Verizon Fios Motorola 7232 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 479 Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know if these are standard issue for new installs in Hampton Roads area of VA. I'm considering jumping from Cox to Fios for a number of reasons but more storage and multi-room DRV are important. Is firmware 1.9 standard yet? Can I run multiple DVRs together in multi-room mode? Meaning be able to access the content from 2 in any other room or does one have to be the primary (and only) source for multi-room content with the others just being local to the room they are installed in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 479 Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For all the Beta Testers out there... If you can let us know... Has the functionality of the Multi-Room DVR feature been increased?

Specifically... Can other DVR's now pull rec's from the Multi? I was told it was coming... I pray it is...
post #93 of 479 Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
When playing an On Demand selection, there seems to be only one fast forward speed. With Comcast, each press of he FF key resulted in a faster FF speed up to 4 or 5x as I recall.

With the 7232, is there any way to FF more quickly than just pressing the FF key? It can take a very long time to advance a movie.
post #94 of 479 Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM

No not with VOD, only with DVR recordings. This is independent of FiOS DVR model. On Demand fastforwards at only 1 speed, DVR recordings at 3 speeds.

Also many TV shows in VOD don't allow any fastforward/pause/rewind at all which must be the preference of their respective network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipetz View Post

When playing an On Demand selection, there seems to be only one fast forward speed. With the 7232, is there any way to FF more quickly than just pressing the FF key? It can take a very long time to advance a movie.

post #95 of 479 Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron4 View Post

No not with VOD, only with DVR recordings. This is independent of FiOS DVR model. On Demand fastforwards at only 1 speed, DVR recordings at 3 speeds.

Also many TV shows in VOD don't allow any fastforward/pause/rewind at all which must be the preference of their respective network.

Thanks!

Another question on VOD... With Comcast VOD, many if not all titles specified the date through which the show would be available. Particularly useful for kids shows so we know how long we have to watch a particular episode or movie. Can't seem to find same thing with FiOS. Does it exist?

Also, a show that I wanted to create a series recording for created a conflict with previously set recordings. So I wanted set a series recording on the DVR for the show on an alternate viewing time. I set the series to record on that specific time and naturally needed to select First Run and Repeats since technically the show would be a repeat since it was rebroadcast at an alternative time slot. Once I set the specified time parameter, it would not let me arrow down to select the duplicates parameter which is set to Yes.

Doesn't Duplicates mean recordings of the same episode? Why can't I select No Duplicates with a series recording at a specific time? Sorry if this sounds confusing...
post #96 of 479 Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since you have it set to record at the specific time slot. It needs to record FR & Repeats and the Yes for duplicates ensures that every episode at that time slot gets recorded. It will work as set as long as the program always airs at that exact time slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipetz View Post

Thanks!

Another question on VOD... With Comcast VOD, many if not all titles specified the date through which the show would be available. Particularly useful for kids shows so we know how long we have to watch a particular episode or movie. Can't seem to find same thing with FiOS. Does it exist?

Also, a show that I wanted to create a series recording for created a conflict with previously set recordings. So I wanted set a series recording on the DVR for the show on an alternate viewing time. I set the series to record on that specific time and naturally needed to select First Run and Repeats since technically the show would be a repeat since it was rebroadcast at an alternative time slot. Once I set the specified time parameter, it would not let me arrow down to select the duplicates parameter which is set to Yes.

Doesn't Duplicates mean recordings of the same episode? Why can't I select No Duplicates with a series recording at a specific time? Sorry if this sounds confusing...

post #97 of 479 Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

I called the Verizon store on Staten Island,no new Motorola boxes till end of Feb.
post #98 of 479 Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Drive to Jersey. It ain't that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post

I called the Verizon store on Staten Island,no new Motorola boxes till end of Feb.

post #99 of 479 Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 PM

I went to the Paramus store on Friday and the rep said they lots of the 7232s. He said the Jersey city store only had a few and they were thinking of bringing some 7232 inventory from Paramus to Jersey City. If you can go to the Paramus store on route 17 north you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 7232.
post #100 of 479 Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamparn View Post
Well, I called Verizon, and they are sending me the remote eye (free). I asked if they could send me more than one, as I want to use a splitter to have remote eyes in more than one room. The rep told me they can only send out one at a time, but I could call back the next day, and request another one.

