ePVision PHD-VRX speculation thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 476 Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Videobruce, thanks for keeping track on the Epvision. Q4 end is less than 4 weeks away! Any updates?

The previous response states that it will not record the analog channel, which is fine by me. IIRC they stated earlier that the will only be able to record on one digital input, wonder if that is still the case? If that is the case then pausing live video will probably not be possible on the second non-recording channel.

At this point it is between this PVR from Epvision and the M6620NP. I was at the point to pull the trigger on a M6620NP when HDD prices (as in WD green caviar) almost doubled due to the floods in Bangkok. Since I have a USB drive doing nothing on my shelve the EPvision sounded like a good alternative, but they are already a year behind their initial forcasts

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 476 Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I haven't heard anything. I'm wondering if they are waiting for the CM box to come out and look at the response.

What you mentioned is another computer add on, correct? I only want free standing. Computers are power hogs especially compared to a DVR.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #33 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 AM

The M6620NP refreed to in the post above is stand alone product from Korea's DVICO, Full name is the TVIX PVR M6620. From a power consumption perspective it will probably have more control over the HDD because it is built in, especially when using one of the WD Caviar Green series of HDD. It would be interesting to compare the two products side by side.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #34 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A quick look showed no HDMI, component or any conventional video outputs.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #35 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM

No HDMI would certainly have been a deal breaker. Some criticism against the M6620N is that it does not have Component video but it certainly has HDMI, though it probably uses fairly old (2008/2009) technology chipsets which is one of the reasons why I am willing to wait for the offering from Epvision

Here is the link

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/products/pvrm6620n.aspx

I am not getting any response from Epvision. It appears as if you have some connections there. Maybe you can ask them how their product will compare to the M6620N (I think the latest version is the NP)

post #36 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

A quick look showed no HDMI, component or any conventional video outputs.

It has HDMI and digital optical audio out.

Inputs:
ATSC/QAM Dual RF Inputs

Outputs:
1x HDMI (up to 720p/1080i/1080p) output
1x Digital Optical (SPDIF) output

Controls:
1x USB port for recording/playing TS files.
Front Panel key controls
IR Remote Control
post #37 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Like I said, it was a quick look. Yes, no component is a disadvantage.
Ok, where does the EPG data come from? PSIP?
What's the difference between the 6620 & the 6640? Seems they have too many models with no comparison chart.

post #38 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Were does the EPG data come from? PSIP?

I believe it comes from PSIP . This thread discusses the product

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=m6620n

Quote:
What's the difference between the 6620 & the 6640? Seems they have too many models with no comparison chart.

The 6620 is the ATSC version, the 6640 is the DVB version.

post #39 of 476 Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So is this product vaporware?
It really annoys me how these companies claim feature x/y/z/ will not be included because of cost.
Do it correctly or dont even bother playing the game.
Are these CE's really that clueless that they dont understand what people expect out of a DVR?

BTW-Is this a korean original manufacturer who is reponsible for the engineering of this device?

2 Tuners + Point & Click Recording From EPG + Cablecard is mandatory in this day and age for a DVR, otherwise pack your bags and go home.
post #40 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Hi qz3fwd. I have been following the progress on this product for about 5 months now mainly informed by the information kindly provided by Videobruce. I believe the reason that the product has not yet been released is exactly because of what you are saying. I think that EPvision realised that the initial design would have missed the boat and they therefore decided to switch their design efforts to an improved design without releasing the ez1 product. Although some products of this kind have already been released by other manufacturers, I have not seen a rally matured product yet. All of them have bugs and it appears as if the EPG part is the most challenging. I am hoping that the delay is also due to EPvision wanting to perform more in-house testing rather to release a fairly buggy product to the market, as some of the others have clearly demonstrated.

post #41 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe it comes from PSIP.

That makes that useless.
Quote:

it appears as if the EPG part is the most challenging

Agreed!

PSIP data is worthless since most stations only provide a few hours of programming, some none at all. If you are lucky, it might be a day and one half.
If stations would only provide at least four days of programming, it might be usable, but three hours? Not a chance.
Quote:

Is this a korean original manufacturer who is reponsible for the engineering of this device?

