post #211 of 240 Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfogarasi View Post

Just had the Whole Home DVR installed, The technician put in a bad SWM switch and left my Netgear wireless adapters hooked up to the DVR's claiming that I still need those for on demand (that is how I used to get it before the install). Doesn't this whole home thing do that anyways?
Right after he left the receivers stopped communicating and my in home network went down. I went to the store and bought a new router thinking that might be the problem and amazingly still didn't work. Disconnected all receivers from my home network and everything with my home network is fine however the receivers are still not talking to each other. Now I have to wait for someone to come back to get me a new SWM to make it work. THIS WAS A PAIN.... They need to get their crap together. Again, do I need the in house network for on-demand or is it all done through their equipment?

While you haven't given much information about what you have,
When the Connected Home networking is setup [correctly] all the receivers are networked through the coax, and there is another BB DECA that bridges the coax network to your home network, for internet access.

A.K.A. VOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 240 Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Liked: 10
I have H25s. If all I want is access to their HTTP servers for tuning info and channel changing, can I ignore D*tv's DECA gear and just buy a standard issue MOCA transceiver to bridge the coax plant to ethernet and get packets to/from the receivers?

I once had D*tv and HPNA on the same coax plant, but it behaved oddly, and D*tv has since dumped HPNA.

EDIT: Further research suggests the answer is no—the MoCa bridges available through retail channels are "high-RF" (upper band) devices. D*tv uses a different "mid-RF" version of MoCa, to avoid conflicting with the DBS signaling. It seems the only compatible hardware is the D*tv branded "DECA."
post #213 of 240 Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innatetech View Post

I have H25s. If all I want is access to their HTTP servers for tuning info and channel changing, can I ignore D*tv's DECA gear and just buy a standard issue MOCA transceiver to bridge the coax plant to ethernet and get packets to/from the receivers?

I once had D*tv and HPNA on the same coax plant, but it behaved oddly, and D*tv has since dumped HPNA.

EDIT: Further research suggests the answer is nothe MoCa bridges available through retail channels are "high-RF" (upper band) devices. D*tv uses a different "mid-RF" version of MoCa, to avoid conflicting with the DBS signaling. It seems the only compatible hardware is the D*tv branded "DECA."

MoCA actually comes in several "flavors", or frequencies, and DirecTV's DECA uses the 525-575 MHz "flavor".

A.K.A. VOS
post #214 of 240 Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The H25s already have DECA built into them, so it would be silly to buy MOCA adapters for them even if it would work. All you need to do is get one DECA broadband adapter and use it to bridge your DECA and home Ethernet networks.

Be aware though IP control is getting locked down more and more on the DirecTV receivers, so I wouldn't count on being able to use it to do too much.
post #215 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Right, I meant using a non D*tv branded Actiontec MOCA bridge rather than buying D*tv's DECA. Not for the receivers, but to attach to the LAN. But you can't get a midband unit non-branded so far as I can tell. Nor can I find any interface to flash the generic units--I don't do JTAG header stuff. Plus you'd need a DECA firmware dump. (I assume Actiontec's MOCA box is more or less the same as their industry-abandoned HPNA coax bridges, which I have, and that the DECA is no different.)

Since D*tv outright refused to sell me a DECA w/o a DVR on my account, despite me pitching a fit about being deprived of features I'd have in-box if the local contractor had delivered H24s, I just broke down and bought one from an external supplier. As I had to do to get the miniDIN component out cables. This last go round had be about an inch from canceling my service after many years...D*tv CS is incredibly shortsighted.

So I'll get the bridge installed shortly and we'll see what I can do with it.
post #216 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM

I just had DirecTV out here last Saturday to hook up the Whole Home DVR (along with the wireless Cinema connection kit) and I can access On Demand on the main DVR in the living room but NOT on the H25's in the bedrooms. Is this normal? All other functions work fine including being able to use the DirecVR app on my iPhone to control the units in all rooms. I was really hoping to be able to use On Demand in the bedrooms as well. :-/
post #217 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

I just had DirecTV out here last Saturday to hook up the Whole Home DVR (along with the wireless Cinema connection kit) and I can access On Demand on the main DVR in the living room but NOT on the H25's in the bedrooms. Is this normal? All other functions work fine including being able to use the DirecVR app on my iPhone to control the units in all rooms. I was really hoping to be able to use On Demand in the bedrooms as well. :-/

DIRECTV on Demand only works with HD DVR's. You can do the download on the HD DVR and them once it's there use WHDVR to watch it on the H25's.
post #218 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Well, DECA works as expected, as does the HTTP management server (as specified by the beta docs.)

