ePVision PHD-VRX speculation thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 476 Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I contacted customer service about not getting the $30 coupon code that I had registered for. They sent it to me in an email the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 476 Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well I just sent them a email asking them what happened to the $30 off coupon I signed up for months ago, and have never received from them. We shall see what happens after sending them a reminder about the $30 off offer, that quite likely many of us here signed up for.
post #363 of 476 Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That sure was a fast response considering the time!
Just 15 minutes after I sent them a email at 12:10am, they sent me a email back at 12:25am with the $30 off coupon code. Somebody there must been working late.
post #364 of 476 Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCS View Post

I contacted customer service about not getting the $30 coupon code that I had registered for. They sent it to me in an email the same day.

Same here. I also asked them to fix the typos on their home page. Not so quick there.
post #365 of 476 Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM

How can you get $30 off coupon?I'm interested buying it,that's perfect if I could save $30 as I need to pay $46 for shipping(canada)
post #366 of 476 Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockisdead View Post

How can you get $30 off coupon?I'm interested buying it,that's perfect if I could save $30 as I need to pay $46 for shipping(canada)

Since they probably don't keep records, just send sales an email asking if the pre-release coupon you signed up for last year will still be valid even though the name of the product has changed. You have nothing to lose.
post #367 of 476 Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 28
Wrote and received my $30 code this morning. I placed my order and they have 45 days. The clock is ticking Dude. By the way "It will be 2 to 3 weeks for product release and ship to customers." according to my note from them this morning. We will see.......
post #368 of 476 Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Since they probably don't keep records, just send sales an email asking if the pre-release coupon you signed up for last year will still be valid even though the name of the product has changed. You have nothing to lose.

Thanks.just sent email asking for the coupon,hope I could get it and wish this baby to be available in nearly future.
post #369 of 476 Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Liked: 13
well they waited too late for me (the coupon and the unit itself) the money earmarked for the purchase has now been allocated someplace else.

My tractor wanted some new parts to run.

Guess I'll just sit back and read the posts on it and it's comparison to TiVo if it ever materializes
post #370 of 476 Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Having two of the HDD 250's, the only problems they have are not theirs...TVGOS support (or lack thereof in some markets) is the #1 major issue with the HDD. The unit is otherwise mostly stable and I dread when mine die, as Sony still supports them but some parts are out of stock-drives are in stock but other parts aren't.

The one problem with the current units is lack of a clock set screen...if TVGOS is buggy or nonexistent you don't get a clock. I'm convinced this is intentional as most every other DVR is on someone else's string....even TIVO requires you to subscribe even for OTA only.

The true travesty of the HDD is that there isn't a 1 or 2 TB unit with two or three tuners.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #371 of 476 Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

Having two of the HDD 250's, the only problems they have are not theirs...TVGOS support (or lack thereof in some markets) is the #1 major issue with the HDD. The unit is otherwise mostly stable and I dread when mine die, as Sony still supports them but some parts are out of stock-drives are in stock but other parts aren't.

The one problem with the current units is lack of a clock set screen...if TVGOS is buggy or nonexistent you don't get a clock. I'm convinced this is intentional as most every other DVR is on someone else's string....even TIVO requires you to subscribe even for OTA only.

The true travesty of the HDD is that there isn't a 1 or 2 TB unit with two or three tuners.

I'm not sure if your post is on the right forum. But anyhow, the VRX seems to have an HDMI input. This alone would get my interest since I have a Yamaha RX-V867 that has two HDMI outputs and six HDMI inputs. I love my toys.
post #372 of 476 Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm guessing the HDMI input serves as a passthrough to the HDMI output. Just a guess.

I e-mailed ePVision yesterday about what's going on with the PHD-VRX shipping...their reply:
Quote:

Thank you for your email. PHD-VRX product is still on the way to our warehouse. We currently are not ready to ship out yet. All our pre-orders have not been processed and charged yet. We only charge to our customer when we physically ship out the unit. Once we have units ready we will ship to our pre-order customer right away. Thank you for your patience.

