Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 734 Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
go into setup and manually set the time?

cm4221 with amp then 2 way splitter for 2 tv's at kayuta lake camp
antennacraft u4000 4-bay at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 734 Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel27nc View Post

I do have something I was wondering if anyone else is having issues.

#1 Blocking channels that you'll never watch. I tried to do it by the manual, but when you do the lock out the way they say to do it....you lock out the whole unit, not just selected channels as the manual states.

#2 Anyone else having issue getting other remotes to work with CM remote?

1. No sure what procedure you are using. I HIDE the channels I never view, like PBS.2, and they disappear from all lists.

2. Don't have the slightest idea what you mean
post #153 of 734 Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Hello to all,

New CM-7000PAL owner here. Got the unit yesterday, I am overall pleased. I do have one issue I wonder if others are having. I did read the first post of the Dish DTVPal DVR forum, but not all 400+ pages... A piece of important information: I am located in Montreal, Canada, therefore I do not have the TVGOS, only the PSIP channel information.

I correctly set the timezone to Eastern, and select "Yes" to observing DST (side note: I tried "No", but it does not stay there, if I come back after selecting Done, it is back to "yes").

The current time as obtained automatically is one hour late (shows 17:00 when it is 18:00, as if DST is not engaged). Also, the times in the guide show all programs one hour early (the 18:00 news program is shown at 17:00). I tried changing the timezone to another one that would give me the proper time, but the system does not have any other timezone east of eastern, except Hawaï (wish I needed THAT timezone!). I can change the current time, but then with the guide times an hour early, the guide becomes useless.

I am guessing that the firmware is not up to date with the earlier DST change that started a few years ago and that it might clear up soon.

Questions:
- Is this a known issue? Is anyone else experiencing this?
- Does anyone know a work-around?

Thanks!

Dan.

P.S.: HDMI cable tip: When I initially inserted the HDMI cable, it seemed to go in, but in reality, it was not fully inserted. Had to use the composite output to do the setup since I saw nothing on the HDMI output. Only after a good deal searching for some non-existent HDMI output option did I double-check the HDMI cable and found I could insert it even further. I wonder if the first few posts that complained about no HDMI output were caused by this...

Bonjour Dan,

My understanding is that PSIP time is controled by the individual stations you receive, as well as the DST flag. Does your TV have a digital tuner? If it does see what time it shows using the TV guide or info screen. Also if it isn't enable the TV to automatically get time so it will use the stations PSIP time.

I'm guessing your too far away to get the Plattsburgh PBS station, WCFE? That shows as your closest TVGOS provider.
post #154 of 734 Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles233 View Post

go into setup and manually set the time?

Thank you for your suggestion. However, as I stated in my post, "I can change the current time, but then with the guide times an hour early, the guide becomes useless." Even if I set the time manually, the guide times are still an hour early. So when it's 18:00 and the guide only displays what is starting at 18:00, the programs shown are the ones that are really starting at 19:00. So I have no display of what the current program is, and you can imagine trying to do schedule a recording that way... You have to tell the unit to record the program that is one hour later, but when programs are of varying length, it becomes a nightmare real quick. So for now I'm living with the unit showing the time in non-DST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

Bonjour Dan,

My understanding is that PSIP time is controled by the individual stations you receive, as well as the DST flag. Does your TV have a digital tuner? If it does see what time it shows using the TV guide or info screen. Also if it isn't enable the TV to automatically get time so it will use the stations PSIP time.

I'm guessing your too far away to get the Plattsburgh PBS station, WCFE? That shows as your closest TVGOS provider.

Thanks, but my display has no tuners (Pioneer PRO-141FD monitor). As for WCFE, it does not come in, but I'm only using a cheapo small indoor antenna. I only get 4 local stations (SRC, CBC, V, T-Q).

I done some more digging. The PSIP time is GMT. When I look in the diagnostics, I can see the time transmitted by each channel, and they are all pretty much ok (as GMT time). However, at the end of the list, there is the mention "Save: +0 (enabled)", which I believe is the applied offset for daylight savings time, which is shown as enabled but with no offset. I believe that the unit is responsible for applying local time offset and deciding whether or not to apply DST. That would make sense, instead of the station, because if you're living near a time zone boundary, you wouldn't want the station in the other time zone to set your local time or DST flag.

Dan.

Another tip for special cases: If you want to change the output from RGB to YCbCr, on the HDMI pages, you can toggle between them by using the Page Up / Page Down buttons (my monitor incorrectly detects the RGB signal as 0-255 instead of 16-235). I initially tried to use the arrows to get to what looked like a button with no luck, but the page up/page down correctly changes the setting.
post #155 of 734 Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
"#1 Blocking channels that you'll never watch. I tried to do it by the manual, but when you do the lock out the way they say to do it....you lock out the whole unit, not just selected channels as the manual states.''

I have found my ratings lock was causing the issue. Since it was a new unit, didn't think that was enabled.