/myth/ctl$ sudo wget http://192.168.1.31:8080/tv/getProgInfo?major=356
[sudo] password for ___:
--2012-01-12 12:38:22-- http://192.168.1.31:8080/tv/getProgInfo?major=356
Connecting to 192.168.1.31:8080... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK.
Length: 429 [application/json]
Saving to: `getProgInfo?major=356'

100%[=============================>] 429 --.-K/s in 0s

2012-01-12 12:38:22 (65.1 MB/s) - `getProgInfo?major=356' saved [429/429]

/myth/ctl$ cat getProgInfo\\?major\\=356
{
"callsign": "mnbcHD",
"duration": 3600,
"isOffAir": false,
"isPclocked": 3,
"isPpv": false,
"isRecording": false,
"isVod": false,
"major": 356,
"minor": 65535,
"programId": "7272763",
"rating": "No Rating",
"startTime": 1326398400,
"stationId": 5601803,
"status": {
"code": 200,
"commandResult": 0,
"msg": "OK.",
"query": "/tv/getProgInfo?major=356"
},
"title": "Martin Bashir"

Tuning works fine as well.

/myth/ctl$ wget http://192.168.1.30:8080/tv/tune?major=356
--2012-01-12 12:38:03-- http://192.168.1.30:8080/tv/tune?major=356
Connecting to 192.168.1.30:8080... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK.

Interestingly, this probably means that someone enterprising enough could write a plugin for mythfilldatabase to populate the schedule tables by polling the D*tv channel guide through a receiver supporting this interface. (GetProgInfo will take a time offset as an argument.)
post #219 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskR View Post

It works!!! No swm, no Deca, just 2 compatible DVR's, and Ethernet cable connecting them through my switches and routers. Then follow the directions on the DBS forum and fill out the on-line form and 24 hours later it works. It is very cool too!

This sounds like what I want to do, but one thing I'm still unclear about. In my case I already have the whole home feature and am paying the $3/mo. for it. It sounds like in most of these posts that the whole home or MRV (are these the same thing?) are being added at the same time.

As I already have whole home, I have in my mind (probably incorrectly) that I can simply remove the DECA boxes, connect the incoming cables directly to my receivers, plug the etherent jacks into my home network with CAT5 cables and reboot everything to add internet access and retain the whole home feature. Do I still need to call or email DirecTV for anything or will this work as I described above?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
Panasonic TC-P60S60, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic DMP-BD86, Polk PSW-10 sub, Klipsch flool standing (front) and surround speakers, speaker factory kit center speaker, Toshiba DVD-VHS dubbing player/recorder, Apple TV, Sony turntable, Direct TV DVR
post #220 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post

This sounds like what I want to do, but one thing I'm still unclear about. In my case I already have the whole home feature and am paying the $3/mo. for it. It sounds like in most of these posts that the whole home or MRV (are these the same thing?) are being added at the same time.

As I already have whole home, I have in my mind (probably incorrectly) that I can simply remove the DECA boxes, connect the incoming cables directly to my receivers, plug the etherent jacks into my home network with CAT5 cables and reboot everything to add internet access and retain the whole home feature. Do I still need to call or email DirecTV for anything or will this work as I described above?

Whole Home DVR service is MRV.
If you already have it added, then "you could" shift to ethernet, but there is no good reason to and several why not to. Maybe the biggest being ethernet is unsupported so any problems [which do come up] will become totally your own to resolve.

Most that have gone the ethernet route, have done it simply because they didn't want to pay the upgrade to DECA.
DECA was made for MRV, so you just can't do any better.

A.K.A. VOS
post #221 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Whole Home DVR service is MRV.
If you already have it added, then "you could" shift to ethernet, but there is no good reason to and several why not to. Maybe the biggest being ethernet is unsupported so any problems [which do come up] will become totally your own to resolve.

Most that have gone the ethernet route, have done it simply because they didn't want to pay the upgrade to DECA.
DECA was made for MRV, so you just can't do any better.

