Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 735 Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Channel Master is distributing and retailing a High Definition HD Digital Video Recorder (DVR) model number CM-7000PAL HD DVR for dual tuner Over-The-Air (OTA) use. The rem "pal" in the model number is a synonym for "friend" and not a reference to the European broadcast standard.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/CM...cm-7000pal.htm

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&

Question: As of the initial date of this original post, May 24, 2010 has anyone acquired the hardware unit yet ? Does anyone know if the original equipment manufacture is Funai or whoever ?

Given that the MSRP price point is as mentioned in the above two URL's ... and that it records "only" thirty (30) of HD ... it seems a bit pricey. Yet it is an available option in year 2010.

Does anyone know the quality of the HD recording ?

The following URL is a review authored by David Reinhart:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/DT...-7000PAL.shtml

Note: Mr. Reinhart indicates the hardware is a clone of the (discontinued) DISH Network DTV-pal.

A cached webpage indicates it is the EchoStar TR-50.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Leo Henton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 735 Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Supposedly the product is the “exact” same as the DTVPal DVR. I have read both manuals, and other than a very slight updating for “name” change (Dish to Channel Master); they appear to be the same.

With the zillion of user reviews (see DTVPal DVR thread on this web site), all claim the HD picture quality is excellent, and the same as the original broadcast. That should be “true” AFAIK.

My only real concern regarding picture quality would be complete and accurate handling of black levels and detail via HDMI. Some DVR’s will crush blacks via HDMI connections and some HDTV’s will have HDMI Black Level adjustments to compensate for that – which may not always be a perfect solution. IMHO "crushed blacks" have really been a deficiency in the TV’s handling of the HDMI (it is not suppose to be an issue). It seems to me most higher quality and newer premium TV’s do not have an adjustment like that because those sets seem to handle all HDMI without issues, including any DVR connected. At this point I can only assume this is not a problem with the Channel Master or DTVPal DVR or others would have said something? I do not like the fact it cannot do “native” output via HDMI, meaning is the video processing up to par? IMO the Channel Master manual is not 100% clear on the subject, but everyone says it cannot do “native”. Will it also be able to maintain “exact” pixel mapping for 1080i?

I think the only real issue or question is “How long will it last?” If it last just one year that’s not good enough for me. If it last 5 years or more, then that will work. The only moving part is the hard disc and it is user replaceable, so that is good. One would think the other components would go beyond 5 years?
post #3 of 735 Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
u can get the dtvpal at kmart.com for $300

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...&prop17=DTVPAL
post #4 of 735 Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I saw the Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR today at Fry's Electronics for $369. They had several on an end aisle display.
post #5 of 735 Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I saw the Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR today at Fry's Electronics for $369. They had several on an end aisle display.

I saw some at Fry's on Renton, WA today. I'd never heard of this unit until today but I'd heard of Channel Master only because of their digital converter boxes.
post #6 of 735 Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
http://www.frys.com/product/6147839

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7 of 735 Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The ad from K-Mart is almost a year old.
I ordered one from Crutchfield.com for $350. with free shipping.
post #8 of 735 Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I rec'd the Channel Master 7000PAL today and I can't get it to work. The power button stays green all the time except when I unplug it. The remote won't turn it off. I also can't get anything on the screen. I think it's DOA. I'm using it with an Anthem D2 av processor going to a JVC projector. Maybe it's not meant to be used with a receiver or an av processor? Anyone have any thoughts?
Ken
post #9 of 735 Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Ken--

I just picked up my CM 7000 tonight and plugged it in. The very same issue occurred with my unit. I double-checked my flatscreen settings and it should work. It's locked ON (green button) permanently and will not respond to the remote. Strange that Channel Master didn't insist on better quality control for these units. Oh well, I had to sent my first LG3410A back as well--it had no firmware loaded at all.

I suspect this could be the same thing. There's certainly no start-up screen and no indication that the unit senses either the remote or an over-the-air signal. Back it goes and so it goes with these OTA DVRs...

---Mike
post #10 of 735 Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpls Mike View Post

Ken--

I just picked up my CM 7000 tonight and plugged it in. The very same issue occurred with my unit. I double-checked my flatscreen settings and it should work. It's locked ON (green button) permanently and will not respond to the remote. Strange that Channel Master didn't insist on better quality control for these units. Oh well, I had to sent my first LG3410A back as well--it had no firmware loaded at all.

I suspect this could be the same thing. There's certainly no start-up screen and no indication that the unit senses either the remote or an over-the-air signal. Back it goes and so it goes with these OTA DVRs...