So, still no idea when shipment will begin. Maybe they're getting them to their warehouse via a really slow boat from China.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #373 of 476 Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I'm guessing the HDMI input serves as a passthrough to the HDMI output. Just a guess.

I e-mailed ePVision yesterday about what's going on with the PHD-VRX shipping...their reply:So, still no idea when shipment will begin. Maybe they're getting them to their warehouse via a really slow boat from China.

If they are on the boat, it should be possible to place the manual on the web site. If the manual is still not finished, that could mean somebody has to open all the boxes and place it inside.

It would be nice to record from the HDMI port. If not, well, no surprise.
post #374 of 476 Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hmm, I don't know of any device that allows recording from HDMI. You can record from component (via Hauppauge's HD PVR), or from something like HDFury, which converts HDMI to component.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #375 of 476 Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Hmm, I don't know of any device that allows recording from HDMI. You can record from component (via Hauppauge's HD PVR), or from something like HDFury, which converts HDMI to component.

I agree. I don't know of any DVR that has HDMI as an input. I'm just speculating. And waiting.
post #376 of 476 Old 05-10-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
At least one DVR with HDMI input did exist, a few years back:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=gefen
post #377 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just thinking here. There are two rf connections. The marketing people say dual tuners. They also say I can record two shows at the same time.

Would it be more accurate to say there are two single tuners? If I want to record two shows at the same time should I need a splitter?

Any speculation is welcome. It's been pretty quiet while we wait for that boat to dock.
post #378 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

The marketing people say dual tuners. Would it be more accurate to say there are two single tuners?

Probably, but they still mean the same thing. I don't know of any single component with two separate front ends.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #379 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Just thinking here. There are two rf connections. The marketing people say dual tuners. They also say I can record two shows at the same time.

Would it be more accurate to say there are two single tuners? If I want to record two shows at the same time should I need a splitter?

Any speculation is welcome. It's been pretty quiet while we wait for that boat to dock.

I contacted epvision sales again with these questions:

Can you give a firm date of when you expect to have the units in?
Are you going to sell these through any other retailers?
There are two tuner RF jacks on the unit, can you record two channels at one time from input to a single RF jack? Or do you have to use both RF jacks, recording one channel from each tuner?
The user manual is still not downloadable. It would really answer a lot of my questions if it were available. Can you send me a manual please?

This is the response I got:

For PHD-VRX dual tuners, you can:
(1) record one channel from each tuner at the same time.
(2) record one channel from one tuner, and use another tuner to watch different channel.
(3) record one channel from one tuner, and use another tuner for timeshifting and pause live TV.

For PHD-VRX, you can pre-schedule recording up to 32 events at a time and spread these recording events over these two tuners. In PHD-VRX, we offer generally 4 different recording methods. Over-all, you can do direct recording, manual (timer) recording and program (EPG) recording. And of course, user can select recording at "once", "daily for weekdays", "weekend" and "everyday" as well as extend the "start time" or "end time" for recording.

We are trying our best to expedite the product release process. You can order later on or anytime. We won't charge customer's credit card until we physically ship out the unit. Thanks again.
post #380 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM

I got my $30 off coupon code from their customer service,but I don't think that they can ship it out within next a few months.

I give up to wait this product.
post #381 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

For PHD-VRX, you can pre-schedule recording up to 32 events at a time and spread these recording events over these two tuners. In PHD-VRX, we offer generally 4 different recording methods. Over-all, you can do direct recording, manual (timer) recording and program (EPG) recording. And of course, user can select recording at "once", "daily for weekdays", "weekend" and "everyday" as well as extend the "start time" or "end time" for recording.

Thanks again.

Thanks. The answer is what I expected. However if the manual recording is time-stamped with the end time, I won't be happy.
post #382 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockisdead View Post

I got my $30 off coupon code from their customer service,but I don't think that they can ship it out within next a few months.

