Comcast Rolling Out AnyRoom DVR - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 200 Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just swapped out an old HDDVR box and got a DCX3400 (not sure if it is an M..what is that and is that just for the anyroomDVR?). I was just wondering if there is any way to dim the front display on the box. It is VERY bright and I figured there was a setting to dim it but I have looked through all of the menus and haven't found anything. The only option related to the front display is whether to display the channel or time.

On another note, how do I tell what size HDD I have in the DVR? Is that anywhere in the menu info?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 200 Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

I just swapped out an old HDDVR box and got a DCX3400 (not sure if it is an M..what is that and is that just for the anyroomDVR?). I was just wondering if there is any way to dim the front display on the box. It is VERY bright and I figured there was a setting to dim it but I have looked through all of the menus and haven't found anything. The only option related to the front display is whether to display the channel or time.

On another note, how do I tell what size HDD I have in the DVR? Is that anywhere in the menu info?

Thanks!

M is usually just for AnyRoom, but I've heard reports that some have been issued in non-AnyRoom situations. The unit is black and it's labeled on the front as a DCX3400-M.

Depending on the firmware level, you may be able to dim the front panel. Mine is 22.67 and I cannot change the brightness. I have heard that there are menu choices to change brightness on later firmwares. You can't adjust the firmware; you get what your cable company pushes down to the box.

As for hard disk size, if you tip the unit over, you may be able to see the hard drive and its label, which should tell you. The M units are usually 500G.
post #183 of 200 Old 11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ok thanks! Ya mine doesn't have an M and I didn't opt for the AnyRoom DVR so that makes sense. I wish I could update the firmware though. I wonder if you can call and have them do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

M is usually just for AnyRoom, but I've heard reports that some have been issued in non-AnyRoom situations. The unit is black and it's labeled on the front as a DCX3400-M.

Depending on the firmware level, you may be able to dim the front panel. Mine is 22.67 and I cannot change the brightness. I have heard that there are menu choices to change brightness on later firmwares. You can't adjust the firmware; you get what your cable company pushes down to the box.

As for hard disk size, if you tip the unit over, you may be able to see the hard drive and its label, which should tell you. The M units are usually 500G.

post #184 of 200 Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Ok thanks! Ya mine doesn't have an M and I didn't opt for the AnyRoom DVR so that makes sense. I wish I could update the firmware though. I wonder if you can call and have them do that...

Comcast does not update individual set-top boxes. You can post a request for an option to dim the display at:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/01/new-...en-better.html

Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #185 of 200 Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

When the glitches happen, are you recording another program and possibly someone else is watching a recorded program on one of your terminal units? I wonder if too much access at the same time could be taxing the unit.

Nope .... Happens even at 3 AM in the morning with both tuners tuned to either SD or HD and no other Comcast activity stirring at the house .... other than the raccoon family nestled in above my patio cover under the eves at this time of year.

At this time in the morning I'm usually on CNBC-SD and Bloomberg-SD at my den's 32" HDTV plus getting ready for the next trading session using a Comcast ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 HSI modem. The AnyRoom HD-DVR Host is the same room feeding the 32" HDTV.

Note: FWIW, I never see the live A/V glitches on the Terminal unit in the family room (just occasional blank screens for a minute or two).

Weird ... Plus Comcast is raising rates again here in November by nearly 5% after a similar increase just 10 months ago .... Weirder still.
post #186 of 200 Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I realize the prices vary area to area, but I'm trying to get an idea if it would likely be cheaper to have two HD DVR's (3416's) or one Anyroom main hub and one Anyroom terminal unit? Either solution would work for me but my cable bill is rediculously high so I'm wondering if switching to Anyroom would be more or less expensive.

Thanks,
Guy

post #187 of 200 Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

AnyRoom DVR functionality is starting to be rolled out in the SA/Cisco markets and uses On-Screen Guide 2.0. See the underlined sections for more information.

Quote:

Hi Ted,
While scrolling through your responses to other posters, I noticed that it seems like you are saying that the upcoming Caller ID on TV/etc. features are only going to be available on your non Cisco RNG boxes. Is this true, or am I misunderstanding? I live in the South Shore area of MA and I have a Cisco RNG 150N HD box. If I did misunderstand, and the update will come through on my box, do you possibly have any dates on when this may happen? Also, would the OnScreen Guide 2.0 work on my box, and if not, would Comcast offices in my area have it in stock (and would you have any dates on that either?)? Thanks in advance for any information you may have,
Aaron

Aaron | January 22, 2012 11:13 AM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42178

Quote:

Hello Aaron and thanks for your questions. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Caller ID to the TV and many other features are scheduled to be available to most all of our Cisco and Scientific Atlanta branded cable boxes. The few exceptions are a small number of older set tops that don't have the internal memory to support those newer features, specifically the SA 2000 and 8000 models. For some time we have been actively removing those older memory starved cable boxes from our customer's homes and replacing them with newer models in anticipation of these scheduled new features.

Cisco RNG devices are scheduled to get all of the features I have listed, either via an upgrade to the current guide (scheduled to start over the summer) or with On-Screen Guide 2.0 or On-Screen Guide 3.0. On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2
has already started to roll out to customers and it is available now in most all of our Cisco areas of Florida, Georgia and Mississippi with Anyroom DVR. Additional areas will be coming on-line with On-Screen Guide 2.0 over the next 30 days.