While waiting for the eye to show up, I did a quick test this morning.
I have a stereo headphone extension cable, which is the same type of plug as the remote eye.
I plugged it into the back of the box (with nothing at the other end), and it disabled the eye on the front. That tells me that in all likelihood, plugging an actual remote eye into the box will also disable the eye on the front.

That sucks for me, as I wanted to use the remote eye (and if I could get three of them, and have them all work with a splitter) to get the remote signal from the three other rooms where I pump the DVR output.
Currently, I'm using a Jensen IR->RF->IR system, and it is decent (but not perfect). It also looks ugly to have the emitter stuck to the front of the DVR.
However, if plugging in the eye disables the front eye, then I would need a fourth eye in the same room as the DVR, for local control.

Has anyone tried plugging two remote eyes into one DVR, using a headphone splitter?
I have more information on this, from my own testing.
The 7232 CAN support two of the "Remote IR Extenders" that Verizon sent (I called and asked them to send me another one - which they were happy to do at no cost). I plugged them into a standard headphone splitter from Radio Shack.
One is run up to above the TV in that room (since the IR "eye" on the front of the DVR is disabled as soon as you plug in the remote "eye"). The other goes into a small project box from Radio Shack, where I have the emitter from my current wireless IR sender. I closed up the box, and I can still control the DVR from within the same room, or any of the other 3 rooms where I have the wireless IR senders.
I still have the same issue with the IR-to-RF-to-IR signal getting interference on my longest run, but that's why I have a wired system on the way from SmartHome.
By the way, Xantech now makes a direct-wire solution that works for most DVRs, including the Motorola 7000 series ones. It connects the Xantech block directly to the "IR In" jack on the back of the DVR, no emitters required. Of course, the cable costs 5x the cost of an emitter ($25 vs. $5).
post #101 of 479 Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I swaped my old DVR for a 7232, no swap charge, yesterday at the Verizon store in Santa Fe Springs CA.
post #102 of 479 Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM

I have to say the only thing I love about the 7232 is the amount of recording space. Besides that there has been nothing but problems! The big selling point in switching from Comcast to Fios in October was this DVR and what it could do. Lies, lies, and more lies. The sales man told us you could backup recordings online and guess what YOU CANT! From day one (and became worse) was the pixelation issue. Its not a wiring issue more of a signal issue. Anyway, Monday came home to what seem to be ok till i turned on the tv and box on (weird because the dvr always stays on). Well, it would turned on for 5 seconds then turn off, every light would light up, numbers all read 8 then shut off a light on the right would blink for about 15 seconds then it would turn off and then turn right back on showing the time. Kept doing it. Used the in-home agent till I was told to call tech support. After some test I was informed of a power outage in the area. Didnt come back on till the next morning. Today, came home (wednesday) and the same thing! Called tech support and was told a power outage wouldnt make the receiver do that and the receiver has a signal. After every single test the only outcome is replacing! The kicker, Im in the middle of a nor' easter so WHO KNOWS when I will get that replacement. On top of that, my DVR is 75% full. Do you have any idea how many recordings that is! Fios customer service sucks and there are no guarantees of a refund either and I better get the same DVR too! Sorry for the rant!
post #103 of 479 Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mine works like a charm since I swapped my old box out for this at the Paramus, NJ store. Smooth video, no pixelation, records as advertised. Great upgrade, for free no less.

My life is set at reference level.
post #104 of 479 Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have more information on this, from my own testing.
The 7232 CAN support two of the "Remote IR Extenders" that Verizon sent (I called and asked them to send me another one - which they were happy to do at no cost). I plugged them into a standard headphone splitter from Radio Shack.
One is run up to above the TV in that room (since the IR "eye" on the front of the DVR is disabled as soon as you plug in the remote "eye"). The other goes into a small project box from Radio Shack, where I have the emitter from my current wireless IR sender. I closed up the box, and I can still control the DVR from within the same room, or any of the other 3 rooms where I have the wireless IR senders.
I still have the same issue with the IR-to-RF-to-IR signal getting interference on my longest run, but that's why I have a wired system on the way from SmartHome.
By the way, Xantech now makes a direct-wire solution that works for most DVRs, including the Motorola 7000 series ones. It connects the Xantech block directly to the "IR In" jack on the back of the DVR, no emitters required. Of course, the cable costs 5x the cost of an emitter ($25 vs. $5).