"#2 Anyone else having issue getting other remotes to work with CM remote?"
Still need help with the remote with entering my other remote with it.
post #156 of 734 Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

"#1 Blocking channels that you'll never watch. I tried to do it by the manual, but when you do the lock out the way they say to do it....you lock out the whole unit, not just selected channels as the manual states.''

I have found my ratings lock was causing the issue. Since it was a new unit, didn't think that was enabled.

"#2 Anyone else having issue getting other remotes to work with CM remote?"
Still need help with the remote with entering my other remote with it.

I'm not sure what you mean about other remotes working with the CM remote. Do you mean you're having trouble controlling your TV and other devices with the CM remote control? I can control four devices with my CM remote without issue. What is it you are trying to control?

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #157 of 734 Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean about other remotes working with the CM remote. Do you mean you're having trouble controlling your TV and other devices with the CM remote control? I can control four devices with my CM remote without issue. What is it you are trying to control?

I'm trying to use a RCA audio/tuner receiver, Sony 400 DVD player & a Insignia LCD TV. None of the codes work I put in & no codes for the Insignia TV.
post #158 of 734 Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 AM

I received the CM DVR as a Christmas gift (Dec 2010) and it has been working great until last week. Several times now, in the middle of viewing live TV, the screen goes completely white. The guide still works, signal strength doesn't change, but there is no audio or video, only a white screen. I've had to turn the unit off, unplug it, and reboot for it to work again.

Does anybody have a fix for this or is it just a bad unit?
post #159 of 734 Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm trying to use a RCA audio/tuner receiver, Sony 400 DVD player & a Insignia LCD TV. None of the codes work I put in & no codes for the Insignia TV.

I don't know why your RCA and Sony products don't work with the CM remote. The Insignia is an ornery thing when it comes to universal remotes. I've installed a couple of Insignia TVs for friends and could not find codes to work with Cox Cable remote controls. Cox customer service informed me that they are not supported for some reason.

My CM remote controls my Onkyo AVR, Toshiba HD DVD player, Sony Blu-ray player and Panasonic plasma TV. Provided codes worked for three of them but I had to use the device code scan to get the Onkyo to work. Have you tried using the scan code feature or have you only been entering the provided codes from the manual? If you haven't, give it a try.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #160 of 734 Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

One option is to buy a 20.0 IR dish remote. You can start from scratch or with a code, then reprogram any buttons on modes tv-vcr-aux.
post #161 of 734 Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Has anyone tried to connect the DVR to their network & remotely record shows from outside the house?
post #162 of 734 Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried to connect the DVR to their network & remotely record shows from outside the house?

you can do that using a slingbox. i have the dish DVRPAL unit, and slingbox AV, and it works like a champ.

tell the slingbox you have a dish network dvr 625. the slingbox program guide won't work, but the on-screen remote works perfectly.
post #163 of 734 Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post

you can do that using a slingbox. i have the dish DVRPAL unit, and slingbox AV, and it works like a champ.

tell the slingbox you have a dish network dvr 625. the slingbox program guide won't work, but the on-screen remote works perfectly.

So the slingbox will allow you to log into your network & start a recording from anywhere even though your not in the house....in case something comes up or you forgot to start a recording? So sweet. How much is the slingbox?
post #164 of 734 Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

So the slingbox will allow you to log into your network & start a recording from anywhere even though your not in the house....in case something comes up or you forgot to start a recording? So sweet. How much is the slingbox?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_el...=Sling%20Media
post #165 of 734 Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

I have chatted with a Channel Master Tech yesterday. He stated to me that next year, the software will be updated to allow remote recording & possible internet TV application to watch TV from the internet.

We'll see if this holds true.
post #166 of 734 Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I have chatted with a Channel Master Tech yesterday. He stated to me that next year, the software will be updated to allow remote recording & possible internet TV application to watch TV from the internet.

And probably nothing for DTV Pal DVR if it happens.
post #167 of 734 Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

All I want for now is software to make the dumb thing stop rebooting out of the blue. Looks like I'll be calling in tomorrow to discuss a return and replacement, because the factory reset didn't help.
post #168 of 734 Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyDVR33 View Post
All I want for now is software to make the dumb thing stop rebooting out of the blue. Looks like I'll be calling in tomorrow to discuss a return and replacement, because the factory reset didn't help.
I have the same issue but I've just learned to tolerate it, I still love the unit.

post #169 of 734 Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyDVR33 View Post
After the reset you did disable auto updating -- right?
post #170 of 734 Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

After the reset you did disable auto updating -- right?

Immediately.
post #171 of 734 Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
A J

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Occasionally (3 times in the week and a half I've had my CM-7000PAL), it has shut down while watching live TV. It then reboots and loads TVGOS updates. I assume that TVGOS updates are a routine necessity, a good thing, but is the reboot a required part of that procedure? No biggie, just a curiosity.