---Mike

I had this CM also. Reacted same as yours. Is there a card in the front slot. Mine was missing this. Got full refund from Amazon. Now got dish dtrpaldvr and no problems. The dish had card in it. Maybe that is all what is wrong. paid 200 at sears in naples FL. Good luck
post #11 of 735 Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some experimenting and found out that the CM won't work if going thru a Receiver, Processor, etc. I called CM tech support and they confirmed this. I ran the CM straight to my projector and it worked flawlessly. I should point out that I only got video and no audio, since the proj. has no audio hookups.
The CM is only meant to go straight to a tv with a pair of audio cables.
When I had the video on my proj. I set all the menus and then the green power button worked, I'm not sure why, but it did.
I sent my CM back to Crutchfield since I wanted to watch tv in my home theater and went back to my Samsung 260. I thought the Sammy was dead but I found out that I had set 1 thing wrong in my Anthem D2.

Ken
post #12 of 735 Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Wanab--

Thanks for the tip on the missing memory card. That is indeed what was wrong. I took it back to a major retailer I used (for free shipping) and went through quite a hassle getting a refund. The customer service folk didn't know what a DVR was, needed someone to come from another dept. to confirm that all the parts were there, and then held up the refund until they could find a valid CPU number.

I'm not sure if I'm going to order another. I'm starting to lean toward the DTVPal. If Channel Master can't do QC any better than this, well...

--Mike
post #13 of 735 Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

I did some experimenting and found out that the CM won't work if going thru a Receiver, Processor, etc. I called CM tech support and they confirmed this. I ran the CM straight to my projector and it worked flawlessly. I should point out that I only got video and no audio, since the proj. has no audio hookups.
The CM is only meant to go straight to a tv with a pair of audio cables.
When I had the video on my proj. I set all the menus and then the green power button worked, I'm not sure why, but it did.
I sent my CM back to Crutchfield since I wanted to watch tv in my home theater and went back to my Samsung 260. I thought the Sammy was dead but I found out that I had set 1 thing wrong in my Anthem D2.

Ken

I'm trying to figure out what difference it would make to the CM. If it outputs through the HDMI port and goes to an AV receiver, the receiver is just going to output back video to one's tv and pass sound to the speakers, what electronic conundrum could be involved to mess things up? It couldn't be too many current tvs that have 5.1 surround built in and part of the whole hidef experience is the expanded sound. Seems like a major gaff to me. I was about to get one until this and now I'd like to find out for sure, Will the TVpal/CM7000 output to an AV receiver properly? Or was this an unique user issue? If I oversimplified things I apologize.

Keith
post #14 of 735 Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM

>>How do I connect the DTVPal DVR to my TV and surround system?

The DTVPal DVR supports both HD and non-HD displays. It outputs full high-definition through component and HDMI, and it downconverts HD channels through coax and composite for those with older TVs.

If you have a HDTV or a 480p EDTV:

Connect the DTVPal DVR to your display with component or HDMI. HDMI carries both audio and video. If you use component for video, you'll also need to connect the analog stereo outputs (red and white RCAs) to your TV for sound.

If you don't have a HDTV or 480p EDTV:

Use the composite or coax output from the DTVPal DVR. For the best picture and sound on older TVs, use composite video (yellow RCA) and the analog stereo outputs (red and white RCAs).

If you have an A/V receiver or surround system:

Connect the digital audio output (optical or HDMI) from the DTVPal DVR directly to your receiver or surround system. In most cases, you will only get 5.1 surround sound from the DTVPal DVR if it is connected directly to your surround system.

Note the DTVPal DVR does not have s-video, and its component output can only be used on TVs that support 480p, 720p, or 1080i
. <<br />
Well, I think I answered my oun question.

Keith
post #15 of 735 Old 06-20-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Keith,
I stated previously that I called CM tech support and they said it wouldn't work going through a receiver. I'm not sure why though.
In the manual for the CM it never mentions a receiver or a sound system. It only says to hook it up to a tv and stereo sound from the tv.
Ken
post #16 of 735 Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #17 of 735 Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am guessing that you could connect the CM 7000 through an AV receiver if you used the component output and 5.1 optical instead of the HDMI. The component and 5.1 optical do not use any handshaking that the HDMI requires.

Rick R
post #18 of 735 Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

I am guessing that you could connect the CM 7000 through an AV receiver if you used the component output and 5.1 optical instead of the HDMI. The component and 5.1 optical do not use any handshaking that the HDMI requires.

Rick R

Good guess, that is exactly how I use one of my DTVPal units and it works fine.

Dave
post #19 of 735 Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Well I located a Sears DTV Pal special, bought it and hooked it up via HDMI through my Pio receiver and everything works flawlessly. It's not the most extreme razor sharp picture but that could be from any number of things. All in all I am very pleased with the performance. Didn't realize how much I missed having a "VCR". It is slick and easy to use and free.

