Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 735 Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Ok price, it's $338 delivered through Amazon.com.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 735 Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried that code, price did discount $20 to $330 delivered, not $279 or I would have pulled the trigger too...
post #63 of 735 Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

See here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/support.shtml

Or run network update. My old DTVPal DVR was already updated. I hope there would be more updates, but I doubt it.
post #64 of 735 Old 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjones View Post

Tried that code, price did discount $20 to $330 delivered, not $279 or I would have pulled the trigger too...

I got the same price on Crutchfield with the coupon code. Still the best possible price. eBay lowest price is $8 more right now. And you get Crutchfield Customer Service instead of eBay non-existent customer service.
post #65 of 735 Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
"Freezing... and a remedy!"

Nearly all HDMI cables found at your local elect. stores are v1.2 cables. For trouble free HDMI connections, you need a v1.3 cable - v1.4 for the new 3D TVs.

Donald1800
post #66 of 735 Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

Nearly all HDMI cables found at your local elect. stores are v1.2 cables. For trouble free HDMI connections, you need a v1.3 cable - v1.4 for the new 3D TVs.

Donald1800

The CM-7000PAL running HDMI v1.1, so what is your post about ?
post #67 of 735 Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

BS, there is no such thing as a v1.4 HDMI cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

Now cable manufacturers officially are prohibited to market the cables by HDMI standard version (for instance "HDMI 1.4 cable") - the cables are distinguished in bitrate support only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables
post #68 of 735 Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

BS, there is no such thing as a v1.4 HDMI cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

Now cable manufacturers officially are prohibited to market the cables by HDMI standard version (for instance "HDMI 1.4 cable") - the cables are distinguished in bitrate support only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

------------------------------------------------

Regardless of your informational references, the fact is that the "...bitrate support..." IS sold by HDMI version number AND capability from knowledgable sources - I personally purchased two v1.4 HDMI High Speed/Ethernet cables for my new 3D HDTV.

Now, these 'philosophical' differences aside, the real issue is that many HDMI CM7000/DTVPal DVR communications problems with modern flat panel TVs are caused by users NOT being aware of the needed "...bitrate support..."/capabiity HDMI version cable needed for their TV - hence my post bringing this to their attention.

So, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

Donald1800
post #69 of 735 Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, not buying ...
Seen those things in a EELab ('eyeview' diagrams if you aware).

Wasting money - for short distance (keep it short, master ! ) any HDMI cable will works perfectly with DTVpal DVR and remember: it's support v1.1 not higher.

Don't spent your fingertips' energy to answer.
post #70 of 735 Old 01-13-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

So, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

As opposed to what you are smoking. Which appears to be a lot of you blindly believing in advertising hype and putting in your pipe.
post #71 of 735 Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post

I've had one of these for a few months and it's been working very well. However, I did find an odd bug.

When I originally hooked up the unit, I used the HDMI cable from my DVD player since that was the only HDMI cable I had available. It worked fine until I replaced that HDMI cable with a brand new one I bought. Then whenever I powered off the unit, it would freeze up and become unresponsive. The only way to bring it back up was to unplug it and plug it back in. This puzzled me for about a week until I realized that I was using the new HDMI cable. So after swapping the cables, it's been working fine! (And the new cable has been working fine on my DVD player.) Bizarre...

Has anyone else run into this issue? If so, and you're still puzzled, I may have stumbled upon the fix.

--------------------------------------------------

I personally do not care what the doubters/negators post about this subject. It is NOT posted for their benefit. There are too many posts about DTVPal and now CM-7000 DVR HDMI cable comunications problems with the new HD flat panels, and this one clearly shows that the HDMI cable was the cause of his problem.

It is still my recommendation that those who are faced with a communication problem with a flat panel to locate an on-line source for a
v1.3 HDMI cable for standard HD with in-cable audio and a v1.4 High Speed for 3D HD with in-cable audio, and NOT buy the old v1.0 - v1.2 cables at the local electronics store.

Donald1800
post #72 of 735 Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------

I personally do not care what the doubters/negators post about this subject. It is NOT posted for their benefit. There are too many posts about DTVPal and now CM-7000 DVR HDMI cable comunications problems with the new HD flat panels, and this one clearly shows that the HDMI cable was the cause of his problem.

It is still my recommendation that those who are faced with a communication problem with a flat panel to locate an on-line source for a
v1.3 HDMI cable for standard HD with in-cable audio and a v1.4 High Speed for 3D HD with in-cable audio, and NOT buy the old v1.0 - v1.2 cables at the local electronics store.

