post #181 of 240 Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman6183 View Post

I have a question about setting up Whole Home DVR in unsupported mode. What I would like to do is connect my H21 to a router in the basement via ethernet. My HR21 would be connected to an AirPort Extreme via ethernet, the AirPort Extreme would be connected to the router in the basement via ethernet. Is this going to give me the connectivity I need or do both DirecTV boxes need to be connected directly to the router, or directly to the AirPort Extreme? Thanks.

Seems like I've read this before http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...25#post2889825

Wireless hasn't always turn in the best performance for streaming HD.

A.K.A. VOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 240 Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Actually, the way I read it is he is going to be wired between his airport extreme and his other router in the basement. If that is the case then it should work fine. If he is going wireless from his airport extreme to the router in the basement, then I agree he will most likely have issues. I'm assuming the airport extreme is just acting as a wireless access point and switch, and he has the router functions turned off. Otherwise if he hooks two routers up to each other I believe that can cause issues.
post #183 of 240 Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Actually, the way I read it is he is going to be wired between his airport extreme and his other router in the basement. If that is the case then it should work fine. If he is going wireless from his airport extreme to the router in the basement, then I agree he will most likely have issues. I'm assuming the airport extreme is just acting as a wireless access point and switch, and he has the router functions turned off. Otherwise if he hooks two routers up to each other I believe that can cause issues.

Here's the chain of command, the cable for internet comes into the house to the modem, it would then go to the wire router I have. From there, one wire goes straight to the H21 receiver, the other goes to the AirPort Extreme IN, and from the AirPort Extreme OUT a cable goes to the HR21. From posting this question on DBS Talk, it seems this will not work, that both boxes would have to connected to the same device, with nothing in between, which isn't something I can, or am willing to do.
post #184 of 240 Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM

I have 2 HR21's that have ethernet connection. I have a SWM 8. Technical support was nice enough to activate the whole home dvr. I don't have deca filters or adapters anywhere. The system works perfectly. Now I am going to be adding a new receiver. If they send me the HR24 as my new receiver I understand you are not supposed to connect it via ethernet. I read that in the receiver manual "Never connect an Ethernet cable to an HR24 or H24 receiver with Whole-Home DVR service; this will disable the Whole-Home
network and disable playlist sharing."

So my question is do I just need to connect the new HR24 via coax and they will all work together (since the deca adapter is built in)? or will I need to get deca adapters for my hr 21's so they are all on the same deca network? Also I don't know if I would need the deca router package or not? If it matters each of my HR 21's have splitters immediately behind the coax input with 2 lines coming into the 2 coax inputs.

I would really appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
post #185 of 240 Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancho208 View Post

I have 2 HR21's that have ethernet connection. I have a SWM 8. Technical support was nice enough to activate the whole home dvr. I don't have deca filters or adapters anywhere. The system works perfectly. Now I am going to be adding a new receiver. If they send me the HR24 as my new receiver I understand you are not supposed to connect it via ethernet. I read that in the receiver manual "Never connect an Ethernet cable to an HR24 or H24 receiver with Whole-Home DVR service; this will disable the Whole-Home

So my question is do I just need to connect the new HR24 via coax and they will all work together (since the deca adapter is built in)? or will I need to get deca adapters for my hr 21's so they are all on the same deca network? Also I don't know if I would need the deca router package or not? If it matters each of my HR 21's have splitters immediately behind the coax input with 2 lines coming into the 2 coax inputs.

You can hook your new HR24 up over ethernet just like your other receivers. The reason it states that in the manual is because the only supported Whole Home DVR setup is over coax. And if you have a supported Whole Home DVR setup with an HR24 and then hook up an ethernet cable to it, it will cause the receiver to lose it's connection to the DECA network and it will stop working with Whole Home DVR. So they put that info in the manual to try to stop people from thinking they can just hook up an ethernet cable to the HR24 to get internet access on it.

Since you are running a non-supported Whole Home DVR system over ethernet you can hook up the HR24 just like you other receivers and it will work just fine.
post #186 of 240 Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancho208 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

You can hook your new HR24 up over ethernet just like your other receivers. The reason it states that in the manual is because the only supported Whole Home DVR setup is over coax. And if you have a supported Whole Home DVR setup with an HR24 and then hook up an ethernet cable to it, it will cause the receiver to lose it's connection to the DECA network and it will stop working with Whole Home DVR. So they put that info in the manual to try to stop people from thinking they can just hook up an ethernet cable to the HR24 to get internet access on it.