According to their web site, yes.
Quote:

2 Tuners + Point & Click Recording From EPG + Cablecard is mandatory in this day and age for a DVR, otherwise pack your bags and go home.

yes, eventually, a long shot depending on interest. See next post.

post #42 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, here is the latest direct from the horses mouth. In no particular order;
Allen is hoping by the end of the month. Looks like a crap shoot for them and CM to see which is first. The current delay is firmware tweaking (he called it software). The hardware has been already tested. One sticky point is the EPG. He/they understand the limitations PSIP, but want to offer a reasonable priced service.

The unit will look like the 8VX (a 205 tuner in black and a similar front panel layout), a metal case, not plastic that was what is shown for the eZ1. This is a huge improvement since that other prototype looked like a $30 converter box;
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxmain.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxside.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxfront.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxback.htm

It will have:
1. The A/V switcher provision and upscaler built in (like the 8VX). This puts this in a major step league,,
2. Two RF inputs with separate memories for ATSC & QAM for a total of four memory banks (I really can't see the benefit here even after he explained it to me),
3. A NTSC tuner, but only for live viewing,
4. A conventional AC power cord, no 'brick',
5. Two USB ports for external HDD's, but NO provision for an internal drive. (A big mistake AFAIC). Since this will be a 'media reader' it will be able to read most HDD's.

It won't have;
A. Provisions for a internal HDD even though there appears to be enough room. This is a major mistake. Period. I understand the advantage of external storage, but at least allow placement on a internal HDD with the ability not to install one,
B. A CC slot with provision for a 'modem interface' for SDV systems, either with the 1st or the 2nd version due to complexity and lack of interest, unless they can be shown there actually is interest here. ( hint, hint),
C. An encoder to record analog channels due to cost (an additional $40 was the estimate),
D. The ability to format a HDD from the DVR. That has to be done through a PC (if I understood him correctly),
E. The ability to directly interface with a PC (USB to USB).

The first version will only have a PSIP EPG, but through firmware upgrades a full guide will be available as a option (like the CM) in future versions. The customer will deal directly with the supplier for the subscription. The projected cost should be around $25 a year.
They are in negotiations with Internet 'streaming' services, but no Netflix due to Netflix. (Netflix too large, they are too small and the fact Netflix isn't in the best of financial condition)

Would you believe I forgot to ask about price?

post #43 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:

That makes that useless.Agreed!

PSIP data is worthless since most stations only provide a few hours of programming, some none at all. If you are lucky, it might be a day and one half.
If stations would only provide at least four days of programming, it might be usable, but three hours? Not a chance.

That is exactly why I suggested to EPVision to define some file format which the user can manually populate with the EPG data and upload to the unit. Maybe a file for each channel identified by the channel number. The manual populating of the files could be just a C&P from the data available on the web. A user forum such as this can then share their files. I am sure that some guru in the user group will quickly generate some GUI which will automatically fetch the data from the web and upload it to the PVR, no need to depend on the unreliable PSIP data.

post #44 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The enhanced EPG might be offered free for the 1st year when it is available. Regarding the source of the enhanced EPG, he mentioned this was a 'not for profit' source. Anyone know who/what this might be?

Other 'future' features may/could be the ability to record from external sources at the component level. I chuckled when he mentioned this since my first thought was copyright protection. He replied, since it was just component, not HDMI, it might be (legally) possible. I replied about the length of the line waiting to purchase the device if it could record HD component sources, e.g: from another HD DVR for example.

He did mention of a recording device sold in Asia that does have HD inputs. The quality was terrible he reported. That's Asia I replied, they have everything except the overly greedy MPAA.

post #45 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

That makes that useless.Agreed!

I just hope they have manual time setting to fall back on, because I don't know if I'd trust one-touch programming through a PSIP guide, where there are such inconsistencies in times between stations.
post #46 of 476 Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the update videobruce. I think I am going to wait for this one then. I agree that I would have preferred an internal drive just because of the higher data rates and better control over power that it will allow.

I wonder if it will have 2 actual F - connectors which will allow one to hook a feed from a cable to one and an antenna to the other allowing one to record any combination of two digital channels at a time? That is if my first assumption is correct that one would be able to record (through the internal switch) at the same time from both tuners.

post #47 of 476 Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder if it will have 2 actual F - connectors which will allow one to hook a feed from a cable to one and an antenna to the other allowing one to record any combination of two digital channels at a time?

