Verizon Fios Motorola 7232 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 479 Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Tim McCune and RC51Ryder for your advice. I will post update in a couple of days once I get call VZ.
I actually talked to the tech (i have his cell# from previous visits) and he confirmed that they carry 7232 on his truck everyday. I'm in NoVA (sterling area).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 479 Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM

I actually just called VZ and had to tell them all those lies about pixellation and lost (skipped) recording time. They did remote reset and had me re-seat the cable in the back of the DVR. After reset they said that I should call back if problem re-occur. I kept pressing and he said they'll ship a replacement box to me. I said I don't feel comfortable and told them I want the tech to come out. They had me do the self diagnostic and it showed ok results for signal strength. I still kept pushing and finally they agreed to send a tech this coming sunday (i felt stupid but what can you do, i tried to sound agitated).

Now I have a dilemma in my mind. I know that I should be honest with a tech but still maybe I should complain about the lost records and such. I'm just afraid that if I'm honest and tell him that I truly wanted a newer box he might just charge me a truck roll and not replace anything. What do you guys think?
post #33 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 AM

I called V yesterday and said I want the new 7232, I said the recording space on my current DVR was insufficient. The cust service rep was no help she said she would transfer me to tech services. They said they would have someone call me in 24-48 hrs. Well they just called 8:30am and I explained to him that I would like a Motorola 7232 he said ok I'll be there in 45 minutes! Cool. When he gets here I will tell him my box is constantly rebooting and misssing recordings. To avoid the truck roll fee. I'll let ya know how it goes in 45 min.
post #34 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 AM

Tech came and installed a new 7232 and all is well. No charge! I'm a happy camper!
post #35 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

Sooooooo... I had a tech come out today for some Line issues, cabling etc...

And I asked him about the 7232's: He;s never ever seen one

I asked him about upgraded GPON ONT's: he has never seen one

I asked him about the newer ActionTech w/ 10/100/1000 ports: He's never seen one

Talking to this guy, I can tell he isn't BS'ing... and he even volunteered to call me when they eventually get any of this equipment in...

Now I was with him at his truck and he had all refurb 6416's and 7216's, older Actiontech's and older ONT's.

Pretty sad.

I am in the Franklin Square area of LI, NY.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. Here in the DC area, I was told that all trucks have them. Ironic because you're next door to the Corp. Hq.
post #36 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimfrey View Post

I actually just called VZ and had to tell them all those lies about pixellation and lost (skipped) recording time. They did remote reset and had me re-seat the cable in the back of the DVR. After reset they said that I should call back if problem re-occur. I kept pressing and he said they'll ship a replacement box to me. I said I don't feel comfortable and told them I want the tech to come out. They had me do the self diagnostic and it showed ok results for signal strength. I still kept pushing and finally they agreed to send a tech this coming sunday (i felt stupid but what can you do, i tried to sound agitated).

Now I have a dilemma in my mind. I know that I should be honest with a tech but still maybe I should complain about the lost records and such. I'm just afraid that if I'm honest and tell him that I truly wanted a newer box he might just charge me a truck roll and not replace anything. What do you guys think?

Like I said and it is ironic, I had to be dishonest with tech support and honest with the technician. Remember, the techs really don't care if they give you a 7232. They want to make you happy. Even in mrkalel's case, although he didn't get a 7232, I think he would have if the tech had one.
post #37 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I would still complain about the missing recordings. When he says "Ok, sounds like you have a bad hard drive. I will go to my truck and get you a new box." You say "Hey, I see on the Verizon site that the new Motorola 7232's are available. Can I get one of those if you have any?" That is all to it. If he says it is not on the web (I had a rep try that with me), point them to this address:
Moto 7232

Not that you have to do this last part but I greased my installer's palm with a $20 when I shook his hand as he was about to leave. Once I did that, he stayed an extra 5 minutes telling me about box and even upped my internet speeds from 20/15 to 20/20 for free since they no longer offer 15mb upload. I don't host a web server so the extra 5mb won't matter to me but the point is a small tip can go a long way if you do it correctly.
post #38 of 479 Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 PM

Liked: 11
So far I dont see anyone in LI with the 7232. i have only actually seen one person in NYC receiving one... so maybe LI doesn't have it yet?
post #39 of 479 Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM

The tech came over today to do some "troubleshooting". I told him I had missed recordings and he went back to his truck and got a brand new 7232. He installed it in 20 mins and everything works. He said they have been installing them for about 2 weeks now.
Thanks again to all advice I got from this thread. Bottomline: the only way to get it is to lie to CS to get the tech in home then to tell the tech that you have a problem with dvr (or maybe just tell him the truth). Either way it works!
post #40 of 479 Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The tech came over today to do some "troubleshooting". I told him I had missed recordings and he went back to his truck and got a brand new 7232. He installed it in 20 mins and everything works. He said they have been installing them for about 2 weeks now.
Thanks again to all advice I got from this thread. Bottomline: the only way to get it is to lie to CS to get the tech in home then to tell the tech that you have a problem with dvr (or maybe just tell him the truth). Either way it works!