Donald1800

You made your own opinion based of consumerism, not on technical reason what still unknown to that poster too.
As EE I would think it was malfunctioning in that new HDMI cable, if I would have access to it I would test it in EElab and I feel there is something is bad, not what you imagined.
post #73 of 735 Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM

If you've bought an HDMI cable in the last year from a retailer that does enough volume of business to have turnover, it is definitely 1.3. Still have to shop around for the 1.4s.
post #74 of 735 Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

No, Mr. P Smith, my recommendation is NOT based upon consumerism. And, flaunting your E.E. degree does NOT validate your opinion. I too am a retired Sr. Electronics Engineer, with over 27 years in both employment and Independent Contracting with commercial and military/government projects (requiring a Secret clearance) as a design engineer in analog/digital circuits, microprocessor system design/software specification/requirements, system analysis/integration, reliability analysis, project management, etc. I did not see a need to publish my vitae until your blather reached this level.

I have agreed with most of your comments in the past on both the DTVPal and CM-7000 forums, but in this case I must disagree with your opinion, and I suggest that you allow this disagreement to stand without further comment or nastiness. Remember that this is STILL an open forum where differing opinions can be freely posted, and assistance with user problems is it's primary function.

Donald1800
post #75 of 735 Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM

You guys are getting vociferous. Everybody throw away your old cords. Where are you guys getting these 1.1s and 1.2s anyway?

Pot kettle black. Yeah, and now you need to edit for spelling. Grammar.
post #76 of 735 Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, Mr. P Smith, my recommendation is NOT based upon consumerism. And, flaunting your E.E. degree does NOT validate your opinion. I too am a retired Sr. Electronics Engineer, with over 27 years in both employment and Independent Contracting with commercial and military/government projects (requiring a Secret clearance) as a design engineer in analog/digital circuits, microprocessor system design/software specification/requirements, system analysis/integration, reliability analysis, project management, etc. I did not see a need to publish my vitae until your blather reached this level.

I have agreed with most of your comments in the past on both the DTVPal and CM-7000 forums, but in this case I must disagree with your opinion, and I suggest that you allow this disagreement to stand without further comment or nastiness. Remember that this is STILL an open forum where differing opinions can be freely posted, and assistance with user problems is it's primary function.

Donald1800
OK, Donald, I'm glad we are found one common background to discuss technical (I would like to see them as facts supporting by law of physics ) aspects of HDMI connection between the OTA DVR (regardless many names) and HD TV set.
I don't see disagreement in my attempt to find a reason of your failed cable. That would be good ground to discuss what exactly happened.

As to 1.4 or 1.3 etc requirement, I wouldn't arguing again, it's just simple thing what has absolutely not sign of adhering to the DVR capabilities.
post #77 of 735 Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Hi folks, I have the CM7000pal and have noticed that it always skips over repeated episodes. But sometimes I WANT to watch the repeat. I cannot find any setting to override this function. I know this is contrary to what most people want, but any help would be appreciated. The only solution I have found so far is to just keep checking the schedule for repeats and manually going into each one and telling the DVR to record it. Pain in the butt.
post #78 of 735 Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzdvl View Post

Your recent posts about HDMI cables (v1.0 - 1.4) made me wonder about something:

I know that the change in HDMI version number refers to changes in the implementation of the HDMI standard for newer devices (additional features and capabilities requiring increased bandwidth and increased speed of signal transmission, etc.), but what are the actual physical differences between an HDMI "v1.0" cable and one suitable for v1.4?

Go to Monoprice.com for HDMI cables, specs. and information. Nearly all the HDMI cables they sell are Category 2 - high speed which are good HDMI 1.4 and on back.

From their FAQ:
Quote:

Question: What is Category 2
Answer: Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or category 1) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz, which is the equivalent of a 1080i signal.

High-Speed (or category 2) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

It is possible for a cable to pass a 1080p signal and 1.3 extended bandwidth signal without being Category 2. These cables would have bandwidth that are beyond category 1 but below category 2. Most of our non-category 2 cables perform in this range.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #79 of 735 Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

for start, please, stop using HDMI devices standards when talking about HDMI cables - for those must be used "categories", for now 1 and 2 ( as defined by HDMI org).