Since you are running a non-supported Whole Home DVR system over ethernet you can hook up the HR24 just like you other receivers and it will work just fine.

"DéjÃ* vu" http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...10#post2896810

A.K.A. VOS
post #187 of 240 Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a question that has a simple answer, I'm sure, but let me give the background to my setup for clarification...

We switched over to DirecTV back in January. We are set up with Whole House and 2 HR24s. When the installer was here, I was outside with him when he opened up the cable box on the side of the house. It was set up with the incoming line going into a 4-way splitter. With TWC, we had one line going to the cable box in the den, one going to a cable ready TV and the third line for cable internet that went to the bedroom. He set up the DirecTV with the first line going to the DVR in the den, line 2 going to the DVR by the other TV and the third line for the DECA box's access in the bedroom (so it could be connected to DSL via the router there).

Now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch some of the saved content in the TV-less bedroom. I originally considered using the DIRECTV2PC software to watch on my PC. Then, I saw some Black Friday sale prices on DirecTV receivers and wondered if I could get one of them and hook it to line 3 in the bedroom, using a 2-way splitter to get the signal to both the D* HD receiver and the DECA box.

Is that possible? Recommended? Are there problems with what I'm trying to do? Do I need to give more info to clarify the situation?

Thanks in advance for any help. And Happy Thanksgiving to all.
post #188 of 240 Old 11-24-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post

I have a question that has a simple answer, I'm sure, but let me give the background to my setup for clarification...

We switched over to DirecTV back in January. We are set up with Whole House and 2 HR24s. When the installer was here, I was outside with him when he opened up the cable box on the side of the house. It was set up with the incoming line going into a 4-way splitter. With TWC, we had one line going to the cable box in the den, one going to a cable ready TV and the third line for cable internet that went to the bedroom. He set up the DirecTV with the first line going to the DVR in the den, line 2 going to the DVR by the other TV and the third line for the DECA box's access in the bedroom (so it could be connected to DSL via the router there).

Now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch some of the saved content in the TV-less bedroom. I originally considered using the DIRECTV2PC software to watch on my PC. Then, I saw some Black Friday sale prices on DirecTV receivers and wondered if I could get one of them and hook it to line 3 in the bedroom, using a 2-way splitter to get the signal to both the D* HD receiver and the DECA box.

Is that possible? Recommended? Are there problems with what I'm trying to do? Do I need to give more info to clarify the situation?

Thanks in advance for any help. And Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yes adding a splitter and feeding both a receiver and the broadband DECA should work.
"Ideally" the splitter would be a DirecTV approved green labeled splitter, "but" since the two boxes will be very close, a splitter that is rated for 5-2000 MHz, while not ideal, should also work.
The added receiver needs to be a 24 or 25, since these have the DECA internal.

A.K.A. VOS
post #189 of 240 Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM

I have an H24 and 3 H25 IRD's with whole home service. Seems if I unpluged the ethernet cable from the DECA which goes to my router and internet I lose access to the DVR from the H25's. Plug it back in and it will work. I left it plugged in and unplugged the router from the cable modum and it still works. ??? What gives? It is not connected to the internet, just to the router. Is it happy with the routers address? If the setup uses the coax to access the DVR why do I need the DECA? I know for info and on demand but I don't use that anyhow. Not sure I made this clear as I tend to ramble on.
post #190 of 240 Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suregrip View Post

I have an H24 and 3 H25 IRD's with whole home service. Seems if I unpluged the ethernet cable from the DECA which goes to my router and internet I lose access to the DVR from the H25's. Plug it back in and it will work. I left it plugged in and unplugged the router from the cable modum and it still works. ??? What gives? It is not connected to the internet, just to the router. Is it happy with the routers address? If the setup uses the coax to access the DVR why do I need the DECA? I know for info and on demand but I don't use that anyhow. Not sure I made this clear as I tend to ramble on.

MRV works fine without internet access.
Now had you rebooted all the receivers when you unplugged the cable between the DECA and the router, the receivers would have changed their IP addresses to ones starting with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, which are their internal IPs.
I'm guessing your "H24" is really a HR24, so all your receivers have internal DECAs, which just leaves the BB DECA to bridge to your home network.