Eventually we will also deliver this guide to our Cisco RNG devices. On-Screen Guide 3.0 is currently available to customers in Augusta, GA. We also have additional markets for On-Screen Guide 3.0 scheduled for this year.

Some RNG devices may go right to On-Screen Guide 2.0 while others may start with the features being added to the current guide. This will depend on the timing and readiness for each area. I don't have any dates yet for On-Screen Guide 2.0 or 3.0 for your area of Massachusetts.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Aaron | January 24, 2012 10:54 AM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42200

Links:

post #188 of 200 Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Does Comcast supply a wireless router with an AnyRoom installation? Thanks ...

Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
post #189 of 200 Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post

Not sure. But they do (or at least they did) supply one if you have your internet through them. I'd ask.
post #190 of 200 Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post

No

AnyRoom DVR uses the existing cable wiring (MoCA - Multimedia over Coax Alliance) so a wireless router is not used.

Links:

post #191 of 200 Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

No

AnyRoom DVR uses the existing cable wiring (MoCA - Multimedia over Coax Alliance) so a wireless router is not used.

Well sure. But you still could get a router out of the deal. (Darn, should have remembered that. Of course it's the wiring, stupid.)
post #192 of 200 Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have to say that after nearly 18 months of heavy use, my AnyRoom setup with the original equipment (including a DCX3400-M as Host) is still working, which actually is amazing to me after reading back through the last few months of postings here ..... knock on wood (I probably just jinxed myself).

Now, if Comcast can keep their monthly rates in reasonable check, my "TV viewing life" would be almost perfect (representing about 2 or 3 hours out of a 24-hour day).
post #193 of 200 Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 12
I just switched back to Comcast after 2 years on AT&T U-Verse. Doesn't seem like much has changed since i've been away except the AnyRoom DVR. ...unfortunately I didn't do all my homework before re-signing. I assumed you could pause/rewind on the non-dvr console; a bit disappointed. Is there a future plan to add this functionality?

Also, any new channels and features coming on board in the next few months? U-Verse seems to have Comcast beat on features and HD channels (that are interesting to me at least).
Thanks
post #194 of 200 Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod View Post

I just switched back to Comcast after 2 years on AT&T U-Verse. Doesn't seem like much has changed since i've been away except the AnyRoom DVR. ...unfortunately I didn't do all my homework before re-signing. I assumed you could pause/rewind on the non-dvr console; a bit disappointed. Is there a future plan to add this functionality?

Also, any new channels and features coming on board in the next few months? U-Verse seems to have Comcast beat on features and HD channels (that are interesting to me at least).
Thanks

You can use pause and rewind and rewind on the non-dvr console, as long as you're watching something that has been recorded on the DVR. If you're watching live TV, you're watching through the unit's own tuner, which isn't connected to the DVR and therefore can't be paused or rewound.
post #195 of 200 Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 PM

Live TV is what I was hoping for.
post #196 of 200 Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Live TV is what I was hoping for.

For that you need a DVR. With AnyRoom, the other unit simply treats the DVR like it does On Demand. You can access stored programs on the DVR, but you can't delete them from there, nor can you set up recordings. When you watch live TV, you're watching through the unit's own tuner, and there's no disc to store data (for pausing, etc.)

I suppose Comcast could have gone the route of having the secondary box be simply a view into the DVR (allowing you to pause, set up recordings, etc). But that would open up a lot of potential conflicts if different people wanted to watch different programs on the two units. The DVR has only three tuners (two that can watch/record live TV and one that can play back recorded programs), so there might be times when you couldn't do what you wanted because someone else was using a tuner you needed. The way things are, the secondary box can tune to any live channel because it has its own dedicated tuner.

Ideally, you could have multiple DVRs as your AnyRoom boxes, with each offering a view into the other unit's hard drive to access stored programs, and each with the ability to record, pause, etc. using its own hard drive. I don't think Comcast has that part working. That would be great, though.
post #197 of 200 Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

As a workaround, you can record the program on the main AnyRoom DVR and watch it slightly delayed on the satellite box if you want to use pause/rewind.

Links:

post #198 of 200 Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

As a workaround, you can record the program on the main AnyRoom DVR and watch it slightly delayed on the satellite box if you want to use pause/rewind.

That would be ok but.... since the Anyroom DVR is downstairs and the other box upstairs, it would be a hassle to run downstairs to do that.

U-Verse initially had the same setup but an update to their system allowed to pause/rew and record from any tv. I believe that the U-Verse any room DVR box had 4 tuners though.
post #199 of 200 Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

That would be ok but.... since the Anyroom DVR is downstairs and the other box upstairs, it would be a hassle to run downstairs to do that.

When you happen to be downstairs for some other reason, set the DVR to record the show. Then, at some point after the broadcast starts, play the recording through the box upstairs.
post #200 of 200 Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM

Anyone know if/when the Guide 2.0 might come to the Detroit market? I have AnyRoom on the moto box now, using the same ancient programming guide from last century.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page