Congratulations. It is sad that you have to lie to Verizon to get one of their products, but you have to do what you have to do.
post #41 of 479 Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 AM

Nice. Good for you! Enjoy the added recording space. Can't wait for the firmware update for guide enhancements and multi-room sharing.
post #42 of 479 Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Anyone in California have luck in getting the new box?
post #43 of 479 Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Well, this really pisses me off. I got FIOS about a month ago in Ashburn (NoVA area) and asked about bigger DVR and got brushed off. I have an older model with a puny hdd. Guess I'll need to call VZW and complain a bit to get a newer model.

"Oderint dum metuant"
-Caligula
post #44 of 479 Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Well, supposedly they are sending me one, had the tech verify model number twice, so we'll see what I get. Will report back when it arrives. Fingers crossed. Obviously the bigger deal is the E-SATA & when that gets activated....that will make the internal hard drive space moot. That's assuming it doesn't access recorded programs off the external hard drive at a snail's pace.
post #45 of 479 Old 11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

So far I dont see anyone in LI with the 7232. i have only actually seen one person in NYC receiving one... so maybe LI doesn't have it yet?

I agree, I don't know anyone on LI with one.
post #46 of 479 Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM

I was going to switch to Fios from Cablevision and asked for the 7232 and was told I would get an older DVR with 18 hours of HD recording space.

Told them sorry not going to take old outdated box with a new contract. They did not offer the box so I will wait for them to offer it with a new contract.

Lets see if they come up with a Motorola to get my business....
post #47 of 479 Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM

2 Questions:

1) for those with the new 7232, is it a better GUI, or the same old thing? Guide on 720 or 1080, or still 480 4x3?

2) I currently have no DVR, but want to upgrade to the new Moto. I hate the hot power sponge that my current one is. If i call and say its acting up and needs replacement (which is true), and then tell the tech when he's onsite that i want to upgrade to the DVR, will he be able to do that for me? (yes i know it's an extra charge)
post #48 of 479 Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM

LOL, received a 6416 after tech confirmed before shipping that it would be a 7232...sigh. It was worth a try, guess I'll wait a bit now before pursuing again.
post #49 of 479 Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg-one View Post

2 Questions:

1) for those with the new 7232, is it a better GUI, or the same old thing? Guide on 720 or 1080, or still 480 4x3?

2) I currently have no DVR, but want to upgrade to the new Moto. I hate the hot power sponge that my current one is. If i call and say its acting up and needs replacement (which is true), and then tell the tech when he's onsite that i want to upgrade to the DVR, will he be able to do that for me? (yes i know it's an extra charge)

1) Same. Supposedly, firmware update 1.9 will upgrade it.

2) Yes, if he has one on the truck and you shouldn't be charged. Please read the thread. It's not that long.
post #50 of 479 Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm on the verge of adding the third leg to my FIOS bundle by switching from DirecTV to FIOS, but I don't want to do so unless they guarantee that I'll get the latest 500MB 7232 DVR. However, I see in some of the ads that they're offering the multi-room DVR as part of the incentive. My question is whether the multi-room DVR is as updated as is the newer one-room 7232 DVR?
post #51 of 479 Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I'm on the verge of adding the third leg to my FIOS bundle by switching from DirecTV to FIOS, but I don't want to do so unless they guarantee that I'll get the latest 500MB 7232 DVR. However, I see in some of the ads that they're offering the multi-room DVR as part of the incentive. My question is whether the multi-room DVR is as updated as is the newer one-room 7232 DVR?

Any of the Verizon DVRs can be a multi-room, it's just a software addition. I know of no way yet for Verizon to guarantee a 7232 when you sign up. They guaranteed me one when I asked for an upgrade and when the mail arrived, it was the same model. If you sign up for an install and they don't have the 7232 on the truck, you can always refuse.
post #52 of 479 Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my 6416 switched out to 7232. The newer DVR runs much cooler than the 6416. There are no vent holes on the top of the box and therefore much quieter as well. About the only thing that sort of bothers me is that it's not as wide as the 6416 (~15.5"), so it doesn't fit in with the rest of my HT gear on the rack.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #53 of 479 Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Supposedly the real supply is coming January 2011 (to where you can order by mail), but we've all learned not to trust Verizon dates.
post #54 of 479 Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Just got my 6416 switched out to 7232. The newer DVR runs much cooler than the 6416. There are no vent holes on the top of the box and therefore much quieter as well. About the only thing that sort of bothers me is that it's not as wide as the 6416 (~15.5"), so it doesn't fit in with the rest of my HT gear on the rack.

Great to hear! My old Motorola gray box could fry an egg on top. I live in southern CA, and it's in an AV cabinet, so the heat from that thing is a real problem. I unplug it during the day in the summer while I'm gone at work, it throws so much heat.

