post #181 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I think I may have an idea of where the problem lies. First, MPEG-2 video can be delivered in one of two ways, either through a Program Stream or a Transport Stream. The PS format is used for reliable data delivery methods, like DVD, where errors aren't likely to occur. The TS format is essentially a wrapper that's placed around multiple PS files and gives them robust error correction so that they can be broadcast over the air and still play with a reasonable level of reliability.

The PHD-VRX is likely being designed to strip the individual PS you want to watch out of the TS wrapper, rather than saving the entire TS. The benefit of this would be a potential reduction in file size of maybe 20% at most, or a little over 1 GiB saved per hour of recording time. The downside is that closed captions contained within the MPEG-2 Picture User Data are probably part of the TS, so removing the wrapper to save space also strips the captions. As such, Allan's response was probably just worded poorly. It's not that the PHD-VRX strips captions to save space; it strips the TS wrapper to save space, and the captions are a casualty of that process.

The only ways to fix the problem would be to either record the raw TS and not save any space or to rip the PS and CC data from the TS at the same time and save the captions to an SRT file automatically.

It may also be worth noting that the storage of PS data may be more problematic in another area, depending on how it's implemented. The robust error correction in the TS wrapper is what allows the picture and audio to resume perfectly synchronized after a momentary drop in signal strength or other transmission error/interference causes a program to have brief audio/video errors.

Without the error correction provided by the TS wrapper, the show would likely have serious A/V desynchronization after any interruption to its broadcast signal. If the PHD-VRX doesn't save the full TS data, it will need to be designed carefully to make sure that it's saving the PS data correctly. If it doesn't, it could potentially be saving corrupt files, and a DVR that saves desynchronized (but small!) files isn't going to be very popular. This is one of those times where controlled laboratory test conditions don't really help much. Hopefully this DVR will be tested in areas with poor reception to ensure that it still records shows correctly.

TS packets actually contain PES packets as per ISO 13818. CC takes up so little space its silly if they used the excuse of saving storage space.
What 9000 bits/second?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

TS packets actually contain PES packets as per ISO 13818. CC takes up so little space its silly if they used the excuse of saving storage space.
What 9000 bits/second?

If the station is sending both EIA-608 and CEA-708 captions (which AFAIK should be the case), it should require a "whopping" 9600 bps total for both.

I think the problem is that the CC data can only exist as part of the full TS, and if you extract only the PS data for the show you're recording (discarding the TS error correction, PSIP information, and potentially other sub-channels) to save space, the CC data gets stripped, too. Then again, DVD PS data contains captions, so one would think that there's a way to re-integrate the CC data with the extracted PS data.

That might be accomplished by converting the captions to a DVD subtitle format, but trying to remux the PS and CC data into a VOB container while recording is probably too complex for a DVR like this to handle. If nothing else, it would double the number of read and write operations on the HDD and shorten its lifespan, unless the DVR had enough memory to do an on-the-fly conversion and write the VOB file directly.

IMO, the easiest way to handle the process would be to dump the captions as an external SRT with the same name as the PS file for each recorded program. If the DVR is already going to the trouble of stripping the individual PS out of the station's TS, it shouldn't require much more overhead to strip and export the captions, too.
post #183 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It seems it was an attempt to come up with an explanation not having CC, something most would understand.

I think Aleron's post should be a FAQ sticky of some kind.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #184 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Since I never use CC, how about the DTVPal, their replacement and old faithful, the Sony?
How do those handle CC?

The Funai/Maggy records the entire TS, doesn't it?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #185 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Since I never use CC, how about the DTVPal, their replacement and old faithful, the Sony?
How do those handle CC?

The Funai/Maggy records the entire TS, doesn't it?

The Sony DHG handles it. The Mag/Funai information is in post #1 of that thread.
post #186 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think Aleron's post should be a FAQ sticky of some kind.