Keith
post #20 of 735 Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Got my second CM 7000 PAL and hooked it up. Success! It worked flawlessly and downloaded the TV Guide info within seconds. I find the image is a little less sharp and contrasty than my old LST 3410A, but it compensates by providing a little more recording storage, and I really like having the TV Guide info back, being able to watch and record or record two shows simultaneously.

I'm going to tweak the settings on my HC-5500 to see how to bring back the image 'pop' I had with the LST-3410A; that older unit had a DVI port rather than an HDMI port. I wonder if DVI was the right way to go after all?
post #21 of 735 Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Got my second CM 7000 PAL and hooked it up. Success! It worked flawlessly and downloaded the TV Guide info within seconds. I find the image is a little less sharp and contrasty than my old LST 3410A, but it compensates by providing a little more recording storage, and I really like having the TV Guide info back, being able to watch and record or record two shows simultaneously.

I'm going to tweak the settings on my HC-5500 to see how to bring back the image 'pop' I had with the LST-3410A; that older unit had a DVI port rather than an HDMI port. I wonder if DVI was the right way to go after all?

Mike, I'm sure like me, everyone in the MPLS/ST.PAUL viewing area want to know if you are getting a full 8 days TVGOS on all the local channels. Specifically I'd like to know if you are getting Ch. 9 beyond 24 hrs.

Thanks
post #22 of 735 Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM

I have a few questions to which I cannot find answers. Can anyone help?

1. Does the firmware on the CM unit provide any new "must-have" functions compared to the Dish model? If so, has anyone attempted to crossflash the Dish unit so as to make it a CM version?

2. The video review that I watched featuring the CM unit has a silver remote. Is the remote black as shown in pictures, or is it silver?

3. I read another person's comments that the CM unit does not drop audio while experiencing poor picture quality (during low signal moments). Is this true? My Dish unit will experience intermittent audio loss along with video loss during low signal moments.
post #23 of 735 Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

Mike, I'm sure like me, everyone in the MPLS/ST.PAUL viewing area want to know if you are getting a full 8 days TVGOS on all the local channels. Specifically I'd like to know if you are getting Ch. 9 beyond 24 hrs.

Thanks

Funny you should mention it. I ran upstairs to check and I do get the full eight days on all channels EXCEPT 9-1 and 9-2. Strange, I hadn't noticed that before...
post #24 of 735 Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I wonder also if the component input looks better/worse? Yeah, I noticed the extrordinary pop was gone too. My wife even noticed and she's like ...hmmm well. After a day or two it's not easily noticed and the bonus of having a well functioning TVGuide and recorder helps tremendously. As a matter of fact I have been forgetting to use the recorder after being so long without one.

Keith
post #25 of 735 Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DVI video & HDMI video are technically one and the same. What you are probably noticing is a difference between the output of the two different units, which can happen.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #26 of 735 Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
From the DISH DTVPAL page...

... the setting we are talking about is:

MENU->Setup->Updates

If you view HELP you see "Choose a daily time to download the program guide information"

When that option was enabled my Pal was rebooting every morning around 4 AM. ( No -- I wasn't up to see it!!)

Does anyone know if the CM7000PAL displays the same help message and exibit the same behavior?
post #27 of 735 Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Notice the address of Channel Master: Tempe Arizona. No more South Carolina which was their main manufacturing facility.
Ever since Andrew unloaded CM to this yuppie outfit: PTC in 2000, they butchered the existing companies products, outsourcing to China and just retained the name to sell crap, rip-off imports starting with the 4228.

Why a satellite service tried to sell a OTA DVR is beyond me in the first place.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #28 of 735 Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

From the DISH DTVPAL page...

... the setting we are talking about is:

MENU->Setup->Updates

If you view HELP you see "Choose a daily time to download the program guide information"

When that option was enabled my Pal was rebooting every morning around 4 AM. ( No -- I wasn't up to see it!!)

Does anyone know if the CM7000PAL displays the same help message and exibit the same behavior?

Yes it does

I just bought one of these this week I like it

Got a question though I keep reading a post where a person discusses the pros and cons of this system.....it states or appears to state that it is possible to start a recording on a station that you are watching and get the entire program (I assume from the beginning)

Is this true and if it is how do you do it?
post #29 of 735 Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've never tried it -- but you should be able to press RECORD then choose options. Remember the PAL starts recording (buffering) as soon as you select a channel --- so you must have been on that channel since the program started.
post #30 of 735 Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

I've never tried it -- but you should be able to press RECORD then choose options. Remember the PAL starts recording (buffering) as soon as you select a channel --- so you must have been on that channel since the program started.

It works that way its good if you just decide to record it and go watch something else or just need to leave and want that program recorded

Haven't seen anyone post what version of software the units are running

I'm showing F400TALD-N for software and 1010TALD for bootstrap just assuming its the latest because at cm's webpage shows no updates available as far as usb downloads concerned

Second week and still loving it
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page