Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 479 Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

You don't indicate where you are located, but if you have a Vzn store within a reasonable distance, you can take them there and swap them out.

I am in the Philadelphia suburbs. The 3 fios stores nearest to me are all an hour away...may be worth it if they will just swap it out and I can find a Saturday I don't have to do anything.

I read online that if you try to upgrade online they hit you with a $40 fee. Ridiculous that if you are a new customer you don't get the newest equipment. I understand that the installer may not have had any more 7232 boxes but they should upgrade me for free if I ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 479 Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM

I just found this on the fios site when I looked at the 'manage my dvr'

apparently the CHS435 is also 500gb capacity and external drive compatible
post #453 of 479 Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
wrxd, if your next question is going to be: which one's better, you'll probably have a hard time getting a good answer because in most cases you get one or the other, so comparisions aren't likely. Regarding your question about the software revision, the latest Interactive Media Guide software is version 1.9. You can find this information by going into the menu, and selecting the... well, I'm forgetting the menu item name off the top of my head. Anyway, there is a lot more information in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590208 about Verizon's FiOS TV. Hope this helps some.

Edit: Menu -> Settings -> "System Information" for Release number.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #454 of 479 Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxd View Post

I also have the multi-room system with a DVR on my main tv with a STB in by bedroom but I am not clear on what the capabilities are. I want to be able to record, pause and RWD live tv from both my main TV and in my bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post

Not quite.
This you cannot do. You need a DVR in the bedroom to pause and rewind live TV in this room.

You CAN pause and rewind "live" TV with your bedroom STB, sorta.... I cheat! I have the same setup that you have (DVR in den STB in bedroom). If I'm watching a program that I will be wanting to pause or rewind (like sports etc) I just start recording it (press the record button) then switch to watching the recording.

Dan
post #455 of 479 Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansyacht View Post

You CAN pause and rewind "live" TV with your bedroom STB, sorta.... I cheat! I have the same setup that you have (DVR in den STB in bedroom). If I'm watching a program that I will be wanting to pause or rewind (like sports etc) I just start recording it (press the record button) then switch to watching the recording.

Dan

Good cheat. I been thinking that should theoretically work, but hadn't tried it yet. Glad to know it works!
post #456 of 479 Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having a problem where I cannot launch any of my Widgets. I get a "Connection Failure" type message when I try to start either Pandora or iHeart Radio. I'm noticing that the "WAN Coax" light on my standard issue Actiontek router is not lit, but the "LAN Coax" light is. The Media Guide data is still available but I haven't checked recently how many days out show up. Could this be an ONT problem? I have cycled power to the router, but I haven't unplugged it. Is there a service call in my future? Any ideas would be appreciated.

post #457 of 479 Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I'm having a problem where I cannot launch any of my Widgets. I get a "Connection Failure" type message when I try to start either Pandora or iHeart Radio. I'm noticing that the "WAN Coax" light on my standard issue Actiontek router is not lit, but the "LAN Coax" light is. The Media Guide data is still available but I haven't checked recently how many days out show up. Could this be an ONT problem? I have cycled power to the router, but I haven't unplugged it. Is there a service call in my future? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pull the plug on the Router and Unscrew the Coax, wait 2 minutes. Reconnect Coax then Plug power back in. Wait 2~3 minutes for the system to boot and establish connection to the Verizon network. If you still have no WAN connection call Verizon because you have a problem with service delivery.

Your Widgets/ Guide Data/ On Demand, ALL rely on the Data via that Router.

Do or do not. There is no try.
post #458 of 479 Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Nothing changed after trying your suggestions, so it looks like a call for service is next.

post #459 of 479 Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Thanks. Nothing changed after trying your suggestions, so it looks like a call for service is next.

You back in businees now? What was the problem?

Do or do not. There is no try.
post #460 of 479 Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for asking DSBall. No I'm not. I used the myverizon website to request help, but all that got me was an e-mail response telling me I should contact tech support...

"Our FiOS Technical Support Team is best equipped to resolve this issue. For your convenience, our technical support representatives are available to assist you by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please call (800) VERIZON or (800) 837-4966 for FiOS related repair and technical support."

So essentially it was a waste of time trying to use the online e-mail method. Obviously the next step is to follow what was stated above, which I'll do once I get home from work today and am in front of my STB/TV.

I never really use the Widgets anyway but I'm concerned that sooner or later my guide data is going to disappear if I don't get this resolved, which would suck.

post #461 of 479 Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, whatever the problem was, it's now gone. I still have a full week of guide data and I can start up different widgets including Pandora, so all's well that ends well... maybe.

post #462 of 479 Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Glitches like this are not unusual with Fios. At least once a month I lose the bedroom dvr in my multi room view. I have to run the autofix which always brings it back. And the bedroom dvr never loses the den view, so go figure.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #463 of 479 Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Like the Vzn NY thread, this thread has been quite for for some time now.

Got an on screen msg from Vzn this morning that there will be a new Media Guide installed during the night on June 26th.(after 12:00 am)

Hopefully this wil be a BIG improvement.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #464 of 479 Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

Like the Vzn NY thread, this thread has been quite for for some time now.
Got an on screen msg from Vzn this morning that there will be a new Media Guide installed during the night on June 26th.(after 12:00 am)
Hopefully this wil be a BIG improvement.
Yep, the many new features are pretty well documented here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27163017-
post #465 of 479 Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 AM

I'm having some bad handshake problems with my new Denon AVR -1613. Video is totally inconsistent. Sometimes it never comes on, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes it work fine.