Yes to the first question, I never asked to the second.

post #48 of 476 Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Are you referring to the CM-7400? I noticed that the CM shipping date is just before Christmas and one can already download the manual, so the specifications are pretty much known at this point.

Did you get the impression from Allan that the "before the end of December" date would be a launch date or would it be a start shipping date, which would require that they are already producing hardware at this point?

post #49 of 476 Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM

I was talking to the site administrator and he said the date has been moved to the end of January at the latest. He's hoping earlier.

Ark Ark Ark
post #50 of 476 Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully to include more functions per request.

post #51 of 476 Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Nice feature.
2. The 2 feeds should allow the tuner to seamlessly tune to either OTA or QAM simultaneously.
How will the device handle QAM IF PSIP data is not included by the cable provider and it doesnt have a "premium" EPG?
3. Useless feature/cost.
4. Good - Dont need any more bricks.
5. Big mistake to not provide internal storage.
Maybe they are afraid of liability with consumers shocking themselves while installing an internal HDD?
What precisely are the filesystems it will natively write / read?
The device really should have the ability to format the HDD.

I will say that CM with dual tuners seems like a much nicer more polished product.
Seems like these guys dont really even know what they want to offer or what the users want in features.
Come on a single tuner with only PSIP-this isnt 2001 anymore.

BTW-Their website takes forever to load.

Quote:

Ok, here is the latest direct from the horses mouth. In no particular order;
Allen is hoping by the end of the month. Looks like a crap shoot for them and CM to see which is first. The current delay is firmware tweaking (he called it software). The hardware has been already tested. One sticky point is the EPG. He/they understand the limitations PSIP, but want to offer a reasonable priced service.

The unit will look like the 8VX (a 205 tuner in black and a similar front panel layout), a metal case, not plastic that was what is shown for the eZ1. This is a huge improvement since that other prototype looked like a $30 converter box;
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxmain.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxside.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxfront.htm
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxback.htm

It will have:
1. The A/V switcher provision and upscaler built in (like the 8VX). This puts this in a major step league,,
2. Two RF inputs with separate memories for ATSC & QAM for a total of four memory banks (I really can't see the benefit here even after he explained it to me),
3. A NTSC tuner, but only for live viewing,
4. A conventional AC power cord, no 'brick',
5. Two USB ports for external HDD's, but NO provision for an internal drive. (A big mistake AFAIC). Since this will be a 'media reader' it will be able to read most HDD's.

It won't have;
A. Provisions for a internal HDD even though there appears to be enough room. This is a major mistake. Period. I understand the advantage of external storage, but at least allow placement on a internal HDD with the ability not to install one,
B. A CC slot with provision for a 'modem interface' for SDV systems, either with the 1st or the 2nd version due to complexity and lack of interest, unless they can be shown there actually is interest here. ( hint, hint),
C. An encoder to record analog channels due to cost (an additional $40 was the estimate),
D. The ability to format a HDD from the DVR. That has to be done through a PC (if I understood him correctly),
E. The ability to directly interface with a PC (USB to USB).

The first version will only have a PSIP EPG, but through firmware upgrades a full guide will be available as a option (like the CM) in future versions. The customer will deal directly with the supplier for the subscription. The projected cost should be around $25 a year.
They are in negotiations with Internet 'streaming' services, but no Netflix due to Netflix. (Netflix too large, they are too small and the fact Netflix isn't in the best of financial condition)

Would you believe I forgot to ask about price?

post #52 of 476 Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2. The 2 feeds should allow the tuner to seamlessly tune to either OTA or QAM simultaneously.

Should, but doubtful. I would guess it will be switchable.
Quote:

3. Useless feature/cost.

Not so if the ability to record is provided.
Quote:

How will the device handle QAM IF PSIP data is not included by the cable provider and it doesnt have a "premium" EPG?

I will assume manual recording VCR style.
Quote:

5. Big mistake to not provide internal storage.

I'm trying and have tried to stress this to them.
Quote:

Maybe they are afraid of liability with consumers shocking themselves while installing an internal HDD?

Doubtful. Cost and possibly space since that case has limited height. I don't know if the existing PS has 5 & 12 volt rails for a HDD. Also, there is the SATA interface & connectors to deal with.
Quote:

What precisely are the filesystems it will natively write / read?

That wasn't clear.
Quote:

The device really should have the ability to format the HDD.

