Verizon Fios Motorola 7232 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 479 Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I apparently had 1.9 pushed to me in VA Beach last night. I haven't seen it yet but my wife said everything looked different today. I recieved the email announcement late last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 479 Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thksnow View Post

Has anyone else in the DC area received an email about 1.9 coming soon? I have not received an email about it, but I'm hopeful that it won't be too much longer. I'm already hoping to get a good deal on a 2TB external hard drive with eSATA on Black Friday.

Got 1.9 this morning!!
post #363 of 479 Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Has anyone in the greater Washington DC area (DC/VA/MD) received 1.9 yet? I'm in No. VA and haven't gotten it yet, unfortunately.

Yes
post #364 of 479 Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

We're in Annapolis, MD and got 1.9 overnight.
YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #365 of 479 Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM

I also got 1.9 sometime last night (No. VA). I checked it out this morning before going to work. I don't really like the color scheme, but I'm sure we'll get use to it.

Now I need to get a 2TB external hard drive with eSata interface. Can I really wait until Black Friday??? From some searching I've done on Newegg and Amazon, there really aren't that many off the shelf external drives in that size that have eSata interfaces. There seem to be a fair number of external hard drive cases that come with it, however. I'm thinking about buying the drive separately, since there seem to many deals on the bare 2TB drive.

Any recommendations from those of you that have had 1.9 for a while and have added an external drive?
post #366 of 479 Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I played around with 1.9 a little last night and I really don't see anything that I don't like. For me the color combo is fine - no problems with contrast really. I have 2 DVRs and I was able to activate the multi-hub feature so now I have access to all recorded content on both units from every STB in the house. I haven't tried it yet but I understand I should also be able to delete recordings from non-DVR STB units now too - that wasn't possible previously.
post #367 of 479 Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Plenty of good info here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r260...work-with-1.9-

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26334392-esata-storage

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r257...al-Hard-Drive-

Quote:

I also got 1.9 sometime last night (No. VA). I checked it out this morning before going to work. I don't really like the color scheme, but I'm sure we'll get use to it.

Now I need to get a 2TB external hard drive with eSata interface. Can I really wait until Black Friday??? From some searching I've done on Newegg and Amazon, there really aren't that many off the shelf external drives in that size that have eSata interfaces. There seem to be a fair number of external hard drive cases that come with it, however. I'm thinking about buying the drive separately, since there seem to many deals on the bare 2TB drive.

Any recommendations from those of you that have had 1.9 for a while and have added an external drive?

post #368 of 479 Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Does 1.9 make any changes in the 7232's rendition of video?
post #369 of 479 Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
For SD there is a Video sharpness setting within 1.9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Does 1.9 make any changes in the 7232's rendition of video?

post #370 of 479 Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Perfect. Thanks for the links! Your right that there is lots of good info there.
post #371 of 479 Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

What is everyone recording and storing that requires 2TB? I have a pair of DVRs with 500GB drives and with 20+ HD shows on each I've only ever been 40-60% full. With a sinle DVR you are limited to recording 2 shows at any given time so it would be tough to rack up enough content unless you go out of town for a couple weeks and never clear anything off - or unless you never delete stuff after watching.

With 1.9 and 2 DVRs you get 4 tuners and access to everything on any STB in the house. It might be a better investment to add another DVR than to add an extrnal drive - you get more storage space and more flexibility in what you can record. Sooner or later the monthly fee would out-pace the cost of a 2TB drive but you are still getting additional benefits. Just a thought.

Quote:

Now I need to get a 2TB external hard drive with eSata interface.

post #372 of 479 Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

I just got FIOS installed yesterday. The tech shows up with my 2 DVRs, but thye're both QIP-6416 (1st gen HD/DVR 160GB), which, according to dslreports, are phased out except for occasional refurbs only." The installation tech says that's all he's had for weeks and I have to call the compnay. I did, while he was still working, and the reps said there aren't any 500 gb DVRs available anywhere in the U.S. I asked him if the stores had them. He, and his supervisor, said no. If they did, the installers would too. He told me to complain to Motorola because they're not making them, and Verizon has been out of them for months. He told me to go on the Verizon web site and put my name on the waiting list.