Thanks for the reply, the reason I'm interested in doing this is that my receivers are not connected to the internet and several new extras have been added that I cannot access. My receivers seem to be communicating on their own network through the cabeling DirecTV installed and are isolated from the internet.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
Panasonic TC-P60S60, Denon 2112ci, Panasonic DMP-BD86, Polk PSW-10 sub, Klipsch flool standing (front) and surround speakers, speaker factory kit center speaker, Toshiba DVD-VHS dubbing player/recorder, Apple TV, Sony turntable, Direct TV DVR
post #222 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, the reason I'm interested in doing this is that my receivers are not connected to the internet and several new extras have been added that I cannot access. My receivers seem to be communicating on their own nextwork through the cabeling DirecTV installed and are isolated from the internet.

"So" all you're missing si the CCK/BB DECA that is used to bridge to your home network.
There is a self install version that can be as cheap as about $30.

It can be connected like this using WiFi, or an ethernet with the port shown:

or this:

A.K.A. VOS
post #223 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM

^^^ Thanks again, and sorry for being a bit slow with this. Does the CCK/BB DECA provide internet access to both receivers or will I need two of these? If I only need the one, can I connect it to either receiver? I have an HR23 HDDVR and an HD receiver (forget the model #). My wireless signal is not so good where my main HD theater set up is (DVR location) but I have hardwire jacks there, so I don't want/need the wireless there. My other receiver is much closer to my router and it may be feasible to connect the CCK/BB DECA there instead if that would work. Is that DIY kit available from DirecTV at the $30 price?

Thanks again for your patience!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #224 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^ Thanks again, and sorry for being a bit slow with this. It appears the CCK/BB DECA connects to my network via wireless then? Does it provide internet access to both receivers or will I need two of these? If I only need the one, can I connect it to either receiver? I have an HR23 HDDVR and an HD receiver (forget the model #). My wireless signal is not so good where my main HD theater set up is (DVR location) but I have hardwire jacks there, so I don't want/need the wireless there. My other receiver is much closer to my router and it may be feasible to connect the CCK/BB DECA there instead if that would work. Thanks again for your patience!

This self install version can be connected wirelessly, or hardwired.
You'll only need one, since it is part of the DECA network.
It can be located anywhere you have a coax.

A.K.A. VOS
post #225 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

^^^I think I've got it now. Thanks again. Now to order the kit!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #226 of 240 Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^I think I've got it now. Thanks again. Now to order the kit!

So can I now delete your post over on DBSTalk?

A.K.A. VOS
post #227 of 240 Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:

So can I now delete your post over on DBSTalk?

Sure, if you want to

I got the CCK/BB DECA adapter and installed it but got the error that "TV apps was still initializing (301)" for several days. Finally called DirecTV and they told me it was something wrong with my router (bought in '04) and they suggested upgrading the firmware or the router itself, nothing they could do. I tried updating the firmware in my router but that killed it and I couldn't connect anything after that . It's a really old router with only wireless G so it was due for an upgrade anyway. Temporarily I'm using a cheap Belkin router (any router recommendations?), but with it in my network, the apps have started to work - sporadically. They seem to mostly be working on my HR-23 DVR, but only fleetingly on my HR21 where the CCK/BB DECA is actually connected. Typically I see a "services unavailable" message. Resetting to defaults, reconnecting to the internet/network, etc. don't seem to solve it. When I select "start network services" I get either the 301 error again or "services have successfully started, but connection test failed". Repeating that a couple of times I sometimes get they message that everything is working, but when trying to use the TV apps I still get the services unavailable message. I can go downstairs and pull up the apps on my HR23 however.

Not sure this is all worth the effort, frustration and expense at this point!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #228 of 240 Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, if you want to

I got the CCK/BB DECA adapter and installed it but got the error that "TV apps was still initializing (301)" for several days. Finally called DirecTV and they told me it was something wrong with my router (bought in '04) and they suggested upgrading the firmware or the router itself, nothing they could do. I tried updating the firmware in my router but that killed it and I couldn't connect anything after that . It's a really old router with only wireless G so it was due for an upgrade anyway. Temporarily I'm using a cheap Belkin router (any router recommendations?), but with it in my network, the apps have started to work - sporadically. They seem to mostly be working on my HR-23 DVR, but only fleetingly on my HR21 where the CCK/BB DECA is actually connected. Typically I see a "services unavailable" message. Resetting to defaults, reconnecting to the internet/network, etc. don't seem to solve it. When I select "start network services" I get either the 301 error again or "services have successfully started, but connection test failed". Repeating that a couple of times I sometimes get they message that everything is working, but when trying to use the TV apps I still get the services unavailable message. I can go downstairs and pull up the apps on my HR23 however.