That also adds to the cost. Not having an internal HDD, as long as the drive can be formatted from a PC, most could do without this. BUT, that makes it a more advanced unit, surely not for Joe Sixpack.

post #53 of 476 Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should, but doubtful. I would guess it will be switchable.Not so if the ability to record is provided.I will assume manual recording VCR style.I'm trying and have tried to stress this to them.Doubtful. Cost and possibly space since that case has limited height. I don't know if the existing PS has 5 & 12 volt rails for a HDD. Also, there is the SATA interface & connectors to deal with.That wasn't clear.That also adds to the cost. Not having an internal HDD, as long as the drive can be formatted from a PC, most could do without this. BUT, that makes it a more advanced unit, surely not for Joe Sixpack.

Surely they can fit a 2.5 inch HDD inside that case, and sata connectors and power cannot be that difficult or costly to add.

If the device has to be formatted on a PC, then people will likely format to NTFS, and therefore they will have to license a NTFS driver from someone like Tuxera for write support, and the cost is there already and formatting on the unit would not add any additional cost. I sure as god hope they dont fall back on fat filesystems. Fat is superbly suited to recording 8 Gb/hour ts's!
post #54 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I sent a e-mail to Allan over two weeks ago and just received a reply. (There was a model name change that I wasn't aware of.) My e-mail first;
Quote:

Hello Allen,

Per our phone conversation, I would like to recap as much as I can remember starting with the positives,

First and foremost, it was a very wise decision to use your existing metal case (in black I hope) you have used for the 205 & the 8VX. That sorry looking converter box case would of never made it to first base.
Second, including two RF inputs is only common sense. I don't understand why the rest of Asia doesn't seem to understand having the ability of two different sources of TV; OTA and CATV is only good if there are two inputs. Nickel and dimeing things to death.
Third, including an internal power supply. I hate cutting corners starting with an external 'brick' power supply.
Forth, eventually offering a reasonable priced, enhanced Guide (but see below).

What I don't like and my continuing 'pet peeves' are as follows;

1. No provision for an internal HDD. I understand external storage, but at least let a customer add a HDD internally if he only wants a DVR, no bells & whistles. That can't add that much to the cost! Tacking on another box (enclosure) next to or on top of the DVR with another power supply somewhere (depending on the HDD enclosure) adds complexity where it wasn't needed if you have no interest in external storage. Would a automobile manufacture even consider a external gas tank (other than the obvious safety issue)?

2. No CC slot with interface for a CATV provided SDV modem. I understand this a major expense, but without this, the ONLY recording one could do from cable TV will be local OTA stations that are available with a outdoor antenna. This brings up the argument, why bother with CATV at all?? You might of just offer OTA, save the 2nd RF input and tuner.

3. The initial lack of a decent program guide is a real problem. You offer a step up A/V switcher and scaler, but skimp on the Guide. This does not make sense. The Guide should be basic in this day and age. The scaler/switcher should be a step up. I would bet most would rather have the full Guide than the switcher/scaler. I for one would have no use for the switcher. Loose those and give me an analog encoder.

Now some additional questions,
1. We never talked about price. Any idea of the target price yet?
2. The HDD can't be formatted from the DVR, it has to be formatted through a PC, correct?
3. Hot swapping drives. Is this possible? Can the device remember more than one drive or won't that matter? Does it treat each drive as a separate set of folders unlike a conventional TiVo type of DVR?
4. You mentioned FAT32 formatting, how about NTFS?
5. Remote control codes. What/who do they mimic? Most users will be using a 3rd party programming remote, not the included remote.
6. How about USB memory sticks?
7. USB output (or something else) to a PC?
8. I looked at the owners manual for the 8VX. I see that the on screen menu is very similar to the 205 that I have. Is the tuner setup (scanning) the same?

Bruce
Buffalo NY

Now his response along with a rear panel photo. I emphasized some of his reply in bold text. Also note all of the inputs and the ability of formatting to 'ext2.
Quote:

Hi Bruce,

First, I want to thank you for your email and phone call. And sorry for the late reply. I will try to answer your questions and comments in the following. But allow me to briefly describe some features of our PHD-VRX unit starting from input/output connections.

