tried resetting at least 20 times, probably more.  Each time, the unit will power up (red & green light on in front) and the TV will display a white screen with the Channel Master CM-7000 logo in red and a "loading" message below the logo with a series of dots aligned in a horizontal row (the dots will flash in sequence one after the other, over and over), and that's it...it never progresses beyond this point, not matter how long I wait.

post #696 of 719 Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I left out a few details >>> Yes, I tried resetting it (unplugging the unit, waiting a few minutes, plugging the unit back in) many times with slight variations each time: with the antenna connected;  without the antenna connected;  with different hard drives installed (two different hard drives - the original and a compatible WD 250GB 3.5"); with NO hard drive installed;  waiting various amounts of time between reset attempts (the last series of attempts being after the unit was unplugged for a week).  All in all I tried resetting at least 20 times, probably more.  Each time, the unit will power up (red & green light on in front) and the TV will display a white screen with the Channel Master CM-7000 logo in red and a "loading" message below the logo with a series of dots aligned in a horizontal row (the dots will flash in sequence one after the other, over and over), and that's it...it never progresses beyond this point, not matter how long I wait.
If you haven't already, I would check the antenna line by putting it on the TV itself to see if the connection is okay or replace the line and check it that way good luck
post #697 of 719 Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 127
otaga, check you PM
post #698 of 719 Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I just had a similar experience with my 4 year old PAL. After several power cycles (including one of several hours of power off), it even quit sending any video to the TV (no boot-up screen). I disconnected the antenna, no difference. I switched from HDMI to coax output, no difference. The red & green lights would come on for a few seconds, then go off, with the TV staying blank. I opened the case for the first time (damn those (now broken off) tabs!), and blew out what little dust was in there (mostly on the fan). I removed & reinstalled the hard drive in the cleaning process. Put it all back together, hooked up to HDMI, and it booted up normally.
post #699 of 719 Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JohnnGa > Try unplugging both the power AND the Antenna. Then, just plug in the Power. There is some report that a "bogus" ( "tropo" ??? ) channel somehow gets added, then stops being received. However, it may have been a "great" channel while the atmospheric conditions were when the channel was added. So, the CM-7000PAL tries to get the guide data from it and never tries the other channels.

If it gets past this, plug the antenna back in. Make sure you get rid of any channels that don't work. It's probably even better to do a Factory Reset - Kurt
post #700 of 719 Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoceski View Post

JohnnGa > Try unplugging both the power AND the Antenna. Then, just plug in the Power. There is some report that a "bogus" ( "tropo" ??? ) channel somehow gets added, then stops being received. However, it may have been a "great" channel while the atmospheric conditions were when the channel was added. So, the CM-7000PAL tries to get the guide data from it and never tries the other channels.

If it gets past this, plug the antenna back in. Make sure you get rid of any channels that don't work. It's probably even better to do a Factory Reset - Kurt

Thanks Kurt, but disconnecting the antenna was the first thing I tried. Nothing changed until I had opened the case, removed the hard drive (power & signal cables), then put it all back together. Doesn't make sense, but it has been working fine ever since.

I haven't looked for "dead" channels, but I will. I am in central Arkansas and it occasionally picks up a few from northern Louisiana.
post #701 of 719 Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM

I checked my PMs and tried the advice given there, but unfortunately still no luck with reviving my DVR.  It keeps sticking on the initial "Loading, please wait" screen.  The only additional info I can offer is that I also blew out the dust once I removed the cover the first time, but I don't think it was even necessary since I found very little dust inside to begin with (the unit sits inside a cabinet, so dust doesn't really have much of a chance to get to it).  Also, I don't think overheating was an issue...I would check it periodically and it never felt like it was too hot.

Pardon the mixed metaphors, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel, wash my hands of Channel Master and take the Tivo plunge.  If it's possible to get the CM-7000 repaired at a reasonable cost, I might consider that and then use it as a secondary unit on another TV, but at this point don't have much faith in it (or any other CM product) as my main DVR.

Thanks again to all who offered advice & help, much appreciated!

post #702 of 719 Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I checked my PMs and tried the advice given there, but unfortunately still no luck with reviving my DVR.  It keeps sticking on the initial "Loading, please wait" screen.  The only additional info I can offer is that I also blew out the dust once I removed the cover the first time, but I don't think it was even necessary since I found very little dust inside to begin with (the unit sits inside a cabinet, so dust doesn't really have much of a chance to get to it).  Also, I don't think overheating was an issue...I would check it periodically and it never felt like it was too hot.

Pardon the mixed metaphors, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel, wash my hands of Channel Master and take the Tivo plunge.  If it's possible to get the CM-7000 repaired at a reasonable cost, I might consider that and then use it as a secondary unit on another TV, but at this point don't have much faith in it (or any other CM product) as my main DVR.

Thanks again to all who offered advice & help, much appreciated!