I'm currently on 1.9.1 firmware. I called and Verizon does not know anything about firmware upgrade schedule. I may try Motorola next. Does anyone know if/when the next upgrade would be?

The Denon was a xmas gift, and in its current state, its a downgrade from my old kenwood. mad.gif
post #466 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Has anyone been having issues with the guide not coming up when called for and a general unresponsive nature of the DVR? This is especially evident when the system is first turned on. I have this on both of my 7232s.
post #467 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken, keep in mind that they are always"on" unless you actually unplug them.

To answer your question, both of ours do the same thing first thing in the morning. Then they are fine the rest of the day and evening. I beleive this started around the time of the last upgrade, but I'm not certain.

Now I know that I'm not alone. smile.gif

"Talk to me Goose"
post #468 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Has anyone been having issues with the guide not coming up when called for and a general unresponsive nature of the DVR? This is especially evident when the system is first turned on. I have this on both of my 7232s.
Actually this is a VERY well documented issue, and there is a fix already being deployed by Verizon.....but it just may not have hit your area yet.

Here is a LOT of detail about this very specific problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27461077-DVR-7232-Slow-Unrepsonsive-Until-Warms-Up-or-a-Reboot
post #469 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott...interesting reading.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #470 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Actually this is a VERY well documented issue, and there is a fix already being deployed by Verizon.....but it just may not have hit your area yet.
Here is a LOT of detail about this very specific problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27461077-DVR-7232-Slow-Unrepsonsive-Until-Warms-Up-or-a-Reboot
glad to see vz is fixing this. Very annoying.
post #471 of 479 Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Thanks guys. Misery loves company, and I see I have company. smile.gif
post #472 of 479 Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

All that and freeze-ups in the guide and sporadic rebooting, too. In what areas has the fix been deployed and what have been the results?
post #473 of 479 Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Everything is here...

Last few pages talk about how it is. and where it is and where it may be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

All that and freeze-ups in the guide and sporadic rebooting, too. In what areas has the fix been deployed and what have been the results?
post #474 of 479 Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Update rolled in my area last night - VHO7. All boxes in house updated. Hopefully this fixes all the delay/lockup nonsense.
post #475 of 479 Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Is the FireWire Port Active on my 7232? I'm interested in archiving HD content to my Win XP PC, like i had done years ago w/my moto 6412 while i was with Comcrap/TWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Is the FireWire Port Active on my 7232? I'm interested in archiving HD content to my Win XP PC, like i had done years ago w/my moto 6412 while i was with Comcrap/TWC.

I haven't tried with the 7232, but was able to with the 6416 I had prior to the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamparn View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

I haven't tried with the 7232, but was able to with the 6416 I had prior to the upgrade.

It is my understanding that the Firewire port is only active as another video output. In other words, you should be able to (in theory) play content from the DVR to the PC over the Firewire, and set up the PC to record it. However, it only happens in real-time. You can't just dump entire recording over to the PC.
Have you guys tested if it works? I'm thinking about ugprading to this.
post #476 of 479 Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Freak View Post

Have you guys tested if it works? I'm thinking about ugprading to this.
Yes, it works. There is a bug in the software, though, in that channels that are flagged as "Copy Freely" are passed correctly through the firewire of the 7232, BUT channels marked as "Copy Once" are not passed just like channels marked "Copy None". A small quirk, but still, some channels that I should be able to capture from, I cannot. Not sure who at Verizon to even file such a report to, or if they would care at all....
post #477 of 479 Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM

About to finally get around to capturing video stream from the box via 1394 to my PC. Can anyone confirm that this will work for streaming programs played back from the DVR or does this port only stream 'live' broadcasts.

Also, unrelated, has anyone devised a way to connect more than one external drive? From what I've read, eSATA cannot be chained (at least without using another external device). Only the WD 1TB AV drives are 'supported' and I haven't seen any WD 2TB AV drives anyway... I've one connected drive (unsupported) that I fear is getting ready to give up the ghost... hence I'd like to chain a second. Ideally (and not likely) I could make the 1st one read only (so I could watch the programs contained on it) and have new recordings go to the 2nd new one... yea, I'm probably asking WAY to much...

Thanks...

post #478 of 479 Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryebaum View Post

About to finally get around to capturing video stream from the box via 1394 to my PC. Can anyone confirm that this will work for streaming programs played back from the DVR or does this port only stream 'live' broadcasts.
Confirmed this works, and it works the same way for live broadcasts as it does for programs streamed from the DVR during playback. There is an issue with the box's interpretation of the copy protect flags, though. Everything marked "Copy Freely" can be transferred via firewire and captured (this is all broadcast networks and some basic cable channels). The error is that channels marked "Copy Once" or "Copy None" will not be streamed by the box through the Firewire output (even though "Copy Once" programs are SUPPOSED to be streamed by the box). What this means to you is that you can capture from of the broadcast networks, some basic channels, and that's it. None of the premium movie channels are streamable from this box over the Firewire for capture.
post #479 of 479 Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks. That should suffice as I don't subscribe to any 'movie channels' but hope that many of the cable channels will transfer. Along these lines, curious what software others are using on their PC side to capture/convert the video stream (also, will the stream be in HD?).. I'm waiting for the Elgato company to answer their phone, but know of other products like iSkysoft... just prefer to have others confirm that they work, work well (vs slow or poorly) etc.  Ideally, I'd like to capture the streams and store on my media server or transfer to iPad for playback.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page