A.K.A. VOS
post #191 of 240 Old 12-11-2011, 03:06 PM

Sorry..It is HR24. I rebooted two of them as the other is in the basement. So what do I need to do to have whole home and not connected to the internet? I shouldn't need the external decca, correct? Thanks
post #192 of 240 Old 12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suregrip View Post

So what do I need to do to have whole home and not connected to the internet? I shouldn't need the external decca, correct? Thanks

Not sure why you don't want internet, but disconnect the BB DECA [and terminated the coax], then reset networking defaults and reboot each receiver.
After rebooting, check the system info screen and check the IP address and also if it shows "coax connected".
169.xxx with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 should be shown.

A.K.A. VOS
post #193 of 240 Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I have a vacation home out of state in a very rural area with no internet service. Want to make sure I can use the DVR and one H25 while I'm there. Thanks for your help.
post #194 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I now have upgraded to ONE HR-34 and will have an HR-24 in the bedroom.

s=So I will be good to go for "whole home dvr", equipment-wise, correct?

The D* CSR told me that I couldn't add whole home installation to my Friday appt, it woould have to re-scheduled or added at a later date...simple as that.

What kind of time does it take to activate it if indeed all I need is the HR 34 and a 24 which, as I understand, already has the DECA built-in?

Both boxes are simply replacing HR-22's in either room.

thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #195 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I now have upgraded to ONE HR-34 and will have an HR-24 in the bedroom.

s=So I will be good to go for "whole home dvr", equipment-wise, correct?

The D* CSR told me that I couldn't add whole home installation to my Friday appt, it woould have to re-scheduled or added at a later date...simple as that.

What kind of time does it take to activate it if indeed all I need is the HR 34 and a 24 which, as I understand, already has the DECA built-in?

Both boxes are simply replacing HR-22's in either room.

thanks,
James

The HR34 & HR24 are "enough" to get whole home DVR activated. You have a SWiM system, or the HR34 won't work, leaving only whether you have the green labeled splitters or not.
With these two DVRs activated on your account, a phone call or going online "should be" simple to activate/add.

A.K.A. VOS
post #196 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

did you mean "you have to have a SWiM system or the HR 34 won't work"?

I don't recall seeing any green-labeled splitters.

If the process is so straightforward (once I have the proper equipment), I wonder why she told me I'd have to re-schedule or schedule another appt?

I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

James

post #197 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

did you mean "you have to have a SWiM system or the HR 34 won't work"?

I don't recall seeing any green splitters.

If the process is so straightforward (once I have the proper equipment), I wonder why she told me I'd have to re-schedule or schedule another appt?

I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

James

If you can figure out how to connect 5 coax to the HR34, then "you might not" need a SWiM, but in reality, it only works on a SWiM system.
The green labeled splitters have been modified to work with DECA, so they're "kind of" a must.
Maybe a little "discussion" with the installer will help, and while you're/he's at it get the broadband DECA to connect to your home network too.

A.K.A. VOS
post #198 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha ha, I'll just be sure to have this page opened on my laptop when the tech arrives as most of this is over my head when it comes to networking D* STB's.

I thought both the HR 34 and 24 contained proprietary "wireless" components that negated the need for coax/ethernet connection to the boxes outside of the HR 34...shows you what I know.

So then, if I indeed do not have the green splitters I will likely need them too, and, assuming that it will split off the incoming cable for my living room HR-24, I'm going to need to punch through my living room wall into my bedroom- or does the splitter break-off ealrier and connect the existing cables outside of the house?

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's obvious that I do not possess a firm handle on how this works.

thanks.

James

post #199 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha ha, I'll just be sure to have this page opened on my laptop when the tech arrives as most of this is over my head when it comes to networking D* STB's.

I thought both the HR 34 and 24 contained proprietary "wireless" components that negated the need for coax/ethernet connection to the boxes outside of the HR 34...shows you what I know.

So then, if I indeed do not have the green splitters I will likely need them too, and, assuming that it will split off the incoming cable for my living room HR-24, I'm going to need to punch through my living room wall into my bedroom- or does the splitter break-off ealrier and connect the existing cables outside of the house?