Go to the "DTVPAL thread". They are having similar problems and have changed drives with success but P.Smith does repairs on these.
post #703 of 719 Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

not on my DVR [F208]
When using the COMPOSITE AUDIO connections, I also get MUCH better audio levels after selecting "Night" rather than "Standard" under "Dolby Digital Setup" ( press: menu, #3, #4 ) .........(why - ???). Have my DVR connected to DVD Recorder then out to CRT T.V. My software version: [ F400TALD-N ] ( re. JHBrandt post #686 )
post #704 of 719 Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post

When using the COMPOSITE AUDIO connections, I also get MUCH better audio levels after selecting "Night" rather than "Standard" under "Dolby Digital Setup" ( press: menu, #3, #4 ) .........(why - ???). Have my DVR connected to DVD Recorder then out to CRT T.V. My software version: [ F400TALD-N ] ( re. JHBrandt post #686 )

Mine is the same. I don't know why but I sure wish my new Roamio had this much audio level. Btw I use the HDMI line.
post #705 of 719 Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post

I suspect rahanner has figured out the answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahanner View Post

I think that "night" and "standard" actually mean "compressed" and "not compressed". The relative loudness of them depends on what you are watching at the time.

If Night means Compressed, it would raise the volume of soft passages and lower the volume of loud ones. Presumably, the idea is to let you turn down the volume on your TV or sound system (so loud sounds like explosions aren't too loud for folks trying to sleep in another room), yet still be able to hear ordinary dialog. But since most shows have more dialog than explosions, the net effect is an increase in volume, which is why the two settings sound as if they're reversed.

If you prefer more of a "home theater" experience, choose Standard and crank the volume wink.gif
post #706 of 719 Old 06-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Here's a stumper of sorts for me - I recently acquired a used Cm7000PAL that has a odd issue - it turns on - runs through all the "normal looking" wake up and run processes, can be factory reset and will scan in channels and seems fairly "normal" in operations until it suddenly just freezes on a random seeming screen.

Some times it's been several minutes from start up and others it can be a fairly short time into setup of programming schedules.

I have another CM7000PAL that tends to do this a few times a year and it mainly seems to be related to the semi annual broadcast adventures in Day Light Savings changes... Or when I have a recorded show playing and there are two scheduled records to be started.

For both machines the only response is unplugging the machines and then plugging back in after a short "time out rest". Both machines have the latest F400 update showing in the status screen.

I swapped out the hard drive in the recently acquired CM7000 with a 1T WD10EURX drive and it had the same issues - interesting side note - I ran the CM7000 format diagnostics option and it seemed to go rather fast and the machine auto rebooted - I don't think I've seen other CM7000s reboot after a hard drive re-format. After the reboot the CM7000 started up and behaved the same as with the WD 250GB drive it came with - including the random freezing issue.

I swapped the hard drives back out - reinstalling the WD 250GB drive that came with the CM7000.

The WD10EURX 1T drive I put back in the external drive enclosure I had it in let me hook it up to my computer and interestingly the 1T drive seems to have retained it's NTFS partition and format although the CM7000PAL supposedly reformatted it and I thought that would kill off the NTFS partition.

Is this a common or known issue in the CM7000PAL history ? I've been looking for the F400 update ever since and can't find any sign of it on the web anymore - is there anyplace where it can be found these days ?

I'm thinking the update might be bad on this CM7000 or the hard disk "controller" circuit is twisted... Any one else here had this experience and a fix ?
post #707 of 719 Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Hi FeedMeNoSpam,

I don't think that the CM7000 support drive bigger than 500GB maybe that is why your format of 1 TB hard drive don't work.

For your freezing problem, maybe it was caused by heating. Maybe the CM7000 has accumulated a lot of dust inside and the fan is not
abel to dissipate the heat. Open the CM7000 and take a look.

Darmand
post #708 of 719 Old 06-04-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

CM7k or DTVpalDVR aka TR-50 does support drive up to 1 TB.

The freezing issue is well known defect of some the DVR - it's define bad ball soldering of CPU (roughly 500 balls underneath) and sometimes bad main PCB. In home environment you can't fix it (if it possible).

Opening and cleaning DVR would be good approach to make it work better if a real reason is overheating.
post #709 of 719 Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Thank you for the quick reply, I just fired the twitchy CM7000PAL with it's original WD 250GB drive back in it and did a startup and it did the lockup shortly after getting to operating mode, so I unplugged and did a rebooted and then did a "install" to re scan the channels - then dumped the ones I already know as junk.

I tried a reformat of the WD250 drive and it did the same thing the 1TB Drive did - start the reformatting screen then suddenly reboot - both drives report the expected hours available for recording after a complete reboot of the machine...

I then started a recording of a 1/2Hr show manually and it's still running for the time being after the show recording got done - now it's just running and waiting to lock up...

