Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone think the price drop is due to Mits coming out with an updated version that may include DVI or D-Theater?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When they drop to $100, will buy for a dubbing deck

dave
post #3 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Why buy one of these if you pretty much are unable to record anything?! I just don't get it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #4 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I have read, with the specific Mits tv with firewire and tuner, 2 models currently, you can record OTA.. In the future, some sets can be upgraded with the promise module and then also be able to deliver OTA to the mits. Not flexible enough for me.

dave
post #5 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not think you will every see a mits product include DVI.
But the D-Theater may be added. We will all know for sure in about three weeks.

The Mits New Line Dealer show is happening in the first two weeks of April. I think they will be anouceing the release date of the Promise Module and other IEEE1394 Firewire goodies.

Yes Viriginia there is a HDTV standard, its called IEEE1394 with 5C.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #6 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 06:26 PM

Say, thats a good price. Humm, I don't have a
Mits TV, so I can't use it. Say, do you think
that might be the reason for the price ?

Anyone want to buy a really cool U-Matic tape
deck ?
post #7 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Why buy one of these if you pretty much are unable to record anything?! I just don't get it.
You could say exactly the same thing about the JVC D-VHS deck. What are you able to record using it? AFAIK the only devices are custom kludges and old discontinued hardware. The Mitsubishi deck should be able to record from any device that the JVC can with the possible exception of the 169time modded DTC100. The JVC's advantge is that it can playback D-Theater tapes not in it's recording ability.

Jay
post #8 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, but without the 169time product, the jvc wouldnt be worth much either. I wouldnt have purchased any of them without this support.

dave
post #9 of 31 Old 03-15-2002, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if this box will work with the WinXP/Hipix stuff discussed in the other thread?

--Rick
post #10 of 31 Old 03-16-2002, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

When Mits releases their next stb, it will incorporate firewire. This combo with the D-VHS will be the least expensive way to record both D* and OTA. About $1400.00.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #11 of 31 Old 03-16-2002, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
When Mits releases their next stb, it will incorporate firewire.
This certainly makes sense although I have seen no official word that such a STB is in the works. IMO if Mits. doesn't release a STB w/firewire I don't think anyone will. They have been the most vocal supporter of firewire, so it seems logical that they would be the one to do it.

Jay
post #12 of 31 Old 03-16-2002, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If Mitsubishi does release a firewire version of a DirecTV HD receiver then I will probably be a sucker, er... I mean a candidate for one of the first ones out. That would open the possibility to record HDNet once in for all. Since it looks like I'll be keeping the Mits for a price I just could not refuse, I'm hot to find any way to improve it's miniscule functionality. LOL
post #13 of 31 Old 03-16-2002, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
I'm hot to find any way to improve it's miniscule functionality. LOL
You could always buy a Mits. RPTV to go along with it :).

Jay
post #14 of 31 Old 03-17-2002, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

kippjones,
Sometime not enough knowleged is just bad.

Like some others yous guys are not telling the whole truth here.

Currently there there are two companies making HDTV sets that can supply a HD data streams to the Mits and JVC DVHS deck, they are Mits and Sony.

As far as the 169time project, I would not recommend it to anyone since it is a hack job and does not meet the current Firewire/DTVLink/5C standard.

The Promise Module(PM) for the Mits sets will be available soon. The cost of the PM with the Mits D-VHS deck is around $1700 and it works. The mits solution is much better deal then spending $600 for 169time, 500 for a DTC100 and $1400 for the JVC D-VHS deck to record HD.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #15 of 31 Old 03-17-2002, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

As a Mits. RPTV owner I would be much more interested in a STB (w/firewire AND component outputs) that supports directv and OTA than the promise module's OTA only approach. I think Mits. missed the boat when it decided to only offer an OTA tuner with it's promise module especially since it reportedly costs around $1000. If JVC can make a D-VHS deck with firewire and component connectivity than why can't Mits. make a STB with the same connectivity.

Jay
post #16 of 31 Old 03-17-2002, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
kippjones,
Sometime not enough knowleged is just bad.

Like some others yous guys are not telling the whole truth here.

Currently there there are two companies making HDTV sets that can supply a HD data streams to the Mits and JVC DVHS deck, they are Mits and Sony.

As far as the 169time project, I would not recommend it to anyone since it is a hack job and does not meet the current Firewire/DTVLink/5C standard.

The Promise Module(PM) for the Mits sets will be available soon. The cost of the PM with the Mits D-VHS deck is around $1700 and it works. The mits solution is much better deal then spending $600 for 169time, 500 for a DTC100 and $1400 for the JVC D-VHS deck to record HD.

Huh?????? What am I not telling the whole truth about???? What I said was "When Mits releases their next stb, it will incorporate firewire. This combo with the D-VHS will be the least expensive way to record both D* and OTA. About $1400.00." How is that not the whole truth?

This will be one of the first ways to actually record OTA and D* together. You cannot do that with the Sony or Mits sets to the best of my knowledge. Guys, am I wrong here?