My post is definitely not authoritative; I can only speculate on what's going on with the PHD-VRX. Someone needs to get a straight answer from the tech support guy before the case can be considered closed. Alternatively, someone can just wait for the box to go on sale, buy one, and then examine it.
post #187 of 476 Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It's not easy to have digital CC. If it was easy everyone would do it and have a button on the remote (like my Sony TV).

The DTVPal DVR has it, as does it's sister product from Channel Master. And so does the new Channel Master 7400, so it is certainly not that hard to support CC in a digital DVR.
post #188 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My post is definitely not authoritative; I can only speculate on what's going on with the PHD-VRX.

It's surely a far better response that what I received (no offense to Allen).
I will guess, since this is based on their 'media switcher' that might have limitations in it's design that has unfortunately affected this for recording. (Long shot I know.)

post #189 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

The DTVPal DVR has it, as does it's sister product from Channel Master. And so does the new Channel Master 7400, so it is certainly not that hard to support CC in a digital DVR.

If you reverse my statement you can probably guess how I really feel. But I try to play nice.
post #190 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's not a deal breaker and I'm sure there are issues or it wouldn't be a issue in the 1st place.

It could be worse, they could charge $15 a month for the required subscription for a program guide.

post #191 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not a deal breaker and I'm sure there are issues or it wouldn't be one in the 1st place.

It could be worse, they could charge $15 a month for the required subscription for a program guide.

I'll probably regret this.

How can something that doesn't exist be in the 1st place of anything?
post #192 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

FWIW, I received this yesterday (truncated);

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your email today and this one!
Regarding your questions:

We actually are not just some engineers doing our designs in the oversea location by ourselves. In fact, all our key engineers worked for US design firms, US side TV manufacturers and EPG companies for many years (10 years+ at least). We are really good what we are.
Again, many thanks for your comments and even for today's email.

Support Team, Allen
ePVision.com

videobruce,
Sorry if this goes back a ways, but it just seemed Allen was slightly defensive in his response saying "we are really good what we are". I guess that means they are good at what they do?
Maybe I am reading it out of context or being that English is not his first language, it seems your suggestions are not being considered any longer. I really feel that your input to them was invaluable and if they did not take it seriously that is a huge mistake.
Did they ever even hint at the possibility of you being a beta tester?
If manufacturers did more research on what people really want, instead of building what they "think" they want, they might have a successful product.
Anyway, I just feel they should have seized your willingness to help them deliver a device that could overcome the weaknesses that other companies spew out half baked. They could have got a wealth of info for free just by asking questions on this forum.
post #193 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

If manufacturers did more research on what people really want, instead of building what they "think" they want, they might have a successful product.

If you're a genius like Steve Jobs, you think far ahead and build what people need even though they don't know it yet. If you're a just a normal, competent engineer, it's usually a good idea to do some market research.
post #194 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How can something that doesn't exist be in the 1st place of anything?

Poor wording on may part. Corrected text.

post #195 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the station is sending both EIA-608 and CEA-708 captions (which AFAIK should be the case), it should require a "whopping" 9600 bps total for both.

I think the problem is that the CC data can only exist as part of the full TS, and if you extract only the PS data for the show you're recording (discarding the TS error correction, PSIP information, and potentially other sub-channels) to save space, the CC data gets stripped, too. Then again, DVD PS data contains captions, so one would think that there's a way to re-integrate the CC data with the extracted PS data.

That might be accomplished by converting the captions to a DVD subtitle format, but trying to remux the PS and CC data into a VOB container while recording is probably too complex for a DVR like this to handle. If nothing else, it would double the number of read and write operations on the HDD and shorten its lifespan, unless the DVR had enough memory to do an on-the-fly conversion and write the VOB file directly.

IMO, the easiest way to handle the process would be to dump the captions as an external SRT with the same name as the PS file for each recorded program. If the DVR is already going to the trouble of stripping the individual PS out of the station's TS, it shouldn't require much more overhead to strip and export the captions, too.

No-they are not saving the stream as a program stream. They will simply filter the ts to a partial transport stream, only saving what they want and discarding the null packets and anything else they dont want. That is how all these recorders work. They always have to handle transmission errors, which ts is designed to handle, so converting to program stream would be stupid and introduce synch problems and such.