As you probably know, our PVR model has renamed to PHD-VRX, Full HD 1080p Dual Tuner Digital HDTV Recorder, Receiver and Media Center Box! Here is the picture from the rear side:

Size: 14.2” (W) x 9” (L) x 2” (H)

(1) Two tuner inputs (RF1 and RF2).
a. RF1 (Tuner#1) is an ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner so you can use tuner#1 to receive and watch digital channels as well as analog channels.
b. RF2 (Tuner#2) is an ATSC/QAM tuner to receive digital only channels.
c. For recording purpose, PHD-VRX is focusing on digital channel recording, not for analog channels. Consider analog channels are a bonus for viewing purpose since many local cable companies still carry analog channels through their basic service.
d. By connecting two physical RF signals to two tuners, you can:
i. Recording digital channel on one tuner and watch live program on 2nd tuner.
ii. Recording digital channel on one tuner and doing “live-pause/time-shifting” on current watched channel from 2nd tuner.
iii. Possibly recording two channels from two tuners in the same time depending on USB partition and access speed.
iv. “live-pause or time-shifting” on current watched channel from any tuner.
(2) Two USB 2.0 ports.
a. Any one of USB ports can be used to connect to USB HDD or USB Flash stick for recording TV shows.
b. Any one of USB ports can be used to connect to USB HDD or USB Flash stick for full-featured HD media player (so you don’t need additional media player unit anymore!).
c. Both USB ports are master USB ports, which can’t be used to connect to PC.
d. For recording purpose, PHD-VRX can record TV shows on either Linux ext2 or NTFS partition format on USB HDD or USB stick.
e. For play back media files, PHD-VRX can read and play many media files from either ext2, NTFS or FAT32 format.
f. PHD-VRX has built-in menu function to (1) format USB w/ ext2, (2) test USB speed and (3) Show status on current USB HDD or Flash stick.
g. USB crash protection to prevent suddenly USB unplug or power off during recording.
(3) VGA (RGB) and Audio input port. Support varies of PC video resolutions as well as combined “scale window” feature to adjust video screen H and V positions and sizes.
(4) HDMI input port. Fully support 1.3 and currently no 1.4 pass through.
(5) Composite video input port. PHD-VRX has built-in up-scale (up to 1080p) feature and enhance composite video on HDMI output.
(6) Component (YPbPr) video input port. PHD-VRX can also up-scale (up to 1080p) and enhance component video.
(7) Ethernet port.
a. Home networking media server supported.
b. On-line video streaming option.
(8) Composite video (CVBS) output port. Simultaneously output composite video with HDMI output.
(9) HDMI output port. PHD-VRX provides, 480p, 720p, 1080p output resolution options.
(10) Optical Digital audio output.

There are also many other advanced features can be accessed from on-screen menu as well as remote control unit. We will release these functions very soon.

To respond your email:
· Yes, PHD-VRX has two physical tuners built inside of the unit, not just one tuner inside splitting to two RF signals.
· The unit size is same as our PHD-8VX and PHD-205LE and come with black metal case covered by protection thin film.
· Same as our PHD-8VX and PHD-205LE, it includes internal switching power supply with AC 110V cord connected to outside AC outlet.

1. Either internal HDD or external USB HDD has pros and cons. For us, to choose external USB HDD or flash stick is really based on both current hardware design and recording flexibility. Imagine you can connect 2TB or 3TB HDD and leave it there continuously recording forever (at least long long time). That will be very nice! Also if people already use their media player daily with external USB device, then it will be natural for them to use our product. For simplicity, people can also consider just plug, say 8GB USB flash stick, which won’t cost too much, into PHD-VRX USB port. 8GB storage can normally record HD (1080i/720p) show for a good one hour. People can just leave this USB flash stick in the back of PHD-VRX and keep recording shows over and over again. It is very easy to do.
2. Sorry, no CA (Conditional Access) slot for this model. It will take time to implement. We will consider it on future products.
3. Full feature EPG is on the way as I mentioned last time. Once working, we will release new firmware upgrade to our customers.