Not sure this is all worth the effort, frustration and expense at this point!

Network services are mostly useless.
Some routers handle the port opening needed, while others don't as well.
You can manually select two ports on each receiver, set these to port forwarding in your router, and get network services to work.
AT&T has been supplying me with their 2Wire routers, and with these I no longer use port forwarding, and network services always show the 202 error, but this is when TVApps work here.
301 is an error I do get right after a reboot, but goes away over time.

A.K.A. VOS
post #229 of 240 Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

You can manually select two ports on each receiver, set these to port forwarding in your router, and get network services to work.

I think this was what the tech at DirecTV was trying to tell me but I've no idea how to manually open ports or what port forwarding means.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #230 of 240 Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think this was what the tech at DirecTV was trying to tell me but I've no idea how to manually open ports or what port forwarding means.

You'll need to log into your router and do the port forwarding there.
The ports you want to forward will first be found under the advanced networking in the receiver. It can be a PITA, and may not make any difference, other than getting network services to start, which aren't needed.

A.K.A. VOS
post #231 of 240 Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:

You'll need to log into your router and do the port forwarding there.
The ports you want to forward will first be found under the advanced networking in the receiver. It can be a PITA, and may not make any difference, other than getting network services to start, which aren't needed.

Woohoo! got everything working (whole home and TV Apps) on both receivers! Ended up purchasing a new router (Linksys E3200) which was something I was considering anyway, as my old D-Link was almost 9 years old. My problems seemed to be first with that old router and then with the temporary cheap Belkin N150 (not the enhanced model) which kept loosing the internet signal via wireless so provided only partial and inconsistent functionality - pretty frustrating when you are trying to troubleshoot something else! I also noticed my lap top frequently dropping internet connections with that router when just doing normal browsing, something I did not experience with the old D-Link. I targeted the router for an upgrade at this point.

So far I've not had to go into and play with any of the router port setting on the E3200, and I'm not going to as long as everything is working!

Thanks for all the advice!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #232 of 240 Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woohoo! got everything working (whole home and TV Apps) on both receivers! Ended up purchasing a new router (Linksys E3200) which was something I was considering anyway, as my old D-Link was almost 9 years old. My problems seemed to be first with that old router and then with the temporary cheap Belkin N150 (not the enhanced model) which kept loosing the internet signal via wireless so provided only partial and inconsistent functionality - pretty frustrating when you are trying to troubleshoot something else! I also noticed my lap top frequently dropping internet connections with that router when just doing normal browsing, something I did not experience with the old D-Link. I targeted the router for an upgrade at this point.

So far I've not had to go into and play with any of the router port setting on the E3200, and I'm not going to as long as everything is working!

Thanks for all the advice!

Yep, those two routers have been troublesome for others. Changing firmware [even using one not from the manufacture] has helped, but getting a good router makes it so much easier.

A.K.A. VOS
post #233 of 240 Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Well, after several weeks of everything working fine, the apps will no longer load on my DVR (HR24). Interestingly they work just fine on the other TV with the HD receiver.

What's weird is that on the DVR other network functions such as You-Tube and Pandora work fine. When I press the right arrow button I get the little box that says TV apps loading but that box disappears and the apps column never appears. I am not getting an error message or anything. Whole home sharing is working. I tried setting up the network all over again on the DVR (even resetting to defaults and renaming the receiver again) but it made no difference. I get the confirmation that my receiver is now connected to the internet and my home network but apps still don't work. Any suggestions?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
post #234 of 240 Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Could someone help me please. i just had direct t v install a connection kit so i can access the shows i recorded on my dvr in 2 other rooms. Since they left i have not been able to access the internet on my laptop wirelessly. My internet works on my pc that is connected to my wireless router. If i unplug the direct tv connection device, the laptop can access the internet. Help

thank you
post #235 of 240 Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM

Hi everyone.
First post here. Can anyone tell me the extent to which Whole Home service needs my internet? CSR at Direct tv cannot answer this! Our internet is SLOW (1mps up and down )mad.gif We NEVER use VOD or anything that requires streaming it simply wont work. Downloading any HD content would take days. That said, we can of course get great HD movies and content off the sat. So, if they set up whole home DVR are they just using the coax and the router to spread THEIR signals round the house, or are they going to be trying to pull content using our internet? All we want is to have regular HD TV with dvr in four rooms, do not need VOD Lastly, will the four tv's passing through my router clog IT up, and slow our computers internet down? ( even more LOL)
I still think 4 HD DVR's will be more reliable then one HD DVR spread around to 3 more HD players.
Any help VERY much appreciated.
D1
post #236 of 240 Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood1 View Post

Hi everyone.
First post here. Can anyone tell me the extent to which Whole Home service needs my internet? CSR at Direct tv cannot answer this! Our internet is SLOW (1mps up and down )mad.gif We NEVER use VOD or anything that requires streaming it simply wont work. Downloading any HD content would take days. That said, we can of course get great HD movies and content off the sat. So, if they set up whole home DVR are they just using the coax and the router to spread THEIR signals round the house, or are they going to be trying to pull content using our internet? All we want is to have regular HD TV with dvr in four rooms, do not need VOD Lastly, will the four tv's passing through my router clog IT up, and slow our computers internet down? ( even more LOL)
I still think 4 HD DVR's will be more reliable then one HD DVR spread around to 3 more HD players.
Any help VERY much appreciated.
D1

Whole home doesn't need the internet at all. You should be fine with 4 DVRs but note that each DVR can only schedule programming for itself even though you can watch the recordings anywhere. A non DVR HD unit can schedule recordings anywhere. You could also go on your slow internet and schedule recordings on any DVR from their web site. Hope that helps.
post #237 of 240 Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Ok, so if the whole home system doesn't use the Internet, why do the programs I watch with my hd receivers (streaming off my hmc) lag so often? It's pretty bad. Is there a fix?

Also, I'm thinking about saving some money and downgrading my Internet from 12mbps to 3mbps download. How will this effect my directv watching?
post #238 of 240 Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsucello View Post

Ok, so if the whole home system doesn't use the Internet, why do the programs I watch with my hd receivers (streaming off my hmc) lag so often? It's pretty bad. Is there a fix?
Also, I'm thinking about saving some money and downgrading my Internet from 12mbps to 3mbps download. How will this effect my directv watching?

I think you a internal wiring-splitter issue, I have the HR-34 with 3 HR-700 and when I cue up something that is recorded off the HR-34 on another receiver it only takes 3-seconds to play. A friend Of mine who did my install said he can figure out bad wiring issue's just by the problems customer's have with Whole House...BTW it use's Moca in the 500mhz range I 've been told. So OTA diplexers can be a problem.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #239 of 240 Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Lag over whole home is pretty much always there. After all the IR command has to get sent from the remote, to your local receiver, then you rlocal receiver has to figure out what command you are hitting, and then send that command over the coax network to the other receiver you are watching the programming off of, then the other receiver has to respond to that command and send out the difference in the stream back to the receiver you are watching from. The more that is going on in the network the greater the lag, the slower the receiver response is where you are watching the greater the lag, the slower the response of the receiver that is playing the recording, the longer the lag, etc. If all of your receivers are running well, and you are using DECA then the response time is usually pretty good, but if you have receivers that are lagging, or use a ethernet network or WiFi network between some of the receivers with a bunch of other traffic going on they can slow it down to where the lag can become frustrating.

As far as downgrading your internet speed goes, it won't have any effect at all on DirecTV's Whole Home DVR service. However, it could effect on-demand download speeds if you use DirecTV's on-demand content.
post #240 of 240 Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so, why do the programs I watch with my hd receivers (streaming off my hmc) lag so often? It's pretty bad. Is there a fix?
Can you quantify your lag time?
I [just for grins] started a MRV recording from my HMC to my HR24. I counted up to 7 between pressing play on the remote, to the time my TV was showing the recording.
I then pressed 30skip, and barely got to 1.

A.K.A. VOS
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page