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's obvious that I do not possess a firm handle on how this works.

thanks.

James

Now you're making me ha ha
If you only will have a HR24 & HR34, "then" a SWiM dish/LNB with one coax will come down to a splitter and a drop to each room for the DVRs.
This needs to have a PI [power inserter] for power.
Guess it might help to know/check if the current DVR has two or one coax connected. If one and both tuners work, then you have a SWiM.
There isn't any "wireless" within the receivers, but there is the internal DECA, which uses the coax for networking. This is where you might want to get a broadband DECA [another device] that bridges from the coax to your router/home network for internet access and some other things.

This is a bit dated but "something like this":

A.K.A. VOS
post #200 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks oldschool, I called D* and now have a 100% understanding- including how I need to integrate yet another component to continue to enjoy on demand content as SWiM wipes that out, lol.

Thing is, the tech told me that I will NOT be getting an HR-34 as those are absolutely limited to "real" new customers so I should forget about it. Whatever at this point.

Now my order for two HR24's is supposedly on hold until the tech has two of them. Then the tech told me that "most" new upgrades have them automatically install a splitter/swim so then Ill be ready for whole home and just have to add the wireless adapter to regain my on demand/internet content.

This sound about right?

James

post #201 of 240 Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks oldschool, I called D* and now have a 100% understanding- including how I need to integrate yet another component to continue to enjoy on demand content as SWiM wipes that out, lol.

Thing is, the tech told me that I will NOT be getting an HR-34 as those are absolutely limited to "real" new customers so I should forget about it. Whatever at this point.

Now my order for two HR24's is supposedly on hold until the tech has two of them. Then the tech told me that "most" new upgrades have them automatically install a splitter/swim so then Ill be ready for whole home and just have to add the wireless adapter to regain my on demand/internet content.

This sound about right?

James

Yep, most of it sounds right. The HR34 isn't out in national release yet. Could still be a couple of months off.

A.K.A. VOS
post #202 of 240 Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
I think DirecTV's new five tuner DVRs have been either delayed or limited to certain cities. Also, other details in the stories may change. The new DirectTV TiVo does not work with DirecTV's Whole House service. DirecTV's Whole House DVR service is more advanced than Comcast's Whole House DVR service since you can have more than one DVR record TV shows.

DIRECTTV/TiVo THR22 Overview

http://www.engadget.com/photos/directivo-specs/#4659912

DirecTV's new five tuner HR34 Home Media Center DVR ready to launch December 8th?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/02/d...-ready-to-lau/

DIRECTV Finally Launches TiVo HD DVR

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivod120911.htm

DIRECTV/TiVo HD DVR: Coming Thursday

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtivo120611.htm

Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #203 of 240 Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If you'd read anything over on DBSTalk.com you might have known this before.

Swami & engadget are a bit behind the curve when it comes to DirecTV.

A.K.A. VOS
post #204 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM

My D* installation yesterday was a disaster. Was supposed to get an HR-34 Whole Home Media Center HD DVR (I am a NEW customer).

The tech installed and activated an HR25 DVR and 4 H25 RCVR's. When I found out I refused to sign the paperwork. He closed out the work order anyway and told me to call customer service.

Where it gets absurd is that I spent 3 hours last night on the phone with several different techs and supervisors being told that since my service was 'ON' I am an existing customer and ineligible for an HR34!!!

They verified that during the recorded phone call I was told I was getting the HR34 yet the CSR ordered the HR25 by mistake. Awaiting a resolution from CORPORATE since no one else seems able to resolve my issue, LOL!!!!

Anyway, a few questions.........

Does the HR34 require 4 coax's from the dish into the house? (I currently have only two but can run two additional).

The tech said he couldn't hardwire my DECA even though I have an ethernet switch next to the DVR, he connected a wifi DECA, said it was the only way whole-house would work. Is this correct?
post #205 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy_darryl View Post

My D* installation yesterday was a disaster. Was supposed to get an HR-34 Whole Home Media Center HD DVR (I am a NEW customer).

The tech installed and activated an HR25 DVR and 4 H25 RCVR's. When I found out I refused to sign the paperwork. He closed out the work order anyway and told me to call customer service.

Where it gets absurd is that I spent 3 hours last night on the phone with several different techs and supervisors being told that since my service was 'ON' I am an existing customer and ineligible for an HR34!!!