1. Our retail target price is around US$249 or less. For pre-registered customers, we will send out special coupon code before release this product. Even by adding additional low cost external HDD (say 350GB storage size), it is still much less expensive than other competitors!
2. PHD-VRX on-screen menu provides the USB utility tools to allow customer directly formatting their USB HDD with ext2 format. ext2 format is a Linux based HDD format, which is our preferred choice and USB access speed will be significantly improved. For recording, PHD-VRX can record TV shows on either ext2 or NTFS format. FAT32 can’t write file size over 4 GB so we don’t use that because a lot of video frame drops will be occurred between two files on FAT32 format.
3. You can plug or unplug HDD anytime without turn off the unit, which I called it hot-swapping. Even during recording, you can unplug HDD. Screen will show message and unit will stop recording but system won’t crash and will running as usual.
4. PHD-VRX can playback video, audio and picture files from HDD with FAT32, or NTFS or ext2 format.
5. Remote control codes. Yes, we understand that will work on it.
6. Yes, we support USB memory stick. So far the requirement, USB memory stick size has to be over 640MB. Otherwise, it won’t work.
7. PHD-VRX USB ports are USB master ports so it can’t connect a PC.
8. We greatly improved the on-screen menu display and functions. In our opinion, it will be much much better than current PHD-8VX on-screen menu implementations in every way!!

Thanks again!

Support Team, Allen
ePVision.com

LL

post #55 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I see why it was a long response time. He outdid himself on the reply.
I think most should admit, not too many manufactures would spend the time on a response as this.

In spite of no internal HDD and no enhanced guide (as of yet), for $250 retail, what do you think? $50 less than the projected price drop of that other unit.

I'm not too sure what to make of these inputs. Is that or any real value? Lastly, formatting to ext2. Why not NTFS?

post #56 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see why it was a long response time. He outdid himself on the reply.
I think most should admit, not too many manufactures would spend the time on a response as this.

In spite of no internal HDD and no enhanced guide (as of yet), for $250 retail, what do you think? $50 less than the projected price drop of that other unit.

I'm not too sure what to make of these inputs. Is that or any real value? Lastly, formatting to ext2. Why not NTFS?

The inputs are pretty much useless.

Furthermore, the value added they consider for being a media player is IMO also useless. I suspect folks already have a media streamer/player like (like a Dune) and this device likely will not be able to stand up with the big boys and be a good media player. Also that bring up another question, what codec & container combos are supported? DVD rips / BD rips / mkv's / mpeh2 / VC1 / AVC / blah-blah-blah?

Their choice of ext2 instead of ext3 is perplexing, especially considering the hot-swap capability. If you format as ext2 and are in the middle of recording (writing) and unplug the drive, do you lose or corrupt the recording? Ext2 has to journal like ext3/ntfs, so not sure why they picked ext2?

Ask them if they have licnsed a NTFS driver from someone like Tuxera, or are relying on the linux open source NTFS code. We absolutely need rock solid NTFS support, and this should be the default filesystem so that folks can actually see whats on the external HDD when connected to a (presumably windows) computer.

Also ask them how the recordings will be stored on the HDD. Standard transport streams, or some silly encrypted proprietary container.

First and foremost, this thing is a DVR IMO. So to be successfull in the market it needs to excel in the DVR functionality.
That means an internal hard drive (which they can also support an external HDD too) with reliable, easy to use guide and scheduling.
All this other crap they bolt on to "add value" just detracts from the core functionality and makes it look like a gimmich product and that they dont really know what to manufacture.
post #57 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

About the name: Including Recorder in there implies it can actually record out of the box, which it cannot since it does not have any storage internal or external, and it really is just a dual tuner device. Sorry to nitpick, but I wonder if any non-tech consumer will buy one off Amazon only to find out it cannot record after taking it out of the box and post negative reviews?
post #58 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have stressed the importance of an internal HDD for sometime.
Problem is, if I am the only one, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

YOU should make the call and voice your opinions! Make the call!

As far as the formats, I'm not familiar with any of the Linux formats (or anything else for that matter). I did ask about having a license for NTFS.

Regarding streaming media capibility, read my sig.

post #59 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have stressed the importance of an internal HDD for sometime.
Problem is, if I am the only one, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

YOU should make the call and voice your opinions! Make the call!

As far as the formats, I'm not familiar with any of the Linux formats (or anything else for that matter). I did ask about having a license for NTFS.

Regarding streaming media capibility, read my sig.

I cant call them cause their webpage never actually loads fully so I cannot get their phone number or email.
Not very reassuring.
post #60 of 476 Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This doesn't load??;
http://epvision.com/epVcontact/contactus.htm

(714) 630-6839

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page