Then again, when this product ceases to be vaporware someone will be able to connect a hard drive, make some recordings, then connect the drive to a computer and determine precisely what they are actually doing to the ts, hopefully not molesting it? Someone with TSReader would be able to quickly determine what is in the files.
post #196 of 476 Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then again, when this product ceases to be vaporware someone will be able to connect a hard drive, make some recordings, then connect the drive to a computer and determine precisely what they are actually doing to the ts, hopefully not molesting it? Someone with TSReader would be able to quickly determine what is in the files.

Quote:

Alternatively, someone can just wait for the box to go on sale, buy one, and then examine it.

My thoughts exactly. It looks like the manufacturer isn't going to give a straight answer, so the only way to figure out what's going on is for someone to analyze the DVR output manually. Whether this thing will ever come out and allow someone to do that is another question.
post #197 of 476 Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
I wonder how far this unit will be from being DLNA compatible? The quick guide only mentions online video streaming capable.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #198 of 476 Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post

I wonder how far this unit will be from being DLNA compatible?

My guess is that it won't be certified, as DLNA certification requires the hardware vendor to implement DRM to prevent data copying. DLNA devices use DTCP/5C to control users' access to the data, and since the PHD-VRX seems to be fairly lenient and isn't even encrypting its recordings, it probably won't qualify for DLNA.
post #199 of 476 Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I am very interested in this PHD-VRX unit since it has two RF inputs with dual tuners for ATSC/QAM viewing. 99% of my TV viewing is Blu-ray discs on my high-end display. The display I own has no built in tuners. The only other external digital tuner box on the market that offers a dual RF input is the older TIVO boxes. The new TIVO Premiere Elite does not have an ATSC tuner but instead 4 QAM tuners with 1 RF input. I have considered paying around $749-$800 for a TIVO Premiere XL with a lifetime subscription but since 99% of my TV viewing is 1080P Blu-ray discs it might be a waste of money for me. Also once one adds an external 2TB hard drive to the TIVO Premiere XL with lifetime subscription they are looking at around $1,000. I am disappointed that the TIVO boxes still do not offer video on demand and the widget GUI interface for caller ID on screen, the cable boxes one rents from the cable company offers those features. The cable companies still have a monopoly on offering the only boxes that access all the programming and GUI widgets like caller ID on screen. I prefer owning my own equipment but my other family member rents a Motorola HD DVR digital cable box with two tuners that allows one to plug in a 2TB eSATA hard drive. Of course, the digital cable boxes that the cable companies offer for rent are still not available at retail stores yet.

Since 99% of my viewing is Blu-ray discs than this PHD-VRX Digital video recorder for around $199 after discount coupon might be ideal for me. I might purchase this unit over a TIVO. The two RF inputs with dual ATSC/QAM tuner are ideal for those consumers that have two cable companies. In my area both Verizon FIOS and Comcast are available. Verizon FIOS is 100% digital QAM with only the local HD and SD channels in clear QAM. Some cable company’s use NTSC still for a few channels but in a few years most cable companies will slowly drop NTSC and offer 100% digital QAM like Verizon in order to increase virtual bandwidth (Also MPEG-4,IP, and switched digital video channels are other options to increase virtual bandwidth). So my point is since Verizon FIOS is 100% digital QAM, I do not have any use for a tuner box that offers NTSC.

Most people are not going to subscribe to 2 cable companies at once to take advantage of the dual channel QAM maps in the PHD-VRX Digital video recorder. I plan on using the PHD-VRX with my existing attic TV antenna and the Verizon FIOS clear QAM channels. It will be nice to switch back and forth between unencrypted clear QAM and ATSC local broadcasts with a push of a button on the remote. A few years ago flat screens in general stopped offering HDTV’s with a built in RF A/B switch in order to save cost. The Verizon FIOS clear QAM local channels are bit for bit the same as the MPEG-2 master broadcast. Most cable companies over compress their digital channels including locals, which is why ATSC local channels sometimes looks better than QAM local channels.