Thanks to this site, I knew that what they were telling me wasn't true. I called my local Verizon store. The rep there said they have 7216s and 7232-P2 's in plenty of quantity! (I didn't tell him I wanted to switch - just said I wanted to add one in place of an STB.)

Do the stores just let you switch them out for free, or do I have to pretend I'm adding more DVRs?
post #373 of 479 Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it necessary to have the 7232 P2 to get the 1.9 software, or is it also being pushed out on the '6416 boxes?
post #374 of 479 Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Is it necessary to have the 7232 P2 to get the 1.9 software, or is it also being pushed out on the '6416 boxes?

It is being pushed to all boxes. But the 6xxx series don't get the new hi-def guide. And reports are that doesn't run all that well on the older boxes, so you might want to consider an upgrade before it hits....
post #375 of 479 Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carysr View Post

I just got FIOS installed yesterday. The tech shows up with my 2 DVRs, but thye're both QIP-6416 (1st gen HD/DVR 160GB), which, according to dslreports, are phased out except for occasional refurbs only." The installation tech says that's all he's had for weeks and I have to call the compnay. I did, while he was still working, and the reps said there aren't any 500 gb DVRs available anywhere in the U.S. I asked him if the stores had them. He, and his supervisor, said no. If they did, the installers would too. He told me to complain to Motorola because they're not making them, and Verizon has been out of them for months. He told me to go on the Verizon web site and put my name on the waiting list.

Thanks to this site, I knew that what they were telling me wasn't true. I called my local Verizon store. The rep there said they have 7216s and 7232-P2 's in plenty of quantity! (I didn't tell him I wanted to switch - just said I wanted to add one in place of an STB.)

Do the stores just let you switch them out for free, or do I have to pretend I'm adding more DVRs?

It's free. I'd call the store first to check stock.

George in Northern Virginia
post #376 of 479 Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the process to add adrive to the 7232 and have it properly recognized for recording and shown on the net apps? After a while the DVr shows both disks properly .
post #377 of 479 Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM

post #378 of 479 Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Liked: 12
Does adding a drive erase shows already recorded on your dvr drive?
post #379 of 479 Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzzie3 View Post

Does adding a drive erase shows already recorded on your dvr drive?

No
post #380 of 479 Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I have a 7232, with 1.9 upgrade about ~2 months ago (HB), recently every time I turn on the DVR, I have to set TV Type 4:3 or HD 16:9. I have set it through the main settings etc. minor annoyance but any thoughts?

BTW for those of you just getting 1.9..congrats...and it took me a little while to get used to but I i did and I like it now, still working on my best "view" the colors at first seemed muted a bit and the Font is still a little small (or my eyes or getting old) but overall I like it.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #381 of 479 Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

I have a 7232, with 1.9 upgrade about ~2 months ago (HB), recently every time I turn on the DVR, I have to set TV Type 4:3 or HD 16:9. I have set it through the main settings etc. minor annoyance but any thoughts?

This might help:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r264...member-TV-Type
post #382 of 479 Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreenD View Post

This might help:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r264...member-TV-Type

Worked thanks...amazing what google can do...I should try it

Long Live The Gorn!
post #383 of 479 Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night two Verizon rep's came to my door to pitch me on adding FIOS TV to my existing Internet and phone bundle, offering the multi-room HD DVR free for life as an inducement. I told them that I was reluctant to go from separate DVR's with each of my TV's, as I have now with DirecTV, because I like to be able to record something spontaneously from whatever room I'm viewing and then be able to play it back from that same STB. I was under the impression that all recording has to be done from the central DVR, in whatever room it sits, for the program to be played back there or anywhere else in the house. They said that's no longer the case, i.e., that you can record from any box and play from any box.