They verified that during the recorded phone call I was told I was getting the HR34 yet the CSR ordered the HR25 by mistake. Awaiting a resolution from CORPORATE since no one else seems able to resolve my issue, LOL!!!!

Anyway, a few questions.........

Does the HR34 require 4 coax's from the dish into the house? (I currently have only two but can run two additional).

The tech said he couldn't hardwire my DECA even though I have an ethernet switch next to the DVR, he connected a wifi DECA, said it was the only way whole-house would work. Is this correct?

1) there isn't an HR25, so you must have an HR24
2) being a holiday, you may not be talking to "the cream of the crop". Monday/Tuesday you may find better help.

Even if you have a wifi DECA, it can be hardwired since it has an ethernet jack. You'll need to disable the wifi before using ethernet or a double connection will lockup your network.
The HR34 is a single wire receiver [only], so you should have a SWiM system, which is also needed for DECA.

A.K.A. VOS
post #206 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

1) there isn't an HR25, so you must have an HR24
2) being a holiday, you may not be talking to "the cream of the crop". Monday/Tuesday you may find better help.

Even if you have a wifi DECA, it can be hardwired since it has an ethernet jack. You'll need to disable the wifi before using ethernet or a double connection will lockup your network.
The HR34 is a single wire receiver [only], so you should have a SWiM system, which is also needed for DECA.

Yes, must have been HR24 and H25's.

So how many coax's need to run from my dish and into the SWiM 16? They say I have to have 4 coax's running into my house from the dish?

Still unclear on the ethernet? I can just hardwire my HR34 (assuming I get one) straight to my ethernet switch? (Built-in DECA?)

And disable wifi before using ethernet??????? Sorry, confused yet again.
post #207 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, must have been HR24 and H25's.

So how many coax's need to run from my dish and into the SWiM 16? They say I have to have 4 coax's running into my house from the dish?

Still unclear on the ethernet? I can just hardwire my HR34 (assuming I get one) straight to my ethernet switch? (Built-in DECA?)

And disable wifi before using ethernet??????? Sorry, confused yet again.

The SWiM-16 needs four coax from the dish. It has two outputs that each can supply/feed eight tuners.
You can hardwire a HR34, but this doesn't disable the internal DECA, which doing this on a HR24 does, so with an active DECA you have a strong 525-575 MHz signal on the coax.
If you already have the wireless CCK connected, if you connect the ethernet port from it to the same router, it locks up the router [network loop].

A.K.A. VOS
post #208 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

The SWiM-16 needs four coax from the dish. It has two outputs that each can supply/feed eight tuners.
You can hardwire a HR34, but this doesn't disable the internal DECA, which doing this on a HR24 does, so with an active DECA you have a strong 525-575 MHz signal on the coax.
If you already have the wireless CCK connected, if you connect the ethernet port from it to the same router, it locks up the router [network loop].

I appreciate your help. I am clear on the coax issue.

They are supposedly going to redo the DECA if required so what exact ethernet connection should I expect to do it right for an HR34 and 4 H25's, whole-house DVR setup?
post #209 of 240 Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate your help. I am clear on the coax issue.

They are supposedly going to redo the DECA if required so what exact ethernet connection should I expect to do it right for an HR34 and 4 H25's, whole-house DVR setup?

One that works. lol

I would go with the wireless CCK, in wireless or hardwired mode.
I'd skip the HR34 ethernet use because it is using the DECA to work with the H25s, and the CCK for internet.
Some go the other way, with no CCK and use the HR34 ethernet to make the bridge to your home network.

A.K.A. VOS
post #210 of 240 Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Just had the Whole Home DVR installed, The technician put in a bad SWM switch and left my Netgear wireless adapters hooked up to the DVR's claiming that I still need those for on demand (that is how I used to get it before the install). Doesn't this whole home thing do that anyways?
Right after he left the receivers stopped communicating and my in home network went down. I went to the store and bought a new router thinking that might be the problem and amazingly still didn't work. Disconnected all receivers from my home network and everything with my home network is fine however the receivers are still not talking to each other. Now I have to wait for someone to come back to get me a new SWM to make it work. THIS WAS A PAIN.... They need to get their crap together. Again, do I need the in house network for on-demand or is it all done through their equipment?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page