Does the remote eye have a mono or stereo plug?
Yesterday I tried using a stereo plug (2 black rings - 3 sections) from my Harmony RF/IR Blaster to the 7232, and it didn't work. The plugs on the Harmony RF/IR Blaster are mono (1 black ring / two sections)
Thanks,
Jay

Also, what number did you call to get the remote eye?
post #105 of 479 Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Does the remote eye have a mono or stereo plug?
Yesterday I tried using a stereo plug (2 black rings - 3 sections) from my Harmony RF/IR Blaster to the 7232, and it didn't work. The plugs on the Harmony RF/IR Blaster are mono (1 black ring / two sections)
Thanks,
Jay

Also, what number did you call to get the remote eye?

the remote eye is a STEREO plug.
However, not all IR systems are wired alike. I know that Xantech makes an adapter cable to direct-wire their systems to the back of the DVR.

I called the customer support number (888-553-1555) to get the remote eye.

I wired up my parts from Smarthome the other day, and they are working great. The only issue is that it takes bit of adjusting to get the eyes angled just right, because I didn't want to spend the extra money for the lcd/plasma-proof ones. With creative placement, it can be done with the "regular" eyes.
post #106 of 479 Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Swapped out my old boxes at the Verizon Plus store in Redlands, CA. The extra capacity is great and the black sleek design fits in better with my components. Command inputs seem a tad faster, still playing with them...
post #107 of 479 Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM

I haven't seen anyone respond to the question "Can you watch recordings on one DVR on a second DVR with the new update 1.9". This is kind of important for me... I'm feeling very ambivalent about moving over to FIOS. It is scheduled on weds. I am going from 3 HD DVR's that can share recordings among each other to whatever I can get on FIOS...I'm very worried I'll be very dissapointed with the (honestly) antiquated equipment comparitively.

Help?

John
post #108 of 479 Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I asked last week at my local Fios store and they said DVRs can't currently share content with each other - no idea if/when it would be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahl View Post

I haven't seen anyone respond to the question "Can you watch recordings on one DVR on a second DVR with the new update 1.9".

Help?

John

post #109 of 479 Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

IMG 1.9, eta March

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

I asked last week at my local Fios store and they said DVRs can't currently share content with each other - no idea if/when it would be possible.

post #110 of 479 Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
However, not all IR systems are wired alike. I know that Xantech makes an adapter cable to direct-wire their systems to the back of the DVR.

I wired up my parts from Smarthome the other day, and they are working great. The only issue is that it takes bit of adjusting to get the eyes angled just right, because I didn't want to spend the extra money for the lcd/plasma-proof ones. With creative placement, it can be done with the "regular" eyes.
Thanks.
Over the weekend, I tried with a stereo plug cable, and with a mono plug cable, and neither one worked. I plan to call the number and get a remote eye.
post #111 of 479 Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am about to get (hopefully) one of these babies installed this weekend as part of my new FIOS install and can't seem to find a clear answer if there is a setting in one of the setup menus that lets me control whether the DVR outputs Dolby Digital or PCM on its coaxial digital output.

Can anyone clarify this point for me?

Thanks!
post #112 of 479 Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Well I put myself down on the waiting list for a moto 7232 box in Jersey City and was told that there would be a $40 charge!
I could have sworn that I read other people were making an even exchange,no charge,am I wrong? Does it differ from state to state? What's the deal? Is it because of limited availability?I don't mind paying because I can really use the extra storage space because I record tons of stuff,but still...
post #113 of 479 Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Go to a local FiOS store and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post

Well I put myself down on the waiting list for a moto 7232 box in Jersey City and was told that there would be a $40 charge!
I could have sworn that I read other people were making an even exchange,no charge,am I wrong? Does it differ from state to state? What's the deal? Is it because of limited availability?I don't mind paying because I can really use the extra storage space because I record tons of stuff,but still...

post #114 of 479 Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the number. I called Wed night, and just got an email they are on the truck for delivery today.
post #115 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had FIOS about 2 years ago and the DVR box was so bad I cancelled service after a week and went back to DIrectv. The new boxes seem to be much better. I had a few questions for those with 7232's.

1. Is there a way to search shows without needing to know what time the show comes on. With Directv I can search by show name, actor, etc. Then I have a choice of picking the HD or SD version of the show.