If this PHD-VRX is released within 30 days I plan on trying it out. If I like it, I will keep it. If I do not like it I might end up going with the TIVO Premiere Elite XL for $749-$800+ which includes a lifetime subscription (Then I will need to rent an M cable card for $3.99 per month in order to use the TIVO). The TIVO does not offer IEEE-1394 interface like the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta cable boxes one rents from the cable companies around the United States. IEEE-1394 is ideal for D-VHS and possibly for future standalone Blu-ray recorders for bit for bit recording,

Some consumers might not like the PHD-VRX lacking an internal hard drive and requiring an external hard drive to be used. The one advantage of having the optional hard drive being external is that the PHD-VRX might last longer since it will run cooler. HD DVR’s sometimes get very hot with internal hard drives. I wish the PHD-VRX had an eSATA port instead of a USB port. All HD DVR’s I have seen for satellite and cable use esata ports, it is odd that feature is not offered on the box.

PHD-VRX Digital video recorder might be released soon

(The hardware and retail box has been finished but firmware is still being tested)

Over the last few days I have been in an email conversation with the sales team at EpVision.com. They informed me that the PHD-VRX will have a dual RF input with a dual channel maps for the two ATSC/QAM tuners (A few years ago I suggested that feature to them; it looks like it is going to become a reality finally). The sales rep also informed me that the PHD-VRX should be ready for sale within one month. The suggested retail price on the PHD-VRX will be $229 but will be offered for $199 after the $30 discount coupon is applied for those customers that are registered. I was also informed that the hardware is finished and the retail box is finished. The firmware is currently being tested before the product is released.

The following are a few quotes from the ePVision.com email conversations

Thank you very much for your emails. We will release this product, now renamed to PHD-VRX, Full HD 1080p Dual Tuner Digital HDTV Recorder, Receiver and Media Center Box! within one month. The retail price will be $229. For those registered customers, there will be $30 discount coupon sent out very soon. Also, we do have volume discount. Kindly let us know the qty. you may like to order later on so we can offer better deal. Thanks.”

We will be contacting you very soon to send you an order link from our web store so you can order it directly.”

PHD-VRX production unit is hardware final. Firmware is either the final or close to the final. In fact, Firmware upgrading is on-going business. We will continue to release new firmware for PHD-VRX."

“Production unit has everything ready, which has retail box, Quick start guide, HDMI 1.4 cable, remote control and battery. Operation manual will be released on-line.

"Yes, PHD-VRX has two physical tuners. Each tuner can store two channel listing (ATSC and QAM). Each tuner has its own separate programming Guide.”
post #200 of 476 Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Production unit has everything ready, which has retail box, Quick start guide, HDMI 1.4 cable, remote control and battery.

Operation manual will be released on-line.

"Yes, PHD-VRX has two physical tuners. Each tuner can store two channel listing (ATSC and QAM). Each tuner has its own separate programming Guide.

I hope you are right. It should be an interesting tuner. I look forward to reading the manual.
post #201 of 476 Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I hope you are right. It should be an interesting tuner. I look forward to reading the manual.

I also hope the sales department gave me correct information. Once the PDF manual is finished, I also am looking forward to reading the manual. A while ago I tried the Bright-View BV-980H single tuner ATSC/QAM tuner HD DVR with single RF input. The box was around $199 at Amazon. It had so many bugs in the software that I was thinking about sending it back. Then the Bright View BV-980H completely broke in less than 30 days so I sent it back to Amazon for a refund. I am currently without a tuner in one room.

The recording feature is not that important to me. The most important feature for me on the PHD-VRX and the older TIVO boxes is the dual RF inputs with dual channel maps. Being able to connect an external hard drive to the PHD-VRX to turn it into a HD DVR is a bonus feature.
post #202 of 476 Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also MPEG-4,IP, and switched digital video channels are other options to increase virtual bandwidth

and making consumer owned equipment incompatible.

post #203 of 476 Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They informed me that the PHD-VRX will have a dual RF input with a dual channel maps for the two ATSC/QAM tuners

That has been posted some time ago.
Quote:

The suggested retail price on the PHD-VRX will be $229 but will be offered for $199 after the $30 discount coupon is applied for those customers that are registered. I was also informed that the hardware is finished and the retail box is finished. The firmware is currently being tested before the product is released.