What method / process did you use to get your swapped with the proper model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post

Supposedly the real supply is coming January 2011 (to where you can order by mail), but we've all learned not to trust Verizon dates.

I also heard this from a VZW rep the other day, he said the new boxes were supposedly going to be widely available "next month". Many grains of salt were taken of course, but it seems the internal info being passed around is that Jan 11 is the timeframe.
post #55 of 479 Old 12-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Another tidbit:

Dear Customer,

This email serves as confirmation that you have been placed on Verizon's waiting list to receive additional information about our expanded FiOS TV DVR storage options, which will be available in early 2011. When inventory becomes available, we will send you a follow-up email to determine if you are still interested and will advise you of your options to place an order for an expanded FiOS TV DVR storage device based on the FiOSĀ® TV package you are subscribed to.

Please note that you are under no obligation at this time and no further action required on your part.

Thank you,

Verizon
post #56 of 479 Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 PM

I was trying to upgrade both my old Tivo HD series 3's to the new Series 4 Premieres. One worked and one didnt, so I thought it was CableCard so I had tech come out. He was super nice and we figured out the Tivo Premiere box was not good.

Long story short, he told me CableCards were crappy in general and pushed me to try these Brand New boxes from Moto, the 7232. I said ok, I will try and let him know. He installed a new box direct from his truck.

Im on the fence... its seems decent. Although I must admit Ive been using Tivo for the most part ever since it came out so Im a big Tivo fan. The 7232 menu system is still in 4:3 aspect ratio unlike Premiere which is now Full HD. There is no Pandora or Amazon Video on Demand which is a bit of a bummer since I liked those services on Tivo, however its cool with FIOS that you get the past 5 episodes of most new shows on Free channels on Demand.

Im on the fence between staying with Tivo Premieres or keeping 7232 box and then getting an HD reliever for my room (to replace other Premiere) and go with multi-room viewing. I dont like I wont be able to pause Live TV by not having a DVR in my room as well as main room though. Maybe keep 7232 for main room and Tivo Premiere for Bedroom?

Thoughts, advice or suggestions?
post #57 of 479 Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKINGS View Post

I was trying to upgrade both my old Tivo HD series 3's to the new Series 4 Premieres. One worked and one didn't, so I thought it was CableCard so I had tech come out. He was super nice and we figured out the Tivo Premiere box was not good.

Long story short, he told me CableCards were crappy in general and pushed me to try these Brand New boxes from Moto, the 7232. I said ok, I will try and let him know. He installed a new box direct from his truck.

I'm on the fence... its seems decent. Although I must admit Ive been using Tivo for the most part ever since it came out so I'm a big Tivo fan. The 7232 menu system is still in 4:3 aspect ratio unlike Premiere which is now Full HD. There is no Pandora or Amazon Video on Demand which is a bit of a bummer since I liked those services on Tivo, however its cool with FIOS that you get the past 5 episodes of most new shows on Free channels on Demand.

I'm on the fence between staying with Tivo Premieres or keeping 7232 box and then getting an HD reliever for my room (to replace other Premiere) and go with multi-room viewing. I don't like I wont be able to pause Live TV by not having a DVR in my room as well as main room though. Maybe keep 7232 for main room and Tivo Premiere for Bedroom?

Thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Firmware 1.9 is supposed to address the clunky menu and that's being rolled out starting this month. Also, the 7232 has a multi room dvr capability so you can watch recorded content on other STBs. Lastly, although Vz can be glacial with updates and new services, they may offer Pandora and other services in the future. That's not a big deal to people like me with bluray players because I get Pan. and Amz though it.

What I generally do with decisions like this is apply decision theory. Make a list of what's important to you and assign a priority, then rank the Tivo and 7232. Good luck.
post #58 of 479 Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post

LOL, received a 6416 after tech confirmed before shipping that it would be a 7232...sigh. It was worth a try, guess I'll wait a bit now before pursuing again.

Add me to this list - I have a 7216 currently, and UPS brought a 6416 instead of the 7232 as a replacement

I'll try either via a store or a tech visit.
post #59 of 479 Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Add me to the list

Called VZN, got a tech sent out and replaced my grey moto with the new 7232

Guess Ill wait and see whats to come, its still using 1.8 for now, maybe 1.9 will come soon in a update

Does anyone know the codes to get into the box settings to check temps and hdd info? I tried the codes for the grey box and they dont seem to work or maybe Im remembering them wrong

NVM, old codes worked, i just was inputting them wrong

500GB HDD!
ST3500414CS
86F/30C

512MB SYSTEM RAM
64MB FLASH RAM

Movieguy
post #60 of 479 Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post

Add me to this list - I have a 7216 currently, and UPS brought a 6416 instead of the 7232 as a replacement

Update - got my box. So nice to have 500GB now!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page