In the immortal words of John Lennon, "Just Gimme' Some Truth."
post #384 of 479 Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Truth. I have 2 DVR units and 3 non-DVR units. I can view any recording from either DVR from any box in the house and I can start/schedule a recording from any box. On the non-DVR boxes it will ask wich DVR I want to record on. I can also schedule recordings or manage content from my Droid from anywhere I have cell service. Keep in mind tat you might want more than one DVR like I have because they on;y have 2 tuners and it sounds like you are used to having more than 2 tuners to record from.

Quote:

...They said that's no longer the case, i.e., that you can record from any box and play from any box.

In the immortal words of John Lennon, "Just Gimme' Some Truth."

post #385 of 479 Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

Truth. Keep in mind tat you might want more than one DVR like I have because they on;y have 2 tuners and it sounds like you are used to having more than 2 tuners to record from.

I don't follow. I thought with the Multi-room DVR and two receivers that each can both record and play you have the same capabilities of individual DVRs?

Also...can anyone tell me the difference between the Motorola and Cisco models?
post #386 of 479 Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't follow. I thought with the Multi-room DVR and two receivers that each can both record and play you have the same capabilities of individual DVRs?

Multi-room DVR is just a feature to allow you to share your DVR services across all set-top boxes. So you can view, schedule, and delete items on a DVR from any STB.

What TH3_FRB is saying is that with one DVR, you have only 2 tuners in that DVR, so you can only record 2 things at a time on that DVR and watch a third channel. If you are accustomed to recording more than 2 shows at a time than you might want a second DVR.

SOme people also have 2 DVRs for more space, but with IMG 1.9 supporting external storage, some find this unnecessary now.
post #387 of 479 Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. You are limited to the 2 tuners in a single DVR box unless you opt to run a second DVR box like we do. We can be recording 4 things at the same time. We've never had an issue with storage space having 2 DVRs and it's even better now that we don't need to double record things if we aren't sure which room we want to watch it in - both DVRs are accessible from every box in the house.
post #388 of 479 Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

That's exactly what I'm saying. You are limited to the 2 tuners in a single DVR box unless you opt to run a second DVR box like we do. We can be recording 4 things at the same time. We've never had an issue with storage space having 2 DVRs and it's even better now that we don't need to double record things if we aren't sure which room we want to watch it in - both DVRs are accessible from every box in the house.

And if it's a concern, you don't have to set up multi-room (in case you want to record something on one DVR and not have it available on another DVR or STB.) But I'd jump on that free multi-room deal!

BTW with the couple of bucks I've "saved" since Cinemax is now part of the Ultimate package, I might upgrade a non-DVR HD box and go multi-room.
post #389 of 479 Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You can have multiple DVRs and only use the primary for whole-home. So the main DVR is accessible from everywhere in the house but the secondary DVRs can only be accessed from that specific room. Or you can link them all up and watch everything from everywhere.
post #390 of 479 Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM

So, time to chime in on my thoughts of the new box. I got lucky when I signed up on Verizon site as it came a week later.

I seem to be experiencing a few glitches...

Sometimes after I press menu button and then attempt to highlight other functions within the menu, the screen just simply reverts back to live TV.

Occasionally when I hit menu, it keeps asking me to name my DVR

When trying to do a search for a show to record, I have to switch to the phone style entry for letters. If I use the pop up with only letters, as soon as I highlight and enter the first letter, it locks me out from entering in any other letters and says no shows match my search.

I do like the full screen guide... thank goodness as Verizon was years behind the times with the old one.

I added an external 1tb drive via an icy dock enclosure w/ esata and it works fine. Just had to format it exfat style via my PC first before the verizon box would recognize it.

Now if I can only figure out a way to transfer those files back to my pc to edit out commercials or keep archive copies I'd be in heaven. Unfortunately the disc isn't recognized by Windows once Verizon formats it. It shows up in disc management... but in order to access it you have to initialize it and format it which obviously wipes out whatever you had recorded on it. I'm sure we'll be seeing more about this topic soon.... ;-)
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page