I give up to wait this product.

Do you have an alternative in mind?
post #383 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I contacted epvision sales again with these questions:

Can you give a firm date of when you expect to have the units in?
Are you going to sell these through any other retailers?
There are two tuner RF jacks on the unit, can you record two channels at one time from input to a single RF jack? Or do you have to use both RF jacks, recording one channel from each tuner?
The user manual is still not downloadable. It would really answer a lot of my questions if it were available. Can you send me a manual please?

This is the response I got:

For PHD-VRX dual tuners, you can:
(1) record one channel from each tuner at the same time.
(2) record one channel from one tuner, and use another tuner to watch different channel.
(3) record one channel from one tuner, and use another tuner for timeshifting and pause live TV.

I'm kind of confused. Does this mean I'll need two antennas to watch one show and record another (or record two shows) at the same time?
post #384 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agothacles View Post

I'm kind of confused. Does this mean I'll need two antennas to watch one show and record another (or record two shows) at the same time?

No, it means you can use a splitter to hook up one antenna to both RF jacks if you are receiving OTA.
post #385 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 PM

I pre-ordered the VRX today. I used the $20 discount code available on the site and saved $20 on the purchase. I DID send a request for the $30 discount coupon last month, but never received it. I totally forgot that I requested the coupon. I hope they ship these units soon. I keep visualizing myself at a Time Warner Cable center dropping off my cable boxes. I'm still looking forward to that day.
post #386 of 476 Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it means you can use a splitter to hook up one antenna to both RF jacks if you are receiving OTA.

I have something with one rf connection that lets me record two shows at the same time on different channels. I also have something that has two rf connections but I can only use one to receive at a time. Playback is different. I guess we wait to see what ships. Seems that if both rf inputs were fed to two "dual tuners" we could record four shows at once. I doubt that is true. If you need rf cables, monoprice.com is a good source.
post #387 of 476 Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 AM

So I have ordered one. At least the $30 coupon covers part of the crazy $46 shipping cost to Canada. Hopefully it will be in time for the Summer Olympics

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #388 of 476 Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM

I've been looking for some kind of box to improve my OTA reception, and I think the PHD-VRX is it. Anything has to be better than the abysmal reception from my Dynex LCD TV, and its frustrating habit of dropping channels and then making me re-scan everything and weed out the "unbearable" channels. I live in the south end of Seattle, and I can get Tacoma channels if I turn the antenna 180º in the opposite direction, something you can't do with single-scan and no ability to add single channels. So the PHD-VRX, even if the tuner reception is average, will at least allow me to hook up two antennas and scan each separately. Add to that the antenna input and scan of the Samsung TV and I can have three separate antennas each with it's own scan. Seems worth the gamble.
post #389 of 476 Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinBlair View Post

I've been looking for some kind of box to improve my OTA reception, and I think the PHD-VRX is it. Anything has to be better than the abysmal reception from my Samsung LCD TV, and its frustrating habit of dropping channels and then making me re-scan everything and weed out the "unbearable" channels. I live in the south end of Seattle, and I can get Tacoma channels if I turn the antenna 180º in the opposite direction, something you can't do with single-scan and no ability to add single channels. So the PHD-VRX, even if the tuner reception is average, will at least allow me to hook up two antennas and scan each separately. Add to that the antenna input and scan of the Samsung TV and I can have three separate antennas each with it's own scan. Seems worth the gamble.

I live in the Kirkland area and have been using a DTV-PAL (CM 7000 PAL) for the past two years with excellent reception. The TVGOS just crapped out last week but I am hopeful it will come back soon. You can still buy some open box Channel Master models with a one year warranty if you check. It seems to have a better tuner than the newer 7400 so if all you want is the tuner that might be a good choice. See the appropriate threads here for the DTV-PAL.
post #390 of 476 Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks, tmn1, but the recorder part of it clinched the deal. I've wanted the recorder function, but did not want a subscription to anything.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page