Second question: There is an oval, silver button on the remote, down and to the right of "Play" for which I can find no reference in the manual and no apparent function when I press it. What is it for?
post #172 of 734 Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Occasionally (3 times in the week and a half I've had my CM-7000PAL), it has shut down while watching live TV. It then reboots and loads TVGOS updates. I assume that TVGOS updates are a routine necessity, a good thing, but is the reboot a required part of that procedure? No biggie, just a curiosity.

Second question: There is an oval, silver button on the remote, down and to the right of "Play" for which I can find no reference in the manual and no apparent function when I press it. What is it for?
A lot of these boxes kind of reboot at will, I've just learned to live with it since it doesn't happen too often. My bigger concern is that I've had my unit a few months and it's frozen a few times requiring me pull the power cord and force a cold boot.

As to your second question, I really hope someone can answer that because I've been trying to figure out what that button is for as well. I have a feeling it's just a dummy reserved for some possible future use.

post #173 of 734 Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Yes, it's supposed to do that. You can set it not to if you really want to, but then you'll lose functionality.

Please read the DTVPal DVR thread if you want to know what you've got next to your TV there. This should be required reading for everyone in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

edit: Sorry, missed a bit there. Rebooting at preset intervals is desired behavior, random reboots are NOT. The problem is that you've got TVGOS enabled and it's buggy, you have to disable it. Instructions to do so should be in the first page of the above linked thread.

Note, you won't lose guide entirely, it'll still get PSIP guide data. You'll just lose listings being several days out.

Quote:
It's for a Dish satellite box. The remote for the Pal (DVR and non-DVR both) is derived from another, pre-existing design. For the DVR Dish just changed one button label on top to say "Pal" instead of "Sat" or "Dish". The phantom button does something, just not on this box.

I stole your sig.
post #174 of 734 Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 AM

I just got one of these from the channel master store as a refurb. So far so good, working just fine. Does the hard drive always spin all the time, because mine does.....

Has anyone swapped out the hard drive in the cm unit for a larger one? I've read and looked at the detailed instructions for the Dish Pal. It seems like a tedious procedure to pop the case lid?

I've got a 1.5T WD SATA drive laying around and wanted to swap it out...its one of the "green technology" kind and wondered if it would be ok to use, I did see the list of known drives to work in the other thread but mines not on it but its still got the right connector for it....

Thanks

Angelo
post #175 of 734 Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

I just got one of these from the channel master store as a refurb. So far so good, working just fine. Does the hard drive always spin all the time, because mine does.....

Mine does as well, even when powered off.
post #176 of 734 Old 04-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Mine does as well, even when powered off.

It's considered a design feature, not a bug, though there was much disagreement on the Dish DTVPal DVR forum about this point. To me it was remarkable that (1) people had very strong convictions on whether the hard drive should or should not be designed to power down; (2) no one had statistics or studies, just casual observation, samples-of-one, and "I always heard" stories.

Surely someone has done studies about this? (To which the standard response would be more casual observation, samples-of-one, and "I always heard" stories. )
post #177 of 734 Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Wish I knew about this thing before I purchased my Magnavox MDR-515H. Now I have to return it and get this. Recording to HD is something I've been looking for to go along with my new ST30 Plasma TV. And the dual HD tuners feature is cool.

EDIT:Nevermind, this thing cannot interpret basic cable signals in addition to Digital OTA...disappointing as that is a deal breaker for me...oh well, back to the drawing board. Anyone got a recommendation for a HD DVR that has a QAM tuner ( in the $200-$300 range)?

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #178 of 734 Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Well I'm really liking the performance of this machine. Have the antenna split out between this and my hdtv tuner. Very Fast channel changer and nice Guide. I esp like recording 2 shows while watching a third thru the tv tuner. The only thing I'm not liking so much is the hard drive size.....OTA is all I watched for the past 8 years. Family and friends ask way I dont have dish or cable, and over the past 8 years I can give them at least 6700.00 reasons why if you know what I mean....

Has anyone modded one of these CM with a larger hard drive and which one did you use that worked. I looked at the DTV-PAL thread at HD drives that work for that model, but the post is so old that the Hard Drives listed I cant seem to find one currently available...

I'm not to worried about voiding the warranty since I do alot of parts changing with my desktops and never had a problem. I think if this thing craps out it will be the hard drive anyway or a storm surge, rather than quality defect....

Angelo
post #179 of 734 Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I think if this thing craps out it will be the hard drive anyway or a storm surge, rather than quality defect....

If you're right, then why would you want a bigger hard drive? Anything you save on it will be GONE. I am still mourning the loss of the over 20 hours of things that were on the DTV Pal that died recently. Now I watch things ASAP and never put anything on there that I want to keep a copy of, because I never get around to transferring it off to a disc or tape. I record "keepers" directly to my DVD recorder.
post #180 of 734 Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked at the DTV-PAL thread at HD drives that work for that model, but the post is so old that the Hard Drives listed I cant seem to find one currently available...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ords%29&Page=6
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page