Something I forgot to mention was that another odd thing was about the WD250 drive I pulled out and replaced with a WD 1T AV drive - when I hooked the WD250GB up to a USB adapter and got a Win 7 Pro machine looking at it, it was reported as a weird drive type that would not reformat. But I didn't go completely geeky on trying to delete all partitions and re-initialize the drive.

I did not notice any dust build up in the machine when I pulled the WD250GB hard drive the 1st time - I did check out the fan and it looked surprisingly clean, so I think the last user may have cleaned it out already. I've cleaned out a lot of PCs so I know that one ;>

I'll take a more attentive look at it and maybe try to check the soldering on the processor, just looking nothing invasive ;>

Thanks again for the quick replies - any pointers on where to get a copy of the USB installable F400 update file ?
post #710 of 719 Old 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Regarding using the WD250GB drive in a PC, you may need to download, install, and run a small, free utility called "hdparm" in order to program the drive to spin up under Windows. This is a Linux utility, but a Windows version (using CygWin library) exists too. See this post for the syntax of the necessary command: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/14440_20#post_22248312

Once that's taken care of, you can partition (FDisk or equivalent) and format the drive. The Pal uses a proprietary file system not recognized by any (legal) PC software, so you won't be able to use it without partitioning then formatting.

F400 firmware doesn't seem to be available anywhere (except preloaded on all CM-7000Pals, of course). It wouldn't matter anyway because the Pal will not reinstall the current firmware version - it will only install updates, of which there are none.
post #711 of 719 Old 06-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the follow-on info about the futility of seeking F400 - I was afraid that would be the news - think I already read something about that somewhere but wasn't sure.
I just did a HDD reformat with a CM7000PAL that does not have the constant freeze problem (only does it a few times a year) - and this let me learn what I already knew also - part of the reformat routine is a reboot, duh makes total sense - now I'd likely over looked the last warning before the reboot goes into effect that says it's going to reboot... Since I only do the reformats after I've finished off viewing all the recording and deleted them already I read the first part about "you will lose all recordings" or something like that and didn't even notice the reboot part right after that :P

I think the constantly freezing CM7000PAL is a mortally wounded one that falls in the "for parts" category on eBay or (gag) Craig's list...
post #712 of 719 Old 06-07-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedMeNoSpam View Post

I think the constantly freezing CM7000PAL is a mortally wounded one that falls in the "for parts" category on eBay or (gag) Craig's list...
looks to me as correct assessment smile.gif
post #713 of 719 Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Unhappy Further Checking of Freezing CM7000PAL

Did a little more poking and looking inside the beast and spotted a capacitor that has a raised dome top vs all the other capacitors having flat tops... Suspect the capacitor might be the problem source.

I took a scan picture of the circuit board area where the capacitor is at, but I can't find a way to attach the .jpg to this message.

It appears to be the C32 capacitor which sits near the power supply board and where there is a "PSU Warmer" name on the main circuit board. There are three capacitors in a row and the suspect one is the large one starting the row furthest from the rear of the machine.

Don't know enough about the circuit's design and functions to know what the capacitor does, but prior experience with failing electronics makes a bulging capacitor top very suspect... Wish I knew of an electronics repair depot that could deal with this.

Thanks for the attachment info - completely missed that part when I was looking around earlier - got off tracked by the little "Insert Image" icon in the tool bar that popped up a "enter web address where image is" option.

Also - I think it is C33 I miss typed C32, I do see C34 near the other side of the domed capacitor but could not decide if it was for the domed cap or the next one over.
The pic with raised sharpness is of a "good" board not the troubled one. You might be able to make out the circuit board markings on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM7000PAL W-Puffy Cap 33-34 Close-Up at 600dpi.jpg (106.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CM7000PAL W-Puffy Cap 33-34 Close-Up At 600dpi With Txt.jpg (107.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CM7000PAL Closeup Raised Sharpness.jpg (90.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by FeedMeNoSpam; 06-20-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added images of circuit board and pointers
post #714 of 719 Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

go to bottom of Quick reply and use MANAGE ATTACHMENTS to attach the picture;

I don't see C32 mark (seems to me it doesn't exist, as there are C28,C31 and a jump to C34
it could be totally bad or partially, but you will need good o-scope to check the +2.6V rail's ripples (200-500 MHz to be sure you catch all of them) as it digital rail feeding a CPU
post #715 of 719 Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

try again, no pictures here
post #716 of 719 Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CM7000 PAL remote needed

Hello, would anyone out there happen to have a CM-7000PAL remote for sale. Thanks
post #717 of 719 Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

get dish remote 20.1 at ebay; it's cheap
read also recommendation of remote at main thread - dvtpaldvr thread here
post #718 of 719 Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Channel Master CM7000PAL Remote

Anyone have a working Channel Master 7000PAL remote for sale?
post #719 of 719 Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la196 View Post
Anyone have a working Channel Master 7000PAL remote for sale?
see above
go to eBay
get mode 20.1
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page