That has been posted at least twice.

post #204 of 476 Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[size=3][font=Calibri]
PHD-VRX production unit is hardware final. Firmware is either the final or close to the final. In fact, Firmware upgrading is on-going business. We will continue to release new firmware for PHD-VRX."

The hardware has been done for many months I bet. They very likely buy a design from Broadcom / Sigma and add a pretty case and custom firmware.
The biggest problem is that they have been working on this firmware for a long time, though it is good that they have restrained themselves from releasing a half baked product with immature firmware and "promise" firmware updates after taking the consumers cash.

Quote:

“Production unit has everything ready, which has retail box, Quick start guide, HDMI 1.4 cable, remote control and battery. Operation manual will be released on-line.

Production ready means the firmware is final. When are CE companies going to realize this again? Firmware updates are now "easy" with network connections and companies use this convenience excuse to release half baked product to the marketplace to cash in as early as possible. Before ~2000 companies could not rely on downloadable firmware and were forced to keep up quality control before unleashing a steaming pile into consumers hands. Customers didnt like to have to send their hardware back to the CEM for firmware updates, which is how it used to be and would cost the CEM's a ton in warranty/service costs.

Quote:

"Yes, PHD-VRX has two physical tuners. Each tuner can store two channel listing (ATSC and QAM). Each tuner has its own separate programming Guide.”

I wonder if either tuner can operate as either QAM or ATSC like Tivo's can? That would be cool.
post #205 of 476 Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if either tuner can operate as either QAM or ATSC like Tivo's can? That would be cool.

Probably like the old Sony DHG. You can plug your "cable" into either rf input and scan for channels. Do that for each port and you get two identical lineups.

Of course, then you have to wipe them both and do it right. If the ANT input was really just 8VSB it would stop at 69. If the CABLE was really only QAM it would stop at 158. Firmware must figure out if the freqency is 800MHz it's OTA 69 and if it's 493.25 it must be cable 69. Neat trick and I look forward to seeing how well they do it. The CM7400 didn't do it so well for me.

If updates are available via the internet that would be a nice service.
post #206 of 476 Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry if this is old news. Did anyone see the video of the time-shifting function that epvstore posted on youtube yet? I can't post the link because I'm a new forum member (3 posts req'd). But it's easy to find if you google "epvstore phd-vrx"

I only heard about it via the press release, but personally, I'm super excited for this thing to come out. I'm obsessively checking their website for updates and waiting for that coupon to show up.

(p.s. i swear i don't work for them or anything like that. i'm just excited to have a decent pvr option that also doesn't cost $400.)
post #207 of 476 Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agothacles View Post

Sorry if this is old news. Did anyone see the video of the time-shifting function that epvstore posted on youtube yet? I can't post the link because I'm a new forum member (3 posts req'd). But it's easy to find if you google "epvstore phd-vrx"

I only heard about it via the press release, but personally, I'm super excited for this thing to come out. I'm obsessively checking their website for updates and waiting for that coupon to show up.

(p.s. i swear i don't work for them or anything like that. i'm just excited to have a decent pvr option that also doesn't cost $400.)

Might not be a coupon, just a discount code like was just done with the 8VX.

I figure it might make Black Friday.

I'm sure you don't work for them. Don't worry.
post #208 of 476 Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by agothacles View Post

Here is the link you wanted to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izek7jwVO74
post #209 of 476 Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Amazing, they have time for this nonsense, but can't put a photo or owners manual up on their web site.
This includes the six other u-boob entries listed under their store;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ePVstore

post #210 of 476 Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Also kinda funny, it looks like the video they recorded was hooked up via component with the red/blue signals swapped.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page