Kipp
post #17 of 31 Old 03-17-2002, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Bruce, you have no idea what you are talking about. The sony will not output anything on the firewire..I tried.
Dave that statement was totally uncalled for. Especially due to the nature of your "first hand test" of the Sony. For anyone interested in Dave's "scientific" tests of the Sony here are a few of Dave's quotes:
Quote:
We then tuned to HDnet and tried to record on the jvc. Nothing but green. We then flipped to a DTV OTA and I hit record again. Nothing.
When he was asked how he was using the Sony TV to try to record HDnet since the Sony has no directv tuner (only OTA) his response was:
Quote:
They had a toshiba driving for direct. Told me the OTA was hooked up to the tuner in the sony but cant say I looked at this while at the store.
So basically Dave can now categorically state that "The sony will not output anything on the firewire" because his JVC deck wouldn't record HDnet from a Toshiba STB and when it didn't record the OTA signal he didn't even look to see if the OTA signal he was trying to record was from the TV's tuner or the external Toshiba. I'll leave it to the reader to make up their mind who "has no idea what they are talking about". Here is the link if anyone want to see the "test".

I want to make it clear that I personally don't know whether or not the Sony's firewire is bi-directional (because of conflicting reports) but I think that anyone would agree that no conclusions can be made from Dave's "test".

Jay
post #18 of 31 Old 03-17-2002, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

fyi

Just like there was a digital cassette tape standard, now defunct,
5C is a waste of time. Like all copy protection, It's already outdated
before it even makes it to market.

Like the 169time product, the Mits module is also an add in recording
adapter. The difference is that the 169Time.com adapter is available
now, doesn't require use with any particular monitor, and it is the one that
is really working.

fyi

dave
post #19 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
You could say exactly the same thing about the JVC D-VHS deck. What are you able to record using it? AFAIK the only devices are custom kludges and old discontinued hardware. The Mitsubishi deck should be able to record from any device that the JVC can with the possible exception of the 169time modded DTC100. The JVC's advantge is that it can playback D-Theater tapes not in it's recording ability.

Jay
Doesn't the JVC D-VHS deck had component inputs? Why couldn't you run your HD receiver component output into it?

Go easy on me - I'm new here and am just trying to determine what options I have to time-shift my HD.

Tim L
post #20 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

It has component OUTPUTS!.......not inputs.

bb
post #21 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
Doesn't the JVC D-VHS deck had component inputs? Why couldn't you run your HD receiver component output into it?
The JVC has component OUTPUTS not inputs. So as far as recording capabilities, both the JVC and Mits. have to be connected to a HDTV tuner with firewire. Since you can playback through the same firewire that you recorded from, the component outputs of the JVC really aren't that usefull. Also the JVC seems to still have serious problems with freezes/dropouts.

Jay
post #22 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
OK, can someone please clarify something for me? I have been unable to get an answer in other topics.

Just who can buy these decks for OTA recording? My DISH 6000 does not have digital outputs. My Panasonoc HDTV does not have digital anything (in/out). So basically, this product is useless for me, correct?

If I understand this correctly, almost no one with an HDTV can use the JVC deck to record OTA.

:confused:

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #23 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Just who can buy these decks for OTA recording? My DISH 6000 does not have digital outputs. My Panasonoc HDTV does not have digital anything (in/out). So basically, this product is useless for me, correct?

If I understand this correctly, almost no one with an HDTV can use the JVC deck to record OTA.
Mitsubishi has several models with builtin OTA tuners w/firewire. They definitely work with the Mits. D-VHS and probably work w/ the JVC. The Sony TVs with firewire MAY work. There have been conflicting reports with no conclusive info one way or the other. The D-VHS recorders are useless for for you at this time.

Jay
post #24 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any kind of box that can convert your 1080i output from an HD receiver into IEEE-1394?
post #25 of 31 Old 03-20-2002, 10:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
Tim,

There are separate W-VHS machines that have 1080i inputs, but analog storage, not digital. It will however tape anything thrown at it, but high tape cost.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-21-2002, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

"Is there any kind of box that can convert your 1080i output from an HD receiver into IEEE-1394?"

Yes.

There are capture cards for the pc and Mac ($10,000.00 or so - for now)that allow uncompressed HDTV capture to disk. From there, you can convert to a transport stream then send it out over firewire.

It is possible, just not practical quite yet. It's simpler to use a set top box, pc, or D-VHS that already has firewire.

Joe
post #27 of 31 Old 03-21-2002, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

An unrelated FYI for those who didn't see it in the HOWTO thread. The Mitsu does work with XP the same way that the JVC does. The only cavecat is that you have to install the Mitsu as the JVC under XP.

I almost regret that I bought the JVC and spent all that extra money. But the availability of a build-in MPEG2 decoder is nice. You don't have to lug the computer around with you when you bring the VCR to your friend's house. :)

Leszek
post #28 of 31 Old 03-21-2002, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamoka
... It's simpler to use a set top box, pc, or D-VHS that already has firewire...
Are there STB's that have firewire already built-in?

Tim
post #29 of 31 Old 03-21-2002, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

To get back on topic how does one purchase the mits for $699 at tweeter.
Do you have to go into a tweeter store? Or can it be purchased online for this price?

--Rick
post #30 of 31 Old 03-21-2002, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rick,
I have seen at as a "wise buy" Tweeters on sale listing. I do not know if it can be purchased online. I have only seen in at their stores for this price. Give them a call.

Kipp
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page