2. Is there a limit to how many scheduled recordings you can have. Directv maxes out at around 41 (give or take a few). Also, does it tell you about conflicts before they happen or is there just a priority list.

3. In NY and NJ how much (about) does tax add to the triple play at the end of the month?

4. With Directv I often (just of late) have playback issues. How are the new boxes? Are they buggy or pretty solid?

5. Is there anything you would change on these boxes which annoy you?

6. Do the boxes support 1080P?

7. Is Verizon considering a 3D channel. I know D is coming out with one (not a deal breaker).

8. One last questionand probably the most important. How does the Media DVR work with the 7232's? Is it a link between all the boxes so every box in the house can be networked? Or are only show recorded on the media DVR able to be pushed to the other sets? With D you can netowrk all the boxes and then watch recorded material on any local box in any room.
post #116 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post
I had FIOS about 2 years ago and the DVR box was so bad I cancelled service after a week and went back to DIrectv. The new boxes seem to be much better. I had a few questions for those with 7232's.

1. Is there a way to search shows without needing to know what time the show comes on. With Directv I can search by show name, actor, etc. Then I have a choice of picking the HD or SD version of the show.
Yes. IMG 1.8 has advanced Search. Search is even better in 1.9 (Month or so out before release).

Quote:
2. Is there a limit to how many scheduled recordings you can have. Directv maxes out at around 41 (give or take a few). Also, does it tell you about conflicts before they happen or is there just a priority list.
I have not reached a limit. Does not mean there isn't, but currently I have 33 Series Recordings set.

Quote:
3. In NY and NJ how much (about) does tax add to the triple play at the end of the month?
My tax is just over $24. When (not offered yet, it has been pulled) they offer Digital Voice than no tax so the bill is greatly reduced.

Quote:
4. With Directv I often (just of late) have playback issues. How are the new boxes? Are they buggy or pretty solid?
No issue with IMG 1.8 that I know of.

Quote:
5. Is there anything you would change on these boxes which annoy you?
Plenty of positive changes coming in IMG 1.9. Currently IMG 1.8 is only available.

Quote:
6. Do the boxes support 1080P?
I believe only 1080i, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
7. Is Verizon considering a 3D channel. I know D is coming out with one (not a deal breaker).
Verizon has plans to offer plenty more HD and 3D. Problem is they need to transition from QAM to IPTV. This is suppose to happen this year but it was suppose to have happened already. No idea when it really will.

Quote:
8. One last questionand probably the most important. How does the Media DVR work with the 7232's? Is it a link between all the boxes so every box in the house can be networked? Or are only show recorded on the media DVR able to be pushed to the other sets? With D you can netowrk all the boxes and then watch recorded material on any local box in any room.
With IMG 1.8 you can have ONE DVR's recordings viewed on other non DVR's. There are concurrent SD and HD limitations on how many can be viewed. Up to 2 HD's at one time but many can only do 1 HD at a time. This is in addition to whatever is viewed on the DVR. Supposedly that limitation will be increased, meaning more than 1 or 2 HD's. No idea when.

With IMG 1.9 (coming) you can have multiple DVR's and view any recording from any DVR on any box including the DVR's.
post #117 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

With IMG 1.9 (coming) you can have multiple DVR's and view any recording from any DVR on any box including the DVR's.

Are we sure about this? I was told at a local FIOS store that this would not be the case. It would seem likely to cause a loss of revenue for Verizon since there would be less néed for the higher price MRDVR. I do hope you are right.
post #118 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the scoop on the new box. I remember how clunky the older motorolla boxes were and how limiting 20hrs of HD recordings were. Overall I like Directv but the boxes have been having issues with playback lately and channel surfing is 6 seconds from channel to channel. Also, it cost me more because I don't have a triple play package. When I had Fios channel surfing was real fast.

Are there any issues with these new boxes?
post #119 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

You still need 1 MRDVR which is just an account setting and a $5 up charge. So two 7232's and one 7200 would cost roughly $40 depending on location and STB bundling.

And yes I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Are we sure about this? I was told at a local FIOS store that this would not be the case. It would seem likely to cause a loss of revenue for Verizon since there would be less néed for the higher price MRDVR. I do hope you are right.

post #120 of 479 Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Some of us are doing it right now! (And it's awesome.)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page