From a field of testing [USB] cables in EElab - factors: number of twists per foot/inch, thickness/purity of strands of each wire, bonding to connector's 'pins', shielding (per pair, per cable), connector build (contacts, isolating). At the end of testing - by eye diagram real signals fitted into spec.
post #80 of 735 Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
i had trouble receiving tvgos on my channel master dvr until i did a factory reset. so be advised and new owners , you might have to do this

cm4221 with amp then 2 way splitter for 2 tv's at kayuta lake camp
antennacraft u4000 4-bay at home
post #81 of 735 Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonik View Post
Hi folks, I have the CM7000pal and have noticed that it always skips over repeated episodes. But sometimes I WANT to watch the repeat. I cannot find any setting to override this function. I know this is contrary to what most people want, but any help would be appreciated. The only solution I have found so far is to just keep checking the schedule for repeats and manually going into each one and telling the DVR to record it. Pain in the butt.
This is interesting...it skips over repeats?
I have 2 of the earlier DTV PAL DVRs and one of the things users have wished for was this capability to skip repeats like the Tivo units do.

Maybe we old PAL users need this software release that you have in your box. I would love to skip repeats.
post #82 of 735 Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Anyone receiving TVGuide information OTA in St. Louis? I'm not getting it on my new ChannelMaster DVR.
post #83 of 735 Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Anyone ever try:
(1) attaching an external hard drive dock wired into the motherboard SATA connection or
(2) affixing SATA data & power "Y" cords from mother board to 2 simultaneous external hard drives (possibly in docks) for having a second identical copy of everything recorded?
Also
(3) would burning a full hard drive's image to an identical hard drive be a way to make a back-up copy of a DTVPal hard drive?
post #84 of 735 Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GurZ View Post

Anyone ever try:
(1) attaching an external hard drive dock wired into the motherboard SATA connection or
(2) affixing SATA data & power "Y" cords from mother board to 2 simultaneous external hard drives (possibly in docks) for having a second identical copy of everything recorded?
Also
(3) would burning a full hard drive's image to an identical hard drive be a way to make a back-up copy of a DTVPal hard drive?

I've never tried any of those things, but:
(1) I don't see why an external drive wouldn't work;
(2) I'm pretty sure you can't just "Y" a SATA data connection, but you might try a variation on (1) where the external drive is a true (transparent) hardware RAID;
(3) I think you could backup by cloning with Acronis or whatever.
post #85 of 735 Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

L. David Matheny, thanks for your reply.

I intend on trying an external HD dock before too long. I mean, given that I just purchased this DTVPal device
I'll probably wait to complete its 120 days of warranty first.
I also intend on looking at the Acronis clone software you mentioned. Maybe by late July I'll post some docking and cloning results here.

Thanks again, GurZ
post #86 of 735 Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
post #87 of 735 Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

It appears this DVR has TVGOS. Anyone check to see what version ?..
IIRC the latest TVGOS version is V9.
Or is it limited to PSIP data

It does do TVGOS but doesn't use TVGOS software to do so, it just receives and utilizes the data.

You really ought to read the DTVPal DVR thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

In fact IMO the amount of sheer information in that thread should necessitate a fairly obvious link in the first post of this thread. Maybe in 40pt blinking font or something. In the two pages I've read in this thread so far most questions have been covered to death in the DTVPal thread and answers exist in the very first post.

I stole your sig.
post #88 of 735 Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:

Regardless of your informational references

Wanna buy some Monster cables Donny? I hear they're the best. Especially their gold plated TOSLINK cables.

I stole your sig.
post #89 of 735 Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM

After reading this topic and the DTVPAL-DVR topic, there are several postings about differences in the behavior of the Channel Master box: handling of the daylight savings time change correctly in record timers and that the CM box does not re-record reruns. Can someone who has a CM7000PAL box confirm that these capabilities exist on their box? Over on the DTVPAL-DVR topic the conclusion seems to be that the CM firmware and box are the same as the DTVPAL-DVR.

Thanks,

-- Mike
post #90 of 735 Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeAVS View Post

After reading this topic and the DTVPAL-DVR topic, there are several postings about differences in the behavior of the Channel Master box: handling of the daylight savings time change correctly in record timers and that the CM box does not re-record reruns. Can someone who has a CM7000PAL box confirm that these capabilities exist on their box? Over on the DTVPAL-DVR topic the conclusion seems to be that the CM firmware and box are the same as the DTVPAL-DVR.

Thanks,

-- Mike

I don't think their was ever any confirmation that reruns get skipped on the CM. It was just 1 poster relating his experiences with skipped recordings.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page